PDA

View Full Version : Ways to convince my mom?

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
07-08-2003, 11:25 PM
I want a hamster SO bad.. I've been trying to persuade my mom to let me get once, after we got rid of our kitties. ( :( ) She won't even LISTEN to me try to explain it to her. HELP! I told her I would keep it in my room, away from the dog. She keeps saying "Oh, hamsters stink, I don't want that in the house."

Can someone give me ideas on how to persuade her?

GoldenRetrLuver
07-08-2003, 11:40 PM
OMG! hamsters do NOT stink! I have one..his name is Neko. They make wonderful pets! They dont stink at all! Why would she think that? :confused: . Umm...say you will take care of it? LOL, i dont know..

CathyBogart
07-08-2003, 11:54 PM
*chuckles* My friend's strategy was always to beg for something that her mother would like less (I'm assuming that my precious ratties would freak most moms out) and then after a few weeks of that ask for the animal she really wanted.

Usually her mother was so relieved that she had given up on the "creepy (:mad: )" animal that she aquiesced. ^_^

Airedalekisses
07-09-2003, 09:15 AM
tell dear old mom that hamsters teach responsibility-When you get older and have children you can use your hamster and dog mothering skills on your children. If that doesn't work tell her that hamsters have a very calming effect on Airedales. My 'dales would sit there for hours watching the gerbils in their habitrail house. Good luck:D

NYCbabi 13002
07-09-2003, 11:06 AM
When I was about 10 or 11 I wanted a hamster. My mother said no for the same reason. Hamsters were 3$ at the pet store! So I went and got one myself along with some things to care for it. My mom grounded me for a while then she didn't care about it, as long as I took care of it. It lived for 4 years!! It died when I was fourteen. I never got another hamster after that.

They are really easy to take care of. I would tell you to go out and buy one yourself but then I might get you into trouble, and then you would blame me for it. :rolleyes: I don't want that to happen. I don't know how to convince your parents to allow you to own a hamster, but maybe if you show that you are really responsible and do things before you are asked to, maybe eventually they will notice and think you are responsible enough to own one. I don't know...I think it's worth a try!;)

RockyRoad
07-09-2003, 01:19 PM
Maybe you could print out pics of hamsters and info about them, and show them to your mom? That's how my mom let me have my rabbit when I was ten. Hamsters are excellent pets. :)

My mom hates rats (and she says gerbils look like rats), but she allowed me to have my gerbil because she knew it was what I really wanted and that I am responsible enough to take care of him. Why don't you show your mom how responsible you are, like cleaning your room, doing extra chores around the house, etc. Even if it is not a responsibility issue, it may do the trick.

That's all I can think of, besides maybe printing out these replies and putting them somewhere where you know your mom will read them? :)

tikeyas_mom
07-09-2003, 03:17 PM
I think you should beg your mom for like a corn snake or somthing that would really creep her out for about a month, then say Why cant I have a hamster? I think she will think a hamster is much better on her part then a snake ;). thats what my moms like anywasy!. My hamsters dont stink I have 3!!!! femnale have a distict smell when they go into heat, so if you dont want that get a male hammie!! just clean the cage once a week!! Trust me with 3 hamsters, I think I would have notest the smell by now ;).

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
07-09-2003, 04:43 PM
Looks like the hamster idea is a no.

She doesn't even want to talk about it, she's like hamsters stink so bad blah blah blah.... I don't want any more pets, blah blah blah...

I told her she wouldn't even see or smell the hamster, it would be in my room.

All I got was a huge, big, fat,

I SAID NO!

So much for that... I really despise my parents...

Jessika
09-04-2006, 07:13 PM
I know it sucks sometimes but parents usually have a reason for their actions. I don't think your mother is going out of her way to be mean. Yes you would keep it in your room, but it is still under her roof and in her house. Maybe don't get moody or upset (not saying you are, just saying). Handle the let down with maturity and tell her something like "that is ok, I understand mom. Maybe later down the road!" The big issue I've seen with parents saying no is the child showing lack of responsibility or respect towards the parent(s). So... I don't know the entire situation at your house to know exactly what is going on, but my suggestion is to just take it with stride, don't get mad or throw a fit about it, and just accept it and move on? Because maybe you just weren't meant to get a hamster right now? Your "dream hammy" may come later on in life and you were just meant to be together :D

Good things come to those who wait! :)

Alysser
09-04-2006, 07:23 PM
Jessika, I don't think you noticed the age of this thread but its from 2003.

Kissycat'skisses, please don't bump up old threads. If you really want to discuss something start a new thread. It often clutters the forum when you do so.

Jessika
09-04-2006, 07:25 PM
Jessika, I don't think you noticed the age of this thread but its from 2003.
Oops nope I didnt, sorry :(

Alysser
09-04-2006, 07:34 PM
Jessika, lol don't be sorry, I'm surprised I noticed. I was about to reply but then looked at the date.

If you want to start a new thread there is a button in the corner that says "New thread". :)