PDA

View Full Version : Cats VS Dogs

anna_66
07-21-2003, 07:27 AM
I was just reading this article this morning...just wondered what your take was on which you think is smarter & why.
Which Are Smarter? (http://encarta.msn.com/column/catsanddogsdogthink.asp)

GoldenRetrLuver
07-21-2003, 10:28 AM
Dogs. :)

Kfamr
07-21-2003, 10:43 AM
Dogs most definitely.

I've never seen a cat rescue someone trapped in snow or sniff out someone in remains of a building.

binka_nugget
07-22-2003, 01:39 AM
I voted dogs...but who knows, maybe one day a cat will save a dog from a burning building? Lol

binka_nugget
07-22-2003, 01:41 AM
Ohhh I just noticed...that's dr stanley coren from Ubc! He has (had?) his own show called "good dog". I stayed up until 5am just to watch it because I'm addicted to his show.

koxka
07-22-2003, 01:43 AM
Binka, this picture of Kai head bucket makes my day :D :D

Randi
07-22-2003, 06:51 AM
I think cats and dogs are equally smart, but of course in different ways. Some are definately smarter than others - like humans. ;) Training and the way the owner cares for a cat or dog makes a huge difference too I'm sure.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Pam
07-22-2003, 07:01 AM
Please don't tell Trevor and Andy that I did this, but I voted for dogs. I know that there are lots of things that cats understand and could respond to if they so chose. ;) I think there is a lot going on in their furry little minds that we will never know. I know there are exceptions to every rule, but on the whole I do believe that dogs are wired a little differently which appears to make them smarter. (Trevor and Andy, if you see this please know that I still love you guys very, very much! LOL!)

binka_nugget
07-22-2003, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by koxka
Binka, this picture of Kai head bucket makes my day :D :D
Lol I was just about to switch my sig...hmm...I suppose I'll keep this for a little longer...it's quite silly isn't it? :P

primabella
07-22-2003, 10:33 AM
Keep it Ashely. It made my mom laugh :D She thought it was Mickey from far. Lol

I voted dogs too. Maybe I'm a bit biased but I actually think dogs are at least this much smarter than cats. *shrugs*

Uabassoon
07-22-2003, 10:42 AM
I don't really know that I think one is smarter than the other. I think they are both smart in different ways. For example some people are great at math but can't do well in an writting class (kind of like me) and some people are great at writting but anything harder than long division is a challenge. It doesn't mean that one person is smarter than the other, just that they are smart in different ways.

CathyBogart
07-22-2003, 01:06 PM
I agree with Ubabassoon. My cat is smart in that she can find a way to get me to do whatever she wants, and the dogs can do things like sit, stay, beg....figure out how to tear down the baby gate locking them in the kitchen and stick their face in the rat cage repeatedly despite being bitten on the nose every time......

Come to think of it, I should have voted 'cat'!

allanimalswelcome
07-22-2003, 04:03 PM
I was watching a show on the Travel Channel which had a list of the ten smartest animals and where to see them. They had a lot of good reasons why each animal made the spot where they were and other cool info. Dogs were number seven. The other animals were Great Apes, Dolphins, Monkeys, Elephants, Parrots, Pigs, Octopuses and Squids, Crows, and Squirrels.

cocker_luva
07-23-2003, 06:15 PM
i think it depends on the animal.

pitc9
07-31-2003, 07:50 PM
I think dogs in most cases are smarter than cats!!!

cocker_luva
08-06-2003, 05:24 PM
yea

Dogz
08-06-2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Randi
I think cats and dogs are equally smart, but of course in different ways. Some are definately smarter than others - like humans. ;) Training and the way the owner cares for a cat or dog makes a huge difference too I'm sure.

Just my 2 cents. :)

I agree.:)

alexlavell
08-06-2003, 10:26 PM
I think cats can be just as smart as dogs. Sure, they haven't rescued anybody from the snow, but have you seen size relations??!! I mean, St Bernard's are usually the "rescue" dogs, and a poor cat can't compare to that dog's size!
My cat happens to be rather smart, as it runs in the family. I mean, dogs have better scent receptors than cats and are much larger, as earlier said, but cats have potential too!
Even though I have said all of these things that dogs are larger, are better rescuers, cats are much better as an elderly companion. Dogs usually make much more noise than cats and sometimes whine all night. Cats can find their way home, as do dogs, and you let them out at night, but dogs are chained up!
I LIKE dogs, sure, and I like cats, but all I'm trying to say is that even though dogs learn tricks and all, cats have the potential to be smart anyway. If you're patient enough, you can teach an animal almost anything (besides playing piano, etc...).

popcornbird
08-07-2003, 01:04 AM
I vote birds. :p What kind of dog or cat can communicate with humans in the human language? Only birdies can accomplish such an amazing feat! :p

http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/features/columns/?article=sciencebirdbrain

Within the past decade, researchers have established the parrot's capacity for humanlike speech. Not mimicry, mind you, but actual conversation. Their spokesperson--er, spokesparrot--is Alex, a captive-reared African gray who resides in the lab of Irene Pepperberg, a research professor at Brandeis University.

Alex can name 50 items, seven colors, five shapes, and quantities from one to six. He can put words together into meaningful phrases and even seems capable of abstract thought. Once, unable to lift a cup that was covering one of his treats, Alex is said to have turned to the nearest human assistant and demanded, "Go pick up cup."

Now that's intelligence. Wait 'til Alex discovers the remote control unit for Pepperberg's TV set.

;):D

Between dogs and cats, I say dogs are smarter. Honestly, I have never seen a cat responding so intelligently like a dog. I love cats.......more than dogs, but I believe dogs are smarter.

Tonya
08-09-2003, 07:07 PM
I think they are equally as smart. I think dogs apear more intelligent because they are so eager to please. Cats don't give a crud what you think. lol.

tikeyas_mom
08-10-2003, 03:58 AM
I think dogs are smarter because they can be trained to do tricks ect, they are eager to please, a cat can be trained I guess to, but I have never seen it and it is lot more difficult I would assume.

budgie
08-21-2003, 11:14 AM
I voted dogs because my dog is very smart he will me when he wants to go out and he has his ways of getting my other dogs treat away :p

EssTer
09-13-2003, 10:59 AM
I think itīs very difficul question because all kind of animals are quite smart :)

Sometimes dogs sometimes cats :)

I voted for both :)

wolfsoul
09-13-2003, 11:24 PM
LOL, I made this EXACT same poll with the EXACT same addy! Hehe. :D Great minds think alike!

Anywhos, I vote dogs. :) I think that cats have better survival skills, but I find dogs to be smarter. Scientists also rate them smarter, and their brains are larger in proportion to their bodies.

Logan
09-22-2003, 11:03 PM
I believe that cats are very smart, but also very arrogant. I think they actually win in the "'brains" department over their dog counterparts because they aren't as "needy" as dogs, therefore they tend to ignore us when they are asked to do something they don't want to! LOL!!! But my cats have proven to be much more obedient when I call them than any of my dogs have been. Of course, I think they are all tremendously intelligent, including my two birds!!! :)

K9karen
09-22-2003, 11:37 PM
I voted dogs, but I've been in the company of some pretty amazing kitties! I think Pam nailed it when she said they're just wired differently. Some cats I've been with were certainly too smart to be bothered with my annoying attempt to pick em up and pet them! I'm sure it's cause I smell like Ode de Logan. PCB..I was raised w/parakeets and nobody can accuse them of being "bird-brains" cause they were absolutely amazing. We have photos and tapes of them doing tricks and talking. I love birds.