PDA

View Full Version : Update on Camp VT "musical cat doors"!

sasvermont
07-13-2003, 08:10 AM
Well, Miley finally made it out of the bedroom closet. She hasn't been back there since. I think, she too, was a bit tired of hiding out. She now has full run of the house, just not at the same time Ti is out and about. Thus "musical cat doors" game. It seems to be working out.

For awhile, Miley was scared to venture out of the bedroom/computer room closet. It was breaking my heart. I placed her in the other part of the house about two weeks ago and forced her to be social with me and with Juni - while Ti was in another part of the house..... It worked. She is much, much happier and actually plays now!

Ti is ok with confinement at night and sometimes in the day time. I switch the days and places around so they don't become accustomed to any one room.

My hope is that someday Ti and Miley will forgive each other for their eariler misgivings and just let each other BE!

Juni has turned into a real roughneck! She is still tiny and very kitten like, as she is 17 weeks old now! She loves both Ti and Miley, but plays for keeps with Ti. I sometimes think Ti is too rough with Juni and then I spy Juni jumping on Ti and biting him to pieces. Juni is not as rough with Miley, as we all know, Miley is not such a good sport about playing roughly. Even when Graemer was playing with her, she would scream when he was too rough.

So, on a scale of one to ten, cat situation wise, I would say we are at a 7, and looking for minor improvements each month. It isn't going to be easy, but I do believe it will work eventually.

I think the screendoor to the living room has helped a bit. It allows cross ventilation for the house and it also allows the cats to see each other but not tangle.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid68/pfa60400271fa5f165f99d4fe4413b6ed/fbbfe210.jpg
As I mentioned earlier, I don't think Martha Stewart would approve.

Logan
07-13-2003, 08:30 AM
Who cares, Sallyanne?? It certainly doesn't look bad and if it works, it really doesn't matter!!! Such good news this morning!!! :)

Barbara
07-13-2003, 08:30 AM
Sallyanne you sound much more relaxed than in the last series of posts!
So I am sure that the cats and you influence each other vice versa. Especially Miley is a little seismograph, I'm sure.

It makes me so happy to hear that she's playing again. Filou also has this tendency to retire -e.g. when we have guests he spends all the time in my bedroom and is happy when they go:(

Your method of allowing them the house at different times seems to work. Miley is gaining some self-confidence again.

Regarding Ti and Juni playing rough: Juni is a tough little cookie and she can be quite a pain in the neck for her brother -but these two love each other.

Thanks for the update: it makes my day:)

lailamara
07-13-2003, 09:36 AM
What wonderful news ! Your persistence and perseverance are paying off. Juni is quite the feisty and fearless one. You could give her the middle name of Juni Braveheart. Sensitive Miley girl is coming out of her shell ,yeah ! Ti the big galout is just a big softy (for kittens). And Sallyanne can cut back from goblets of wine to small wine glasses. By the way, you can't tell there is a screen door between the rooms. Does anyone You included walk or run into them ??

Pam
07-13-2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Barbara
Sallyanne you sound much more relaxed than in the last series of posts!

Maybe she is "under the influence" of the Feliway which is supposed to be working on the cats! :p :p

Yes, this is certainly good news. I commend you for working so hard to create harmony! The only thing wrong with the picture that you posted is that it lacks kitties! We need M O R E pictures! ;)

Vermontcat
07-13-2003, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the update Sas!
It is good to hear that Miley is out of her hidey hole.:)
I agree with Pam that you need to post some new cat photos. Maybe I can help you with that.;)

kimlovescats
07-13-2003, 02:53 PM
Oh, I am so glad to hear that things are improving, and that YOU are feeling more at ease with the situation. Hey, I think the screen door is kind of a neat decorating trend!! SERIOUSLY!!!! I'm always looking for cool ways to decorate, I might just use that sometime!! hehe .... I am in the process of re-decorating my kitchen in French Country, and was planning on putting "outdoor" shutters around my kitchen window .... so what's wrong with a screen door? Very cool I think!!!! :D

NoahsMommy
07-13-2003, 06:59 PM
That's great news SAS!!! Those kitties are so lucky to have you...your patience alone is such a wonderful contribution to them.

jenluckenbach
07-13-2003, 07:21 PM
I am glad that Miley is not hiding out in the closet. I would also love to know how one would set up a screen door like that. I could use something like that at times when I want to keep the cats somewhere without closing off the ventilation.

lizbud
07-13-2003, 07:42 PM
Sas,

I'm so very glad to hear that things are progressing nicely
at Camp Vermont.:) Just wanted to ask exactly how you
constructed the screendoor? Seems I'm not the only one who
thinks it's a great idea. Honestly, I could find a use for it myself.
Could you explain what you used to construct it? It kind of looks
like it's in a frame, but I can't tell. It looks great & seems to be
a very good idea that helps everyone at your house.:D

sasvermont
07-13-2003, 07:57 PM
Well, thanks for the comments about the door. The big draw back is that it is there permanently, unless I find a way to create a frame.

I didn't want to spend lots of dough and thought I would have to keep it up for only a few months! I didn't want to put thousand of holes in my woodwork either. I went to "the wood pile" in the garage and found two old pieces of door trim and nailed it on my exisiting door frame, making only two holes on each side. Then I used a staple gun and went crazy up and down the sides of the screening. The top is not really fastened with anything as I didn't leave any space and the cats don't climb up that high, yet! I did nail some spare trim at the bottom, to the floor!!! :rolleyes: So I will have a few holes to patch there too. The screening is made for pets and seems very bouncy and not fragile at all. I was hoping to re-use the screening at a later date, so I didn't cut the screening at all, just stapled it!

What I wish I had, and I might do if this cat situation doesn't change, is create a frame to hook on to the door frame, but that would require some measuring, cutting of wood etc.

I would rather have cats that got along, and no need for the darn door!

:eek:

lizbud
07-13-2003, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by sasvermont

What I wish I had, and I might do if this cat situation doesn't change, is create a frame to hook on to the door frame, but that would require some measuring, cutting of wood etc.

I would rather have cats that got along, and no need for the darn door!

:eek:

Sas,

I hear you on that. :D I have a peaceful house with four male
cats that all get along great. That was not always the case during
the intro (get acquainted period) of the last two into the group.
Ah, but you can't put a price on Peace & Quiet. Continued good
luck with Ti & Miley.:) Thanks for the info on the screening as I
do think it's a very good idea & very helpful to know. Liz.

krazyaboutkatz
07-14-2003, 12:25 AM
Sallyanne, I'm so glad to hear that your latest update is a much more positive one. :D I'm sure that in time that Miley and Ti will learn to at least tolerate each other. I also agree that we need to see some more pics of your furkids. :)

catmandu
07-14-2003, 09:57 AM
Things were peaceful until nugget moved in. for some reason Moose the Magnificent just does not like him! So he stays in te basement until things calm down! Good luck with your Clowder!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
07-14-2003, 02:39 PM
I'm so glad to hear things are starting to work out a little, and I'm most glad to hear that Miley girl is happy and playing again! :D I sure hope the screen does it's trick and can be taken down in a few months. You really must be commended on your patience and perseverance. :D