PDA

View Full Version : 111 - 115

K & L
07-11-2003, 03:57 PM
The park cats are sweltering in this heat! We go to feed and we barely see 3 - 4 cats right now. I wish there was some way to cool them off, but the heat is too much for anything to last (like ice etc.).:cool:

slick
07-11-2003, 04:05 PM
God I'd be dead in that heat. Anything over 70 and I'm rendered useless. Poor little kitties, I guess their only refuge is under the trees and in the bushes. I have heard that their fur acts like an insulation against the heat and the cold. I just hope it's true and they're doing OK. What great work you do!!!

catland
07-11-2003, 04:06 PM
Wow - that's hot! Do they have shade? I think this would be the most important thing to provide if they don't have any.

K & L
07-11-2003, 04:08 PM
They do have shelter to hide under, but it's so hot I don't know how that even helps.:( We're putting extra water out. They're all losing weight and have lost a lot of their fur.

RedHedd
07-11-2003, 04:28 PM
Aww. Poor hot kitties. I gently spritz mine with water when it gets too hot. Of course in San Francisco, anything over 80 is considered hot :rolleyes: but they think it's miserable. They keep looking at me like "Mom! Do something!"

IttyBittyKitty
07-12-2003, 02:31 AM
The best thing you can do, is continue to make sure they have plenty of drinking water! Unless you can capture them and shave them :D

I'm worried about the upcoming summer ... summers in Brisbane are scorchingly hot and humid. I spose its not too bad where I live, out in the bay area, but I will have to leave windows open but that risks burglars getting in and kitties falling out of windows!

Ally Cat's Mommy
07-12-2003, 02:44 AM
The strays in my garden are taking strain too! Its over 100 here now, and 100% humidity! I turn the sprinklers on in the garden for a few minutes at a time, and afterwards they all love to lie on the damp ground - I suppose it cools them down a bit.

Ally is living it up in air-conditioned luxury inside the house:)

Patches, one of my TNR cats, does not leave my porch at all, except for the loo! She lies along my door, where a bit of cold air blows out from the air cons inside - she doesn't even more when we open the door - so we have to climb over her!

Their drinking water evapourates so quickly! I have put plastic containers around the house under the air cons, and the water drips in there, so they always have some water, but it is so hot:(

Poor babies, I wish I could just take them all inside!