PDA

View Full Version : Stupid bank teller >:(

slleipnir
07-09-2003, 12:14 PM
Arg. I went to deposit my tips today, and I do it in at the tellers so I know they're putting it in right etc. So I counted it before giving it to the guy then he gives me something to sign with the amount on it. 236 it said..I knew I had 36 in toonies/loonies but I coulda sorn I had more bills..but I was stupid and didn't say anything..no idea why. I'm really shy that way I guess. So I get home and look at the thing he gave me and it says 236.40..now, I know I didn't have 40 cents..I had bills, toonies and loonies. So my mom said to call and say they made a mistake but again, I'm really shy about it and had NO idea what to say..so i call them and say I think there was a mistake. Then he's like ok, well I'll ask you a few questions. 1st one. What products do you use at the bank? (me thinking: products..wtf..a bank?) so I was afraid of looking stupid and not knowing so I gave the phone to mom..I know that was even more stupid of me but I got freaked out..So she gives it back (he asked for me) and was like "Why did you pass the phone off?" I was like "Uh, I don't know.." then he was like "Why did you pass the phone off" me: "I wasn't sure what you ment.." him"Why did you pass it off?!" me: "It doesn't matter. It's not your consern" him: "Ok then..anything else I can help you with.." he said it so sour..so I got upset and sayd nevermind and hung up. He pissed me off. Hes a damn jerk. Why does it matter if I passed the phone off? and more importantly, how's it his business? I'm usually not the shy I duno what my problem was today..but I had no idea what to do/say..anyway, we ended up calling back and turns out he shorted me out 40 bucks. So I'm going in tomorrow to make sure -sigh- It was just the tone he said that last part in, like 'ok if you won't tell me, then I'm not going to help you.' its like, if I wasn't Audrey, why would I be calling to see if I got ripped? Ppl piss me off..its like I worked my butt off for those tips, hes not taking them from me.

Chinadoll
07-09-2003, 12:29 PM
eek! I'm paranoid that something like that will happen to me. That's why I always double check the deposit receipt they give me...for both the amount and account number. You're not the only one who's shy. I've had that happen to me before...instances when I know I should speak up but for some strange reason I just don't. I hope they're able to fix it for you.

CathyBogart
07-09-2003, 01:18 PM
Keep in mind that he works customer service too, and every customer service job has its pet peeves. Maybe that's just one of the things that really grates on his nerves. Doesn't mean it was an excuse for him to be rude, just a thought.

Airedalekisses
07-09-2003, 01:21 PM
oh, my cutie teller!! what a pain- typed in $0000.00 for my deposit-isn't that nice!? She should have spent less time eating the sweet rolls and more time looking at the numbers-she also has these lonnnnngggg nails which she doesn't want to break when she types-so she uses a pencil and slowly does each character!! Hope you get it sorted out-I finally did after 4 visits to the bank!:mad:

Uabassoon
07-09-2003, 01:43 PM
I had bills, toonies and loonies

What are toonies and loonies. It sounds like something from a cartoon.

RICHARD
07-09-2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Uabassoon
What are toonies and loonies. It sounds like something from a cartoon.

d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d dat's all folks!!!

from what I remember,
the dollar pieces in Canada have a loon (bird)
on them, hence the Looney name....Toonies??

you got me!

slick
07-09-2003, 02:16 PM
Right. Loonies are 1 dollar pieces and toonies are 2 dollar pieces. For some reason the gvt decided to do away with paper money and give us all these heavy pieces of metal to carry around. I hear tell that soon we might be getting a five-dollar coin as well.....just a rumour though.....I hope.

Denyce
07-09-2003, 02:46 PM
As a defense to bank tellers, mainly because my husband is one at the moment, some customers are just plain annoying. In the first place it is the responsibility of the customer to know how much money they have in the bank and how much they are depositing. We live in a college town and I just can't tell you how often you want to phone the parents of some of these young people and tell them that they are wasting their money on their children.

Young people these days can't seem to understand that you cannot spend money you don't have. And that it takes a certain amount of time for checks to clear before you can start spending the money. They also don't understand that if you deposit 500 dollars and that weekend go out and spend 1000 that you are in the negative and there are charges you have to pay for that. They are always saying "But why didn't the machine cut me off when I had spent all I had? Why did it let me keep spending money?!?!? That isn't fair!!!:rolleyes:

One girl came in on a Monday morning and wanted to know how to stop payment on a debit charge to Red Lobster. She had taken a bunch of friends out to dinner on the previous Friday and now she didn't have enough money to pay her rent. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

So while I understand that some tellers are just rude and there isn't an excuse for rudeness taking care of your money is ultimately your responsibility.

Denyce

CathyBogart
07-09-2003, 02:56 PM
Thanks Denyce. I often jump to the defense of irritable people in customer service just because I've been there. There's really no reason to be rude, but sometimes it's just unavoidable.

Denyce
07-09-2003, 07:30 PM
I'm Denyce's husband, the bank teller. Here are a few possible answers to your questions of why he said the things he did.
He asked you about the product you use. He needed to know if you were talking about a savings account, checking account, line of credit, etc, (yes those are products).
Due to privacy laws the bank teller cannot discuss your account with anyone but you. Not even your mother. He should not be discussing your account over the phone How does he know it's really Audrey? How does he know it is not somebody who got ahold of your purse and is really calling to find out about your account information? Thieves can use a suprisingly small amount of information to steal your identity. Banks have to take identity theft very seriously.
It is his concern as to why you passed the phone to somebody else. It can be seen as suspicious activity, something bank personnel are taught to be on the look out for. Think about it from his side. You are an adult with your own finances and trying to sort out to what amounts to be a simple problem. Why then would you be handing the phone off to somebody else. Perhaps a scam is in the works? These days, always a possibility. Bank tellers are trying to protect you as well as themselves either way it can be the tellers job on the line, and your hard earned money.
If a tellers drawer does not balance at the end of the day the teller has to answer for it, if it happens enough it can be a job on the line. It doesn't matter if the drawer is over or under, it is a problem for the bank, the branch, the manager and the teller.
I am not defending the attitude the teller may have taken. There is never a reason to be rude, customer service is a primary concern. And if he really was rude you should make an appointment with the bank manager to discuss the matter. Be aware that we are all human and all have our bad days and while that is not an excuse, it does happen.
And do you really think a bank teller would put his job at risk to 'screw' you out of 40 bucks? Perhaps it was just an honest mistake.

Brian

Nomilynn
07-09-2003, 10:19 PM
Toonies are actually supposed to be called "Doubloon" because it was double a loonie.. I guess it technically should be spelled "twonies?" I don't know.. anyway.. doubloon soon fell by the way side because it's not as easy to say as toonie. :)

And as for the bank teller.. to Denyce's husband Brian.. what you said makes a lot of sense, but why coudln't the teller say it that politely to Audrey? It just seems like he wasn't as helpful as he could have been. I think if he had explained it as nicely as you did here, it might have been a different story. I know I wouldn't have known what "bank products" are.. :o

kingrattus
07-09-2003, 10:29 PM
Here's our Cartoon money heheheh

http://jess.iahu.ca/albums/album09/IMG_0096.jpg
http://jess.iahu.ca/albums/album08/AXLE6.jpg

slleipnir
07-10-2003, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Denyce
As a defense to bank tellers, mainly because my husband is one at the moment, some customers are just plain annoying. In the first place it is the responsibility of the customer to know how much money they have in the bank and how much they are depositing. We live in a college town and I just can't tell you how often you want to phone the parents of some of these young people and tell them that they are wasting their money on their children.

Young people these days can't seem to understand that you cannot spend money you don't have. And that it takes a certain amount of time for checks to clear before you can start spending the money. They also don't understand that if you deposit 500 dollars and that weekend go out and spend 1000 that you are in the negative and there are charges you have to pay for that. They are always saying "But why didn't the machine cut me off when I had spent all I had? Why did it let me keep spending money?!?!? That isn't fair!!!:rolleyes:

One girl came in on a Monday morning and wanted to know how to stop payment on a debit charge to Red Lobster. She had taken a bunch of friends out to dinner on the previous Friday and now she didn't have enough money to pay her rent. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

So while I understand that some tellers are just rude and there isn't an excuse for rudeness taking care of your money is ultimately your responsibility.

Denyce

Well I do agree, but to me it's almost like your suggesting I'm like that? Cause I'm not. At all. I'm very responsible with my money, I've already saved 1000, I work my ass off for my money and I know responsibily. my dad gave me andmy brother so many thousands of dollars to pay our bills. I've always had it up today and always give him a monthly statement on what I've spent/have. If thats not using money responsibly I don't know what is. He trusts us for a reason. I know what I can and cannot spend..Now I know your speaking in gerneral and not at me but it's almost like you are referring to a degree which kinda bothers me..I did know how much money I had but I got freaked out for whatever reason and figured I was wrong. I'm like that. But I solved it. He was just a jerk thats all. Some ppl are. Its his job however, not mine. Again, I know you weren't refering to me, but I wanted to make it clear anyway..
I understand he was asking questions for privacy, it still gives him no right to be that rude..It really wasn't his consern what I did it..I got freaked out thats all. I just don't see why the privacy thing comes into affect in this case..Why would lets say Jill, call and ask them to make sure they didn't make a mistake with Audreys money/acct? It doesn't make sense..Why would they care...I don't get it..I'm sure he had his reasons, but his tone was what got to me. His tone when he 1st answered didn't sound to thrilled to help me from the start which probably is what made me more nervous about pissing him off by not knowing what hes talking about..

slleipnir
07-10-2003, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by WolfChan
Thanks Denyce. I often jump to the defense of irritable people in customer service just because I've been there. There's really no reason to be rude, but sometimes it's just unavoidable.
I'm irritable? :( I guess you'd have to actually been in my position to judge me..You said ppl though, as in not refering to me, but as its in this topic I'm sure it is..

CathyBogart
07-10-2003, 02:09 AM
Read my post more carefully. I was referring to the person you spoke to at the bank. In this case you were the customer, not the customer service. He was probably having a bad day, or maybe the last fifteen customers he had all did stupid things and he was just fed up with people in general.

As was said, most people wouldn't risk a good job to screw someone out of $40.

Don't tell me you've never snapped at someone who didn't deserve it, because it happens to everyone sometimes. More often than not, the customer service people are on the recieving end, as I'm sure you know.

Brian: Everything you said makes a lot of sense, and certainly explains why he would be annoyed. Thanks for clarifying!

popcornbird
07-10-2003, 02:20 AM
OMG Sleipnir! I'm exactly like that! I get all nervous when making such calls, and my mind goes BLANK! Its like, I don't know what to say. Some people are incredibly rude though, and sometimes, the way people talk can make you nervous. The only phone call I can make (other than family/friends/teachers/etc.) without forgetting what I need to say is when I call the vets office. :p That's as easy as apple pie! :p:p

Nomilynn
07-10-2003, 04:37 AM
I always used to get nervous.. I expecially hated calling and ordering pizza :o But now that I'm living on my own, if I don't call - who will!!! Right now, as I'm preparing for my friend's wedding in August, I've had to call a whole bunch of people on her fiance's side of the family that I've never met - SCARY!!! :D But hey.. it's gotta be done right (although I still won't order take out if Nathan's with me.. I make him do it ;))

Audrey, it takes time and practice. It may seem silly to not know what to say to a bank teller, etc. but it really does come with more experience :) Good luck :)

kingrattus
07-10-2003, 08:16 AM
I hate it when service people are rude/scary. I personally don't see any reason for him to be rude. I do customer service almost everyday at work, & almost every 2ed customer is mean, rude, stupid, etc, but I have never gotten mad at any customer. I'm never rude, never yell. Being a Postal Clerk is one of the worst jobs to have. Honestly, who on earth wants to get happy about receiving mail for a divorce, death, late payment, being evicted, Thats the kind of mail peope get from us, so they get mad at us because we handed it to them.

We're one of the best post offices in Ottawa. We get the poorest people (which means 10 X more bad mail), we serve way too large of an area for our size, so were always backed up & trip over someting with every turn. Theres a good reason why we won an award this year (its for 2002, but we just got it), Our manager has told us why customers are grumpy, so always try to be extra nice & happy to everyone, & we are. We get people who bus all the way to our post office to deal with us, because their post office people r horrible, & we already have too many customers as it is.

He still had no right to be mean, rude & scare u like he did.