PDA

View Full Version : hamster babies

hamsterlover
07-09-2003, 12:12 PM
Hi! I'm new to this group, and I had to say hello....I love reading about everyone's experiences with their four-legged children....PayItForward, I loved the pics you posted...cute kittens, and I hope the adults learn to accept them in time...what a house-ful! And I thought I had a zoo with 3 cats, 2 aquatic frogs and a hamster! LOL!

Which brings me to my question: does anyone have any experience with teddy bear hamster babies? I bought an adult last week from a pet store and was told she was accidentally put in the cage with a boy...the other two females were obviously pregnant, but mine wasn't showing yet (although I knew the chances of her escaping 'untainted' were pretty slim)....and I came home yesterday to find babies! There are about eight of them, as far as I can tell....she won't let me near them (and I know that isn't a good idea, anyway). Aside from not touching them, unless I want her to eat them, is there anything I need to do for her/them? Vitamins, etc? Special food? I'm going to the pet store today to see what they suggest, and I'm going to do a little more web research, but I wanted to see what you guys had to say, since you've (hopefully) had experiences with this. I'm at a loss....have never had baby animals of any kind and don't know what I should do for her, if anything....all I know is when they're old enough, they're going back to the pet store...didn't plan on having nine hamsters! LOL.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

hamsterlover

GoldenRetrLuver
07-09-2003, 01:15 PM
Hi and Welcome to Pet Talk! My name is Julie and I am owned by 2 dogs, Daisy a golden retriever and Molly, a collie (in signature). I also have 2 cats, Angel and Dillian, a teddy bear hamster named Neko, and 6 desert tortoises!

As to your question, that happened to me only is was with mice...err...mice have alot more babies then hamsters! I would just leave them alone for a while, feed them the regular food, and water. The mom is very protective of her babies, so dont bother them. Going to a pet store is a good idea for information! Good Luck!

P.S. I would love to see pics of your hammy! :)

hamsterlover
07-09-2003, 01:47 PM
Hi! Thanks for replying....and thanks for you advice. I will definitely leave them alone for awhile. As for a picture, I will post one as soon as I can...obviously I can't right away, and since I just got her, I'm not sure how cooperative she'll be next month when I can touch her and the babies, but I'll try. But in the meantime, I found an adorable picture of a Teddy Bear hamster that looks a lot like mine...except mine is all tan and has black ears.

Thanks again! :)

CathyBogart
07-09-2003, 01:51 PM
Give her a small (~1 inch) piece of bread dipped in milk. It will help replace some of the nutrients taken out of her body by the babies, therefore reducing the chance she'll eat any of them.

That's what we do at work, and since we started, we've had MANY less babies eaten! (we don't have litters often, but our supplier isn't always as good at sexing babies as we are

hamsterlover
07-09-2003, 02:14 PM
Wow, thanks for the advice! Never would have thought of that....judging by what you and others have said, replacing the milk as you suggested and also not touching the babies while they're nursing will reduce the risk of her eating them....I hope so, anyway! Had a start last night: when I first discovered the babies, I had accidentally moved the tube they're in and removed the bedding...she refused to come out, and then I discovered why! She carried a baby in her mouth and my friend and I thought she was going to eat it, but I believe she was just moving it because she took it back into the nest. Phew!

Anyway, thanks for all your help....

Donna
hamsterlover

tikeyas_mom
07-09-2003, 03:37 PM
ok I have first hand experience with syrain hamster babies, do not touch the babies, or the mother. take out her wheel and all or any tubes or levels. Feed her bread soaked in milk and keep her in a quiet dark place, do not bother her inless you are feeding her or changing her water, donot look at or touch the babies, do not change the cage intull the pups are about 2 weeks old. syrian hamsters have been none to eat there pups due to stress, or lack of nutrients. if she hasnt had her pups yet change her cage and put alot of unsented toilet paper in there and alwasy make it availible. use carefreah or aspen bedding not pine or cedar, pine amnd cedar are very bad for hamsters repitory systoms and if a litter of hamster pups are born in that type of bedding they will most likely not survive. when pups are 14-16 days old you may handle them for SHORT periods of time, to sex them, and to get them used to the human touch and sent. you must determin which are boys are which are girls befor they are 20 days old. they sexes must be seperated from eachother and the mother at 4-5 weeks to prevent inbreeding. Syrian hamsters are solitary you cannot house any of the female with there mother after the age of 5 weeks old, she will kill them.

in conclusion you must have 3 cages in total, one for male pups one for female pups and one for the mother.

she will start to buldge around her sides and ripping apart her home around the tenth day of pregnancy. so you should know by then if she is for sure pregnant, any other questions please pm me or email me at [email protected] you might also want to join a commenly used hamster forum located at www.hamsterific.com to learn more. good luck.

hamsterlover
07-09-2003, 04:04 PM
Hi, and thanks for your post....it was very imformative and helpful. She had the babies either yesterday or the day before, and I'm thankful I knew enough not to touch the babies. Am not going to keep the babies or find them homes...they're going back to the pet store when they're old enough, so I don't need more cages, but will find another way to transport them in a few weeks. I only have the female, no male (he already did his damage :mad: ) so I think I can get by with one cage for now.

Thanks again for all your help.

hamsterlover

wolfsoul
07-09-2003, 04:09 PM
Why are you taking them to the petshop? You should put ads out everywhere so you can find homes for them yourselves, instead of relying on the petshop that only cares for profit.

tikeyas_mom
07-09-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
Why are you taking them to the petshop? You should put ads out everywhere so you can find homes for them yourselves, instead of relying on the petshop that only cares for profit.

agreed!!!

you should NOT take them back to the pet store they will hosue all the babies together and then they will end up inbreeding!!! :(.
please dont let that happen!!! please be responsible and find these babies homes by adds in the news paper and around town!! please dont let the pet store have them they will just be irresponsible with them!! please !!!! :(

hamsterlover
07-09-2003, 05:07 PM
First, I haven't made up my mind one way or the other. All I know is, I wanted ONE hamster, not nine. Second, I will do what is responsible because I love all animals and don't want to see any hurt. And thirdly, I came to you guys for advice on what to do with them right at this moment as far as vitamins, foods, etc. goes, not to be judged for my actions. I'll thank you to keep your judgments to yourselves.

wolfsoul
07-09-2003, 05:18 PM
What you do at the moment reflects what happens in the future. I'm not judging you, I don't know what gave you that idea. I'm just saying that taking them to a petshop only ensures that this cycle will start again. someone else will take a pregnant hammy, and have to go through what you are going through now.

We aren't judging you, just telling you what we feel is a more responsible decision to ensure that the hamsters go to safe happy homes, and not end up pregnant, and/or at a risk for illness.

It's really your choice, but that's JIMO.

hamsterlover
07-09-2003, 05:26 PM
I would NEVER knowingly endanger the life of any living creature, and I have been assured by the pet shop that when the time comes for them to be separated from their mother, they will be kept separate from each other. The original mistake in which mine was put in with a male was done by a new employee and I've been told he has learned his lesson. I don't have the time or, more importantly, the space to put up nine hamsters, and I don't know anyone who would want them. When the time approaches, I will make double-sure before I give them to a pet shop.

Thanks for your concern.

tikeyas_mom
07-09-2003, 06:27 PM
most pet stores around here house there hamster in pine bedding? does the one that you are planning on giving your hamster pups to house their hamsters in pine bedding?

I seriously dought that the pet store is going to place the males and female all in different cages, because it is a waist of space and money (extra bedding and food). I also think that if they did infact seperate the males and the females, ppl would come along handle them and mix the sexes up by placing them in the wrong cages. I have seen it happen befor. Also another fact is that pet store imployees are very carless about small aniamsl like (hamsters, gerbils, rats, mice) because they are considered feeders not pets in most places. All the pet stores i have seen do not know how to properly sex male and female hamsters, of the dwarf or syrian species.

please reconsider what you are going to do with these hamster pups. it is important for there future.

you should have thought about hamster babies befor you got this hamster, you should have considered getting a male syrian not a female.

GoldenRetrLuver
07-09-2003, 06:30 PM
She didnt know the hamster was going to have babies. She also said she only wanted ONE hamster, so the sex of the hamster didnt matter then. Sorry..i was answering your question for her..:)

tikeyas_mom
07-09-2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by GoldenRetrLuver
She didnt know the hamster was going to have babies. She also said she only wanted ONE hamster, so the sex of the hamster didnt matter then. Sorry..i was answering your question for her..:)

she also said that she saw heavily pregnant hamsters in the cage!! you would think that all of the fermales would be pregnant as well. INLESS infertile! .. It is good she only wanted ONE hamster, but she should have thought about babies when she saw the pregant hamsters. :(. Which I dont think she did. I dont know about hamsterlover but I fully researched befor I got ANY of my pets even my hamsters. She should have read up on breeding and hamster babies and gestation periods.

here is the quote about the heavily pregnant hammies and how she thinks hers might have been pregnant.

I bought an adult last week from a pet store and was told she was accidentally put in the cage with a boy...the other two females were obviously pregnant, but mine wasn't showing yet (although I knew the chances of her escaping 'untainted' were pretty slim)....

iceyshiver21
07-09-2003, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
she also said that she saw heavily pregnant hamsters in the cage!! you would think that all of the fermales would be pregnant as well. INLESS infertile! .. It is good she only wanted ONE hamster, but she should have thought about babies when she saw the pregant hamsters. :(. Which I dont think she did. I dont know about hamsterlover but I fully researched befor I got ANY of my pets even my hamsters. She should have read up on breeding and hamster babies and gestation periods.

here is the quote about the heavily pregnant hammies and how she thinks hers might have been pregnant.

Everyone makes mistakes....(even you...I recall. But I wont go into that) They came here to try and find the best thing to do with these lil hammies that have suprisingly popped into life. Now they are seeking help..I dont know nothing about hamsters, but I have rats. I know nothing about raising little hammies, therfore Im usless at this thread. We are here to Educate!! Think about it people! :p

GoldenRetrLuver
07-09-2003, 06:55 PM

As i recall, you have made a few mistakes in the past as well. Whats done is done. She was asking for our help. :)

tikeyas_mom
07-09-2003, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by iceyshiver21
Everyone makes mistakes....(even you...I recall. But I wont go into that) They came here to try and find the best thing to do with these lil hammies that have suprisingly popped into life. Now they are seeking help..I dont know nothing about hamsters, but I have rats. I know nothing about raising little hammies, therfore Im usless at this thread. We are here to Educate!! Think about it people! :p

and I am telling her that the best thing to do is find homes for all the hamsters by placing adds in the news paper and NOT taking them back to the pet store where they might imbreed ect..

hamsterlover
07-09-2003, 07:13 PM
Thank you, GoldenRetriver for jumping to my defense. And Tykesmom, screw you. For a future vet tech, you're pretty stupid....please tell us what vet you're going to be working for (if you ever get to that point...it's pretty obvious you can't even spell, so I'm wondering if you can even get through vet school) so we can make sure to steer clear!

I told you about a million times that it's not a Syrian, it's a Teddy Bear. BIG difference. In fact, I even posted a picture of one that looks like mine, and you would have seen it if you had been paying attention instead of jumping to the defensive when I mentioned a pet store. I've been assured the pet store will separate them....I'm going to take the whole cage in when they're done nursing and let them separate them, just so I know it's done right. I thank you for your concern, Tykes, but all I wanted to know was whether I needed to feed her vitamins, not to have my actions judged. And whether you admit it or not, that's what you're doing. So don't do it unless you're prepared to be judged right back.

Thank you all for your comments...I believe I have my question answered.

hamsterlover
07-09-2003, 07:18 PM
Thank you, Icyshiver, as well for your help. Yes, I came here for advice on what to do with these little buggers now that they've popped into my life, not to get into a flaming war about something I haven't even done yet.

For the record, I had a *suspicion* that she was pregnant, but no one knew for sure....you know as well as I do, Tykes, that it's impossible to tell until you see them nesting. Her teats weren't showing and she wasn't swollen, so I figured the chances were 50/50. And as Icy pointed out, we all make mistakes. I just don't appreciate being judged when I came here for help. I feel like Dorothy, when all she wanted was to get herself home and her friends what they wanted, and they were yelled at by 'Oz'. Oh well.

Thanks everyone.

tikeyas_mom
07-09-2003, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by hamsterlover
Thank you, GoldenRetriver for jumping to my defense. And Tykesmom, screw you. For a future vet tech, you're pretty stupid....please tell us what vet you're going to be working for (if you ever get to that point...it's pretty obvious you can't even spell, so I'm wondering if you can even get through vet school) so we can make sure to steer clear!

I told you about a million times that it's not a Syrian, it's a Teddy Bear. BIG difference. In fact, I even posted a picture of one that looks like mine, and you would have seen it if you had been paying attention instead of jumping to the defensive when I mentioned a pet store. I've been assured the pet store will separate them....I'm going to take the whole cage in when they're done nursing and let them separate them, just so I know it's done right. I thank you for your concern, Tykes, but all I wanted to know was whether I needed to feed her vitamins, not to have my actions judged. And whether you admit it or not, that's what you're doing. So don't do it unless you're prepared to be judged right back.

Thank you all for your comments...I believe I have my question answered.

name one thing that I have posted that was stupid?? huh? sounds to me like you are jumping to conclusions! a Teddybear hamster is infact a syrian hamster!!!!! look it up!!!! grr, that makes me mad because your a total hipocrate!!!a teddy bear hamster, along with a black bear hamster, and panda bear hamsters are
ALLL syrian hamsters, OK. pet stores just give them neat names to make more many, but infact they are all the same breed except one has longer hair or is a different color. .. I dont care what you think of me. I am not judging you, I am telling you what is best for your hamsters!!just like you asked!! you just took it the wronge way !!! ughh!!.

hamsterlover
07-09-2003, 07:21 PM
Tykes, I apologize for calling you stupid...that was uncalled for. I just felt I wasn't being listened to....

Still, it was out of line and I'm sorry.

iceyshiver21
07-09-2003, 07:21 PM
and I am telling her that the best thing to do is find homes for all the hamsters by placing adds in the news paper and NOT taking them back to the pet store where they might imbreed ect..
Not all pet stores are bad...maybe you should put enough trust in people, stranger or not, to make the right choices. They must care enough to take the time to search for a place to find help at...again like I said...think about it!

tikeyas_mom
07-09-2003, 07:22 PM
Thank you, Icyshiver, as well for your help. Yes, I came here for advice on what to do with these little buggers now that they've popped into my life, not to get into a flaming war about something I haven't even done yet.

For the record, I had a *suspicion* that she was pregnant, but no one knew for sure....you know as well as I do, Tykes, that it's impossible to tell until you see them nesting. Her teats weren't showing and she wasn't swollen, so I figured the chances were 50/50. And as Icy pointed out, we all make mistakes. I just don't appreciate being judged when I came here for help. I feel like Dorothy, when all she wanted was to get herself home and her friends what they wanted, and they were yelled at by 'Oz'. Oh well.

Thanks everyone.

:rolleyes: dorothy??? lol sorry but ok... :eek:

binka_nugget
07-09-2003, 07:25 PM
I know nothing about hamsters...but I just wanted to wish you luck in raising the little ones until you bring them to the pet store.:)

tikeyas_mom
Tykes, I apologize for calling you stupid...that was uncalled for. I just felt I wasn't being listened to....

Still, it was out of line and I'm sorry.

thanks for appoligizing! but I still am kinda gashed at the fact you insulted my spelling, I am only 16 years old and I have dislexia. I hate it when ppl say i am stupid or I suck at spelling.

I feel like I am not being listened to either. and I hate that. I hope you read this post over and go to the hamsterific site i suggested. and please I wasnt judging you, I feel it isnt nessisary to take them back to the pet store that sold them to you, JMHO.

GoldenRetrLuver
Yup, i agree, not all pet stores are bad. When my mouse had babies (long story) i put out an ad for them and some were adoped out. The rest I gave to a pet store. The pet store informed me if they would get adopted and they would inform me when they get adopted. Sure enough, they were all adopted. So, basically, not all pet stores are bad. :) (sorry if that was confusing, lol)

iceyshiver21
07-09-2003, 07:28 PM
Do you have any pics of your hammies?? I would like to see some...silly me I forgot to welcome you to Pettalk!! I'm owned by a zoo...6 dogs, 10 cats, 2 horses, two bun bund and a ratty :D again welcome to pettalk...ever need any help let me know.

hamsterlover
07-09-2003, 07:28 PM
Again, I apologize.

This is only my second hamster, so I admit I don't know much, but from what I've read online, a Syrian is small and has a stripe down its back (usually, unless it's white or solid color)...but they have a particular look to them...I can see how a bear could also be a type of Syrian, but a Teddy Bear? They're three times the size and don't even look remotely similar. I've been reading online ever since I bought the hamster and haven't read anything that says a Teddy is a member of the Syrian family.

You're right, I didn't research. But as Icy pointed out, we all make mistakes. Mine was getting another one in the first place without researching it, just to replace the one who had died because I had food and a cage. It was impulsive and I should have researched more thoroughly, I agree, but I didn't know what kind I was getting until I was at the store.

Anyway, we all make mistakes. I've learned from mine. I will do all I can to make sure these little guys are safe and taken care of in the pet store before they're adoped out. I would place an ad, but I just can't keep them with my job and family responsibilities. I bought one hamster for my son, but there's just not room for nine (or however many she had...guess I'll find out soon). So the only thing I can do is trust the pet store to do all they can, and I do. They have them in a secure room under lock and key so no kids can go rummaging around in the cages, and I'm going to make sure with my own two eyes that they're separated so they don't inbreed. That's all I can do.

Thanks again for your input.

iceyshiver21
07-09-2003, 07:29 PM
thanks for appoligizing! but I still am kinda gashed at the fact you insulted my spelling, I am only 16 years old and I have dislexia. I hate it when ppl say i am stupid or I suck at spelling.

This is getting old...quit blaming your probs on dislexia...if you know you spell bad..use a spell checker..problem solved!

GoldenRetrLuver
07-09-2003, 07:31 PM
This is getting old...quit blaming your probs on dislexia...if you know you spell bad..use a spell checker..problem solved!

~nods~ :)

hamsterlover
07-09-2003, 07:31 PM
Tykes,

I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were dyslexic and so young. And I love hamsterific.com...I went there for info when I got my Siberian (I apologize, he was a Siberian, not a Syrian) and they were very helpful...but I went there today and the site was down, so that's when I went on a search and found this place.

Again, I apologize. It's rude and childish to call someone stupid, and I shouldn't have sunk to that level....it's just been a frustrating day.

Take care.

iceyshiver21
07-09-2003, 07:39 PM
I realize this is a little rude..but it just gets old. I use a spell checker with almost everything I type.

Cookiebaker
07-09-2003, 07:59 PM
Hamsterlover, First of all a big WeLcoMe to PeTtaLk!!! :)

Second, I'm so glad that you took this hamster and in so doing, are making sure that her babies are well cared for! If you hadn't taken her, then who knows what might have happened???!!!

Third, do you have pictures of your hammies??? They sound adorable, and I would love to see pics!

p.s. I hope you stick around pettalk even after some people have jumped down your throat! We're not all mean like that! :) Again, welcome to pettalk!

hamsterlover
07-09-2003, 08:10 PM
Awww, thanks for the warm welcome! You have a point.....who knows who could have ended up with my hammie....but she's happy and healthy now, and I supopse that's all that matters...that and that her babies are happy and healthy, as well :)

Obviously it's a little soon to be taking pictures....they're only a couple of days old...I believe they were born either Tuesday or yesterday. We were out of town over the weekend, but I didn't notice any babies on Monday...they could have been hiding, but I know they were born in the past couple of days. Once their eyes are open and they're running around, I'll do my best to take some picss. In the meantime, I'm going to post some pics of my other three brats :)

Thanks again!

Take care.

hamsterlover
07-09-2003, 08:13 PM
:rolleyes: dorothy??? lol sorry but ok... :eek:

LOL....yes, as in Dorothy Gale, from the Wizard of Oz :) Hehe....

hamsterlover
07-09-2003, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by binka_nugget
I know nothing about hamsters...but I just wanted to wish you luck in raising the little ones until you bring them to the pet store.:)

Thanks, Binka! Love the nick, btw.

Thanks again.....

popcornbird
07-09-2003, 08:19 PM
Hamsterlover! Welcome to PT! I was going to jump in your defense a couple of hours ago but my mom had me get off the computer to do some chores :eek:, so I decided I would post later. Meanwhile, I come back, and WOAH! Look at the thread! :eek: I'm sorry you had such a rough start, but there are great people here and most are very helpful. Hope you stay and come to love this site. Its a great site for pet reference and questions, and just talking about your pets. :p

Those of you who have been criticizing Hamsterlover, please remember that she's new to this site and came to ask a question. Is this the kind of welcome she deserves? That was truely, not nice at all. Honestly, if her hammie was pregnant at the pet store and she came home and gave birth, I consider it solely the responsiblity of the pet store to take care of the babies, not her's. They let them breed, they should be responsible for the offspring. Also, not all pet stores are bad. You don't know the whole story, so please refrain from jumping to conclusions.

Anyway, WELCOME to PT Hamsterlover! I have two cockatiels that you can see in my signature. I'd love to hear about your pets. :)

RockyRoad
07-09-2003, 08:42 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk, hamsterlover! My sister has a dwarf hamster named Speedy, who you can see in my sig. I personally own a Lop Rabbit named Floppsy, Mackarel Tabby Cat named Malley, and a Gerbil named Murphy. We also have a Tabby cat named Sally, a Tuxie Kitty named Oreo, and a GSD named Lady. I hope you like it here, and that we will learn more about your hammies soon. :) Good luck with the hammie babies. :)

hamsterlover
07-09-2003, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the warm welcomes, Floppsy and Popcornbird....they're very much appreciated :) To answer your question, I have a 7-year old cat named Carmel (orange and white longhair) , a 2-year old black cat named Monty, and a long-haired orange kitty named Tigger, who will be a year old in September. That was enough of a zoo! I also have an African Clawed frog (aquatic, green) that I've had for about six years now (they live about 15-20 years....her name is Ribbit), and another of the same kind of frog except it's white that I got last year. He's yet to be named, so if anyone has any name suggestions for an albino frog, I'd love to hear them!

And on top of all of this, we have the hamsters. My son had a Siberian dwarf hamster named Basil, but he died last week after he got out and was accidently squished :( My son felt terrible about it, so we rushed out to get Cecilia, the Teddy Bear hamster. That's why I was in such a hurry to buy a new hamster and didn't research it.....he was so distraught over his hamster's death, I thought a new one would make it better. Now that we have this surprise, he's over the death, I think! Like eight times over, LOL. She's like the picture I posted, except she's all tan and has black ears. I just got a still shot with my camcorder a little bit ago, but I'm not sure how to get the film off the memory card yet....when I figure that out, I'll post it to the group :) I tried to get another, but she darted back into her tube to be with her babies....I think she's naturally shy, but having babies has made her even more so :)

So that's my brood. I'll post pics of my kitties in a minute.

Thanks again,
hamsterlover

wolfsoul
07-09-2003, 11:32 PM
When you have dyslexia, you see the letters at different angles, often backwards. Even if she uses a spell check, she could see the P's as d's or the J's as L's. Although it could help, it won't make too much difference unfortunatly. :)

Please excuse both Tikeyas_mom and I, hamsterlover. :) We come from a city where all petshops are cruel, and the shelters are even worse. You can't blame us for growing up around places like that and then generally having bad feelings towards pet shops. I apologize if I sounded rude, I wasn't judging or critisizing you, it was just in my opinion that a petshop isn't the healthiest place. Growing up here, I tend to forget that there are other places with more established petshops that care about the needs of their pets.

Luckily, hamsters are more readily adopted out than other pets, and their nutrition requirements are more easily met, even when the pet shop has no idea what they are doing. It makes me sad to see the rats (I'm SOOO biased lol) in their tiny cages being fed hamster/gerbil food.

i'll look up some websites that might aid you, and I'll post them. :D

iceyshiver21
07-09-2003, 11:35 PM
My, my what a house hold. I hope that you come to enjoy Pettalk as much as us. You didnt have the warmest of welcomings..and Im sorry for that. Again Welcome to Pettalk

iceyshiver21
07-09-2003, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
When you have dyslexia, you see the letters at different angles, often backwards. Even if she uses a spell check, she could see the P's as d's or the J's as L's. Although it could help, it won't make too much difference unfortunatly. :)

Im sorry...the thing is she didn't tell me this.

tikeyas_mom
07-10-2003, 12:14 AM
Again, I apologize.

This is only my second hamster, so I admit I don't know much, but from what I've read online, a Syrian is small and has a stripe down its back (usually, unless it's white or solid color)...but they have a particular look to them...I can see how a bear could also be a type of Syrian, but a Teddy Bear? They're three times the size and don't even look remotely similar. I've been reading online ever since I bought the hamster and haven't read anything that says a Teddy is a member of the Syrian family.

oops :D. I think the hamster you are thinking of is a Dwarf hammie!! ;).

here is a good site to look at for SYRIAN colorations along with DWARF colorations.

http://www.hamsters-uk.org

you can goto the pics of the hamsters at the top to see the different breeds and colorations !! click on a pic then scroll down and see for your self that your hamster is in fact a syrain!

Dwarf hamsters:
http://www.hamsters-uk.org/hamster/images/argente.jpg

syrian hamster:
http://www.hamsters-uk.org/hamster/images/spearl.jpg

CathyBogart
07-10-2003, 02:30 AM
Teddy Bear, Black Bear, Panda Bear, golden, Dalmatian........All of these are different varieties of the same hamster...the Syrian.

If the pet store near you is as good as the one I work at (Which it sounds like it is) then the only sad thing about giving them back is that you don't get to make sure they go to homes you like. I had that problem when I had fifteen mice to try and find homes for, and 13 were boys. I discovered quickly that male mice are HARD to find homes for. I brought most of them in to work. I don't regret it at all.

My friend Ryan is dyslexic....he types everything, because he knows where the keys are on the keyboard. He's done this since he was eleven. Problem solved. After so many posts to this board, nobody should have to look at the keyboard when they type anymore! ^_^