PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about going back to school

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
07-23-2003, 02:24 PM
Hi again all :)

I'm thinking about going back to school for IT. I've already got my bachelor's degree in business management (talk about boring!) and DeVry University has an online program that is much shorter than a full blown course because they give me credit for the bachelor's degree I already have. I think this would be a great way to do it, and I would end up with a bachelor's degree in IT.

Everything I know about computers I've taught myself. I've never had any formal training on them except maybe a stray class on Windows and Excel way back when I first got Windows 95 or whatever it was before that. (:eek: :eek: ) Most people seem to think that I know a lot about computers, and are always asking me how to do things and such. So I figure taking this course would just be formalizing what I already know, and giving me a good basis to build on for the stuff I don't already know.

Now, one side of me says "How can I go wrong?" Have two bachelor's degree can only be a plus if I'm ever in the market for a job, but fortunately, the prospects of me having to look for a job anytime soon are very slim. However, that also means that I'm going to be spending out money that I won't be able to recoup in my current job. I'm sure my boss will appreciate it if I know more about the computer - he won't have to pay somebody else to build a website for us - but I'm also sure he's not going to pay me more for doing it.

So, that brings up the other side of me - the tight side - which says "Why are you spending that kind of money on education if you're never going to be able to recoup it?" The course is 48 credits, and right now the tuition is $395.00 per credit. So, saying the tuition will stay the same the entire time (which is unlikely. It will probably go up every year), I would be spending $18,960.00! :eek: :eek: I may be eligible for student loans, but I'm more than likely not eligible for any other kind of student aid, so that almost $19,000.00 will be coming out of my pocket! So my tight side is saying, "Aren't there some shorter courses, like maybe one or two day seminar kind of things, that would cost a lot less and give me the knowledge base I'm looking for without all the cost?"

I guess I don't really know what I'm asking for from you guys. Maybe just an affirmation that I'm not wasting my money? I've always thought that spending money on education is never a waste, but now when it's coming out of my pocket, I guess I'm having some doubts. Also, I guess I'm having doubts about the whole going back to school thing. They said it would probably be about 2 hours a week per credit, so if I took 2-4 credit classes, that would mean 16 hours of school work. Which I could do if I spent less time on PT ;) but sometimes now it just seems like I'm so busy I have no time for myself, so what's it going to be if I've got 16 hours of school work on top of that?

I'm almost 100% sure I'm going to do this, and maybe start with just one class to work my way into it, but then it'll take me longer to finish also - which I don't want. I want it done now and my degree in hand already! ;) :rolleyes: :D

So I guess I'm just looking for your ideas - either for or against - and probably some support so I lose all these self doubts.

Thanks for listening while I babble on about this! :D

mugsy
07-23-2003, 02:45 PM
I think it's a great idea! Can you send me the info on the program for Mike? That would be perfect for him. He doesn't have a degree at all so I'm sure he would have to have more than 48 credits, but, he has been wanting to go back to school and an online program would be great for him.

I agree....you can never go wrong with more education. It just makes you that much more marketable.

As for the tight side....you WILL recoup the cost at some point, probably, without even realizing it. Get student loans, then you can pay it back slowly.

Good luck! No babbling going on here.....you want babbling go to my latest thread in the Dog House! :D :p

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
07-23-2003, 02:58 PM
Thanks Mugsy. I appreciate the boost. :D

Here's the link to DeVry Online (http://www.devry.edu/online/) .

slick
07-23-2003, 04:23 PM
Debbie: Spending money on education is never a waste. I've worked in IT for the past 15 yrs and it's very fulfilling. I learn something new every day. It might be hard work but worth it in the end. The good thing about having an IT degree is that you can find work anywhere and there are many fields within IT that you can specialize. Good luck and keep us posted.

Airedalekisses
07-23-2003, 10:38 PM
Money on education is never wasted -I have 5 degrees! The old saying is one can never be too rich or too thin; well, I believe one can never have too much education or too many dogs!Good luck:D

NoahsMommy
07-24-2003, 01:10 AM
As a wise Psychology teacher once told me, "I'll be that age anyway, may as well be doing what I want to do." She was in her late 60s and just earned her PhD. (This doesn't have to apply to any "age"...its applies to everyone.)

GO FOR IT!!! I'll even be here to be your cheerleader!! :)

Rachel
07-24-2003, 06:41 AM
Actually it is better if this continuing education will help you improve yourself in the job (or field) you currently are in (as opposed to getting a different job) because that way it is tax deductible. I am no tax expert so please get the opinion of someone who is, but I do think this is something you should explore.

My husband got his MSW degree only 5 years before he retired. There was lots of effort, time, and money involved. It took 3 years going to school at night while he worked in the day. Looking back, he thinks of it as one of the best things he ever did.

His employer reimbursed him a portion of the tuition. It certainly wouldn't hurt to ask if your employer has any kind of tuition stipend for continuing education.

DeVry is a very well respected school. If you are going to commit yourself to this endeavor, I think going for the real thing is the best idea.

zippy-kat
07-24-2003, 08:14 AM
Go for it Debbie!!! :D

Edwina's Secretary
07-24-2003, 09:53 AM
Debbie....I don't think you can ever take enough classes. I do it all the time and will be finishing another certification in August.

There might be other ways you can achieve your objective. Is it the degree you want, or the knowledge? If it is the knowledge there might be other programs -- through associations or the like -- where you can get the knowledge without having to take all the classes required for a degree -- some of which may be of no interest to you. And you might save some money!

Go for it!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
07-24-2003, 11:33 AM
Thanks everyone! I needed the boost. :) The bad news is that much of the time I spend here on PT will have to be dedicated to school, but I'm sure I'll still make time to keep up on all the "tails" going on. :D

Rachel, thanks for the idea about tax deductible. I had never thought of that! And I have been thinking about asking my boss for some sort of tuition reimbursement. I wouldn't expect him to pay full price - mainly because I know he never would - but even if he kicked in a couple hundred bucks I'd be happy. :D

Sara, it's basically the knowledge I'm looking for. I've thought about just taking various courses - like seminar type things - instead, to keep the cost down, but then I was thinking that if I'm going to do it, I might as well do it right, and have something to show for my efforts - and money spent! ;) :D We get brochures here on various classes that are offered, such as learning Access basics (a database program) and Advanced Access, HTML, and such. These classes are almost $300.00 for a 2 day class, and if you put a few of them together, they start adding up dollar wise too, and I'm sure there would be much more "depth" in an actual college course. But I can see that you can see what I was talking about in my dilemma in going through with it.

And actually, the money isn't a problem, I'll just have to cut back on some other "important" things like clothes, motorhome stuff, flowers and such in the garden, digital camera stuff, eating out.....you know, all the necessities in life. ;) :rolleyes: :D The only "money" issue is me being tight, but if I think about it, the money would be much better spent on an education than on clothes, motorhome stuff...... And besides, why would I be tight when it comes to education when I'm not tight when it comes to just about anything else? Sometimes I really wonder about my reasoning. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm feeling much better about it all today, and you all helped make the final decision. I'm doing it! :D

harpmom
07-24-2003, 01:00 PM
Add me into the column of folks saying "Go for it!" I have a couple of additional things to suggest to you to think about:

I'm told that continuing learning is one of the best ways to stave off Alzheimer's disease. I have no idea how old you are, but I remember that everytime I have a school assignment that I'd rather avoid. Keep learning as Alzheimer's prevention!

If the learning is the most important thing, you might look into IT programs at your local community college. At the community college I work for (and am a student at) we have programs in computer support, web design, networking (including certification). They probably have evening courses, possibly online courses and Saturday courses. And, I would bet that your local community college does not charge $395/credit hour either!