PDA

View Full Version : Any Information about Maine Coon cats would be gratefully received.

PayItForward
07-08-2003, 02:06 PM
:D

ScantyNebula
07-08-2003, 02:09 PM
omg are you getting another cat???

PayItForward
07-08-2003, 02:19 PM
No, cos Steve will leave home.

But I was just reading about Twinky (4 years old) on a UK forum

http://www.wellymedia.f9.co.uk/kittycorner/images/twink3.gif

http://www.wellymedia.f9.co.uk/kittycorner/images/twinky1.gif

PayItForward
07-08-2003, 02:24 PM
Is Twinky a Maine Coon or is he a moggie cat ?

Well he is beautiful what ever he is.

catlover4ever
07-08-2003, 02:26 PM
What sort of information are you looking for?

Lerah021399
07-08-2003, 02:28 PM
http://www.cfainc.org/breeds/profiles/articles/maine.html

http://www.cfainc.org/breeds/profiles/maine.html

http://www.fanciers.com/breed-faqs/maine-coon-faq.html

http://www.moggies.co.uk/breeds/maine.html

These are different links to some articles that I found. I had a Maine Coon when I was young. They are great cats...great personalities, very loveable, great w/ kids and other cats. They can grow to be 20+ pounds. If I were to get another cat, it would definitely be a Maine Coon!

jenluckenbach
07-08-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by PayItForward

Then you will have room for more cats............:p Hee hee hee :D

RedHedd
07-08-2003, 02:41 PM
:D My Mishi is a Maine Coon. What a personality! My big boy (13 lbs. and still growing! :eek: ) Mishi (a shortened variation of the Yiddish word Mishugenah meaning totally nuts) is kooky, crazy, very playful and entertaining, a gentle giant kitten. Beautiful, soft, long silky fur which requires very little grooming and what a gorgeous tail! I've always wanted a Maine Coon since seeing kittens at a cat show. When I saw his picture as a rescue on Petfinder.com I knew he was meant to be MY cat and now he is. I love my big boy! :p

PayItForward
07-08-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by catlover4ever
What sort of information are you looking for?
Is Twinky a Maine Coon or not ?

Do they get on with moggy cats ?

Are there any issues / behaviour or physical to watch out for peculiar to the breed ?

--------------------------------

I am just wondering why someone wants to rehome a 4 year old Maine Coon cat, with the comment. 'As he is a good hunter and very timid with people ?'

They already have a 5 year old Maine Coon cat which they are keeping and are looking for a ragdoll or meezer to replace Twinky ?

I just can't believe 'being a very timid cat and a good hunter' can result in rehoming. I was just wondering if there is something she isn't saying. :(

Lerah021399.....Thanks for the links I'll go for a reading session shortly

PayItForward
07-08-2003, 02:59 PM
I might have to stop visiting UK cat forums as well as shelters, shelters online pages & bramble bushes(;)).

I am just too soft hearted, to hear stories without getting too involved. This is my main problem in life, I can't be the bystander, I have to stand up and try and save the world (cats).

But I'll be fine on Pet Talk, I can just look at USA kitties, even I won't travel THAT far for a cat.

wolfsoul
07-08-2003, 03:09 PM
I LOVE maine coons. They are the one of the most affectionate breeds ever. I used to have one. They just love to be pet, and have the cutest little mews.

They get to be HUGE. Mine wasn't that big, but I knew one that got up to 31 pounds, and another 23 pounds. Their eyes are beautiful. Usually this blue green colour.

They are my favourite kind of cat. :)

RedHedd
07-08-2003, 03:37 PM
a timid Maine Coon? Has it been mistreated? The breed is very social and generally they are not timid cats. Mishi is very assertive, but not aggressive. Despite his huge size, he's very gentle with little Mitzi. Mitzi is/was scared of him because of his size, but she's coming around to learn that he's just a big playful goofball. He's very gentle with her. It's so cute to see him nuzzling and licking her.

PayItForward
07-08-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by RedHedd
a timid Maine Coon? Has it been mistreated? The breed is very social and generally they are not timid cats.

The current owners adopted him at a rescue centre at 4 months old, no history on him before that age.

lailamara
07-08-2003, 05:22 PM
I wonder if there could be behavioural problems like spraying , peeing, pooping out of the box or scratching the furniture. Some people are not willing to work out these issues with their cats. They don't deserve to have a pet. Hope this handsome kitty finds the wonderful home he deserves.

PayItForward
07-08-2003, 05:23 PM
The owner (who I rang tonight) said there is no problems apart from being timid and hunting ?

I too hope he gets a nice home, before he gets to the shelter (He is on a shelter list, I hope it is no kill, I might have to ring back and check)

Fox-Gal
07-08-2003, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
I LOVE maine coons. They are the one of the most affectionate breeds ever. I used to have one. They just love to be pet, and have the cutest little mews.

They are my favourite kind of cat. :)

Mine also love to be petted.....if I walk by and my hand is anywhere close to them, they will streach their heads out just to get me to pet them. Their head goes straight to the hand.

Both of mine, will bite your hand though if your not petting them in the right spot and move their body in the position they want you to pet them.

They are a wonderful cat.....but very set in their ways and very independent. I don't know about others, but my two don't get along with the other cats that well. No fights, but if any of the others get to close....the hissing starts. Their also roof cats....when they do go out they go straight to the roof of the house. Husband even made them steeps to the roof. They will stay up there all day, till they are ready to come in. Knock on the door when the want in.

And before any one says anything....I know most of you think it's wrong that cats are outside. My sitution if a little different then most though. Their ok....promise.

NoahsMommy
07-08-2003, 08:30 PM
My No-No is a maine coon!!! I love the breed, I would say its my favorite...due to their personality.

What I know, based on Noah:

*VERY independant, but, loves LOVE
*Mouthy...like what Fox-Gal is saying. Too much petting makes him walk away if its not in his terms.
*My Noah hates other people if the touch him, but I think that's cause we didn't have many visitors when he was a kitten.
*Tolerate other cats, but I know Noah would be the happiest cat in the world if he were our only cat
*VERY gentle to the baby kittens we've gotten, but that may be a male thing
*Calls out to me a lot....so cute!
*Very fuzzy, furry. The ear tufts give Twinky away as a maine coon
*He's pretty much really laid back around us...prefers to be home, on the couch.
*BIG! Noah is like a lion...very lean, but has huge paws and body structure

krazyaboutkatz
07-08-2003, 11:42 PM
The owner (who I rang tonight) said there is no problems apart from being timid and hunting ?

I too hope he gets a nice home, before he gets to the shelter (He is on a shelter list, I hope it is no kill, I might have to ring back and check) Okay, so when are you going to bring him home? ;)

My Storm is a Maine Coon mix. He's a very friendly social cat and loves attention. He gets along fairly well with other cats. Right now he has 3 brothers and is only having problems with Cirrus. He's the first cat that I've owned on my own and he picked me. :D I love him very much and I'm so glad that we found each other. :)

Ally Cat's Mommy
07-09-2003, 06:45 AM

Someone (who shall remain nameless) is having a Birthday VERY SOON..........What are you going to give him??????

I know...............................

How about a Maine Coon????????

Hehehehehe:D

catmandu
07-09-2003, 09:46 AM
Moose the Magnificent is a maine Coon , AND EXCEPT FOR HIS BATTLES WITH THE homeless he is one of the biggest , gentlest cats that you would ever want to meet, Maine Coons are the ST.Bernards of the Cat World , very gentle and loving!

RedHedd
07-09-2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by catmandu
Moose the Magnificent is a maine Coon , AND EXCEPT FOR HIS BATTLES WITH THE homeless he is one of the biggest , gentlest cats that you would ever want to meet, Maine Coons are the ST.Bernards of the Cat World , very gentle and loving!

LOL! St. Bernards of the Cat World! I've never thought of them that way, but how aptly put! NOTE to self: Must get Mishi one of those Barrel thingies. :D

lbaker
07-10-2003, 08:13 AM
today's CatoftheDay is a Maine Coon, check it out

carole
07-10-2003, 09:57 PM
payitforward you are showing a lot of interest in TWINKY are you sure you are not seriously thinking about adopting this maine coone, I know little about them except they are one of the most beautiful cats I have ever seen and would be very proud to own one.
It is not too far away until AUGUST , hint hint hint. hehehe:) :D

PayItForward
07-11-2003, 05:37 AM
I would love to be owned by one but we already have too many cats in our house.

Also our cats haven't settled properly from the kits yet.

As long as Twinky gets a good home, I'll be happy. I have been trying to encourage a girl on the UK forum to take him (She only has one cat not sure if she is ready for two).

I just didn't like the idea of him ending up at a shelter or worst yet a kill shelter. I'm just to soft hearted to hear about cats needing homes.