PDA

View Full Version : What makes a cat happy ?

kath00
07-13-2003, 04:48 PM
Myy Ragdoll kitty is born(I'm getting him in six weeks, yaaaa :D) !!!!

What can I do to be a good cat owner ? What makes a cat happy?

Thanx ;)

hootchlid
07-13-2003, 05:31 PM
true love from their daddy and mommy is what will make them happy and they will make you happy in return..i promise

dave

NoahsMommy
07-13-2003, 06:56 PM
I hate to sound like a "crazy cat lady", but if your new kitty will be home alone, another kitty (especially kitten) would be so great for the happiness of your cat.

Aside from that...

*Lots of gentle love and attention (constantly)

*Good food, so she's healthy and pain free

*Lots of stimulating toys (ours LOVE those small, fake mice, feather sticks, laser pointers, etc.)

*Fresh water, changed every day (Our cats drink much more with their kitty fountain...it seems to entertain them as well)

*A few places to hide (like cat beds that are covered, under a bed, etc)

*A place to scratch....cat tree, cardboard scratchers, etc.

*Clean litterbox :)

*Lots of playtime with you

*A place where she feels safe...away from loud noises, dogs, children.

*Lots of love

*Lots of love

*Lots of love AND understanding. (Cats need to be trained and respected)

Hope that helps. If you ever have any questions once you get your sweetie, this is a GREAT place to come. :)

Congrats on your new little one. Do you have a name picked out yet?

kath00
07-14-2003, 09:03 AM
NoahsMommy,

Thank you for your answer. I've printed it :)

I am nervous because this is my first cat. I'll probably come here very often to discuss about my kitty :)

I have not chose a name yet. When I get pictures of my kitty I'll post them here and you will be able to give me ideas.

Have a nice day :cool:

catmandu
07-14-2003, 09:48 AM
Love and Attention! Interactive Cat Toys! A nice bed to sleep on! Not shouting! Peace and Quiet! And Yunmmy Cat Food with an occasinal treat, as the sign said in front of kittens awaitng adoption: Do it yourselt Cat Kit : Just add food and LOVE!

PayItForward
07-15-2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by catmandu
.......as the sign said in front of kittens awaitng adoption: Do it yourselt Cat Kit : Just add food and LOVE!
So sweet and so true. :)

Just love him and he'll have you wrapped around your finger in no time. :D

PS. It might be an idea to get another Ragdoll or moggie kitten to keep the first one company ;)

catland
07-15-2003, 05:00 PM
If you can talk to his current owners, ask them to pick him up and hold him each and every day. I did that with the litter that we had and they all became very friendly, loving kitties. (I always washed my hands before I did this)

This teaches him right away that humans can be trusted and he will love you forever.

:)

In_love_with_cats
08-01-2003, 10:27 PM
Lots of love from mommy and daddy, plently of food, water, catnip and treat and I nice warm bed to sleep in.

sasha the cat
08-01-2003, 10:45 PM
The answer is: love, love, and respect, caring, good food, play time, and kitten's very own space ['cause sometimes we just need our own space!]

mew, meow, the answer: love -- attention -- protection -- respect.

Don't let your kitty go outside. Indoor cats live safer & longer. Have your kitty neutered or spayed. Do not declaw (claws are a defense tool). Innoculate your kitten against cat illnesses, have the kitten dewormed, and checked regularly by a vet. Mew, did I mention LOVE?

My KatMa says you are SOOOOO lucky! A new baby... so, so lucky. Post pictures so we can all meet your BABY KITTEN.

smokey the elder
08-02-2003, 08:21 AM
What everyone said. May I suggest that you wait until he's 9 weeks old? Even though they are weaned at 6, they're awfully tiny and fragile, and may get sick from "transplant shock" (going into a different home, different germs, etc.)

Good luck and welcome!

Kirsten
08-02-2003, 08:28 AM
Yes, what everyone has said! :)

And I agree with what smokey the elder has said: 6 weeks are way too young for a kitten to be taken away from her mom and littermates. They're not done with learning all their social skills at that point and still need their mommy's care. It's better to wait 9 - 12 weeks, even though it's hard to wait! I know of what I'm speaking, I'm going through the same neverending waiting-process at the moment! :)

Kirsten

Cataholic
08-02-2003, 08:54 AM
I want to echo Smokey and Kirstin....6 weeks really is too young. Momma cats teach manners, give extra nutrients, etc., to kitties. I think you should suggest, encourage, offer to pay room and board, whatever, to keep this kitty with momma as long as you can. It does make a difference.

As to the what makes a cat happy? The same thing that makes a human baby happy. Love, security, respect, discipline, etc. I really encourage you make a safe place for the kitty. Too often, we are so in love with them we forget they need 'down' time, time where they can relax, and de stress.

Good luck!

bluekat
08-02-2003, 10:16 AM
I could tell that you're going to be a very good mom to your new kitten:)
What makes a cat happy......lots of love and attention. Toys, kittens LOVE toys. Blueberry's favourites are little balls, and those toys on a string.
Oh yeah, and treats! But don't give your new kitten treats right away, you should wait until she's older.
Good Luck!

Randy_K
08-02-2003, 02:19 PM
At 12 weeks a kitten is ready to conquer new territory even though he will miss his mom and litter mates.

Pick a simple name. Don't get carried away with it. A single-sylabel name is the easiest for your cat to quickly learn. And you can never give your cat too much attention but the more given at a young age sets the stage for a well-adjusted, confident affectionate adult.

Deal with whatever annoys you about your cat's behavior with gentleness. Up on the counter where he's not supposed to be? Guide (don't push!) him off. You'll have to repeat this a number of times but he'll learn.

My cat likes to crash his face into mine but learned I need to take my glasses off first (minimize nose prints...) so he nudges my cheek and waits for me to get ready. Then... purring and rubbing.

The worst part about having a pet is that they never live as long as we want them to.

Cataholic
08-02-2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Randy_K

My cat likes to crash his face into mine but learned I need to take my glasses off first (minimize nose prints...) so he nudges my cheek and waits for me to get ready. Then... purring and rubbing.

That made me smile! Does he wait until you move the full cup of coffee out of the way, too?:D

Randy_K
08-02-2003, 04:54 PM
He's really good about coffee and tea. He leaves them alone, however, a partly full glass will get pulled over so he can see what's in it if it's too far down to get his nose close.

Carlotta
08-02-2003, 09:16 PM
6wks is to young. 7wks is a good age. I gave my cats kittens away at 7wks because they were only nursing for the fun of it. 12wks is way to old so don't wait to late. I once had a cat I got at 9wks and she was the best ever. Let your cat go outside. That's what they like. Make sure you spay or neuter at 8mo. That's the healthiest age and it's the most effective. Don't declaw either. They won't scratch the furniture if the can go outside and scratch trees and earth. Collars are nice. Don't use the release type because they loose them non-stop. I'd put an ID tag and rabies tag on too. Some people like the type w/elastic in them. Make sure to give your kitty lots of love and attention. Some cats appreciate a cat door. You don't have to deal w/a litter box if you use that! Hope that helps>^.^<

tuxluvr
08-02-2003, 09:36 PM
Remember: never hit or slap a cat, even if they have done something bad. Cat's do not respond to this kind of action, in fact it usually makes them more aggressive. A squirt bottle or loud NO will usually do the trick. We trained Ritzy to respond to her name and while she occasionally does her "cat thing", we have had good success with the loud NO RITZY.

Some things cats will just always be prone to do. You will find that most here are against declawing, because it is really an inhumane way of treating something that is a natural part of kitty-hood....

Kitties are just wonderful companions! They are bright and interactive, some are "lovey lap cats" and others are more discriminating about their show of affection, but it doesn't mean they aren't still wonderful cats.

From what I've read about Ragdolls, they are B E A U T I F U L cats, and also typically very sweet-natured (and they get REALLY BIG!).

Diet, stimulation (play!!!), and regular vet care is important, otherwise, add love and watch-em grow!

Good luck with your new kitty, we are all picture addicts here, so bring on your new kitty pics!

tuxluvr
08-02-2003, 09:40 PM
Oh, and be careful about yarn and string - Ritzy has had a few close calls eating them! They are fun play, but supervised. Also, the toy fake mousies are great, but some cats like to eat the tails off....generally not a bad thing, but in a kitten it could cause obstruction....supervise play and take the mousie away when you aren't there to watch.

Kitties like little ping pong balls and wiffle golf balls too..things that roll and make noise (sometimes a crumpled piece of paper will do the trick!)

Randy_K
08-02-2003, 11:30 PM
Hmmm... seven weeks is just too early, in my opinion. There's a lot more going on in a kitten's life at that age than just nursing. They are learning social skills and survival skills from their mother and siblings. In a few more weeks - like 10 to 12 - they are much more confident and emotionally healthy, a small investment that pays off big through their life.

Randy_K
08-02-2003, 11:33 PM
Add rubber bands to the non-toy list. Those get eaten.

Sniffzerheds
08-05-2003, 12:10 PM
I agree w/Carlotta. Cats need to be outside and that's what makes them happy. Their life may be shorter but it sure will be happier. Ok, ya'll don't get mad at me, I'm just expressin' my opinion.
I'd hate to be kept inside my whole life. You may think "I spend most of my time inside" but you have the computer, televison, books, etc. You may think that toys keep them well occupied but as we all know(or at least I think we do)cats are highly intelligent. Do you think that they're so stupid that a catnip mouse or ball is continuously exciting?
Cat gyms are nice but do they offer a lifetime of pure happiness? They wouldn't for me. If we love our cats as children(I do mine)then you should give them what they really want most and give them freedom. Cat doors are what I would highly recommend. That way you know you're giving your cat whatever they want. They can come in and out as they please and I suggest keeping their food and water inside to keep them in more and keep strays and birds out of it.
You really need a collar for sure! Shelters pick up people pets because they were no id. They maybe fixed or even declawed but they steal them anyway. There should be elastic in the band so that they don't strangle. Get a rabies tag and id. It's cheap enough to do it but since it's your baby we're talking about...I think I'd be willing to pay an arm and a leg.
Cats that go outside eat less since they aren't bored so you will spend less on food bills:) They are less likely to enter obesity if allowed outside to excersise.
Most importantly, make sure your pet is spayed or neutered. They are less likely to I agree w/Carlotta. Cats need to be outside and that's what makes them happy. Their life may be shorter but it sure will be happier. Ok, ya'll don't get mad at me, I'm just expressin' my opinion.
I'd hate to be kept inside my whole life. You may think "I spend most of my time inside" but you have the computer, televison, books, etc. You may think that toys keep them well occupied but as we all know(or at least I think we do)cats are highly intelligent. Do you think that they're so stupid that a catnip mouse or ball is continuously exciting?
Cat gyms are nice but do they offer a lifetime of pure happiness? They wouldn't for me. If we love our cats as children(I do mine)then you should give them what they really want most and give them freedom. Cat doors are what I would highly recommend. That way you know you're giving your cat whatever they want. They can come in and out as they please and I suggest keeping their food and water inside to keep them in more and keep strays and birds out of it.
You really need a collar for sure! Shelters pick up people pets because they were no id. They maybe fixed or even declawed but they steal them anyway. There should be elastic in the band so that they don't strangle. Get a rabies tag and id. It's cheap enough to do it but since it's your baby we're talking about...I think I'd be willing to pay an arm and a leg.
Cats that go outside eat less since they aren't bored so you will spend less on food bills:) They are less likely to enter obesity if allowed outside to excersise.
Most importantly, make sure your pet is spayed or neutered. They are less likely to roam and you help prevent unwanted litters. Males basically become a different animal when neutered. They are the most friendly loving animals on the earth whereas the tomcats they can become are not. Neutered cats are more likely to stay around you house and therefore less likely to be picked up by the pound.
Don't worry about hunting. If hunting were evil and terrible as most people say it is then they wouldn't do it. Cats keep the rodent population down and rats can carry horrible diseases if the population becomes to large. You should have kitty vaccinated for everything the vet will give you to prevent FIV, feline distemper, and other things that will make your cat unhappy or...just gross.
Also use a flea and tick repellent. You sure don't want to bring in the that kind of trash!
Hope this helps!>^.^<

PayItForward
08-05-2003, 12:52 PM
Usually I would say let a cat out, if it is relatively safe but in this case I have changed my mind. You can't let a Ragdoll cat outside.

Ragdolls are too friendly, they can wander away and get lost or befriend the first person they see and end up with a new home.

Sadly, they don't have any road sense and are more likely to have problems with RTA and end up being injured by other wildlife.

I would keep your kitten inside but with a second kitten for company (moggie or Ragdoll kitten) :D

All the best... I can't wait to see your new kitten.

Randy_K
08-05-2003, 01:11 PM
I cannot agree with allowing a cat outside. That's sort of a 1950s mentality that is seriously outdated. Cats who never go outside don't know what they are missing so it's not an issue for them. I let mine onto the balcony (it's caged in) and they get the stimulation of watching the birds and people, sitting in the sun, etc. but are both safe from predators, ferral cats with diseases (like FIV, FIP and other deadly diseases that didn't exist in the '50s), cars, trucks, ticks and fleas. Their life is really better and they live a longer and healthier life. Yes, they look to you for more stimulation but why do you have a pet if you'd rather ignore it?

catland
08-05-2003, 01:15 PM
any news on how soon you get your kitty?

Every kitty is different. Once you get to know their personality, accept them for who they are and not what you want them to be.

If you want a quiet kitty - you could end up with a talkative one.

If you want a talkative kitty - yours might be quiet.

If you want a lap cat - you could end up with one that only wants to be petted by facing away from you.

They will be who they are - love them for that and you are halfway there