PDA

View Full Version : Clicker Training????

cloverfdx
07-16-2003, 10:44 AM
i was just wondering if anyone has clicker trained any of their pets/animals?

as i am going to start her clicker training in some obedience exercises (she lacks enthusiasm in heeling) and lags terribly in her off lead work.

and also general training with the other 2 dogs (make the reward instant hopfully)

:o ohhh and if anyone has tried clicker training with their cats could you please share storys :D i am going to try with my cat YUMI to teach her more commands (trying to get her into acting/TV work) and she needs to know a few more commands (knows, sit,drop,come,& heel sort of lol)

so any advice would be realy great

thanks in advance rhiannon and the furry kids

Crikit
07-16-2003, 07:05 PM
all 3 of my dogs have been clicker trained I don't use it much though because I always forget where my clicker is and I find it just as easy to use the praise words instead of the clicker.

cloverfdx
07-17-2003, 08:07 AM
thanks for the reply cricket, did your dogs catch on quickly to the click and praise?

Kona & Oreo's mom
07-17-2003, 10:51 AM
Oreo and I took clicker training at our local Humane Society/SPCA. The class was for beginning training (sit, stay, down, etc.), and she absolutely loved it. She caught on to the clicker-treat pairing right away, so the instant reward worked wonders when trying to shape a specific behavior. It worked for us!

Good luck and have fun! :)

Crikit
07-17-2003, 07:53 PM
Yeah actually they did. I think it's because when I first used the lcicker with each of the dogs the first thing I did was just click and then give them a treat so that they would associate the click meant a good thing and even before I used the clicker they knew what the praise words meant.

For the praise words I always use either "YES" or "GOOD DOG" in a really happy voice, and they all know what it means when they hear it .

taylorboy
07-18-2003, 10:44 AM
We clicker trained Taylor and I wouldn't do it any other way. He caught on very quickly and I'm able to teach him new things by still using the clicker and he is almost a year old. I don't use it for everyday things anymore like sit, down, stay, come because they get used to frequently but if I"m working on a new command or trick I still use it. Also teaching heal is terribly hard. I have a 90lb puppy on the end of a leash and I"ve been using a haltie since he was 4 months old b/c he's so strong but I find heal very hard to teach so if there are any suggestions. We've been through 2 different sets of classes and I get so frustrated with heal that we usually give up and as long as he's not pulling then I'm happy. Good luck with the clicker. My boyfriend refuses to use it b/c it gets so annoying sounding and that it does.

binka_nugget
07-31-2003, 09:21 PM
I tried clicker training Kai. I think he got use to the sound and doesn't care for it anymore. Everyone use to click all the time...just for fun....gr.. I tried using a whistle instead..he did pretty well on that.

puppygrrl4eva7
08-03-2003, 11:26 PM
Hmm what's Clicker Training?:confused:

binka_nugget
08-04-2003, 05:57 AM
This page explains what clicker training is.. http://www.clickertrain.com/whatis.html Although, when I read it from that site, I got a bit confused myself lol. What it basically is, is when an animal does something you like, you click and reward. The click has to be on time. You click while the animal is doing something you like and the reward follows the click. The click marks the spot telling the animal that it's that specific action you like.

cali
08-21-2003, 04:17 PM
oo I lOVE clicker training! it works sooo well, happy took a long time to learn the box turn in flyball this was with no clicker, and she still has a bad box turn, misty was clicker trained her box turn, and is gorgous! ALWAYS right on target and always 4 feet on the box, we also clicker trained her to fetch the tennis ball, she can get the ball from the box now solidly thanks to the clicker, same with Ripley we clicker trained him, and now he does all the stuff we clicker trained him to do all the time in hope of getting a click!:p perky does tricks just hoping for the click to, and she is very good, they know what the click means and they keep trying until they get the click:D worked a miracal on happy, clickering is what we used to get her so much better and out of her fear aggression, we could not get her in a petstore, 2 weeks later of clicker training she was sleeping inside the store:D and we had tried all the same things without the clicker before and it just did not work using only praisewords not for happy anyway, you can also us a one sylible word, like "ta" or "yes" those work just the same as the clicker and just as well:)

cloverfdx
08-22-2003, 09:53 AM
cali that is great about your success with cliker training :)

well i have been using a clicker for a few weeks so far and it is working wonders, clover is retrieving items other than tennis balls now and her recalls are so much quicker (well her response to the command)

theo our chihuahua is being clicker trained for flyball and that is going great, he is more confident with jumping and the box .

and our possible new BC pup will most definatly be clicker trained from day 1 *happy dance yay*

binka_nugget
09-15-2003, 09:10 AM
Well, I guess Kai did care for the clicker afterall. This weekend, I've taught him to put his right foot on my right foot (Foot), and vice versa (other foot). Not only is he really accurate but he learned this together and got it down within 2 minutes flat. I also taught him to put his nose on my lips (Kiss) this weekend. :D I'll definately be using the clicker for agility training.