PDA

View Full Version : Web Page Development Advice Needed

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
07-23-2003, 02:06 PM
Hi all :)

So I signed up for a web site with ipower and got everything going there. Now my problem is, how do you go about creating a web page? I thought I had Microsoft FrontPage on my computer because I thought it came with the Office XP Professional Suite, but I guess it doesn't 'cause I can't find it anywhere on my computer.

So, before I go buying it, is FrontPage the best one to use for a novice website builder? I've heard good things about it, but I've also heard bad things, but some people just don't like Microsoft no matter what program it is. One of the things I want on the website is I want to be able to post pics and videos there, so they can appear here without using imagestation.

Any suggestions, ideas, links to helpful sites, etc would be most appreciated.

Thanks! :D

ScantyNebula
07-23-2003, 02:13 PM
Well ... I learned to make webpages on my own using basic HTML coding, inside Notepad. Trust me, its not hard. I do recommend checking out this site (http://www.pageresource.com/html/index2.htm) if you want to make a quick and painless website. I have actually never used frontpage or any page maker program =/

Good luck! I do this kind of stuff a lot, so if you need help, I can try to help you :)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
07-23-2003, 02:33 PM
Wow, that looks like a great site! I'll definitely have to spend some time there and see if I can figure out how to do all this. Thanks so much! :D

LoudLou
07-23-2003, 03:54 PM
I used Publisher for Louie's first site... I have just never had time to upload it. It was pretty easy.

binka_nugget
07-23-2003, 04:04 PM
With all my sites, I do old fashion html coding in notepad. It's not hard at all. Some good sites are lissaexplains.com and funky-chickens.com

luckies4me
07-23-2003, 04:50 PM
Notepad is a great plan, however if you have a personal file manager you can edit and change your site there, and do not have to edit it in notepad......yes I am lazy and don't like having to upload html files. Another great thing about this is that if you change one page, it changes every link that corresponds with it just by changing that one page. ;)

You are more than happy to view my site by clicking the WWW in my profile. That site is being totally redone (new graphics etc.) and moved. I am still practicing in Geocites HTML thingy, but once I am done will move everything to Brinkster.com

Brinkster.com has add free "free" hosting. Just make sure that your service allows remote linking before trying to, as I know a lot of companies consider that in violation of their policies.

If you need any help at all ask. I can make graphics, animations, blends, cutouts and know CCS, HTML, Java, Javascript and more.

If you want to see how my new site will look you can click here:
http://www.geocities.com/luckies4me/chins.html

Of course my sitemap is not up yet in the left cell (where you only see a number 1), but hopefully it will be done by the end of this week. (doubt it, hehe) :p

If you do have happen to get Frontpage or Dreamwaver, you can always buy a template. I have thought about doing this for my site, but feel so much better when I accomplish redesigning it on my own. Building can be fun! There are so many cute scripts out there. :D

Freckles
07-23-2003, 05:02 PM
and I'll be following it closely. I just completed a very introductory class in HTML and waiting to see if my project earned a passing grade.

ScantyNebula
07-23-2003, 05:39 PM
Hmm.. . are you paying for your webspace with ipower?

If you want I can give you the html code for one of my old sites and you can use that as something to go by, so all you would have to do is replace my images with yours, and so on. ..

captain
07-23-2003, 07:12 PM
Well, I have to say I use DreamWeaver .... because I went on a course to learn it, and I LOVE it. It is abit hard to use if you have NO IDEA tho! ('cos I tried to teach myself - BAD IDEA!!!)
I do Web design as part of my current job, and we use FrontPage as well to make it easy for everyone.

Although that basic HTML stuff ScantyNebula linked to is fabulous!!!
One of my friends used PublishIT ....... she said it was easy for her to use.

I have TONNES AND TONNES of website links. If you want me to send you some, give me a yell. More than happy to help!! GOOD LUCK!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
07-24-2003, 11:12 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I'm going to be putting this thread in my favorites so I can keep referring back to it because I have so little time to work on this right now. It'll probably be months before I actually have anything to show. :rolleyes: However, if I practice with stuff for work, I can justify my time spent on this to my boss. ;) So don't be surprised if in a couple of months I contact some of you privately for some help or suggestions.

Yes, I'm paying ipower. It was something like $7.95 a month and I got to register a domain name with them. I don't remember how many megabytes of storage I get or anything like that, but I'm thinking it's plenty for the time being - at least until I figure out what I'm doing here. :rolleyes: :D

Thanks so much everyone! :D