PDA

View Full Version : Debate about debate

clara4457
07-24-2003, 06:22 PM
I would like to debate about debate.

I really enjoy the posts in the dog house that express very different views about dog/cat/animal care. Some of the ones that I really enjoyed were the debate about "whether cats should be let outside". "spelling does count", "should you adopt of get from a breeder". "I don't understand the use of furkids", etc. I love hearing different views from different people, especially where different cultures are concerned.

I love adult conversations where people express their opinions without resorting to flaming or name calling. That is not to say the all of the younger pettalkers do it. Most of the teens on this board have very intelligent and well thought out arguments which I really enjoy reading, and some of the older pettalkers resort to flame throwing. When I say adult arguments, I am totally talking about attitude not age!:) What frustrates me is when the thread is a lively debate and it disintegrates into flame throwing or name calling (ie - "you s**k", "you don't deserve to have a (dog/cat/pet), "what do you mean your dogs live outside - you are a terrible human being", etc.) Without knowing all the facts, do we have a tendency in inflict our moral and living environment on other people? Are we all guilty of trying to inflict our moral standards on other people or cultures? DEEP QUESTIONS

One thing I have learned with all the research I have done on animal behavior and training is that even in so called "expert opinion" views differ immensely. I am feeling more and more like I should take every opinion and tweak it to meet my lifestyle and needs.

I enjoy the posts that express a different opinion, but do not attack the poster personally. I guess as thinking human beings we should be allowed to express our opinions without ridicule. That is why even in Congress a right wing Republican and a left wing Democrat can disagree in debate and still go out do dinner together.

The reason I bring this up is I am in the midst of reading "Cultural Class" by Jean Donaldson and some of her theories are pretty controversial. I would love to discuss it, but am a little leary of bringing it up for fear of flames.:o

Would love to hear everyone's view on this. Hopefully I will not incite any riots on this thread! ;)

Logan
07-25-2003, 08:09 AM
No riots starting here, Clara! :) I think you have provided a well thought out, meaningful "debate on debate", and I agree with many of the points you made.

Sometimes saying nothing at all is better, isn't it? My mom always said that, but it took me a long time to believe that she was right!! :o

Thanks for your insight. And sorry, I would discuss the book with you, but I am not familiar with it. Maybe after reading a lively discussion here, I might just find out more about it and read it myself!

Logan

catland
07-25-2003, 10:24 AM
Clara - you've summed up the topic very nicely.

I once took a course on argumentation - and one of the ideas that I took away from it was that a sucessful argument had to possess both facts and emotions. (Gosh - I think there was a third element, but this class was 15 years ago:eek: )

Anyway, debates or debators tend to unravel when they don't remember this. We've seen this when the flamer resorts to nothing but spewing facts or venting emotion. Then the smart-ass elements (including myself :p ) just post funny things and mock them, but they never get it.;)

Rachel
07-26-2003, 07:56 AM
My concern has been that on a message board we don't seem to have the same concern about people's feelings that we would have if we were with them in person. We talk about others as if they were not here to see the conversation. We say things here that we wouldn't say to people in our social circle or at our school or workplace. Then there are hurt feelings or people are humiliated. In a social circle we would call that an insult. When the insulted person reacts, we seem astonished that there is reprisal.

I love this board because it has brought together people of various ages, places, and cultures. Of course we are not all going to think alike nor hold the same values near and dear to our hearts. I just wish we could be a little more careful how we phrase things so that our zeal in professing an opinion is not seen as diminishing others with whom we share this venue.

Twisterdog
07-26-2003, 04:37 PM
I really enjoy the posts in the dog house that express very different views

I agree. I have learned a lot of interesting things on the internet, on message boards and in chat rooms, by participating in threads and conversations where active debate was taking place. Hopefully, someone out there has also learned some things from me. That's the reason I participate in forums such as this one: to learn, and to teach. Sure, they can be fun and entertaining, too, and that's great. But I personally much prefer the threads like you spoke of, where different points of view are discussed and debated.

lizbud
07-29-2003, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by clara4457
I am in the midst of reading "Cultural Class" by Jean Donaldson and some of her theories are pretty controversial. I would love to discuss it, but am a little leary of bringing it up for fear of flames.:o

Would love to hear everyone's view on this. Hopefully I will not incite any riots on this thread! ;)

Clara4457,

I was so intrigued by the ideas in this book that you think
might be controversial, that I looked up several reviews of the
book. It sounds very interesting to me. I ordered it from the
library today(no copies at the branch I visited). I should have
it by next Tuesday. Can't wait to read it. When I do, I'd be glad
to discuss it.