PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever purchased a used car from a car rental company?

catland
07-18-2003, 11:47 AM
I'm planning to get a newer car. I found that Hertz sells their rental cars and they have what I want for about $4000 less than the Kelly Blue Book price.

Does anyone have any opinions on the pros or cons of going this route?

popcornbird
07-18-2003, 12:05 PM
Personally, I wouldn't ever buy a car from a rental car company. The reason is that rental cars are the most abused cars out there. When people rent cars, they tend to believe, that since its not their car, they can drive as roughly as they want without worrying about it deteriorating faster. I know a lot of people who drive rental cars in a way they would never drive their own cars, so I'm assuming these cars may have problems show up before another car that's not a rental car. :confused:

Cookiebaker
07-18-2003, 01:05 PM
I would have a professional mechanic look at any prospective cars before plunking money down. If you trust them, and they don't find anything wrong, then I would go for it.

tomkatzid
07-18-2003, 01:33 PM
I totaly agree with Popcornbird and Cookiebaker. Now having said that: I bought a cougar with 1300 miles on it, it was a rental in central Oregon. I drove it for 2200000 miles, and paid less than $1000 in repairs in all those miles. But, would I do it again, no. For the reason they stated. I also wouldn't buy another American made car. I now drive a Taurus, it has 91000 miles on it and is on its 3rd torche converter. Next one will be a Toyota. I just have to save more money.

Nomilynn
07-18-2003, 01:34 PM
Rental cars also recieve very thourough, regular maintenance (or at least they should). I agree with Cookie.. have it checked out first by a mechanic you trust. If your mechanic says the car is in good condition, go for it :)

Vermontcat
07-18-2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
Personally, I wouldn't ever buy a car from a rental car company. The reason is that rental cars are the most abused cars out there. When people rent cars, they tend to believe, that since its not their car, they can drive as roughly as they want without worrying about it deteriorating faster. I know a lot of people who drive rental cars in a way they would never drive their own cars, so I'm assuming these cars may have problems show up before another car that's not a rental car. :confused:
I agree with Popcornbird, I have heard many stories from my husband about abused rental cars on business trips.
My husband says "I would never in a million years buy a used rental car."
There is a great scene in the movie "Days of Thunder" that shows what some rental cars may be put through.;)

Uabassoon
07-18-2003, 02:39 PM
My landlord and both of her daughters bought their cars from Budget rental cars and neither one of them have had any problems with their cars. Well other than normal wear and tear, Emmas had her car for 4 years now and she had to take it in for some maintnence, but it's never had to actually go into a shop.

micki76
07-18-2003, 03:10 PM
No way in H E double hockey sticks!!! My ex husband's a mechanic who owns his own shops. He would never advise anyone to purchase a former rental car. Not only have they been driven to death, many have been wrecked and I'm sure a lot of other "interesting" :o stuff has gone on in them if you get my drift. EEEEEEWWWWWWW!!!!

Cookiebaker
07-18-2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by micki76
No way in H E double hockey sticks!!! My ex husband's a mechanic who owns his own shops. He would never advise anyone to purchase a former rental car. Not only have they been driven to death, many have been wrecked and I'm sure a lot of other "interesting" :o stuff has gone on in them if you get my drift. EEEEEEWWWWWWW!!!!

EEEEEEEEWWWWW! :eek::eek: Now, I don't think I will ever rent one either! :rolleyes:

tomkatzid
07-18-2003, 03:35 PM
I work in a hotel with a Hertz rental car agent in the lobby. Even they don't recommend them to buy. But as I said in my earlier post, I drove my cougar, rental, for 220000 miles with under $1000 repair in the life of the car, and still sold it for $800.:eek:

catland
07-18-2003, 04:05 PM
Thank-you so much everyone for your input. Tomkat - funny, but I'm actually replacing my Toyota because it is a 93 Tercel that is a lemon (needs a new engine because of worn headgaskets or some such nonsense and I only have 66000 miles on it - essentially the repair will cost as much as the car is worth - it still drives just fine - just a nice puff of smoke on startup :mad: ) but we also have a 98 Corolla that has required almost no maintenance:).

I just hate the idea of going car shopping.:confused:

popcornbird
07-18-2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by catland
Thank-you so much everyone for your input. Tomkat - funny, but I'm actually replacing my Toyota because it is a 93 Tercel that is a lemon (needs a new engine because of worn headgaskets or some such nonsense and I only have 66000 miles on it - essentially the repair will cost as much as the car is worth - it still drives just fine - just a nice puff of smoke on startup :mad: ) but we also have a 98 Corolla that has required almost no maintenance:).

I just hate the idea of going car shopping.:confused:

Toyotas weren't that great years ago, but now they are AWESOME! Actually, the older ones weren't that bad at all though. I just didn't like the way they looked, and their seats, etc. but all old cars are like that. We used to have a 87 Toyota Corolla back when I was a wee little baby, and had it until 1999, when we got a Ford Taurus (horrible vehicle) and sold it. That Toyota, in the 12 years it was with us, NEVER gave any problems. Of course the normal wear and tear of older cars, but we got it new and had it for 12 years and other than very minor things that every car gets as it ages, it gave no problems whatsoever. Toyotas have great reliablity and they are just awesome, beautiful cars, especially the new ones. I love them!

tomkatzid
07-19-2003, 12:16 AM
This is what I want, but can't have:( WAY out of my price range. But it has 3 rows of seats. And I want to take out the middle row and leave the very back and add a dog bed in all the middle part. So tomorrow I'll buy lotto;)
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid70/p486cf85622f1528bebbbbaeebf44300d/fba2ba38.jpg

Miss Meow
07-19-2003, 02:31 AM
The saying over here is that rental cars 'go faster, stop quicker and beat everybody from the traffic lights.' :) My friend used to hire cars and race them ...

A former ex-rental car might be OK if it's a type that's not rented often, like the small cars. Most people seem to rent mid to large cars, which will have the greatest wear and tear.

Checking out ex-company cars may be useful. I'm not sure about your taxation laws, but most companies here lease cars for their executives for three years and then sell them via a dealer or auction at a big discount. Some are abused, but most are kept in tip-top shape.

Good luck. I put buying a car in the same category as buying swimsuits and jeans ... :rolleyes: