PDA

View Full Version : my rat is sad....

Koneko_kokoro
07-21-2003, 05:27 PM
i just got a new rat from one of my friends... she has had him for 2 years and she moved out of her house and had to get rid of him so she gave him to me... but he is very sad now that he can't see her and i tried to get a hold of her but i don't even know where she is living... she said she would come over a visit him all the time but she hasn't even called. and he's been alone alll his life so he doesn't like other rats.. not even my girls.... i don't know what to do....

kingrattus
07-21-2003, 05:37 PM
Try spending extra time with him & spoil him alot, that might bring him around.

Koneko_kokoro
07-21-2003, 05:46 PM
thanks... i'll do that... it'll be hard to spoil him more then i already do.. ^^ lol

luckies4me
07-23-2003, 12:11 AM
Perhaps get him some new toys, take him out whenever you can and cook him yummy food. :D

tikeyas_mom
08-17-2003, 01:54 AM
have you considered getting him a cage mate?? He might be lonely?

wolfsoul
08-17-2003, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
have you considered getting him a cage mate?? He might be lonely?

He doesn't like other rats. She let him sniff her females though the cage bars (of the female cage) and he tried to attack them.

tikeyas_mom
08-17-2003, 03:24 AM
maybe he isnt getting out of his cage enough, out to see the world, outside (undersupervision of corse ;)).

I think he just is lonely, if you give him lotsa love and attention he should loosen up ;). any pics?? :D

tikeyas_mom
08-17-2003, 03:26 AM
ps. Maybe get a really young MALE rat and use the split cage method to try to get them to get to know eachother, then he might loosen up to another rat as a friend.

luckies4me
08-17-2003, 10:33 AM
I would NOT suggest trying to introduce him to another rat at his age. He's already a senior and wouldn't do well with another one at his age. It is way to dangerous to subject another rat to him, even if they are seperated by wire. Just because they are seperated does not mean he can't kill him. Rats will kill another rat through the bars. They lose hands, tails, ears and often are brutally killed. A smaller rat can easily be injured in a matter of seconds. He's an old ratty and does not need stress at his age. Especially if he has shown agressive tendencies towards females, he will not get along with a smaller male.

The best thing for him as I mentioned earlier is to take him out everyday, and bond with him. Treats such as yogies, branmuffin, bacon, scrambled eggs etc. fed out of your hand (NOT through the bars as this teaches them that everything that goes through a bar is a treat) will help to establish a bond. Take him out and just sit with him while you watch tv, or have him shoulder ride while you do the dishes etc. Having these daily play time routines should make him come around. He will see you as his new friend. Keep in mind that rats form very strong bonds with their caretakers, and it could take as long as a few months to form a bond with this guy. Make sure his living arrangements are interesting and stimulating. If you cannot afford to go out and buy new toys, then use things you have laying around the house such as paper bags, milk cartons with the top cut out, leftover paper towel rolls to chew etc. Also offer him an area where he can go in case he feels threatened or tired, a place where he can go and relax in the cage where humans cannot see him. Igloos are good for that. After awhile he should come out of his shell.

One thing to consider is that he's an old guy. He's not going to have much spunk left in him at two years of age. Most males are very laid back, and nothing like females. They are the ones most likely to want to cuddle, and lay around the cage. So this could be perfectly normal for him. If he doesn't do much, consider his age first.

Hope he comes around and you make a new friend soon. When you win the love of a ratty, it's amazing!

CathyBogart
08-17-2003, 01:19 PM
Any updates? How is he doing?

wolfsoul
08-17-2003, 02:07 PM
Renee (koneko) doesn't have the internet at her house ( I know, crazy huh? :p ) but the next time I talk to her I'll give you the update. :)

CathyBogart
08-17-2003, 02:10 PM
okie!

tikeyas_mom
08-17-2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by luckies4me
I would NOT suggest trying to introduce him to another rat at his age. He's already a senior and wouldn't do well with another one at his age. It is way to dangerous to subject another rat to him, even if they are seperated by wire. Just because they are seperated does not mean he can't kill him. Rats will kill another rat through the bars. They lose hands, tails, ears and often are brutally killed. A smaller rat can easily be injured in a matter of seconds. He's an old ratty and does not need stress at his age. Especially if he has shown agressive tendencies towards females, he will not get along with a smaller male.

The best thing for him as I mentioned earlier is to take him out everyday, and bond with him. Treats such as yogies, branmuffin, bacon, scrambled eggs etc. fed out of your hand (NOT through the bars as this teaches them that everything that goes through a bar is a treat) will help to establish a bond. Take him out and just sit with him while you watch tv, or have him shoulder ride while you do the dishes etc. Having these daily play time routines should make him come around. He will see you as his new friend. Keep in mind that rats form very strong bonds with their caretakers, and it could take as long as a few months to form a bond with this guy. Make sure his living arrangements are interesting and stimulating. If you cannot afford to go out and buy new toys, then use things you have laying around the house such as paper bags, milk cartons with the top cut out, leftover paper towel rolls to chew etc. Also offer him an area where he can go in case he feels threatened or tired, a place where he can go and relax in the cage where humans cannot see him. Igloos are good for that. After awhile he should come out of his shell.

One thing to consider is that he's an old guy. He's not going to have much spunk left in him at two years of age. Most males are very laid back, and nothing like females. They are the ones most likely to want to cuddle, and lay around the cage. So this could be perfectly normal for him. If he doesn't do much, consider his age first.

Hope he comes around and you make a new friend soon. When you win the love of a ratty, it's amazing!

OMG thanks for telling me that :eek: