while
very tolerant of humans, are very aggressive with
other
dogs, and are unlikely to share territory
peacefully. Even
when dogs aren't especially aggressive, expect some
scuffling and jockeying for position -- after all,
dogs are
pack animals, and hierarchy is important to them.
Check
with your vet or breeder before introducing another
dog to
your family. Neutering also helps reduce the
potential for
conflicts.

Given time, most animals can learn to live with one
another. Pet Harmony offers some how-to suggestions. http://pet-harmony.com/

Sudilar
12-25-2001, 09:12 PM
I love having two dogs. I'd like to rescue another one, but I'm afraid I might disturb the balance between Killi and Shiloh.

Stenograsaurus
12-25-2001, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Sudilar:
<STRONG>I love having two dogs. I'd like to rescue another one, but I'm afraid I might disturb the balance between Killi and Shiloh.</STRONG>

Ditto for me!!!!! When I had three dogs, it was a total nightmare!!!!

AdoreMyDogs
12-25-2001, 10:57 PM
Graham is not aggressive towards other dogs, but he is little more then tolerant, and sometimes a downright grump towards other dogs. I would really love to get my dream GSD or a golden retreiver but my loner dog won't have it :)

mugsy
12-25-2001, 11:21 PM
Ok, so what's it mean when you have 15 living under one roof and live in harmony? lol

ShepherdLover
12-26-2001, 12:04 PM
We have 3 and I wish we got 2 males and 1 female. Ravin and Iris are always giving little snips at each other. It is fun to have 3 dogs, except when the 2 females fight. :(

When I grow up I think I'll probably have to have a few dogs to keep me happy. ;) :)

RachelJ
12-26-2001, 12:42 PM
I've had two dogs for quite some time. After my Tizzie went to the Rainbow Bridge, my husband and I decided we would be a one dog family with Hannah being our one dog. Even with Hannah being somewhat of a challenge, life settled down to such a point that after six months, I was again searching for a second dog, and eventually Tucker found us. There is an element of "it's always something" with two dogs and once you get used to that, life seems rather dull with just one dog. I know that as my husband and I get older, it would be wiser to limit ourselves to just one dog, but don't know if I can.

[ December 26, 2001: Message edited by: RachelJ ]

tatsxxx11
12-26-2001, 03:06 PM
Cody and Star love each other to pieces, and if ever they have an "issue," one or the other just backs down. Now, competing for my attention is the hard part for me! Can't give to one and not the other!! With three, well, I have a feeling that someone would always feel left out :( Still, I wish....!

jackiesdaisy1935
12-26-2001, 03:38 PM
Sandra, I think you are so right, I wanted to get another dog so much, of course Perry does not get along with any other dog except Daisy, but then when I think about it, Perry is Don's dog and he sits in the recliner with him, tecnically Daisy is my dog and I lay on the couch with her on my stomach, where would the third dog fit it. In my case it wouldn't be fair to another dog.
Jackie

KYS
12-26-2001, 06:30 PM
We have always had 1 small dog and 1 large dog. Worked out very nicely for hubby and me. But having 3 dogs, and 2 of them
large/dog dominant, (One
being a major butt head) is hard work. lol
I have to be very careful when it comes
to jeolousy etc.
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/009/Vg/Ob/tt/GL76865.jpg

[ December 26, 2001: Message edited by: KYS ]

Logan
12-26-2001, 06:54 PM
I LOVE having two dogs, but I have to say that three would probably be too much, and I would always be worrying about "who to love next". Plus, the expense of three would be more than I could handle. With two big dogs and two cats, all of which get regular veterinary care, in addition to the expenses related to accidents, problems, etc. I have all I can handle!! But....if the money weren't an issue, we'd throw another Golden Retriever into the mix in a skinny minute!! I think Honey and Lilly would handle it fine. :D

slleipnir
12-26-2001, 10:17 PM
I have 2 dogs, one is old and the other is young. Josie (the younger) gets everything! shes a hog! Rufus is a VERY well behaved dog, and welcomed jo, and was still happy..guess its not cause hes well behaved more so that its just his nature. He puts up with her annoying trying to jump and bite him and her stealing all his stuff! shes not to bad now, but he doesnt like chewing for some reason..they got a bone for xmas and he was chewing on it, and it was so cute cause henever does! i usually get tell jo to get lost cause she thinks everything is hers cause he never chews, but it he wants to i'll get jo to play with something else so he can play! The cutest thing is when you throw a ball (he looks really old and stuff) and he runs after it all happy and brings it back! :']

karen israel
12-27-2001, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by mugsy:
<STRONG>Ok, so what's it mean when you have 15 living under one roof and live in harmony? lol</STRONG>
It means, Mugsy, that you are magnificent! What can I say? Except you have enough love, kisses and hugs to go around and have a huge heart of gold! Bless you!

Sudilar
12-27-2001, 04:22 PM
It means they're in heaven and you and hubby are Angels!! :D