PDA

View Full Version : Please help, my friend is like dieing..

wolfsoul
07-21-2003, 10:39 AM
Umm...my friend is sort of allergic to my house...and my pets. :(

She has hives now, and she can barely breathe. She's on the verge of an asthma attack. She won't stop sneezing and her nose is stuffed up. She borrowed my inhaler (it's the same kind) but she can't really use it because she can't breathe in as fast as the inhaler pushed the salbutamol out and it just gets in her mouth.

Does anyone know of something that might help? We are trying to avoid an asthma attack lol. :)

BTW, she isn't in my room, that's where my pets are. She is out in the living room where there is an air conditioner (removes dust and mold) and the cushions on the couch were just recently washed, so that's one step in the right direction.

Kfamr
07-21-2003, 10:41 AM
Um... Have your parents/her parents take her to the doctor. Take her outside to get fresh air. Maybe give her benadrill ( sp?) or some kind of allergie relief.

wolfsoul
07-21-2003, 10:47 AM
We haven't taken her yet. We are going to try and take her, but we don't have her medical card, or even any other ID, so we don't know if it's possible yet.

The doctor is always busy, so we would have to take her to the walk-in clinic until we make an appointment.

She doesn't really want to go outside right now because there is pollen in the air. It wouldn't be so bad normally if she wasn't already feeling so bad...:(

We ran out of regular benadryl, so she had to take the children's stuff lol.

Kfamr
07-21-2003, 10:49 AM
I wonder what's bothering her in your house...

Is she the one that joined with tons of pets? Or is it a different one?

wolfsoul
07-21-2003, 10:53 AM
Yes, she's the one with lots of pets. She is use to her pets though. Her rats make her a bit sniffly, so they live out in the living room, but all the other pets she is fine with. My rats drive her allergies nuts, so that is why we moved to the living room last night when she started getting hives.

The dog had a bath the day before yesterday, and Renee says she's fine with her.

The cat isn't even inside right now, she's on the roof..

She is starting to be able to breathe now...but it would still be nice for some helpful hints and such :)

Kfamr
07-21-2003, 10:58 AM
I have no idea besides taking her to the doctor.

micki76
07-21-2003, 11:01 AM
Hives are normally caused by a substance that's taken internally into the body. I, for instance, am allergic to strawberries and penicillin both of which cause hives on my body and cause breathing problems for me. I am also allergic to timothy grass and mold neither of which causes a rash. My husband is allergic to cats and they don't cause a rash or hives, but do cause an asthma attack.
If pets don't usually cause her to have a rash or hives, then I would get to the Dr. immediately. It may be something else that she's eaten or taken that's causing this type of reaction. If so, her throat can swell mimicking an asthma attack and close off so she can't breathe.

wolfsoul
07-21-2003, 11:06 AM
She says that strange pets give her hives?? :confused:

She doesn't have any food allergies...

But we are going to the dentist today, we might as well stop at the walk in clinic. :)

Thanks for your guys' help!

Karen
07-21-2003, 12:09 PM
Some cats that rub against me give me hives, as do some other things - like my brother's aftershave when I was a kid - if he scratched his chin across my arm, I'd get hives. It's not unheard of.

I am an allergic asthmatic. If she's still having trouble breathing, and has used an inhaler, what kind? Do you have an Albuterol inhaler? What sometimes helps is breathing steam - so a hot cup of tea - she doesn't have to actually drink it, just breathe over it, can help.

Please, don't post a topic that says she's "like dieing" if she's just having a little allergy trouble. And anyone who is "like dieing" should go to the emergency room. If she doesn't have her medical card with her, they can still treat her and get the information afterwards. Asthma is nothing to joke about or kid about - people can die of asthma, it happens sadly often.

The bathroom is often the most allergy-free zone in the house - not a lot of animal hair, no rugs to trap dust. If being by the AC isn't helping, try sitting on the edge of the tub with that cup of tea.

popcornbird
07-21-2003, 01:33 PM
I find it awfully sad that your friend is going through this and you didn't take her to the doctor. :( At least call her parents and let them know.

I Love Brian, Forever <3
07-21-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Karen
Please, don't post a topic that says she's "like dieing" if she's just having a little allergy trouble. And anyone who is "like dieing" should go to the emergency room.

JAYSUS!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Kfamr
07-21-2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by I Love Brian, Forever <3

What's that supposed to mean? :confused:

Crikit
07-21-2003, 02:46 PM

oh bless you...you were sneezing weren't you? Because if it was a comment about Karen's comment well she is the moderater and was only stating what a few other people were thinking.

I Love Brian, Forever <3
07-21-2003, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
What's that supposed to mean? :confused:

LOL, I don't know, I'm just hyper.

Originally posted by Crikit
oh bless you...you were sneezing weren't you? Because if it was a comment about Karen's comment well she is the moderater and was only stating what a few other people were thinking.

Yes, yes it actually WAS a comment to Karen's comment. ;) :)

Kfamr
07-21-2003, 04:44 PM
Yes, yes it actually WAS a comment to Karen's comment. ;) :)

Was it supposed to be something bad about her comment?:confused:

CamCamPup33
07-21-2003, 04:59 PM
what did karen say wrong? :confused: :rolleyes: and i think crikit was being sarcastic ;)

Koneko_kokoro
07-21-2003, 05:12 PM
i did go tothe clinic ^^
lol... then Jordan took me home and gave me tea!!! lol... but it was toohot...lol... i burnt my tongue.... *owies*... Jordan just thought i was deing cause ireally couldn't breathe... really... i like couldn't... i was all scared and stuff... she just wanted advice on how to make sure it doesn't happen again. thanks for the concern.. ^^

Karen
07-21-2003, 05:18 PM
To make sure it doesn't happen again, I think you should bring your own pillow if you're sleeping over there, don;t sleep in a room with her animals, and she should vacuum everything a few hours before you get there just in case. Also, take allergy meds right before you get there, and regularly throughout your stay to keep your histamine level down.

I've been hospitalized for asthma before, trust me, it's NOT fun!

Koneko_kokoro
07-21-2003, 05:21 PM
thank ou... just my beding is to big for me to bring withme seems i tokk the bus.... ill be staying here for a month so i should be used to her pets by then ^^

Karen
07-21-2003, 05:24 PM
Okay,, just keep up with the Benadryl, or whatever you're taking, you can try to ease off it after a couple day, but be careful! Enjoy your stay, though! I just mentioned the pillow because they often hold lots of dust and dander and stuff. If I didn;t bring my own, when I stayed over my Great Aunt's house, I'd always be wheezy by morning!

Koneko_kokoro
07-21-2003, 05:32 PM
i'll keep all that in mind... and Jordan is washing the pillows as we speak... ^^
so until they are dry ill use the couch pillows... which were cleaned a short while ago so they should be ok ^^
and its too hot to sleep in her room anyway...^^ lol its like 30 degrees in there *sweat bubble*

Airedalekisses
07-21-2003, 05:59 PM
I've got the allergies, too-put a cup of oatmeal in a hot bath and let her sit in it-the hives get soothed and the steam helps the breathing.Stay cool after the bath- prickly heat isn't fun either-blisters form on parts of your body that get too hot-you can't sweat fast enough so these cute little blisters that itch form. Relax it could be a case of nerves, too-different surroundings....:)

Tonya
07-21-2003, 09:20 PM
My step-mom and step-sister are totally allergic to my cats. The minute they walk in my door, I give them flo-nase. (sp?). It's hard to reverse a flare up, so try to prevent it from starting. I also try to vacumn my couches and put my cats in the room before they come over.

CamCamPup33
07-21-2003, 10:08 PM
lol i can see it now........ They walk in the door and you open it heres your flor-nase..... "thanks".. lol :D :D

Koneko_kokoro
07-22-2003, 12:08 AM
lol... thats great... i'm allergic to a lot of things... dust, smoke... poolen.... mold... fur!!! i am really really allergic to horses.... and i love horses.... grrr... life is so unfair!!! lol.... jordan and i are making cookies for her ratties.... it's great.... lol.... they smell like brocolli .... ewwwwies..... lol ^^