PDA

View Full Version : Which would you attempt to save?

Kfamr
07-19-2003, 07:49 PM
I hope this never happens to any of you but, I just thought it would be interesting to see what people would do.

If you saw a burning building, no one around, firestation far away... It had a Human and an Animal (Dog, Cat, Bird, whatever..)

Which one would you attempt to save first, or would you?

I'd go for the Animal.

apcrs5122
07-19-2003, 07:51 PM
I don't know. That'd be a hard decison for me to make.....both at the same time??

I Love Brian, Forever <3
07-19-2003, 08:21 PM
I'd go for the animal first. For a couple of reasons. For one, the animal doesn't know what's going on and isn't as capable as a human to escape. Second, the human is more capable than the animal. So..... therefore, I'd go for the animal. :) :)

Uabassoon
07-19-2003, 08:25 PM
I think I would go for the human. For one what would happen to the animal that was saved if it's owner died? I know personally if I saved a dog or a cat I wouldn't be able to keep it, it would end up going to a shelter and who knows if it would get adopted or not. While pets are VERY special and I love mine like children, I know that if my cats died in a fire I would miss them so much it would be like a part of me died as well. But if I died in a fire my mom, dad, sister, grandparents, aunts, uncles (you get the point) would all feel like a little part of them died.

However I did want to add that after I saved the human I would go back and try to save the animal if there was enough time left.

primabella
07-19-2003, 09:04 PM
I don't know. ILBF has a good reason for rescuing the animal but then Uabassoon has a good reason for rescuing the human. *shrugs*

:(

GoldenRetrLuver
07-19-2003, 09:17 PM
I'd go for the animal. Same reason as ILBF. :)

Karen
07-19-2003, 10:43 PM
I'd do my darndest to rescue them both at the same time. Barring that, I'd get them both to the safest spot I could before leaving the building with one, and rushing back for the other, depending on which is in worse shape. A human's lungs are much bigger than say, a cat's, but a cat is naturally low to the ground where the clearer air is, so might be okay for another minute. It depends - if the human is unconscious, they cannot help, but I could set the animal on top of the person and carry them both out ... couldn't I?

If I were a firefighter, I'd be part of a team, right? Where are my fellow firefighters?

popcornbird
07-20-2003, 01:00 AM
VERY hard decision.......

I'd try my hardest to save both at the same time, but if not possible, I would save the human first. Human beings have responsibility, of their family, their pets, paying their homes off, working for the family, etc. An animal, is definitely a valuable life, but if its their time to go, they don't have a responsibility on their shoulders they are leaving behind. I would try my best to save both at the same time, but if not possible, the human would be first; the animal second.

allanimalswelcome
07-20-2003, 09:01 AM
I'd choose the animal.

wolfsoul
07-20-2003, 06:25 PM
Depends. Between a baby and an animal, I'd rescue the baby. But if it was my own animal, I'd rescue the animal. If it was an adult, I'd rescue the animal. So many things that would make it depend upon.

Rottieluver45
07-20-2003, 07:05 PM
I would probably go for the animal,b/c the human knows their way out and the Animal might not!

carole
07-21-2003, 06:04 PM
some interesting comments, however I would go for the HUMAN, no doubt's in my mind, but yes I would try to save both if I could.

tikeyas_mom
07-21-2003, 10:04 PM
I couldent choose, but if I had to choose I would go save the person.

cheetahgirl
07-21-2003, 11:35 PM
I wouldn't like to be in this kind of situation, but if I had to choose and had no choice, I would save the human first. Most definitely. Humans have responsibility behind them. If the human is lost, it could be terrible for the family behind, if they loose the one who works a job and makes money for them. Animals don't have responsibility. My priority would be human first. Animal 2nd

aly
07-22-2003, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by Karen
I'd do my darndest to rescue them both at the same time. Barring that, I'd get them both to the safest spot I could before leaving the building with one, and rushing back for the other, depending on which is in worse shape. A human's lungs are much bigger than say, a cat's, but a cat is naturally low to the ground where the clearer air is, so might be okay for another minute. It depends - if the human is unconscious, they cannot help, but I could set the animal on top of the person and carry them both out ... couldn't I?

If I were a firefighter, I'd be part of a team, right? Where are my fellow firefighters?

Good solution! :)

(Prima - LOVE YOUR SIG!!!!!!)

Pam
07-22-2003, 05:55 AM
Gosh I hope I am never in a burning building with lots of Pet Talkers around. I would be doomed. :) Don't get me wrong, I love animals (obviously or I wouldn't have been here at PT for 3 years and own 4 furry ones) but my first obligation as a human is to my fellow humans. I would save the human first for the reasons that other have given.

iceyshiver21
07-22-2003, 12:01 PM
I hate alot of people. I am the Most Anti-Social person I know. But no matter what I'd try saving both. I'd find the human first, if they are still alive and can walk out by themselves then they can tell me where the pets are :) I would rather try, wether my life is at risk or not.

Foam
07-22-2003, 12:11 PM
A human is much more capable of escaping, so I'd go for the animal.
Now if the human was passed out, disabled, or a young child, I would try for both at the same time. :)

Fox-Gal
07-23-2003, 02:28 AM
As much as it would kill me to leave a pet behind, I have to get the human out first. I know if it was my home on fire, what would I want saved first, My husband, My Father, etc. or my pet?

I would morn for my pets, but If I close my eyes and picture a life with out my pets...I know I could go on (it be hard). But to picture my life without my family....I'm not sure I want to go on. I've been there...there is no pain like the lose of a family member. How could I look at a person and say I'm sorry I choice you Dog, before your Wife.

petsrthebest
07-23-2003, 02:47 AM
Well I am not really new to this site, but this is my first post. I have been browsing this site for several months and love it, but I just never posted.

About this issue, I think it is sad and horrible that a human being would save an animal over a human in a burning house. As much as I love animals, I cannot and will not delay a human's safety to after that of an animal. Put yourself in this situation. You all are humans. Imagine yourself in this scenerio (God forbid such a thing to ever happen):

You are sitting in a house in flames, crying for help. You see people outside and run to the window, wave a flag, and cry for help. There happens to be a cat in the house as well. The people outside happen to be people from this site and run in and save the cat, and bring her out. You are still crying, screaming, in the burning house, and because of the Pet Talkers' delay in saving the animal first, you pass on, leaving behind your family, children, pets, and those who loved you and needed you there for them behind. Very nice thing to do huh? Now if this happened to the animal, although it would definitely be grieved for, it would NOT be the end of the world. Without the human though, the family behind may be left in poverty, and the pets left behind may die because there is no one to love and care for them anymore. The life of an animal is very important, but it is not equal to that of a human being. To be a human being and save animals in a buring house before the humans, and let the humans to get badly burned or die is in my opinion, a very heartless thing to do. It breaks my heart just thinking about it. A house burning, animals and humans inside, Pet Talkers run to the rescue, animals are saved, saving humans is delayed and they are left to die. Honestly, if it was YOU in such a situation, wouldn't you expect your fellow human beings out there to save you? I honestly think those of you who say you'd save the animals first may not really be thinking by putting yourself in the shoes of a person who needs help. I'm sorry, but if there were 10 animals and 10 humans in a burning house, I would try my best to save the 10 humans first before even thinking to go for the animals. Once every human is safe, I would then go and try to save the animals, and if any of them is gone by that time, although I would grieve and feel terrible, I would feel far worse by neglecting a human being in a burning house to save an animal, and letting that human lose its life in that time. :(

Kfamr
07-23-2003, 02:51 AM
Humans have not given me any hope in life.
Animals have.

If it was me in that position I would much rather die knowing my dogs are safe. I wouldn't live without them, I couldn't.

Fuzzy317
07-23-2003, 03:23 AM
petsrthebest brought up very good opinions.

KayAnn - Your last post you were putting your dogs above yourself that I can understand, your thoughts if the decision was between you and your dogs.

KayAnn - who would you save: a strange dog that you do not know and have never seen before or Nelly :confused:

Kfamr
07-23-2003, 03:58 AM
Originally posted by Fuzzy317

[b]KayAnn - who would you save: a strange dog that you do not know and have never seen before or Nelly :confused:

The strange dog.

Nelly maybe me one of my favorite rappers but dogs are my number one love.

iceyshiver21
07-23-2003, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by petsrthebest
About this issue, I think it is sad and horrible that a human being would save an animal over a human in a burning house. As much as I love animals, I cannot and will not delay a human's safety to after that of an animal. Put yourself in this situation. You all are humans. Imagine yourself in this scenerio (God forbid such a thing to ever happen):

I know what you saying but not all of us here share the same love for humans... I like very very few people, very few. Yet I'd still save the human. If it was my pets I would save them over anything but family, then I'd try save both. meaning who ever I'd stumble apon first. My pets are my life...my friends and my family.

bnormal
07-23-2003, 11:18 AM
no question...human every time. Others don't give you hope....they give you opportunity...hope resides in yourself.

:D :D :D

Uabassoon
07-23-2003, 02:29 PM
As I said earlier I'd go for the human. If my mom and my cats were in a house that was burning and I would be angry if someone saved my cat and let my mom die. I love Tibby and Corkscrew so much, but my parents and family are more important to me.

puppygrrl4eva7
07-23-2003, 04:07 PM
Petsrthebest Made a good point and I agree I would always try for the human first Even though I love pets. What if this was your scenario would your mom (dad or any loved one) mourn more if your pet died or you died? And also Pets don't live as long as humans do. I don't want to say pets aren't important but Humans serve a greater purpose in the world, honestly would the world come to an end if we had no pets? But if we didn't have humans hmmm I don't think animals can invent cars computers or anything else. So yes I think people are more important but I'm not saying animals aren't important.

popcornbird
07-23-2003, 04:22 PM
Petsrthebest, I totally agree. Although I LOVE animals (probably more than humans) I would still save a human before an animal. There is no way the family members of that human would forgive me if I saved their pet and left their dad, mom, brother, sister whatever, human family member to die. I could never do such a thing. Even though I would try my best to save both, if its not possible, the human is given priority.

KYS
07-23-2003, 04:47 PM
I would try to save a human first, than go back for the
animals.
(unless of course, I new that person is a monster
of a human being.)

Tonya
07-24-2003, 01:36 AM
I'm an animal lover. In movies, I bawl when animals get hurt, but I don't really care as much when people do.

Pam
07-24-2003, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by bnormal
no question...human every time. Others don't give you hope....they give you opportunity...hope resides in yourself.

:D :D :D

Well said! ;)

primabella
07-24-2003, 08:37 AM
I'm leaning toward human too, I was from the beginning. I just started getting a bit unsure and then I didn't know. I guess it depends on what kind of person or animal is trapped in there and the situation they're in.

I like the way you said that bnormal. :)

I would try to save a human first, than go back for the animals.
(unless of course, I new that person is a monster
of a human being.)

Yep, I agree.

If my mom and my cats were in a house that was burning and I would be angry if someone saved my cat and let my mom die. I love Tibby and Corkscrew so much, but my parents and family are more important to me.

Same here.

I'm an animal lover. In movies, I bawl when animals get hurt, but I don't really care as much when people do.

lol Same here. I cried during Sweet Home Alabama when she was talking to her dead Coonhound. lol

I think I'll have to say that, as much as I hate people sometimes, I'd have to go for human. Especially if it is a child. I have a soft spot for kids. :( Hopefully, I'll never have to go through anything like this (or anyone one, for that matter)

micki76
07-24-2003, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by petsrthebest
About this issue, I think it is sad and horrible that a human being would save an animal over a human in a burning house. As much as I love animals, I cannot and will not delay a human's safety to after that of an animal.

Once every human is safe, I would then go and try to save the animals, and if any of them is gone by that time, although I would grieve and feel terrible, I would feel far worse by neglecting a human being in a burning house to save an animal, and letting that human lose its life in that time. :(

Well said petsrthebest! It would be more gut wrenching if it were one of my babies I had to let die, but for another person, I'd definitely make the sacrifice. Now if it were just me & the pets I'd die trying to get them out.

cali
07-24-2003, 10:42 AM
thats easy, the animal plain and simple:) what I care about most is animals people are close to last on my list of what I care about.

Fox-Gal
07-24-2003, 08:01 PM
Petsrthebest....well said. I was a little supprised that there was as many as there were that picked animals over Human.

My pets mean the world to me.....but my family and friends are my world. I couldn't sleep at night knowing that I let a human die.

The news headlines "Woman save family pet, from burning home, Family dies" How would you react if you read that?
Or would "Woman saves family from burning home, family pet dies" Sound better to you?

It be better if we never had to read any headline like that, of course.

Karen
07-24-2003, 08:19 PM
I stand by my original post. Both at the same time. If that were not possible, it would depend on the situation, but a person is NOT always capable of saving him/herself in a fire, so no one should assume the person would be okay and the pet wouldn;t. Cats have survived devastating fires by hiding in the fireplace, for instance, but no human would fit there, nor would the air quality be good enough for a person.

It would depend, but given say, an infant and a small cat/dog, one under each arm. A dog that trusted me, I'd grab the person and say "c'mon boy, follow me, come on." In fact, if the smoke was bad, we humans are better off crawling toward the door if we can, and what dog would not want to participate in that? Every dog I know would be following right next to the crawling humans saying "What is dis game? Why you onna floor? We goin' dis way?"

If it was a "dash in and dash out" situation, and the human was unconscious, and I could for some reason only rescue one each time, I'd put a moist cloth over the mouth of human and animal to filter the smoke somewhat, rescue the human first, animal next, but again - where are my fellow firefighters?

There are many firemen - volunteer and paid - on my family tree, and my next-door neighbor is a retired fireman. I have the utmost of respect for those who put their own lives on the line every day, and who make these agonizing decisions in a heartbeat as a matter of course.

We should all pray we are never in such a situation, and the next time we each meet a firefighter, we should say "Thank you" because most of us never have to even think about these things, the firefighters do.

popcornbird
07-24-2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Karen

We should all pray we are never in such a situation, and the next time we each meet a firefighter, we should say "Thank you" because most of us never have to even think about these things, the firefighters do.

Well said. Firefighters do a great deed for the well-being of humanity. They deserve to be acknowledged and rewarded for their life-saving efforts. They even sacrifice their lives for others. Firefighting is in my opinion, a very rewarding career, but requires bravery and self sacrifice, and not everyone can be one or even think of doing what they do to save the lives of many. Kudos to all the firefighters out there!

cloverfdx
07-27-2003, 12:09 PM
Humans have not given me any hope in life.

~nods~ same here, i would not be able to live without my furry friends, and would not want to.

~shudders~ tis my worst fear to be stuck in a house fire and not be able to get my animals out safe , of course i would assist in helping my family but surly they are capable of helping themselves where as the animals would not have a clue as to what was going on, and would be terrified.

sorry to be so cold harted and anti social to the human race, but i have no time to spare for them (unless they are crazy about the care and welfare of all animals, then i may give them the time of day)

Amber
07-30-2003, 10:58 PM
I would prolly save the humaun only because my mom always told me..animals can be replaced but you cant! but I would save the animal if it was my own..

pitc9
07-31-2003, 11:47 AM
It would all depend on the situation!