PDA

View Full Version : Spit yourself to a life sentence

jonza
07-16-2003, 07:20 AM
Now this doesn’t sound like a very nice guy at all, but doesn’t the following sound a bit malicious?

OKLAHOMA CITY (Reuters) -- An Oklahoma man arrested on suspicion of beating his wife faced a year in prison and a fine. But when he spat in an arresting officer's face, he got a life sentence instead, officials said Wednesday.

John Carl Marquez, 36, was convicted of "placing bodily fluid upon a government employee," a felony that can carry a life sentence because of the possibility of transmitting a potentially deadly disease.

State judge April Sellers White sentenced Marquez this week even though Marquez and the officer tested negative for any communicable disease.

Marquez also was convicted of assaulting a police officer, and a jury recommended the maximum sentence because he had previous convictions.

Marquez, arrested several months ago, could have received one year in prison and a $3,000 fine for wife beating, according to the Creek County court clerk's office.

His lawyers said they plan to appeal.

"placing bodily fluid upon a government employee," - aren't some of these legal terms cute!

bnormal
07-16-2003, 08:09 AM
I don't have a problem with the sentence. Spitting on a Police Officer is generally not a smart thing to do and you might be asking for trouble in doing so. This guy chose to spit on an officer of the law, too bad for him that he didn't realize it was a felony carrying a life sentence...

What I do find interesting is that beating your wife only gets a year in prison and spitting on a government employee gets you life...I think that is the real dilema of this story!

:D :D :D

koxka
07-16-2003, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by bnormal

What I do find interesting is that beating your wife only gets a year in prison and spitting on a government employee gets you life...I think that is the real dilema of this story!

Yes, that's what I was thinking too..... curious eh? :mad:

bnormal
07-16-2003, 09:28 AM
koxka, please forgive my ignorance but where exactly is "Catalonia"? ;)

Logan
07-16-2003, 09:43 AM
I'm wondering if Oklahoma has one of those "three strikes and you get a life sentence" laws? Some states do, and it doesn't matter what you are arrested for, if they get you three times, you're sentenced to life! Of course, I don't have any facts, but surely that has to be the explanation! I'm still scratching my head over only a small fine and a one year sentence for wife beating!!! :(

clara4457
07-16-2003, 01:23 PM
I don't have a problem with the sentence. Spitting on a Police Officer is generally not a smart thing to do and you might be asking for trouble in doing so. This guy chose to spit on an officer of the law, too bad for him that he didn't realize it was a felony carrying a life sentence...

Ditto - especially since it is more likely to transfer body fluids (i.e. blood) if you are beating the s*** out of someone.

jonza
07-16-2003, 01:25 PM

I fully agree with that, I just thought that the sentence for spitting was just a tiny weeny bit over the top in any situation. :confused:

RICHARD
07-16-2003, 01:52 PM
i'd rather take my chances with crazy spitting americans................

Elderly Man Ends Argument with Grenade

Jul 16, 7:57 am ET

BELGRADE (Reuters) - An elderly Serb ended a heated argument with his neighbor by lobbing a hand grenade and severing the man's arm, Tanjug news agency said Tuesday.
Milan Djokic, 70, was charged with attempted murder and illegal weapons possession after attacking Slavko Grujic, also 70, in the northern town of Zrenjanin Monday.

Grujic first caught the grenade and threw it back, but the device exploded on a second try by Djokic. Tanjug did not say what they were arguing about.

koxka
07-16-2003, 06:56 PM
koxka, please forgive my ignorance but where exactly is "Catalonia"? ;)

You are more than welcome to ask :)

Here is I come from...the little red dot :D
The land of Dali, Pau Casals, Gaudi, Miró,Montserrat Caballé... to name some.
If I say "Barcelona" I bet you know, is the capital.
There's another part of Catalonia that belongs to France, nowadays, but that's another story...

http://www.catalonia.com/aboutCataloniaMap.gif

koxka
07-16-2003, 07:24 PM
I don't know why the image doesn't show up!?! :(

lizbud
07-16-2003, 08:04 PM
Koxka,

The map shows up just fine. I thought Barcelona was part of
Spain. :confused: Thanks for the map. It does help me picture
in my mind just what part of the world you live in.

Jonza,

"placing bodily fluid upon a government employee," - aren't some of these legal terms cute!

That's not legal jargon, it's "police speak". It's the way they
framed(no pun intended) the charge against the guy. The charge
then has to be proved to violate a specific law which might read
quite differently, but still carry a felony status. Or the state of
Ok. might indeed have the 3 strikes law and that's what qualifies
the guy to get a life sentence. Wonder how many previous
convictions the man had & for what? The U.S. takes the AIDS
threat very seriously & spitting on a cop? Forget about it.... :eek:

bnormal
07-16-2003, 09:32 PM
lizbud, sounds like we both learned something today!;)

KYS
07-16-2003, 10:49 PM
posted by bnormal:lizbud, sounds like we both learned something today!;)

Make that three! :D

I also found it a bit disturbing that beating your wife only
gets 1 year in prison vs spitting can get you life.

lovemyshiba
07-16-2003, 11:27 PM
Add me to the educated list!!!

It is disturbing--beat your wife--1 year in prison
spit on a cop--life sentence
The judicial system never ceases to amaze me

Twisterdog
07-17-2003, 12:28 AM
Let's see .... he beats his wife, he spits on police officers, he has prior convictions .... I personally think it is a very GOOD thing that this loser is going to be locked up for a long while, before some innocent person dies at his hands. I say good for them for finding some way to put this creep away!

koxka
07-17-2003, 01:36 AM
I thought Barcelona was part of Spain

Hey people, how said it isn't? :D :D :D

I will edit the post later, now I have to hurry up to the post ofice to pick up the new books just arived from Seatle , Washington.....Uh! I thought they came from the USA :confused:

:D :D :D :D :D

gini
07-17-2003, 11:02 AM
:D :D Oh no, Seattle, Washington is an island off of our west coast.:D :D

Years ago, I traveled by car from France into your beautiful country. The day we crossed the border several things happened. The sun came out, people were far more friendly, the food was excellent, the prices much more tolerable and utter beauty hit your senses. It has always been one of my fondest memories.

koxka
07-18-2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by gini
:D :D Oh no, Seattle, Washington is an island off of our west coast.:D :D

Years ago, I traveled by car from France into your beautiful country. The day we crossed the border several things happened. The sun came out, people were far more friendly, the food was excellent, the prices much more tolerable and utter beauty hit your senses. It has always been one of my fondest memories.

Thanks gini for you nice comments about my country. Glad you had a great time here..I wonder in what part or parts have you been.

:( Am I wrong that Seattle belongs to the State of Washington, island or not?

Most members write the area they live and the State that belongs to...wel I did just the same.I write down the area and the Comunidad Autonomica that belongs to (Comunidad Autonóma=State in USA). As easy as that. I didn't say it doesn't belong to Spain ....or not :D

By the way, have you all a terrific time at the BBQ :p.

lizbud
07-18-2003, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by koxka

Most members write the area they live and the State that belongs to...wel I did just the same.I write down the area and the Comunidad Autonomica that belongs to (Comunidad Autonóma=State in USA). As easy as that. I didn't say it doesn't belong to Spain ....or not :D

Of course you did. I am so dense some times.:o I only thought
about THAT after I had already posted. Sorry.:o I did however
do some research on your area & it sounds beautiful & very
interesting. It has a very rich history.Sounds like a place I would love to visit sometime. :D

moosmom
07-19-2003, 05:22 AM
No wonder the prisons are so over crowded. *sigh* :rolleyes: And while I certainly agree with everyone here, it never ceases to amaze me, that there are THOUSANDS of homeless adults and children out in the world, yet we're housing, feeding AND giving these scumbag criminals educations for FREE out of OUR tax dollars!!!!!

Go figure.