PDA

View Full Version : I've been thinking about getting a dog..

CountryWolf07
07-21-2003, 02:19 PM
NOT right now, of course.. I'm thinking about getting a dog after I graduate from college in 3-4 years.. I think I want a small dog.. maybe a Welsh Corgi.. I might be living in an apartment at the time, so I don't think a medium/big sized dogs would fit well in my situation.. hehe.. anyway.. I was thinking.. which small breeds do y'all reccomend me to look into for research, etc.?

Crikit
07-21-2003, 02:23 PM
I would say look in to a papillion, they're great dogs who are small but quite often end up acting like big dogs in small bodies. Then again I am a little biased in this matter :D

primabella
07-21-2003, 06:20 PM
Oh I love Corgis! And Paps! :D :D :D

I immediatly thought Sheltie but their shedding and possible barking may be a problem if you live in an apartment.

wolfsoul
07-21-2003, 06:54 PM
I reeeeally love basset hounds. They are sooo cute! :) And their personalities are very endearing. Another huntin' dog for Rosie ;)

Kfamr
07-21-2003, 06:56 PM
I think a Corgi would be great as well as a Papillion.:)

Foam
07-21-2003, 07:05 PM
Westies are nice. :)
Also, maybe you could consider getting a little dog from the pound? Mutts are always nice. ;)

Kfamr
07-21-2003, 07:07 PM
Yes Mutts! How could I forget them.

Plus being in college and paying for your own apartment( i assume) a dog from a rescue or one from a pound would be alot less than paying hundreds from a breeder!

aly
07-21-2003, 07:13 PM
POODLES (they do require grooming though)

BASSETT HOUNDS

or a MUTT

:D

Be sure you don't get a real high energy breed unless you are able to give it proper exercise dailiy :)

CountryWolf07
07-21-2003, 07:16 PM
I was thinking of a mutt.. they are great.. gotta be small.. hmmm.. IF I got a Welsh Corgi.. I'd name it Scooter, hehe.. Poodles are good dogs too.. hmm.. well I have 4 years..

CamCamPup33
07-21-2003, 07:42 PM
hehe yay another corgi.. well kinda.. scooter is a very cute name for a corgi! ;) :p

apcrs5122
07-21-2003, 08:07 PM
I absolutly love corgis, but with any dog with a long back like that (dashunds, bassets, etc.) that they probably will have back problems as they get older. But I would suggest adopting from a shelter;) :D

micki76
07-22-2003, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
I reeeeally love basset hounds. They are sooo cute! :) And their personalities are very endearing. Another huntin' dog for Rosie ;)

They are howlers and bayers though. Can be VERY annoying and problematic in an apartment. We lived next door to one in an apartment several years ago. We also had one behind us until a couple of months ago. They both howled all the time when the owners were gone. :mad: Westies are good, poodles are great, or maybe a yorkie or chi if you want to go really small.

CountryWolf07
07-22-2003, 09:50 AM
How about a Jack Russel Terrier or a Pomerian?

primabella
07-22-2003, 10:12 AM
I was going to suggest JRT but aren't they very energetic? I don't know if that would be a problem in an apartment too. Maybe you'll find a nice mix at the shelter. :) Will Anna and Rosie be living with you?

micki76
07-22-2003, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by CountryWolf07
How about a Jack Russel Terrier or a Pomerian?

A JRT would be great if you want to do flyball or agilty. Otherwise I'd say no. Millie's a great little dog, but I don't want another JRT, ever. She's extremely demanding of our time and NEVER (I truly mean never) content to just sit and relax. LOL. She's also very mouthy. :rolleyes:

apcrs5122
07-22-2003, 10:18 AM
I would deffinatly not suggest a JRT, as they are very, very entergetic, and if they don't have a big yard to run in, and a job, they are destructive. I would not suggest a JRT as an apartment dog. But they are great dogs, if they have the right living space. I think that if you are thinking about a certain breed, research it thougholy (:rolleyes:sp).