PDA

View Full Version : ...Uh Oh...

Tweety_Pie
07-12-2003, 09:39 AM
Last night around 11:30 p.m. I heard my birds sqwacking(sp?) and chirping away so I went downstairs to see what they were doing and they were mating!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

I couldn't do anything to stop them, I even tried clapping my hands and whistling, but it didn't work. So I just covered the cage with the cage cover. Does this mean Tweety could lay eggs that are fertile???? :eek:

primabella
07-12-2003, 09:58 AM
lol My birds have never tried mating. They hate eachother I guess :rolleyes: I'm guessing thst she could. Do you have a nesting box or things that your female could build a nest with? I'm no bird expert so I'll leave someone else to help you out...sorry.

popcornbird
07-12-2003, 12:26 PM
11:30pm?!?!?!?! What were they doing even awake?!?! Tweety and Dexter?!?! MATING?!?!?! :eek::eek::eek: But Dexter's just a baby!

You need to seperate them immediately because Dexter is too young to start mating. I know for cockatiels, the minimum age to allow them to mate is 2 1/2, and though its obviously younger for keets, I believe Dexter is still way to young for this. :eek: Clapping won't work in seperating them when they do that! You have to pick one birdie up and take him away. As for eggs, it is possible, since you didn't stop them when they just started, but the most imposrtant thing to remember, is DO NOT put a nest box in their cage. It will only encourage them to mate. Also, reduce their daylight hours. Make them sleep at 8 in total darkness, so they cannot see beneath their covers, and wake them up at 8 or 9 in the morning. That worked for me. Be consistant in keeping them seperate. Their hormones will go down eventually, and though they might scream back and forth for a few days, they'll stop eventually. You have an extra cage right? Just don't let them mate even if you want babies, because Dexter's too young. His cere is barely even blue yet! How old is Tweety? Don't forget putting cuttlebone in their cage, because they REALLY need calcium at this time! :eek:

wolfsoul
07-12-2003, 01:40 PM
EEP! :eek:

How old is Dexter? A budgie matures at about 6-8 months, and it may be then that they'll want to mate.

Jessica12345
07-12-2003, 04:16 PM
:eek:

Many budgies will mature and MAY start laying eggs as early as 6 months of age, HOWEVER, it is extremely important NOT to allow a hen to start breeding at this early an age! PCB pretty much covered everything, about seperating them and reducing their daylight hours. birds have to sleep 12 hours a day to stay healthy! I guess tweety COULD lay eggs that are fertile if they've mated! :eek:

Tweety_Pie
07-13-2003, 02:40 PM
I wish I would have known and I would have seperated them. I don't think Tweety will lay eggs. I have a fealing she won't. I won't put a nesting box in. They have 2 cuttlebones in their cage and also a vitamin suppliment(sp?). I seperated them and I will put Dexter back in tomorrow. Hopfully every thing will be alright.

P.S. Im glad I have you guys on pet talk! Your so helpful:D