PDA

View Full Version : You won't believe what she got!

allanimalswelcome
07-15-2003, 11:16 AM
You won't believe what my brother's girlfriend has as a pet now.

Dog? No

Cat? No

Fish?No

Bird?No

Snake?No

Monkey? YES! :eek:

He just got off the phone with her and said "Well I'm a father now" I was like WHAT!!! And then he told me she got a monkey.

WHY would anyone buy a monkey??? :confused:

Well I'll find out tonite when Amanda comes over with my neice/nephew.
:rolleyes:

~Rachel

GoldenRetrLuver
07-15-2003, 11:51 AM
I dont see why anyone would buy a monkey. There not meant as pets, they deserve to be out in the wild.

I Love Brian, Forever <3
07-15-2003, 11:54 AM
Iguanas, turtles, every animal deserves not to be in captivity. Maybe the monkey has never been in the wild.

Monkeys would be cool to own.

GoldenRetrLuver
07-15-2003, 11:56 AM
I just dont think anyone should own one...:rolleyes:

allanimalswelcome
07-15-2003, 11:56 AM
I believe it was captive born.

Not sure how I feel on the issue

luckies4me
07-15-2003, 12:14 PM
If the person takes the time to research them as pets, their living and husbandry/feeding needs and they have the time and money, why not?

My veterinarian, who also happens to be my boss has (actually had) 2 lemurs. He used to work at Wildlife Safari and was the head vet at the zoo. He has an enclosure better than most of the zoos! His lemurs are very spoiled. He takes very good care of them.

One actually just passed away however while he was on vacation. It was pretty old, and they were devastated to find out the news. :(

I do not agree that any old person should own an exotic, and believe I get a lot of rescues in, but if the person has the knowledge and tons of experience, or is willing to commit the time and love needed to care for such an animal than so be it.

allanimalswelcome
07-15-2003, 12:17 PM
Well...

I still don't know. These is monkey. A wild animal. I don't really agree with any wild animal being in captivity.

Unlike dogs and cats and such they haven't evolved over thousands of years to live with humans.

I know many animals such as birds can have wild counterparts but monkeys are still wild.

~Rachel

I Love Brian, Forever <3
07-15-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by GoldenRetrLuver
I just dont think anyone should own one...:rolleyes:

Well then, that's YOUR opinion, isn't it? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

GoldenRetrLuver
07-15-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by I Love Brian, Forever <3

Yes it is, and im saying it.

GoldenRetrLuver
07-15-2003, 12:20 PM
I agree with you, allanimalswelcome. :)

I Love Brian, Forever <3
07-15-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by GoldenRetrLuver
Yes it is, and im saying it.

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

GoldenRetrLuver
07-15-2003, 12:24 PM
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Thank You!!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I Love Brian, Forever <3
07-15-2003, 12:25 PM
;)

allanimalswelcome
07-15-2003, 12:30 PM
Amanda called and asked if we had any baby supplies we didn't want. We will give her it when she comes over tonight.

The monkey is a Rhesus Macaque :confused:

It's a year old.

It's a male and she named him "Sammy"

~Rachel

luckies4me
07-15-2003, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by allanimalswelcome
Well...

I still don't know. These is monkey. A wild animal. I don't really agree with any wild animal being in captivity.
~Rachel

How do you think a lot of endangered animals come back to live in the wild, from the brink of extinction? Through CAPTIVITY!

My boss helped artificially inseminate Cheetahs and has helped up their numbers by hundreds. Their zoo has the best Cheetah breeding program in the US.

Chinchillas, if not taken in by humans would be extinct. There are barely any left living in the wild do to the fur trade, but because humans domesticated them they are still around. Now this doesn't mean any animal should just be taken from the wild, but sometimes it is very necessary. After all, it's our fault they are going extinct. The least we can do is put them into a captive breeding program and hope to one day set them free again.

allanimalswelcome
07-15-2003, 12:32 PM
Humpback whales were on the brink of extinction. How many humpback whales are in captivity?

~Rachel

luckies4me
07-15-2003, 12:42 PM
Humpback whales were on the brink of extinction. How many humpback whales are in captivity?

~Rachel

God that is the stupidist reponse I have ever heard. Did I say all animals? NO I did not. Of course you are not going to put a whale that large into captivity, it's impossible! :rolleyes:

Look you have your opinion and I have mine. I have exotics here at my house, and take in abused and neglected animals and we as a rescue rely on those dedicated, knowldegable people to adopt from us, so that the animals can have a good life. Now you think what you want, I could care less. My animals are healthy and happy and well taken care of, and for someone to tell me that I should not own my pets is just plain stupid if I can provide for them in all the ways needed.

allanimalswelcome
07-15-2003, 12:45 PM
Glad you think so:rolleyes:

I have no probelm with rescue or sanctuaries but I do not like zoos, aquariums, and circuses. And that is my opinoin.

~Rachel

luckies4me
07-15-2003, 12:48 PM
Glad you think so:rolleyes:

I have no probelm with rescue or sanctuaries but I do not like zoos, aquariums, and circuses. And that is my opinoin.

~Rachel

So I guess you think the Cheetah breeding program at Wildlife Safari is bad because the animals are kept at a drive in zoo with spacious enclosures that stretch miles, and the animals are kept 'almost' exactly as they would be if they were in the wild? They are trying to help these poor animals! How can that be wrong?

allanimalswelcome
07-15-2003, 01:03 PM
I don't honestly know. I've never heard of the place but I'll do research. It's rare that I ever like a zoo.

One zoo that I do somewhat like is the Austin Zoo. Completly non-profit and 90% of the animals ar rescues.

~Rachel

luckies4me
07-15-2003, 01:05 PM
Well you would like this place because it looks just like Africa! That's why it is called Wildlife Safari. It's HUGE! It's a drive through zoo because it is so big. The animals have great enclosures. I am sure you could find info online .......at least you should be able to. :)

luckies4me
07-15-2003, 01:10 PM
Here is their website:

http://www.wildlifesafari.org/

;)

allanimalswelcome
07-15-2003, 01:12 PM
I had already found the weblink but thanks.

~Rachel

luckies4me
07-15-2003, 01:16 PM
Just in case you don't read this page:

Frank Hart, Wildlife Safari's founder and past president, was a frequent traveler to Africa. In his many visits, Hart started to notice the disappearing wildlife and decided he wanted to do something about it. As president of a large real estate company in southern California, Hart purchased the land in Southern Oregon. It was on a major freeway, was near population areas and had a mild climate for the animals. This 600-acre parcel is now Wildlife Safari.
Opening in the spring of 1973, Wildlife Safari has developed and changed over the last 30 years. In 1980, Wildlife Safari became a non-profit organization, run by the Safari Game Search Foundation Inc.

In 1986, the park was first accredited by the American Zoo and Aquarium Association. Through this affiliation, the park participates in Species Survival Plans (SSP), which match animals with the greatest genetic diversity for the best chance of survival. We have become internationally known for our cheetah breeding program, with over 130 cubs born at the park since opening.

Wildlife Safari is dedicated to conservation, education & research of native and exotic wildlife. It is our commitment to educate the public about the status of animals around the world.

allanimalswelcome
07-15-2003, 01:18 PM
Okay.

~Rachel

bluekat
07-15-2003, 02:22 PM
I don't know if I agree with owning a monkey or not, but just if the person does enough research and knows about them a lot. I would like to own a monkey too:D
I think some people own tigers, I have always wanted a tiger:)

wolfsoul
07-15-2003, 02:45 PM
Just to let everyone know, there IS someone on PT with monkeys, so let's not offend anyone.

I believe monkeys make great pets. There are many domesticated monkeys nowdays. You know what is cruel? to take a domesticated monkey and put in the wild. THAT is cruel.

You know, there are now domesticated skunks (And I'm seriously thinking about owning one in a few years), rats used to be/ are wild, snakes are wild, iguanas are wild, budgies are wild, parrots are wild, a million other things that we see as pets today are wild or used to be wild. Monkeys are no different.

allanimalswelcome
07-15-2003, 02:46 PM
Tiger and monkeys will become highly agresive when they reach sexual maturity and altering them doesn't help.

wolfsoul
07-15-2003, 02:56 PM
That only depends. It's not a general thing.

There are lots of animals that do that when they reach sexual maturity or later. African giant pouched rats, squirrels, skunks. But nowadays there are breeders that breed for temperment, much like dog breeders. Eventually the aggressivness can be bred out of a line.

allanimalswelcome
07-15-2003, 03:00 PM
I've never heard of anyone on PT owning monkeys:confused:

No No No! Monkey DO NOT make great pets! Today I looked at a bunch of websites and almost all of them said that a monkey will become agreesive no matter what you do. They will attack a favorite person at the slightist provoction.

If they make great pets so many wouldn't have been dumped in sanctuaries every year.

wolfsoul
07-15-2003, 03:04 PM
monkeyluver has a bunch of monkeys.

You know, I've also visited websites and heard people say the exact same thing about maremma sheepdogs.

allanimalswelcome
07-15-2003, 03:05 PM
Actually...

agreesiveness I don't think can be breed out of the line with monkeys.

~Rachel

allanimalswelcome
07-15-2003, 03:06 PM
I'm going to PM monkeyluver right now.

Tina
07-15-2003, 04:52 PM
If she has done all of her research,has the money,time and etc.. to take care of the monkey. Then that is great.

Personally I don't think I would want a monkey. And I don't think there is anything with some zoo's. There are some in the world that shouldn't have wild animals. But hey that is just my opinion.

allanimalswelcome
07-15-2003, 08:05 PM
I'll say this again: If monkeys made "great pets" then sanctuaries wouldn't be full of ex-pets.

~Rachel~

GoldenRetrLuver
07-15-2003, 08:14 PM
I'll say this again: If monkeys made "great pets" then sanctuaries wouldn't be full of ex-pets.

~Rachel~

There are many dogs and cats in sancuaries as well. Does that mean dogs and cats dont make good pets?

allanimalswelcome
07-15-2003, 08:18 PM
Most of the ex-pet monkeys that are in sanctuaries are there because they matured and started acting agreesive.

~Rachel

RubyMutt
07-15-2003, 08:19 PM

YOU never hesitate to have your opinion heard. Why is it that you complain when others do the same?? :rolleyes:

CamCamPup33
07-15-2003, 08:20 PM
i agree with pcb and wolfsoul.. If they wanna have one leave them be.. its there decision..

micki76
07-15-2003, 08:21 PM

~Rachel~

Well then, using your reasoning, if dogs made "great pets" the shelters wouldn't be so full of ex-pets! Sheesh! Think before you type!

I do understand your concern though.

I've known a couple of people who owned Monkeys and one person had a problem with hers. She did become aggressive. Fortunately she was re-homed to a sanctuary and was allowed to be with other monkeys. Apparently she needed that interaction. One person I knew owned 2 monkeys and so they had that interaction and were very happy kiddos. :)

allanimalswelcome
07-15-2003, 08:25 PM
I ddin't put what I meant in the rest of that post!

wolfsoul claimed that agreesiveness was "only a general thing" and I was stating that many monkeys wind up in sanctuaries because they reach maturity and attack their owners.

~Rachel

allanimalswelcome
07-15-2003, 08:30 PM
Anyway I did meet the monkey.

It was a brief visit.

I wasn't sure what to make of him. I was firm in my belife that he shouldn't be with her.

She raved about the good price she got. Apparently they were having troble selling Sammy. Nice huh?
:rolleyes:

~Rachel

luckies4me
07-15-2003, 08:35 PM

~Rachel~

No one here said they make great pets, at least not that I can recall anyway....

allanimalswelcome
07-15-2003, 08:36 PM
Look on page 2

luckies4me
07-15-2003, 08:40 PM
Well personally I am terrified of Macaques as they have HUGE teeth and can be very scary. I like the smaller Capuchins and lemurs better. :D But I personally wouldn't own one, although I do have several other exotic animals as pets.

allanimalswelcome
07-15-2003, 08:50 PM
I support sanctuaries 100% but it must be hard for the monkey to be sent to one. I mean they have adapted to this family and while a sanctuary setting is ideal it must be hard on them.

~Rachel

wolfsoul
07-15-2003, 11:27 PM

wolfsoul claimed that agreesiveness was "only a general thing"

Um, what? No I didn't. I said quite the contrary.

kingrattus
07-15-2003, 11:35 PM
I have several aggressive wild animals, & I love & care for them all.

Tiger Oscars r aggressive & yet I can pet mine.

Red Devils r horribly aggressive from day one, & get worse as they get larger. But Mine will not bit nor harm me if I stick my hand in to fix the filter or rocks.

Well hell, everyone knows that a common snapping turtle can bite an arm off (when fully grown of course). If mine bit I'm sure I would have no fingers or toes left (he can bite right through a frozen rat & bite a frozen mouse in half). & everyone here knows that I give my common snapping turtle kisses & butterfly kisses (nose touching). I hand feed him, pet him, walk him & play with him. He even gets along great with dogs!!!

Axle & Cadeau (dog)
http://jess.iahu.ca/albums/album09/IMG_0107.jpg

Hugging Axle
http://jess.iahu.ca/albums/album09/axle_034.jpg

Not a damn thing wrong with agressive animals. I love mine to death & Even if Axle went agressive, I'd still keep him & love him the same.

monkeyluver
07-16-2003, 09:39 AM
Monkeys DO get aggressive. I have two capuchins now and one that passed on.

Don't get me wrong I adore the two of them but if you are a sucker to pain I wouldn't suggest a monkey. Aaron (2) has bitten, scratched, and yanked my hair out. Aliyah (6) is fully matured now and I'm sure sometimes she would love to rip me too shreds.

Monkeys get aggressive because it's what they do in the wild to gain "rank" and will test you. Not a damn thing people can do about changing that. I've seen some of the weirdest things people have done to their monkeys trying to make them stay the sweet little babies.

Sadly TV makes people believe that monkeys are sweet natured and devoted.
Shows like Friends were the worst. First off that monkey was a baby and trained for the show. After that show came out people were buying those monkeys left and right.

I'm sure some of you have seen a Pet Story featuring Mugwhy the capuchin right? Again Mugwhy was still a young monkey. For another the woman who owned her is well known in the pet primate community...as a theif, an animal abuser, and doing unlicensed surgery on primates.

A lot of people ask me if this makes me a non-supporter of the primate trade. Well I guess. There are things I don't like about it now that I didn't care about when I first got Abby such as pulling the babies off their mothers when they are days old.

If you do think monkeys still make great pets I suggest you check out these websites.
http://www.monkey-island.net/wantmonkey.html
http://www.oregonprimaterescue.com/pets.html
http://www.junglefriends.org/why.shtml
http://www.junglefriends.org/booklet/bkpage11.shtml
http://www.junglefriends.org/surrogate.shtml

allanimalswelcome
07-16-2003, 11:57 AM
I saw that episode of a Pet Story and I really thought maybe that having monkeys wasn't so bad but I guess I was wrong.

~Rachel

allanimalswelcome
07-16-2003, 05:26 PM
Does anyone know when macaques reach maturity?