PDA

View Full Version : A Very Protective Mother

lizbud
07-21-2003, 03:47 PM
Don't mess with baby elephant if Momma is around.:)

Protective elephant injures trainer at zoo
Official says mother responded to calf's call; man is wounded in leg and undergoes surgery

By Paul Bird
[email protected]
July 20, 2003

An Indianapolis Zoo trainer is recovering from surgery after being injured by a head thrust from a female African elephant.

Zoo officials said the elephant, Ivory, was reacting to a call from her 2,000-pound calf.

Officials said Ivory backed off on command after the attack that injured the trainer's lower left leg.

"She was suffering from separation anxiety during training," said Judy Gagen, a zoo spokeswoman. "The calf was only a few feet away."

Ivory gave birth to Ajani on Aug. 4, 2000.

"Since he was three weeks old, she has been overprotective," Gagen said.

The incident occurred about 3 p.m. Friday. Ajani was placed into a holding area within sight of his mother. As he was being taught to perform a task, he called out when he failed to receive his food treat.

The mother then responded.

"He took a jab, perhaps from a tusk," Gagen said of the trainer.

"At first, we thought it was going to be a lot worse. Things look a lot better today after surgery," he said Saturday.

Gagen declined to identify the trainer or where he was taken for treatment.

"That's the family's request, and we certainly are going to honor it," she said.

She said the man had 14 years' experience training elephants.

"She became frustrated during the training and took it out on him," Gagen said. "It was a quick, sudden reaction. There was no warning or indication that this was a pattern of behavior."

Several trainers responded, Gagen said. "They were here within minutes."

Ivory is in her early 20s.

The zoo's elephant program had a setback June 2 when Amali, a 3-year-old, died.

Amali, the first African elephant conceived through artificial insemination, underwent surgery for an intestinal blockage May 21. Her large intestine had become impacted with hay, sand, gravel and fecal material.

Call Star reporter Paul Bird at 1-317-865-4909.

kingrattus
07-21-2003, 03:59 PM
Thats what mommies do best

zippy-kat
07-21-2003, 05:41 PM
:eek: Maybe instead of the "Momma Bear" instinct it should be called the "Momma Elephant!"

Airedalekisses
07-21-2003, 05:50 PM
I know one of the trainers very well -he was a kennel cleaner at my vet when he was about 16-which was quite a while ago. he is sooo dedicated to the animals and adores the elephants. Ivory is a real sweetie and was just "doin' what comes nathurllly" . I still think the "nellies" are upset over the death of the little one-I read that the elephants grieve just like people-they do have such soulful eyes.

lovemyshiba
07-21-2003, 10:51 PM
Wow!!

How sad that you mention that the elephants are still grieving the loss of the little one:(

Ivory sure is one protective mommy!

lizbud
07-22-2003, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by lizbud

Ivory gave birth to Ajani on Aug. 4, 2000.

"Since he was three weeks old, she has been overprotective," Gagen said.

The incident occurred about 3 p.m. Friday. Ajani was placed into a holding area within sight of his mother. As he was being taught to perform a task, he called out when he failed to receive his food treat.

The mother then responded.

I seem to remember being VERY protective & still am of any three
week old baby. That's normal, not really overly protective, I think.
I wonder what sort of "training" the calf was going through?I'm
hopeing it was just to accustom the baby to being handled by
humans,vets,etc and not training for some stupid tricks to show
the crowds that come to the zoo.

allanimalswelcome
07-22-2003, 10:22 AM
I can't say I blame her. Elephant babies stay with their mothers for a looong time.
It's not overprotectiveness. It's natural.

~Rachel

allanimalswelcome
07-22-2003, 10:24 AM
There's something on Amali here-
http://www.elephants.com/inmem.htm