PDA

View Full Version : baby talk

judymin61
07-11-2003, 12:15 PM
Hi everyone! I know I am going to be shot down and a lot of people will be upset at me, but here goes. Now remember, this is just an opinion! I read many of the posts and I notice a lot of baby talk or silly terms like purrsons or furbaby or furson. A little of that is cool but some people just use it all the time! You have the perfect right to say what you want of course but why all those terms? Are we not all over 5 years old here? Look please don't get angry with me I am just ranting here! If this offends anyone I apoligize! Sorry, it is just so much mush! Just a rant!:confused:

Rottieluver45
07-11-2003, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by judymin61
Hi everyone! I know I am going to be shot down and a lot of people will be upset at me

WOW!!:eek: You were right!!!

J/K Sometimes it`s just fun!

Are we not all over 5 years old here?

Of corse! We have to be, the age limit is 13! :D :p

Tina
07-11-2003, 12:50 PM
I don't think alot of people here talk in baby talk. They just refer to their pets as their furbabies. Yeah sometimes we like to have fun and use funny words but so what.

And yes everyone here is over 5 years old they have to be.

And sorry if I sound rude.

slick
07-11-2003, 01:00 PM
I'm not the least bit offended by your opinion, but at the same time, I have no intention of changing the way I write here on PT. If I were to try to please everyone here I would have nothing to say.

primabella
07-11-2003, 01:18 PM
I honestly don't know of anyone who really uses it so much that it gets me nervous. :confused: So I don't know...

RubyMutt
07-11-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Rottieluver45

Of corse! We have to be, the age limit is 13! :D :p

LOL :D Well said!

I don't have a problem w/ people referring to their pets as furkids, featherkids, etc. etc.
My pets ARE my furkids and furbabies! :D Sorry about all the "mush", but I am not ashamed to admit that I adore my pets!

sasvermont
07-11-2003, 01:27 PM
I for one, find it rather refreshing to see / hear / read about people being so in love with the furry pets that they create terms of endearment about them.

I find your comment rather odd. But hey, who am I to judge?

I love my furbabies so......my widdle itty bitty kitty and all those other silly terms I use...

Are you confusing silly with baby-talk?

Oh well. Another slow news day.:confused:

popcornbird
07-11-2003, 01:31 PM
Fur kids, Feathered kids, etc. are NOT baby talk words. They are just what we call our pets. :rolleyes: Baby talk would be: WAAAAA! I wants my mommyz! or Hes being bossing me round! LOL I just want to know why you consider calling pets furkids is baby talk????? :confused:

RICHARD
07-11-2003, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by sasvermont

Oh well. Another slow news day.:confused:

go check out the weinie thread......lol!;)

Cataholic
07-11-2003, 02:30 PM
Oh, oh....better not go check out the WHOLE thred devoted to PT words!!!

Opinions are like you-know-whats....everyone has one!

Now, where are my widdle furkids? Oh, yeah, in the big HIDEY HOLE we call home...

:D :D

catland
07-11-2003, 02:53 PM
Telling us not to use baby talk would be like telling us to reduce the size of our signatures - wait, we already did that one... It would be like telling us to improve our spelling - wait, we did that one too... it would be like telling us not to have discussions about war or politics or religion - oh yea, we do that all the time.

You'll excuse me, but there is an elevator butt that needs to be scratched and a tortellini that needs some petting.:D :p :D

lbaker
07-11-2003, 03:02 PM
and I need to go home and check out my furkids frito feet :p

slick
07-11-2003, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by catland
Telling us not to use baby talk would be like telling us to reduce the size of our signatures - wait, we already did that one... It would be like telling us to improve our spelling - wait, we did that one too... it would be like telling us not to have discussions about war or politics or religion - oh yea, we do that all the time.

You'll excuse me, but there is an elevator butt that needs to be scratched and a tortellini that needs some petting.:D :p :D

ROFLMAO AGAIN!!!! Right-on Catland. And it seems to me that there was a thread about using full sentences and the over-use of punctuation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????

Uabassoon
07-11-2003, 03:13 PM
silly terms like purrsons or furbaby or furson

I personally love the words furbaby or furkids. To me Corkscrew and Tibby are more than just a cat, they are my family. I have no real family out here in Arizona and my cats give me so much love that to me they are furry little family members. So I find the word furkid very fitting because I see them as very entertaing, loving, furry children.

binka_nugget
07-11-2003, 05:01 PM
I don't think I see enough 'baby talk' to annoy me or anything. I use it myself. I often call myself Kai's mum (well obviously..not biological lmao).

Cookiebaker
07-11-2003, 05:56 PM
What a sillly thing to get bent out of shape about!!

slick
07-11-2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Cookiebaker
What a sillly thing to get bent out of shape about!!

I agree. And I see that this person hasn't been back to respond to us....hmmmmm

primabella
07-11-2003, 07:05 PM
I honestly don't think everyone should just start getting worked up about this. judymin just stated what was on her mind, something that bothered her. Just like the sig and grammar threads.

Look please don't get angry with me I am just ranting here! If this offends anyone I apoligize!

She wasn't out to get anyone, just saying what she thought. You don't have to accuse her of what she posted. I don't mind "baby talk" at all but no need to get defensive about it. It's not like she came out and just started bashing everyone.

I don't want to start anything, I just felt a bit bad how everyone is getting worked up so easily when she really didn't see anything bad.

That's all I had to say :rolleyes:

ps - judymin: Sorry if you are male :o

RubyMutt
07-11-2003, 07:55 PM
I wasn't getting worked up, I just enjoy the so-called baby talk and was hopeing that the people on PT who use it won't stop using it because some people find it childish.

primabella
07-11-2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by RubyMutt
I wasn't getting worked up, I just enjoy the so-called baby talk and was hopeing that the people on PT who use it won't stop using it because some people find it childish.

I agree but I don't think those who seemed a bit defensive, should. :)

iceyshiver21
07-11-2003, 09:14 PM
I like it when people type the way they talk. It helps show their personality.

I woves me lil ittle tittles theys r so ute!
Thats how I would type if i knew everyone could understand, thats how I talk to my pets.

IttyBittyKitty
07-12-2003, 04:11 AM
:)

At any rate, this IS a board for people who love their pets. A natural extension of loving any other creature is "silly" pet names. We call our husbands/boyfriends silly names, and if we love our pets, they too are stuck with them!

Personally, I find these affectionate terms very endearing and a heart-warming sign that people here do love their pets. There are much worse things that people could say to/about their animals!

Rachel
07-12-2003, 08:10 AM
If this is bothersome to you, you have the option of putting any of us on your *Ignore This User* list. All you have to do is click on the profile of the person and on the bottom of that person's profile, on the right, you can click the item that says *Add _____to your Ignore List*.

wolfsoul
07-12-2003, 02:05 PM
I don't notice when people use "silly" terms. I see "furkids" an awful lot, but I've come accustomed to the word as a word to describe our adopted animal friends.

Hmm -- they have fur -- we adopted them -- that makes us our kids with fur -- hence then name, furkids. :rolleyes:

And the only time I hear "purrsons" is when our pets are "talking" on PT. :p I personally love to hear what the pets have to say, even if it is all just fun and games. We all know that it isn't REALLY our pets, but hey, imagination is healthy for the mind. And Cinder and Smokey are too cute!!! :D

judymin61
07-12-2003, 02:16 PM
Well, I figured I would be shot down, thats ok as I was just expressing an opinion. Many of you got defensive even though I apologised for any offense taken. It seems quite a sentitive subject! I was never stopping anyone from using the terms, where did you get the idea? Those terms are something I would never use, thats all. As for the term baby talk, it was the only thing I could think of at the time. I have two cats and love them very much and I am glad you all love your pets. I think there was only one or two who did not take offense.Again I was just expressing my feelings.

Airedalekisses
07-12-2003, 04:02 PM
I don't so much mind the baby talk-It's when people become their animals or write as they think the animal would write-they make grammatical errors and spelling mistakes-give the beasties more credit(intelligence) if you are going to write for them.

judymin61
07-12-2003, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Airedalekisses
I don't so much mind the baby talk-It's when people become their animals or write as they think the animal would write-they make grammatical errors and spelling mistakes-give the beasties more credit(intelligence) if you are going to write for them.

Yeah, I think it was this that made me post as I was thinking about a certain poster who writes in that style all the time! I mean I belong to a cat group and you hardly ever see posts like that. Look I have nothing against cuteness and terms of endearment but it's when it is all the time it gets to be, well, whatever...... Look, I am a nice person, really:D I was just expressing an opinion! You don't have to get so gosh darn offended! Maybe you can channel your anger to something more productive, like animal abuse, poverty, child and spouse abuse! I can think of way better causes than my little rant!:rolleyes:

GoldenRetrLuver
07-12-2003, 07:42 PM
Oh, lol. You mean spelling errors or "internet slang"? That gets on my nerves too...I mean, its okay for online but outside message boards. :)

popcornbird
07-12-2003, 08:44 PM
Yeah, I think it was this that made me post as I was thinking about a certain poster who writes in that style all the time! I mean I belong to a cat group and you hardly ever see posts like that. Look I have nothing against cuteness and terms of endearment but it's when it is all the time it gets to be, well, whatever...... Look, I am a nice person, really:D I was just expressing an opinion! You don't have to get so gosh darn offended! Maybe you can channel your anger to something more productive, like animal abuse, poverty, child and spouse abuse! I can think of way better causes than my little rant!:rolleyes:

Ohhhh so that's what you mean. I thought you just meant the words furkids or feathered kids, etc. but yes, honestly, I too find it kind of annoying when people pretend to be their pets typing and purposely misspell every word in the post. I mean, its ok to do every once in a while, but on every post? I honestly skip those posts because its much to hard to read them, and even understand them. :eek: There's another bird board that I go to every now and then, and they have a seperate forum for the *birds* to post, using all funny misspelled words. That's where people pretend they are their birds talking. That type of posting is only done on that particular forum, and not at all on the rest of the board, however, feathered kids, or *fids* is used throughout. :p

Jessica12345
07-12-2003, 09:44 PM
Hi everyone! I know I am going to be shot down and a lot of people will be upset at me, but here goes. Now remember, this is just an opinion! I read many of the posts and I notice a lot of baby talk or silly terms like purrsons or furbaby or furson. A little of that is cool but some people just use it all the time! You have the perfect right to say what you want of course but why all those terms? Are we not all over 5 years old here? Look please don't get angry with me I am just ranting here! If this offends anyone I apoligize! Sorry, it is just so much mush! Just a rant!:confused:

im not in the least bit offended! :)

maybe we're just so used to talking to our pets in baby talk we started talking to people in baby talk? ;) :p

primabella
07-13-2003, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by popcornbird
Ohhhh so that's what you mean. I thought you just meant the words furkids or feathered kids, etc. but yes, honestly, I too find it kind of annoying when people pretend to be their pets typing and purposely misspell every word in the post. I mean, its ok to do every once in a while, but on every post? I honestly skip those posts because its much to hard to read them, and even understand them. :eek: There's another bird board that I go to every now and then, and they have a seperate forum for the *birds* to post, using all funny misspelled words. That's where people pretend they are their birds talking. That type of posting is only done on that particular forum, and not at all on the rest of the board, however, feathered kids, or *fids* is used throughout. :p

So the "from the pen of MikEE's" annoy you? :(

RubyMutt
07-13-2003, 10:52 AM
Again I was just expressing my feelings.

And so were we.

RubyMutt
07-13-2003, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by primabella

I love to hear "From the pen of MikEE" :D He's such a cutie!

Cookiebaker
07-13-2003, 10:57 AM

No, and no, and no and no and NO!!! MikEE does NOT Annoy me! And even if it does annoy some people, it doesn't the rest of us. I have learned in my short life that you just can't please everybody. So just do what you are going to do anyway, )as long as you can live with the consequences.) ;)

primabella
07-13-2003, 11:23 AM
Hehe Anna :)

Okay thanks. :D

from the pen of MikEE

Would it be betterz if I wrote like dis? At leazt its undestandable ;)

Kissez to all,
MikEE

popcornbird
07-13-2003, 12:21 PM

No No No No!!!! I LOVE hearing from the pen of MIKEE! :p You only do that sometimes. Even I make my birds do the typing every now and then. :p I meant that people who do it way to much kind of gets annoying sometimes, because its hard to read, especially if its sooooooo long.

I Love Brian, Forever <3
07-13-2003, 12:53 PM
Such a useless thread......... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

clara4457
07-13-2003, 12:57 PM
I remember several years ago or so, there was a comic strip called "Rose is Rose". It featured a baby called Pasqual (I think). The author would write a kind of baby talk when Pasqual was talking. I used to love that comic strip because I would sit there and try to decipher what he was saying - sort of like doing a puzzle.

I really enjoy the posts from the furkids, especially Cinder and Smokey. It brightens my day and makes me laugh as well as making me think. It takes a very talented person to create a totally different language. I know if I tried, it would come out ridiculous and irritating. I just don't have the ability, which is why I appreciate someone who can do it. JRR Tolkien, one of my favorite authors comes to mind.

zippy-kat
07-13-2003, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by clara4457
I really enjoy the posts from the furkids, especially Cinder and Smokey. It brightens my day and makes me laugh as well as making me think. It takes a very talented person to create a totally different language.

I whole heartedly agree! There are several who try to use it and fail; I honestly believe writing prose -whether in 'furkid' language or otherwise- is a gift. Some have it, others don't.

I enjoy (and look forward to) the "Cinner & 'Mokey" tales! :D

I've often thought of having Piper and/or K'Cee adopt the "Sophie language" but 1) I think they need a new/different voice and 2) I thought you guys might be tired of that.

Judymin, I respectfully disagree but I appreciate your honesty and how you voiced your opinions without throwing flames. :)

GoldenRetrLuver
07-13-2003, 01:22 PM

No way! We love to hear from Mickey! ;) :D

primabella
07-13-2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by I Love Brian, Forever <3

So don't post in it :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

primabella
07-13-2003, 01:33 PM
Glad you guys like Mickey talking. lol I was just making sure it wasn't annoying...

I Love Brian, Forever <3
07-13-2003, 01:58 PM
primabella, perfect exaample.

Can't even take an opinion. LOL :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

binka_nugget
07-13-2003, 02:56 PM
To:Pwimabella

Me mum likes it when Mickster talks. She finks it's cute. She sayz don't wurry cuz it'z what pleasez you and shouldn't haf to please everyone else.

Lickz+Hugz,
"Kai baby"

wolfsoul
07-13-2003, 03:48 PM
Ize very sad dat sum tink dat hearin me talk is annoyin. I like to hear all da udder pets talkin, and so duz my mom. Den they say dat we sound unintelligent??? Well, I dunno bout all da udder pets, but I dunno how to spell and talk as good as sum 'purrsons' here!! Ize only a dog. They can't asspect me ta do everting perfect, now can they?? I never went to obedunce school. And I also have a hard time typin. Sum timez my paws just slip :p

~TiMbEr

binka_nugget
07-13-2003, 03:57 PM
ROFL TIMBER!:D :D :D

GoldenRetrLuver
07-13-2003, 04:05 PM
So don't post in it :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Exactly. :rolleyes:

primabella
07-13-2003, 05:32 PM
primabella, perfect exaample.

Can't even take an opinion. LOL :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Oh you really showed me. :rolleyes: Okay, since you wanna go with that, my opinion is that if you have a problem with a post, don't post in it. But it's not like anyone would take that seriously...

primabella
07-13-2003, 05:48 PM
Such a useless post :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Is that better?

lol thanks Ash. Yeah we need to here more from Kai baby ;)

RubyMutt
07-13-2003, 05:57 PM
Such a useless post :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

lol :D

well said :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

popcornbird
07-13-2003, 06:50 PM
Hi eberbirdie! Popcorn and Muffin here!

We bez hearin all whats you all been sayin. We tinks PT should haves a forum just for us animuls to be speakin all about dem hoomans! Anybirdie agrees? Tanks, and da baby talks will continues! Just nots all da timez! :D

wolfsoul
07-13-2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
Hi eberbirdie! Popcorn and Muffin here!

We bez hearin all whats you all been sayin. We tinks PT should haves a forum just for us animuls to be speakin all about dem hoomans! Anybirdie agrees? Tanks, and da baby talks will continues! Just nots all da timez! :D

Icawus here!

I agree dat it would be very neat! And den mebbe nobody wud get mad at us fer tawkin. I am very sad dat they sed we sound stupid...We are just not eddacated...I neva heard if a school for rodents. If they have one for rats at a good price, lemme know, and den nobuddy wud make funna me.

popcornbird
07-13-2003, 07:06 PM
Yea! We bez tinkin dat momma needs ta sendz us to birdiez kindergawten, but mommys sayz that dere no birdie skoolz out derez! Wats a birdies to do! We needs educatons, uder wise, we bez neber learn to spellz, so we tinks we needs obur OWN forumz to talk to all dem petz bout obur pet hoomanz!!

Popcorn & Muffin

wolfsoul
07-13-2003, 07:17 PM
Frrsco here! Mom sayz dat I should go to housekeepin' skool. She says I dunno how ta keep a place tidy. Well, you should see her room!! *snorts* She's da one dat hassa go to housekeepin skool! She always goin on about what a gentleman Icarus is...Keeping his room tidy...Well he's a puny little mouse.

I tink dat a place for just us pets ta talk would be really cool. :D And we wouldint even needa go to skool because no one here wud judge us!!! (I tink..)

~fRRsco

CathyBogart
07-13-2003, 10:37 PM
Chubby here!

I like to post, but I let mom correct my spelling, because she is what she calls a "frustrated grammarian". I don't know what that is, but she won't let me post until she fixes my spelling.

Cathy again

I usually skip over the posts from the critters. They're cute, but I don't like to have to muddle through stuff. I skip posts with ridiculously bad spelling and grammar too, and I definitely skip most posts that are in all caps. ^.^

Twisterdog
07-14-2003, 12:09 AM
I usually skip over the posts from the critters. They're cute, but I don't like to have to muddle through stuff. I skip posts with ridiculously bad spelling and grammar too, and I definitely skip most posts that are in all caps.

I do the same thing. I also skip long posts that have no paragraphs. Bleck. :p

I Love Brian, Forever <3
07-14-2003, 12:24 AM
Ah, I now realize I'm definitely not here to talk and be friends with all of you pathetic folks. Mainly just here to see all of the cute animals and share my love for animals... looks like I'll have to find a different crowd...... and happily too.

I'm sure you'll all be happy to see me leave, no doubt about it. But trust me, I'm just as happy to go.

Later! ;) :rolleyes:

GoldenRetrLuver
07-14-2003, 12:26 AM
Ah, I now realize I'm definitely not here to talk and be friends with all of you pathetic folks. Mainly just here to see all of the cute animals and share my love for animals... looks like I'll have to find a different crowd...... and happily too.

I'm sure you'll all be happy to see me leave, no doubt about it. But trust me, I'm just as happy to go.

Pathetic? :rolleyes:

LoudLou
07-14-2003, 03:42 AM
Originally posted by zippy-kat
... I've often thought of having Piper and/or K'Cee adopt the "Sophie language" but 1) I think they need a new/different voice and 2) I thought you guys might be tired of that.

Tired of "Sophie Language" ?! NEVER!

Some of us REALLY miss those posts from Miss Sophie:( and are praying that Mr. Piper and Miss K'Cee will soon find their Voice.;)

zippy-kat
07-14-2003, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by LoudLou
Tired of "Sophie Language" ?! NEVER!

Some of us REALLY miss those posts from Miss Sophie:( and are praying that Mr. Piper and Miss K'Cee will soon find their Voice.;)

Thanks, Loud Louie. :o :)
I miss them (and HER) too! :(

We'll see what Piper and K'Cee and come up with after I finish hoggin' the 'puter.... it's crunch time on the term paper. Bleck!

primabella
07-14-2003, 09:12 AM

Yeah there was no need for that PM you sent me either :rolleyes: Too bad you're gonna leave. We never even got to see all your pets. I've gotten on peoples' nerves and I didn't leave. Deal with it. Or else, fine, just go. I guess I could go without your nasty messages.

Later :rolleyes:

Airedalekisses
07-14-2003, 12:15 PM
whew who wizzed in her cornflakes this morning-sure everyone ticks off a few people now and then-that's why we're called human!We all have opinions and we try to be tolerant-in PT we have a bond-we all love animals. so take it or leave it-and as far as the word pathetic-that's a bit strong!!

iceyshiver21
07-14-2003, 01:21 PM

Wow. It's good to wake up and find that I'm Pathetic..great. You like that word alot don't you...? Beings I've been nothing but nice to you, as have many of us here. All's I can see is that you brought it on yourself, for bashing anothers thread.