PDA

View Full Version : what a wienie!!!!!!

RICHARD
07-11-2003, 01:26 PM
All 'Italian sausage' really wants is infamous bat

Associated Press

MILWAUKEE -- The young woman inside the Italian sausage costume says she'll accept an apology from Pittsburgh first baseman Randall Simon, but all she really wants is the bat he swatted her with as she ran past the Pirates' dugout.

With one swing Wednesday night, Simon sent 19-year-old Mandy Block tumbling to the ground in the heavy costume. A fellow racer dressed as a hot dog also fell.

Simon, cited for disorderly conduct and fined $432, issued a public apology before leaving town after the Pirates' 5-4 victory over the Brewers on Thursday. Block said a team representative told her Simon would call her Friday to apologize.

"One of the public relations ladies called me and she talked to me and she was really nice and offered a lot and said, 'Anytime you're in Pittsburgh ... the best seat in the house is yours,''' Block said at her South Milwaukee home Thursday night.

"But all I wanted was the bat.''

She and the other racer, Veronica Piech, had the day off Thursday from their jobs with the Brewers, but they planned to return Friday. Block said she was told that bats autographed by Simon would be waiting at Miller Park, and hers would be the same bat Simon swung at her Wednesday night.

The sausage race, a fan favorite since 1995, features team employees dressed as an oversized bratwurst, hot dog, Italian sausage and Polish sausage.

Simon said he was just playing around.

"I thought at the moment they were trying to play with us. They were running right next to the players,'' he said. "I'm a fun player, and I've never hurt anyone in my life.''

Simon appeared in the district attorney's office Thursday. Deputy District Attorney Jon Reddin said after reviewing the tape and interviewing the women he would not file criminal charges.

"It's such a silly little thing, you know,'' Block said. "I can see both point of views. ... From my point of view, it's crazy because I am not used to like being interviewed or anything. I'm like, 'I'm just a sausage, guys. It's not a big deal. I'm fine.'''

Block, who has worked for two summers as a member of the Brewers' on-field promotional team, said it's normal for opposing teams to throw peanuts or squeeze water bottles at them.

"I saw the bat before I got to him. I thought he was just going to fake me out,'' said Block, who stands 5-foot-3. "I am real little and I didn't take the blow very well.''

Block said the blow didn't hurt because it hit the head section of the costume, which is above her head.

The Pirates apologized and said the team does not condone Simon's behavior and will address the issue internally.

-----
As much as I think the dope that hit this gal should be suspended and fined.........

I love the thought that this gal just wanted a signed bat.....not a lawsuit, huge amounts of money, or this guy's head on a platter.....
Nice to know that there are some people that
don't have to sue to put an end to an unfortunate incident.

Aspen and Misty
07-11-2003, 01:43 PM
LOL, where do you find this stuff???

Ash

primabella
07-11-2003, 01:44 PM
I heard this on the news :D:D

slick
07-11-2003, 01:53 PM
:D :D :D Oh brother, what next?? Personally I would have just smacked him on his buns......hee hee....as long as it had mustard on it........

RICHARD
07-11-2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Aspen and Misty
LOL, where do you find this stuff???

Ash

near the bacon in the meat section????

lol

Cataholic
07-11-2003, 02:33 PM
Whatever would compel an adult to hit another person with a BAT? About the HEAD?

As to suing someone over it...I would, IF I was injured...why should his right to be an idiot trump my right to remain injury free?

RICHARD
07-11-2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
Whatever would compel an adult to hit another person with a BAT? About the HEAD?

As to suing someone over it...I would, IF I was injured...why should his right to be an idiot trump my right to remain injury free?

read the story...she wasn't hit in the head...
look at a sausage and i dare you to find which end is the head.

idiot trump......no, you mean IVANA...

lol, i doubt a lawyer would put on a weinie costume..... a suit would do nicely.

don't bother, it's a JOKE!!!!
:rolleyes:

lbaker
07-11-2003, 02:47 PM
smacked him on his buns :D :D :D

Q: where do you get this stuff?

A: near the bacon in the meat section

OMG I think we're a still a bit buzzed from yesterday's happy hour:o

Laurie

Logan
07-11-2003, 03:32 PM
I watched the news reports, over and over, on CNN last night, while I was sitting in the airport. I thought it was hilarious! How sick am I?? Of course, I had called one of my Pet Talk buddies, who told me about it..........I love the fact that the girl has taken it all in fun, and she will get her bat!!

Logan, who is still laughing at those sausages running around!!! :D

RICHARD
07-11-2003, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Logan
I watched the news reports, over and over, on CNN last night, while I was sitting in the airport. I thought it was hilarious! How sick am I?? Of course, I had called one of my Pet Talk buddies, who told me about it..........I love the fact that the girl has taken it all in fun, and she will get her bat!!

Logan, who is still laughing at those sausages running around!!! :D

ah,
we revel in such simple pleasures, eh?

had it been a GOOBER RACE would you have laughed harder had the player taken a bat to the nuts?

Prairie Purrs
07-11-2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
lol, i doubt a lawyer would put on a weinie costume..... a suit would do nicely.
But I've known some lawyers who were real wienies . . . and I've known some I'd like to kick in the buns! ;)

Aspen and Misty
07-11-2003, 04:36 PM
near the bacon in the meat section????

lol

LOL :rolleyes:

LoudLou
07-11-2003, 04:53 PM
... had it been a GOOBER RACE would you have laughed harder had the player taken a bat to the nuts?

Oh,:rolleyes: RICHARD !:eek: ... OUCH! *Snicker*Snicker* Giggle...We're Evil!;)

RICHARD
07-11-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by LoudLou

remember,
i didn't MAKE you join the evil empire!!!!

lol....

;)

slick
07-11-2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by LoudLou

Add a couple of *Snorts* in there and we'd have our very own Lily Tomlin.....

KYS
07-11-2003, 06:20 PM
I saw the tape about 3 times last night.
Seems the cable news had a field day with
that story.
Poor girl looked like her knees were banged up.
I not only think he should have been fined,
but I think their should be a charity event
where he dresses up as the sausage, runs around,
and the maskots get to take wacks. :)

RICHARD
07-11-2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by KYS

but I think their should be a charity event
where he dresses up as the sausage, runs around,
and the maskots get to take wacks. :)

hows about dressing him (and his team mate who stuck up for him) as GOOBERS and let the gal take a whack at the nuts??

lolololololololololol

(i'm gonna work that joke until it doesn't work anymore:eek:)

mugsy
07-11-2003, 08:10 PM
Well, having been to a Brewers' .0000000000000000000000000000 (Baby wanted to type) game and that race happens every game. It's one of the baseball things. Now, do I think this has been blown WAY out of proportion? YES! I watched that thing about 10 times last night on ESPN. They interviewed the girl that was dressed as the sausage, and she thinks this whole thing is stupid. She said she felt sorry for the player and pretty much wished it would go away. She WAS pretty impressed that she got to be on national television. I guess if it doesn't bother her, why should the entire nation have to make a judgement on it? Just a thought! lol

Cataholic
07-11-2003, 08:38 PM
read the story...she wasn't hit in the head...
look at a sausage and i dare you to find which end is the head.

idiot trump......no, you mean IVANA...

don't bother, it's a JOKE!!!!

Richard, read my post, I said ABOUT the head....and, according to the story you posted, it says the HEAD of the costume...which was above her head.....I suppose this guy just knew where he was aiming, right? I still find it ridiculous that an adult would hit another adult with a bat, in/near/by/about/on the head. Seems grossly irresponsible (read negligent) to me.

iceyshiver21
07-11-2003, 09:26 PM
Maybe he was a Vegetarian......

mugsy
07-11-2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by iceyshiver21

OMG, I laughed outloud when I read that one!!

babolaypo65
07-11-2003, 10:02 PM
I just LOVE that CNN is calling this "sausage gate"

IttyBittyKitty
07-12-2003, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by mugsy
OMG, I laughed outloud when I read that one!!

LOL me too and I AM a vegitarian! Don't think a stick of tofu would have quite the same cachet...

lovemyshiba
07-12-2003, 03:09 PM

hahahahaha!!!!!!

good one!!!!
I laughed out loud too.

I'm glad no one was hurt, because I found the whole thing hilarious!!

Airedalekisses
07-12-2003, 03:48 PM
What would possess anyone to dress as a tube of heaven knows what meat? She did get what she wanted...PUBLICITY!!:rolleyes:

mugsy
07-12-2003, 08:47 PM
Actually AK, the Brewers have this race every game. The "sausages" of which there are 3 race down the 3rd base line and people just yell for which ever "sausage" they like. It's like they are mascots like the San Diego Chicken. The girl in the suit thinks that this is all ridiculous too.

CathyBogart
07-12-2003, 11:23 PM
*chuckles* It's good to know that there are good-natured people left in the world!

RICHARD
07-13-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Cataholic
Richard, read my post, I said ABOUT the head....and, according to the story you posted, it says the HEAD of the costume...which was above her head.....I suppose this guy just knew where he was aiming, right? I still find it ridiculous that an adult would hit another adult with a bat, in/near/by/about/on the head. Seems grossly irresponsible (read negligent) to me.

i never claimed it NOT to be irresponsible (read negligent????
no, i don't read negligence, but a woman IN A NEGLIGENCE is pretty sexy........but then again a baby doll is kinda cute too....)

My comment was about her NOT seeking the assistance of any legal counsel to settle the dispute.

I am sure you have never done something dumb, you know, one of those kinda-spur-of the-moment-things that blow up in your face- the kind that make you say, "oh-oh, why did i do that???"

lol,
the costume was about 8 feet tall.....and with the exception of Yao Ming, i seriously doubt anyone could fill that wieners shoe's.
and for the record, the guy was a right handed batter-the swing he took was left handed....

the guy WAS a putz and he was fined and suspended....

the gal showed a little sensibility by not claiming-workperson's comp, she was assaulted, brain damage, spinal cord damage,
loss of conciousness, whiplash, carpal tunnel, unsafe work enviroment......out there some poor lawyer is starving-for the 15 minutes and the beau coup dollars signs. I can imagine all the
legal eagles that literally jumped off their couches as their brains
went into overdrive trying to figure out the 'angle' (read max payout from the Pirates, Brewers, the player, MLB) that would
make this case worth their while.

And as a side thought....
some homeless people were rousted from downtown Los Angeles
area by the LAPD, they hired legal counsel and they won something like 165K in a settlement. The 'counselors' TOOK
96K and left the rest for the homeless.

yep, it was stupid. irresponsible and everything else you said it was.......but, I still believe that she should be held up as an example as to not every stupid act has to have a 'court showdown'.

i was once hit while on my bike by a woman making a right hand turn in front of me. i lived and aside from a little road rash and a crushed bike, i didn't think it was necessary to hire a lawyer.

her insurance replaced the bike and i am sure she was pleased that she didn't have to go to court or battle a legal firm...

isn't it funny that sometimes a third party just serves to muck things up?

i rest my case. lol

CattleDogMom
07-13-2003, 02:17 PM
I think somebody has been watching too much "Jackass The Movie"

It's ok. find a warm safe place and it will be OK

joycenalex
07-13-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by CattleDogMom
It's ok. find a warm safe place and it will be OK [/B] ....like a lightly steamed hot dog bun?....;)

iceyshiver21
07-13-2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by joycenalex
....like a lightly steamed hot dog bun?....;)
Is being eaten safe??

RICHARD
07-14-2003, 12:52 PM
Is being eaten safe??

better being eaten than getting dizzy on that wienie roller thing in the local 7-11..

iceyshiver21
07-14-2003, 01:00 PM
better being eaten than getting dizzy on that wienie roller thing in the local 7-11..
Point Taken.
In one way it could be a roller Coster though..

RICHARD
07-14-2003, 01:52 PM
Point Taken.
In one way it could be a roller Coster though..

with someone poking a fork at you??????

lol;)

iceyshiver21
07-14-2003, 02:14 PM
with someone poking a fork at you??????

lol;)
Don't you see?? Its one of those horror rides!!

Van10
07-16-2003, 08:26 PM
That is so hilarious! LOL! :D Poor sausage! :p

Originally posted by lbaker
:D :D :D

Q: where do you get this stuff?

A: near the bacon in the meat section

OMG I think we're a still a bit buzzed from yesterday's happy hour:o

Laurie

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D