PDA

View Full Version : 10 worst excuses not to spay or neuter

wolfsoul
07-16-2003, 02:15 AM
I was looking at an adoption site, and found this here:

TEN WORST EXCUSES

NOT TO SPAY OR NEUTER YOUR COMPANION ANIMAL

1. Just one litter and then we'll have Fluffy spayed. (Studies show that virtually the entire pet overpopulation stems from the "just one litter"mentality.)

2. My dog doesn't run loose, so he doesn't need to be fixed. (Murphy's Law says otherwise.)

3. We always find homes for the kittens. (And that means that an equal number of kittens at the pound will be killed.)

4. I want the children to witness the miracle of birth. (Rent a video.)

5. My dog is so cute and unique, there should be more of her. (The shelters and pounds are full of cute and unique dogs, most with only a few days to live.)

6. It's not natural. (There hasn't been anything "natural" about dogs since we began to develop breeds thousands of years ago.)

7. I just couldn't look my dog in the eye if I had him castrated. (Watch it, you're anthropomorphizing.)

8. A female dog or cat should have at least one litter for health reasons. (Medically, factually, and ethically indefensible.)

9. Neutering my dog will make him fat and lazy. (Too much food and not enough exercise make a dog fat and lazy.)

10. Fixing my pet will change its personality. (The primary influences on an animal's personality are the kindness and care with which it is raised.)

There were some graphic pics, but I chose not to post them here. (unless there are people who don't get the point and want me to post them :rolleyes: )

wolfsoul
07-16-2003, 02:27 AM
This (http://www.adoptmenow.com/english/index.htm) is the website. Although educational, it has some graphic pics, and even the way they say things has a way of bringing you to tears.

Nomilynn
07-16-2003, 02:43 AM
Thanks for posting this. I'm sure it's the most common reasons, too :(. The sad thing is, people who don't see the need to spay or neuter, and use one of those reasons (ie my pet is always inside etc) usually refuse to have an open mind. It's sad, and I wish there was a way to make all people understand.

bnormal
07-16-2003, 07:45 AM
No one loves Doberman Pinschers more than me! However, I can't fathom the desire to ever breed this beloved pooch! Of course that is my decision. I can't possibly speak for anyone else.

However, what I still don't get is why the federal/state government doesn't regulate breeding and offer tax incentives to spay/neuter? Since the costs of running a shelter (I believe that shelters are payrolled by taxes, donations and purchase fees) are very steep why not legislate breeding and offer financial incentives to spay/neuter? Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't shelters/rescues the result of needless breeding and irresponsible ownership?

In Columbus, Ohio, dog licenses are a few bucks cheaper if your pooch is spayed/neutered. Other than that it's breed at will!

:D :D :D