PDA

View Full Version : A soldier called Fluffy...

Albea
07-08-2003, 12:26 PM
From the "Best Friends" magazine:

"Never leave a fallen comrade" is a motto of the Special Forces. And SFC Russell Joyce, former Ranger and now Special Forces sergeant, says this applies to the dog with whom he worked in Iraq.
"My team requested a dog for operational purposes," said Sgt. Joyce. "The Kurds brought us a German shepherd that had been obviously abused and neglected by the Iraqui military( :mad: no wonder, after what they did to their own people) I became his handler, and grew deeply attached to him. He was used in many combat operations in northern Iraq and proved to be a wonderful soldier."
When it was time for Sgt. Joyce to return home, he obtained the necessary paperwork for Fluffy, as his canine comrade was now known, to came back too. But the a problem arose when Fluffy was designated a "pet", ineligible for transport to the U.S. "The military asked for this dog to serve," argued Sgt. Joyce. "He lived through two shooting, mine fields, and all military actions in the North. Now, they are ready to discard him. I can't let this happen."
When Joyce failed to break through the command barrier, he called his really tough troops: his parents. Mom and Dad got to their computer and began moving up the chain of command on behalf of Fluffy, until they reached right to the top with a letter to General Tommy Franks at Central Command. Meanwhile, the story went all over the Internet, and friends and well-wishers flooded Congress with requests to help. "I had 32 senators call my home," said a very grateful Sgt. Joyce.
Fluffy got his papers, and was home with Sgt. Joyce at the beginning of June.
Congratulations and thanks to Sgt, Joyce, his mom and dad for giving Fluffy a happy, loving, forever home after his devoted services to the U.S.

tatsxxx11
07-08-2003, 12:52 PM
I think this is the same Fluffy I saw on the news a while back! It highlighted the happy homecoming!:) What a great story! Welcome to the U.S.A., Fluffy!! (He should be given an honorary rank!!:))

lovemyshiba
07-08-2003, 01:21 PM
What a wonderful story!!!
Fluffy sounds like an incredible dog, I am so happy he was able to come home!!

Logan
07-08-2003, 02:08 PM
Just this morning, I was thinking about Fluffy, and wondering what the outcome was, Alicia. And you provided the info!! Thanks for that, and thank goodness everyone got on their soapbox and didn't let it rest until Fluffy got home where he needed to be!!! :)

Logan