PDA

View Full Version : K-9 Karen???????

Sudilar
07-16-2003, 06:34 PM
Hello, K-9 Karen???? Have I missed any posts, new stories or pictures of your new addition, Logan??? I know you are probably very busy hugging and playing with the pup, but don't forget us....we need to know how it's going. Please check in when you can!!!!

lovemyshiba
07-16-2003, 09:53 PM
Oooooh yes!!!

I must have missed the posts too, lol!!!

Can't wait to see and hear more about Logan!!!!:D

Sudilar
07-17-2003, 09:16 AM
"bump"

Ohhhh Karen, are you out there???? Please, please update!!! :):)

Albea
07-17-2003, 12:11 PM
Sue, I've thinking about Karen and Logan II also and wondering how they are doing.
Karen, we miss you...

Logan
07-17-2003, 12:25 PM
She has an email on the way, from me, insisting that she update everyone! To her credit, she is suffering some pretty severe back pain right now, so I doubt the computer is the first place she wants to be. But a quick update for all would be good!!!

We do know that she is alive and kicking, and enjoying the heck out of her new girl, even if there are some huge adjustments to make!!

Logan

Sudilar
07-17-2003, 12:40 PM
Thanks for letting us know, Logan I. Poor Karen, I know how bad it is with back problems (my husband, father and brother)!! Hope you feel better quick! I'll wait patiently, but anxiously!!

AdoreMyDogs
07-17-2003, 02:49 PM
Karen, I am waiting on pins and kneedles to hear about the newest addition. How's it going with her?

I am so sorry about your back :( I know how that is and it's no fun at all. Take care and get some rest.

K9karen
07-17-2003, 11:12 PM
You all are the BEST! Sorry for the delay...as our Logan said, i hurt my already existing damaged spine over a week ago, lost all feeling in my right leg, but still manages..gimped..around to walk K9Logan, who I didn't belive had to suffer because of me. Anyway, on steroids again, pain med, muscle relaxers..geesh..phys. therapy starts Friday..3x a week indefinitely, more shots and hopefully no surgery. Leave it to me for perfect timing! Anyhoo! Where do I start..you know I don't writeshort cuts..so bear with me... LOL :rolleyes: Of course I was frustrated, having long past the 2 yrs old stage with no memory of the horror. I had to slap myself and calm down. K9Logan is SO loving, she will lay her head on my lap, under my arm, just so sweet. She usses her little dainty paws to swat (OUCH, already have scars... :eek: ) pushes my hand away if I do something she doesn't like. She sits/downs/ learning better stays but goes beserk when I'm on her level, so I'm working on standing up. making her sit/stay and ignoring her.
(oops..I forgot to add color..oh well)....
I'm learning her pee/poop habits and when she has to go. She loves our yard, having never had one. She just runs, rolls, slides, throws mouthful of grass around, chases the groundhogs, birds, butterflies, lightening bugs,, anyone or anything that flies, crawls, runs. She caught on to catching the ball and lets me take it from her mouth (hello? Cody? you listening?)
Sue, I've been meaning to email you..I will.. but she has an unbeliveable herding instinct...just goes head over heels OVER heels (attempt to be funny) then loves to ram into me.
She goes nuts in the car, barking at everyone/everything. I cannot be out of her sight for a second. She sleeps next to me all night.
I had an expensive private hr session w/ a trainer today. Oh, the memories. I took off the leather collar, for a choker (she hated it) but did GREAT on it. We did heels, sit, stays. She was petrified with the trainer and kept eyeing me. She is not food orientated so lots of praise and hugs works great. The trainer doesn't think she was socialized enough (not again :( ) so she said to bring her to the vet, sit outside and watch people and other dogs, plus go to strip malls etc. I doubt she'll be a therapy dog as I planned.
Tonight we practeced and she did great. I've been releasing her at the school yard (fenced) and she runs like the wind, always comes back when I whistle. I hold her when people and /or orther dogs are around. She's not fond of other dogs. Last night. we passed a girl with a HUGE black dog, they had a barking, lunging fiesta, so K9L and I went gently on our way when I hear "OH MY GOD!" turn around and see this huge dog flying over to us! The girl "lost the leash" (it unsnapped) and there was a dog fight with growls and teeth, but T.G. no injuries. Little girl really held her own. The other girl started crying, apologizing, and I lectured her on training (like I'm such a pro) and a Hailti. I was shaking like a leaf, and K9L was really upset.
So. I take her everywhere I can, try to go about my normal business but of course I spend too much time with her as I swore I wouldn't...I need to practice until I find another job. She doesn't listen to my mother at all, only me. She loves my brother now..go figure..but he teases her and riles her up. A big help. :mad:
Hope you're not sorry you asked!!!
Sue, Liz..any GSD people, any info on the herding etc would be valuable.....this my 1st time dealing with it....
My b-friend built a website for me....
no www...just K9karen.tafasite.com/logan
Notice the 3/4 view photo....it's Cody as DOTD.....scary.
Anyone want to post a few new ones for me (leave me OUT..yuk)
please help me do it...

Sorry to yak..you were warned.. and again,, ANY info on the heel nipping esp. would be a great help....
Love you all to pieces.......
K9K

captain
07-18-2003, 01:01 AM
Oh Karen ............... I too have severe back problems, so I can sympathise with you.!!!

Thanks for the lovely (lively!!!) update. We were missing you .... .:)

Site doesn't work tho ......... :(

anna_66
07-18-2003, 06:25 AM
Logan sounds like a truly wonderful girl and kinda reminds me a little of our Huney when we first got her.
I wish you good luck on getting her socialized with other people (our Huney-after a year is still very shy around strangers-but given time warms up to them) and dogs.
Sounds like she's a velcro dog to me!
Again, thanks for the update-hope your back starts feeling better soon. I know how you feel, been there done that!

Cookiebaker
07-18-2003, 06:38 AM
Oh thank you so much for the update!! I was wondering how things were settling in with Logan!! She sounds like a lovebug & a cuddler!

Sudilar
07-18-2003, 08:42 AM
Karen, hope your back gets better soon! Good luck with therapy.

Sounds like LoganII has found her forever person! She doesn't want to lose you. Sometimes rescue dogs need a little reassurance that you will not ever leave her. She will know that in time. About the herding...she is just taking care of you. LOL You'll have to tell her NO to save yourseld from getting knocked over. Once Killian ran after me full speed and bumped the back of my knee and I went crashing into the ground. Felt like I was hit by a truck!! I'll look for some info on the herding problem.

When you can, please check in and keep us updated!!!! Get well quick!

K9karen
07-18-2003, 01:30 PM
oops the site is..K9karen.tafasite.org/logan Thanks Sue, she's a pistol! I haven't even had a second to get a GSD book, let alone read it! I went to therapy this morning and my brother said she SCREAMED for 1/2 hour and ran around like a maniac! It was so hard to ignore her when I came in, but I made her sit before petting her and she actually jumped up and down! AW! There is NOTHING in the world like the love from a pooch! I have strict instructions NO DOG PULLING..so I'll need to use the choker tonight. I either have a herniated or bulging disc..yuk...Can't believe the timing ! I don't care about ME.. I want to interact with K9L!!

Sudilar
07-18-2003, 01:42 PM
How about a pinch collar? Your trainer can show you how to use it because it is tricky to use and you have to know how it's done correctly. I know it looks horribly cruel, but one of our trainers advised using it. I was so against it, but it has done wonders for Shiloh. Maybe our dear little LoganII has a bit of separation anxiety! Who can blame her!
Be very careful with your back! I hope therapy works!

lovemyshiba
07-18-2003, 02:25 PM
K9 Logan sounds so wonderful!!!!
She really sounds perfect for you Karen, like a match made in heaven. Being a rescue, she will probably live to please you, and hopefully she will learn quickly--I'm sure she's a very smart girl.

I hope your back feels better soon.

Cinder & Smoke
07-18-2003, 02:29 PM
Great Photos - of a GREAT Dawggie!!

K9 Logan is a Real Looker!!

Here's the link:

http://k9karen.tafasite.org/logan/ (http://k9karen.tafasite.org/logan/)

Hope your back starts feeling better - SOON! ;)

GoldenRetrLuver
07-18-2003, 02:32 PM
AWW! Logan is adorable! :D Great pics! :)

I hope your back feels better soon!

Sudilar
07-18-2003, 02:35 PM
You are BOTH beautiful!!!! Lucky, lucky girls!!!

pitc9
07-18-2003, 02:53 PM
I could NOT help but to respond after reading all the messages, I myself have 2 Rescue GDS's. I have never had a problem with them herding, but until we got our 2nd, the first one (Sierra) would come running from across the yard, and jump up and bite us on the arm, we swear she would try to see how high she could get!! We still have a problem with bit nipping. You have to watch your back ...or...I guess I mean butt. She'll sneak up behind you and nipp ya, then run away. Then we got our 2nd rescue (Buddy, the Black and tan) and all was well for a while. Sierra had stopped nipping and everything....but now...Buddy will run up to people, he won't nip, but he'll run up to people and bark at them, while Sierra sneaks up at the same time and nips them. We have to be careful when people are over, but most who come in our yard knows they have to watch. I have to save up money for training for the both of them!! Sierra is the sweetest little girl, she's a little cuddle bug that only wants lovings when she's ready (or when Buddy's getting lovings) Then there's Buddy (Boy oh Boy that Buddy) he was found living in a barn by himself, no one knows how long he was there, but I really think it was a long time because when I went to pick him up, he was crouched down, and would not pick his head up to look at people. Oh how it broke my heart, that's why I had to bring him home!!!! He attached himself to me the second I had him home, it took him almost a day before he would pick his head up and look at Sierra and my husband. We have a fenced in yard, but I was afraid to let him loose in it because I didn't know what he was going to do. Well...I found out the hard way that he will NOT poop when he's tied up to something! I sook out in the snow for hours at a time waiting for him to poo, we would go inside, and right away he would poo!! So one day I let him loose in the yard, and right away he pooed and never went potty in the house again!! Within days Buddy and Sierra were the best of friends, Sierra never wanted to stop playing (boy did they sleep good!!!) I had there crates, in a spare room right off the living room, and for weeks Buddy would not leave that room. And when my hubby would go near the room, Buddy would cower in his crate, and then started growling at him when he would get near him. Buddy would not even eat treats he knew my hubby threw for him!!! He would NEVER be in the same as him. Always running around the house trying to stay away from my hubby. It took him close to four months before he let my hubby get him in his crate, he cane running out and snapping at his feet once, other times he would just run in his crate and growl as Rick (my hubby) closed his crate. Well....now we've have Buddy at our house for 7 months and he now takes treats out of Rick's hand, comes when Rick calls him (does not get real close to Rick, but he'll get close enough for Rick to stick his hand out, Buddy licks his hand, then he runs away. (silly silly boy) But Buddy will still freak out if he finds himself in a room with Rick with no way out, even if it's a bed room.... no matter how big or small of a room is it, if Buddy and Rick are in that room together and Buddy has no way out, he feels traped and acts like Rick is going to kill him. Rick has never done anything to Buddy to have him act this way. I am sooo thankful Rick has held on this long, there have been two times where I was looking for a new home for Buddy because Rick just didn't want to put up with him. But bless Rick's heart for sticking it out this long and I pray that Buddy keeps comming around and one day the four of us can all be one big happy family!!!! I am so sorry for going on for so long, but I just love my pups sooooo much, that I can never stop talking about them!! So....now you know why I need to get both the pups some training!!! But I wouldn't trade my rescues for the WORLD!!
There love is so true! Nothing can compare!!!!

Freckles
07-18-2003, 03:53 PM
I think this is my favorite picture of K9 Logan
http://k9karen.tafasite.org/logan/06jul03/w500/06jul03_06.jpg
What a beautiful pose.

lovemyshiba
07-18-2003, 03:56 PM
Just look at this smile!!
http://k9karen.tafasite.org/logan/orig/Logan703e.jpg

Pam
07-18-2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Sudilar
How about a pinch collar? Your trainer can show you how to use it because it is tricky to use and you have to know how it's done correctly. I know it looks horribly cruel, but one of our trainers advised using it. I was so against it, but it has done wonders for Shiloh. Maybe our dear little LoganII has a bit of separation anxiety! Who can blame her!
Be very careful with your back! I hope therapy works!

Sue it's funny that you just mentioned a pinch collar because I saw my first one last weekend. I was at the breeder's house with my daughter, Christiansmommy, and we were picking up little Dale. I told him that I had to use a Halti on Bella for her pulling. He said that used correctly it is fine but there have been reports of cervical (neck) injuries to dogs when used incorrectly. He showed me a pinch collar which he prefers and explained how it works. Since he breeds Greater Swiss Mountain Dogs I can certainly see how it would work well for them. He gave me a demonstration and I have to say it looks much worse than it actually is. Karen you might want to give it a try!

Sue, I had to laugh about your other post where you said Killian ran into you and it felt like you had been hit by a truck. Bella and I collided in the yard several months ago and she bashed into my knee. I saw stars! Every now and then I think I feel something sort of slide in that knee. :rolleyes: Dogs should come with warning labels "Play with me - at your own risk!" :D

KYS
07-18-2003, 04:34 PM
Karen,

I hope your back will be feeling better soon.
K-9 Logan is sure a beauty and she sounds
wonderful. Don't faint, but I wanted
Rocky to be a Therapy dog. After having him for
only 2 weeks, he blew that idea out of the water. :rolleyes:
Keep Logans updates comming.
Soon you are going to be a pro with training dogs. :)

shais_mom
07-18-2003, 11:04 PM
She is beautiful!
YEAA!

pitc9
07-19-2003, 08:04 AM
I'm sorry I blabbed my life story in the middle of all this! :(

Pam
07-19-2003, 08:14 AM
Angie don't apologize! I know Karen will soak up everything that you so carefully put down in your post. After all, this is a forum where we share! :) Your dogs are GORGEOUS (sorry for the feminine term!) :) Please don't hesitate to offer opinions, suggestions or just a cute story or picture here. Welcome to Pet Talk! We are a loving group of folks who are just crazy about our pets! :)

Sudilar
07-19-2003, 09:52 AM
Angie, your story is welcome here. It shows love and devotion. It shows how dogs with baggage can adjust, sometimes quickly, sometimes with a lot of work. All of us can learn something from your story. Continue to share (especially pics of your gorgeous GSDs....I'm prejudiced of the breed, you know.....hahaha, especially RESCUES!!!).

Rachel
07-19-2003, 12:10 PM
Angie, your story is so inspirational. Thank you for sharing it. Buddy has come a long way considering what he has probably had to endure in his lifetime. The encouraging part is that he is making substantial progress. I would bet that the gains will continue. Don't forget to praise heartily when you see a response you've been looking for.

On the picture, which is Buddy and which is his sister? They are both so stunning.

Karen, the website is awesome. Thank you, BF, aka John, for setting this up so we can enjoy it. Good work.

DoggiesAreTheBest
07-19-2003, 01:24 PM
Karen,

Congrats on your new addition! Logan is GORGEOUS!! Hope your back starts feeling better.

And Angie, your GSD are stunning! They took my breath away! And your story is inspirational!

Albea
07-19-2003, 01:31 PM
Oh Karen, Logan is so beautiful! And she looks like such a happy pup.:D I'm so glad you found one another.
I hope your back stops giving you trouble. It's hard to train and play with a doggie when you can hardly move.
Hugs to you both from Carina and Alicia

lizbud
07-19-2003, 08:39 PM
Karen,

Logan is sure a beauty. I loved the pictures. You know it is
difficult to look back & remember all the behaviors of a dog as
they were growing up.Seems so long ago, but Buddy did have
a thing for running at me while I tried to work in the back yard.
Also tried to play nip to get me to chase him & play.:rolleyes:
I had to resort to putting him on a time out chain once in awhile
just so I wouldn't have to watch my back for a full force charge.:D
He loved to chase a tennis ball & could actually catch it mid air
off a bounce from the garage wall.I would play this game with
him as long as my arm held out & he gradually accepted that as
a "people" game instead of the rougher stuff.I hope Sue and
others can offer other alternative "games" for you & Logan.:D
Hope your therapy goes well & your're feeling better soon. Hugs
and kisses to that sweet & beautiful love bug Logan. :)
This pic reminds me a lot of Buddy.
http://k9karen.tafasite.org/logan/06jul03/w500/06jul03_19.jpg

Sudilar
07-19-2003, 08:54 PM
I was wondering if LoganII would maybe like Agility. That is a really fun sport.

Shiloh just LOVES chasing her ball around the yard and also her frisbee. She wears me out!

She is so adorable!

primabella
07-19-2003, 08:58 PM
Oh Logan ( II ;) ) is gorgeoous! I hope you feel better soon.

K9karen
07-20-2003, 10:09 PM
Wow! What a great response..thanks bundles, Angie, for your help and all of you for enjoying the website that BF, aka, John, did for me....he loves taking K9L's photo! Ah Ha! I think I have her number,,,, this evening after dinner, we all went to the back yard, I put her on the long lead and she ran and played with her squeaky toy and tennis ball and sniffed and had a blast..(this is after her walk and run in the school yard). I very carefully struggled up our slope to the patio and she came at my ankles, heels and legs. What a fun time SHE had, playing around, but it didn't feel great to me. I thought of the easiest thing..I had forgotten, as Cody just thought "ho hum a can of coins" but she jumped back 10 feet!! So, I think I found a solution, despite carrying it around! One shake, a "no bites" did the trick. By the end of the night, all I had to do is touch the can and she was as good as gold! I'll say one thing, she is the most affectionate dog I've ever met. She actually tries to hug me and rests her head on my lap or under my arm! I'm just relieved I loved Cody in HIS own way and that she is so different. Therapy is OUT. Too late according to the trainer..but that's ok, she's socializing well, I take her everywhere...except, if she's IN the car, she barks her head off at everyone... Thanks you (secret BF) Phred for posting the website........ ;)

Sudilar
07-20-2003, 10:17 PM
Ahhhhh, the dreaded "coins in a can" trick!! Glad you found something to work. Soon just a correction will work. She is such a smart doggie!!! Sounds like you had tons of fun!

captain
07-20-2003, 11:30 PM
Please explain the can of coins to me ................... :)

Sudilar
07-21-2003, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by captain
Please explain the can of coins to me ................... :)

Take a soda can and put some coins in it and tape up the top.
When the dog does something you want them to stop doing immediately, shake the can. The noise of the coins in the can usually startles them (depending on the dog) and they will stop the undesired action. Sometime you can throw the can in their direction (do not hit them with it!). LOL Many dogs are bothered by the loud noises in the can and others (like mine) couldn't care less.

captain
07-21-2003, 10:38 PM
WOW - I think I am going to try that one!!!!

What a good idea. I KNOW Ruby will stop with noise, ....... not Captain tho ...... he has NO EARS!!!

pitc9
07-22-2003, 07:53 AM
In the pictures, Buddy is the Black & Tan, and Sierra is the Sable

Here are a few other pictures:
http://community.webshots.com/user/pitc9

I can't believe I JUST found pet talk!!! Man oh Man, I'm so happy to find other people just as crazy about there pets as I am!!

Is anyone from North Eastern Ohio???