PDA

View Full Version : Bailey and James--Vet Appointment

Sevens
07-21-2003, 09:12 PM
I took them to the vet this afternoon. We have a really nice vet, there's three doctors there and one even specializes in holistic therapies like acupuncture, etc.

James loved the attention. He was such a good little man and Bailey was such a sweetie, they were on their best behavior today.

Bailey has oral papilloma something-or-other, warts basically, around her mouth. The vet said they should go away on their own. She says it's from drinking from the communal dog dishes at the dog park. Bailey also has a torn toenail from getting her paw caught on James' crate. We have to soak it in Epsom salt water every night to make sure it doesn't get infected.

James is in great shape, except the morons who had him before (the ones who abandoned him) apparently never bothered to clean his ears. He has some rather intense wax buildup, so we have to clean his ears every night for a week to get all of it out, then twice a week after for maintenance.

Of course they didn't really mind the visit, because once they are done, the vet gives them each a rawhide! :D Hehe, I swear, it reminds me of when I was a kid, after seeing the doctor, he'd give me a lollipop. :)

They are both really getting along with each other right now, and actually, I'm very proud of James, he seems to have stopped trying to bolt out of the car when I open the door....probably helps that I have him and Bailey leashed together and she outweighs him by 15 pounds.:D

Sevens
07-21-2003, 09:12 PM
I just realized I probably should have posted this in Dog Health...sorry.

lovemyshiba
07-21-2003, 10:41 PM
Glad to hear everyone's healthy!!!!
We had that ear problem with Abbey too--when the ground was moist, she was always so close sniffing everything, and she has to have her ears cleaned the most--she hates it too.

Sounds like they love their vet--that's always important!!!

Great news!!!:)

K9karen
07-23-2003, 11:44 PM
Fantastic checkup for kids! Glad it's nothing major, just the usual pupper stuff! I got lollies too! My dentist knew my Dr and insisted he keep it up or it'd be bad for business!! s :rolleyes: :D (had to add that in!!)

tatsxxx11
07-25-2003, 09:25 AM
Great to hear the puppers had such a pleasant, positive trip to the "white coats!":D Wow, a rawhide treat! Now that's a vet my kids would love to visit! And I could only hope that my two would be so well behaved...well, Cody is; now Star, that's another story!:rolleyes: Hugs to Biley and James...well done, kids!:)

Sevens
07-25-2003, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the replies! I think it's really nice of the vet to give them rawhides, but I think he's just trying to get them hooked on them. Everytime he gives them one, he reminds me that I should buy some from the clinic because these rawhides are specially treated with enzymes to clean their teeth!:rolleyes: (Sales pitch)
I'll keep them clean with crunchy treats and brushing thank you. I found out that with some dogs, they chew on rawhides and then jump to chewing shoes because they both taste like cow(leather). Bailey did do that, so I stopped giving her rawhides. I don't think she misses them.:)

Anyway, her toe is doing a bit better...she doesn't mind the epsom salt soaks, except it is so hard to stop her from drinking the water when she is standing in the tub. In case you didn't know, epsom salts mixed with water can also be drank by people or dogs and it acts as a laxative.:eek:

And finally......Bailey hasn't had an accident in the house for THE WHOLE WEEK! I think she's finally getting used to James being there and has stopped with the "territorial peeing" thing. Hey, maybe she's picking up some pointers from him about NOT peeing in the house, he hasn't had an accident the whole time he's been with us.:D