PDA

View Full Version : Captivity

allanimalswelcome
07-15-2003, 12:41 PM
I'm curious what is everyones view on captivity?

Personally any wild animal, a species that unlike dogs and cats has not evolved to live with us should stay wild. Most wild animals die early anyway and captive breeding often doesn't help the wild populations because the animals are kept in captivity. Think of those huge whales who were almost gone yet because people worked hard to improve probelms in the wild the numbers have gone up. I ask you how many of these whales are in captivity?

I have no probelm with animal sanctuaries who rescue animals and let them live without further exploitation.

~Rachel

Airedalekisses
07-15-2003, 08:51 PM
I don't believe in captivity-the only human intervention I would like to see is helping distressed animals-the whales, drought stricken elephants, population control of starving animals...the sanctuaries are a good idea in theory;but sometimes there is an issue of money-usually not enough and the animals suffer.

CathyBogart
07-15-2003, 09:34 PM
I don't believe in taking a wild animal into captivity, and on the same note, I don't believe -in most cases- in releasing animals born in captivity.

People have used this argument against me keeping my reptiles, and it's a bit of a sore spot for me. My girls were all hatched in captivity, and I doubt any of them would be able to survive if released. They all have lots of space and love.

Ya gotta problem with dat? ^.^

Karen
07-15-2003, 09:55 PM
I think that in some cases, captive breeding is necessary until the animal's natural habitat is secure again. Look at the Rhinocerous population - there have been many bred in America, and they are careful to keep mixing up the gene pool by moving animals around to different zoos/sanctuaries. Some day, I hope the descendants of these animals will be safe in their native Africa, but this is simply not now the case.

Pandas are slaughtered in China, and their numbers are growing perilously scarce in many regions. Shouldn't we, as humans, try to keep the species viable, even if it means doing so in captivity?

I would not take any wild mammal around here captive, but the world has enough chipmonks, squirrels, chickadees, raccoons, etc. - they have adapted well to living amongst humankind, and are in no danger as a species. That doesn't mean I can't enjoy Chippie or any of the wild critters that live in or pass through my yard, I love seeing them, wild as they are.

allanimalswelcome
07-16-2003, 09:19 AM
Well reptiles have been pets for awhile anyway and they make better pets then say a elephant.

Pandas aren't as slaughtered as there habitat is destroyed BUT their are nature preserves which are protected land for the pandas.

~Rachel

clara4457
07-16-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Karen
I think that in some cases, captive breeding is necessary until the animal's natural habitat is secure again. Look at the Rhinocerous population - there have been many bred in America, and they are careful to keep mixing up the gene pool by moving animals around to different zoos/sanctuaries. Some day, I hope the descendants of these animals will be safe in their native Africa, but this is simply not now the case.

I agree, especially since it is generally the encroachment of humans that have caused the near extinction of some animals.

I also have a great deal of respect for wildlife rehabilitation facilities that make a conscience effort to limit the human contact so that these animals can be released back into their natural habitats.