PDA

View Full Version : Swollen finger from insect bite, anyone had this before?

I Love Brian, Forever <3
07-18-2003, 02:16 PM
Has anyone ever had a swollen insect bite? I got pics, sorry they look weird and the swollen finger looks nasty, lol. :o :eek:

Nothing else is wrong, it's just extremely swollen and it's very annoying.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :confused: :confused:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid70/pf0a4218ebdf1130eac1fe173ec8239f5/fba39891.jpg

wolfsoul
07-18-2003, 02:30 PM
My cousin is allergic to bug bites, and so he swells up like that too. You should have seen his eye one time when he was three. He got a bite by his eye, so all the face around it swelled up and turned black, and you couldn't even see his eye :eek: By brother is also somewhat allergic.

I'd put ice on it and take some allergy meds. But I'd also go to the doctor. They might decide that something is wrong, or possibly it needs to be lanced.

good luck!

I Love Brian, Forever <3
07-18-2003, 02:36 PM
Poor little guy! That had to painful!!!

Thank you for your response, BTW.

I've already put ice on it and it didn't seem to do anything. :-X
Stupid me, I'd take my ALLEGRA if I could find it! But I'm the greatest at losing things. :o
Call me stupid, but what does 'lanced' mean? :o

Thanks again.

Uabassoon
07-18-2003, 02:37 PM
That happens to me sometimes. If you have any benadryl around I would suggest taking one.

wolfsoul
07-18-2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by I Love Brian, Forever <3

Call me stupid, but what does 'lanced' mean? :o

Lanced is when they kinda....open it......lol...and then they drain it. :eek: Kinda icky...

I Love Brian, Forever <3
07-18-2003, 02:40 PM
Uabassoon...

Yep, I've definitely got Benadryl around, although it's kids... Molli has to have 4 pills a day due to her allergies.

Thanks! :) :)

I Love Brian, Forever <3
07-18-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
Lanced is when they kinda....open it......lol...and then they drain it. :eek: Kinda icky...

lol, I *was* considering riding my bike up to the doctor's, it's no more than a mile away, but since ya told me that , I think I've changed my mind. lol. :o :D

Karen
07-18-2003, 03:50 PM
It looks like an allergic reaction to a bug bite, they wouldn't lance it, it's not a blister or anything. Just find your allergy meds/Benadryl and take some, and wear bug repellent next time!

My skin is ridiculously sensitive and I'm allergic to stuff, so when I get a mosquito bite, I get a huge pink lump around each one, and it itches for a couple days, sigh. Different kinds of bugs leave different sizes of big pink welts.

Airedalekisses
07-19-2003, 08:38 AM
Ouch, take care of that!! it could lead to a staph infection-my poor brother is allergic to mosquito bites-he lives in Florida and I think the "skeeters" just go looking for him. Let's just hope your bite isn't anything serious like a spider bite-maybe you should have the doctor take a looky see! Don't scratch-gawd, I sound like a mother!!:D

Tonya
07-19-2003, 10:02 AM
I just got covered at work on Brown Recluse spider bites, so I'm a little traumatized right now. The bite starts off as just swelling, and then is freakish within days. I'll attach a pic of the spider and the bite...if you have these spiders in your area, I would see a dr.

http://www.brownreclusespider.net/Images/BRS1.JPG

IF YOU HAVE A WEAK STOMACH, DO NOT VIEW THE NEXT PHOTO. IT IS GRAPHIC!

luckies4me
07-19-2003, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the picture! I knew we had those spiders here, and new they sort of looked like that, but now my suscpicions are confimed! I just killed one of those the other night when I got up to use the restroom and the little bugger crawled out of my slippers. I saw it crawling towards the door and I couldn't help but squish it simply because I thought it was poisonous. :( :o :eek: I wish I didn't have to kill them, but I do not want them around here to bite us. It's kinda screwy for us because we have a large field behind us.

I remember last year when we took Mystic to the vets, the vet there was telling us that they had two cats that died from a brown recluse bite. And then there are the people here that refuse to believe that we have them here, even if the thing is starring them right in the face!:rolleyes:

Once when I took the train to California, there was lady sitting next to the me who had been bitten by a BRspider. She showed me the scar on her leg, and it was HUGE! She said she got it when she went camping and it got so infected and she almost lost her leg. How terrible sad.

Tonya
07-19-2003, 10:21 AM
I'm sure you guys have them in Oregon. We have them in California and the terrain and climate isn't much different then where you are. I work for the phone company; we've had two techs bit this year. One on the thumb and one on the stomach. I wish I could find those pics. They had a pic taken for each day. It is crazy how quickly the skin rots. You think that pic is bad, you should have seen the ones they provided at our safety meeting!

luckies4me
07-19-2003, 10:40 AM
I would like to see those pics if you find them......

How scary! Were your fellow co-workers ok? What was the outcome?

Tonya
07-19-2003, 11:40 AM
They were in different cities, so I do not know them. They both were ok. I believe the guy had to have his thumb amputated. When my boss gets back from vacation, I'll ask if he still has the pics.

I Love Brian, Forever <3
07-19-2003, 12:45 PM
Ah, we definitely do have Brown Recluses, here in Saint Louis. I remember an article in the newspaper last year informing everyone of them and stories of the people who had been bitten here in Saint Louis. We never go up in the attic here and have only once since we moved in, last July and my mother won't let me go up there in fear of the Brown Recluses. Ah, I should at least be allowed to go up there to check. :confused: :D Just the other night, we had to kill a spider that we believed to be a BLACK WIDOW, on Louie's cage. (The Tokay Gecko.) And last night, we had to kill a spider that looked like a baby BLACK WIDOW. So, I'd definitely say we have a spider problem.

We really don't like getting the house sprayed, considering last time we did, a while back in Georgia, one of our cats DIED due to the Orkin/Orkan people spraying that crap in the house. Then they totally denied it. She was perfectly fine until they came. So now, we just pretty much spray outside the house.

I will definitely be telling her to go to the store to buy some insect killers... I seriously don't want anyone getting bitten by a poisonous spider..... especially the dogs or cats.