PDA

View Full Version : You won't believe this story!!!

stacwase
07-09-2003, 05:50 AM
I guy I work with was telling me this story. I just couldn't believe it!

We live up in the upper penninsula of Michigan. It's quite wild and remote up here.

Bob's brother has a very big malamute/wolf mix. One day Bob went outside and saw his brother's dog (I can't remember his name so I'll call him "Benji") running across an open field without his collar on. He called, but Benji didn't come, so he went out into the field to catch him. Benji's usually really good and not at all difficult to catch, so Bob was really surprised when, every time he got close enough to grab him, Benji ran ahead just out of his reach. He just kept running around and every once in a while, he'd look back at Bob like Bob was nuts or something. Bob would dive for him and tried bribing him with a treat, etc. They kept this up for about 45 minutes before Bob finally threw in the towel and went home and phoned his brother. He said "Hey - I just spent 45 minutes chasing your dog across a field. I couldn't catch him." Bob's brother said "No you didn't, my dog has been sitting here with me all afternoon!"

You guessed it. Bob was chasing a very large, fully-grown wolf across the field!

I hate to imagine what would have happened if he had actually caught him!

Logan
07-09-2003, 07:03 AM
:eek:

lbaker
07-09-2003, 07:19 AM
OMG!! :eek: :eek: has he seen wolves before in that field? Wowsers... hope he doesn't have any furkids of his own that wander around!

allanimalswelcome
07-09-2003, 07:38 AM
WOW

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

This story is a keeper!

I'm so shocked. Normally a wolf would dash away because they are shy. Wow.

~Rachel

lovemyshiba
07-09-2003, 08:04 AM
WOW:eek: :eek: :eek:

Reminds me of a story a guy told me at work last night--his wife was driving home, and saw what she thought was a large black dog on the side of the road. She turned around to go back and check on it or pick it up, and it was a bear:eek: :eek:

stacwase
07-09-2003, 10:43 AM
Yeah - I was surprised at how the wolf behaved too! I would have thought he would run away.

There are many wolves up here - we see them quite frequently. They're really not as shy as a lot of people think they are - though I've never heard of anyone getting that close to one before, without being threatened.

A girl I work with is married to a guy who works for the paper mill. He was out in a remote area using a machine that cuts trees to the necessary length. He got out of the machine and said he felt like he was being watched. He turned around and less than 100 feet away was a female wolf staring him right in the eye and bearing her teeth and snarling. She maintained eye contact with him and obviously meant business. So he backed up to the machine and climbed the stairs into the cab backward. Once he got back inside, he managed to scare her off somehow - but he figures she must have had her cubs really nearby or something. That's the only thing that would explain her behavior.

Later, he and his coworks were lucky enough to witness a pack of wolves closing in on a deer. He says their teamwork is really awesome to watch.

stacwase
07-09-2003, 10:44 AM
lovemyshiba, we had a bear in town a few blocks from my house - he roamed into the water treatment area and everybody there thought he was a dog at first, too! I wonder how long he'd been wondering around town before somebody finally noticed he was a bear.

NYCbabi 13002
07-09-2003, 10:54 AM
:eek: :eek: wow!!

GSDgurl
07-09-2003, 11:12 AM
:eek: WOW~!!

ramanth
07-09-2003, 11:38 AM
OMG! :eek: :eek:

Although.. I just got a flashback to 'Dances with Wolves'. ;) :D

There was a story in the paper awhile ago where a man saw an injured dog on the side of the road. When he took it to the vet, he was told it was a coyote.

CathyBogart
07-09-2003, 01:27 PM
Wow, what a neat story! Poor wolf must have been really freaked out!