PDA

View Full Version : o my!! my friends cats... :(

tikeyas_mom
07-10-2003, 01:32 AM
My friend has two male neutered inside cats that are very friendly. she got them both from the SPCA as adults and they are so nice. They also have a dach hund. Her and her husband have been trying for years, and finally got pregnant and she had two baby boys, one of the cats is very hairy and one of the babies is very allergenic it seems. They are thinking of giving away the darker older sheddy cat to a farm because he always wants outside sooooo bad! it is so depressing to see how much he wants out. :(.

do you think that this is a good decision on her part? and on the cats part? :confused:

aly
07-10-2003, 01:39 AM
I don't necessarily think its a good idea to make an older, inside cat into a barn cat :(

IttyBittyKitty
07-10-2003, 06:56 AM
I agree with Aly that it isn't a good idea for an elder, indoor cat to become a barn cat, but it depends on where he will live. Will he be an indoor/outdoor cat on the farm? Will he get to sleep and eat inside, but go and explore the farm at his leasure?

If that is the case, it would probably be a good move for him.

carole
07-10-2003, 10:01 PM
It really depends on just what other options are available to the cat.
I think the cat will do fine on the farm, I am sure it will adjust quickly and could be very happy.
However having said that, what other alternatives are there? if there is a better option more suited to the cat, then take it.

PayItForward
07-11-2003, 05:53 AM
The new baby in the home syndrome strikes again !!! :(

What about rehoming the cat to a normal home which lets the cat out (May be more comfortable than being a farm barn cat)

Also if the cats are attached, they should be rehomed together.

------------------
*Rant*
I saw a note on the vets noticeboard. Urgently need to rehome two three year old cats (Ginger & Torti). When I spoke to the vet, it was a case of new baby syndrome again. :(

Now I am not including in this rant the parents who have a genuine need to rehome the cat, to prevent real danger to the child. It sadly does happen and for these parents have to struggle to rehome a beloved pet, I pass on my best wishes.

But it sounds like so many people see the child's first cold, blame it on the cat and use it as an excuse in order to get rid of the loyal pet. As many people lost interest in their cats now a baby is on the scene.

My vet said in the above case the lady believed the hogwash about cats stealing babies breath etc. :mad:

Denyce
07-11-2003, 08:40 AM
I am sorry..anyone who believes something as incredibly stupid as cats stealing babies breath is too freaking stupid to be breeding. There really ought to be a test!

Prairie Purrs
07-11-2003, 01:31 PM
I recall hearing about recent studies showing that children who are exposed to pets, etc., as babies are actually less likely to become allergic than are children who grow up in petless, sanitized houses. So someone who automatically gets rid of the cat when the baby arrives isn't doing the baby a favor.

IttyBittyKitty
07-12-2003, 01:38 AM
What do you mean, stealing the baby's breath? Like lying on top of the baby and smothering it? :confused:

At any rate, if you fear for the cat and baby not getting along, don't leave them in the same room unsupervised! It's that simple! You wouldn't want to be leaving a new born baby unsupervised anyway.

I agree with PayItForward - there are people who use a new child as the excuse to get rid of the pet because their miniscule attention span has now moved onto something else. I feel for the children of such individuals - what happens to the child when the parent's attention span again shifts to something newer and more exciting? Geez.

tikeyas_mom
07-12-2003, 02:50 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by PayItForward
[B]The new baby in the home syndrome strikes again !!! :(
[QUOTE]

did I once say that the cat was going to sufficate the baby and thats why they are giving it away?? :mad: I didnt, they are not like that, they love this cat to musch to believe such bull crap. I am seriouse. I said one of the babies has allergies to the heavily shedding cat, and he cant breate ever through his nose. :(

And the cat has a drive to be outside! I asked her about when she got the cat, and I was mistakend, She got her first cat as a kitten, and her second one as an adult *the one she is thinking about rehoming*. She cant let it be a inside out side cat because he complex doesnt allow free roming animals.

PayItForward
07-13-2003, 08:07 AM
I did not say that your friend's situation involved suffocation but the other case I saw at my local vet.

I also stated that if the parents have a good reason, sadly the cat must be rehomed.

Lastly, I have no problem with inside/outside cats as my own cats are so.

Please read my post properly, before getting upset.

The only way my comments would refer to your friend, would be if (Note I said IF) your friend didn't really need to get rid of older cat but choose to use the baby as an excuse.

Either way, good luck on rehoming the cats.

(I still think both cats should be rehomed together if they get on well, less upsetting for the cats.)

PayItForward
07-13-2003, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by IttyBittyKitty
What do you mean, stealing the baby's breath? Like lying on top of the baby and smothering it? :confused:

English folklaw states that a cat would sit on a childs chest, cats head over child mouth (over not on) and the cat would breath in the childs breath. i.e. Stealing the breath. The child would fall ill & die. :confused:
Silly idea but some folks are silly and I agree licenses should be needed to prove your worth before breeding (humans & pets )

tikeyas_mom..The above comments refers to the owners of the advert I saw at the vets NOT your friend. (Read my posts carefully before getting upset)