PDA

View Full Version : Voting for other's pets....

Cataholic
07-07-2003, 06:35 PM
For some reason, this always makes me sad. I love everyone's pets on here. I just voted for Nakita, who is one of the most beautiful pets in this world!!! I feel badly for the other people's pets..that don't get votes. It isn't that I don't want to vote for 'your' pet....who ever you are, but, what about the feelings of all the other people's pets?

Am I the only sap out here? Does anyone else feel like this? And, I swear, I DO want to vote for your pet, and I WANT your pet to win, I just don't want anyone else to lose....:(

captain
07-07-2003, 06:40 PM
Nope - I too am a sap ........... quiet a pathetic pair, aren't we!!?

KYS
07-07-2003, 06:51 PM
I feel the same way. I always feel bad when I vote.
I think about the owners of the pets that
do not win, and how they must feel.
The contest I like best would be a costume one.
That way you are picking the best dressed, and
not which pet physically looks the cutest etc.

wolfsoul
07-07-2003, 07:01 PM
I never feel bad when I vote because I never look at the results first, so I never know what to expect. :)

Whenever one of my pets gets bad (Leather usually lol) I just pretend to hate all the other contestants (Even though it's impossible!!) :rolleyes: I can be a pretty sore loser when it's a contest that I really think that my pet can win....But otherwise I don't really care...:D

Cookiebaker
07-07-2003, 07:02 PM
Oh I agree!!!! I hate entering my pets into contests, too, because they are so special to me, and I don't like to see them lose. :( I guess I'm an even bigger sap! :rolleyes:

tikeyas_mom
07-07-2003, 07:28 PM
I hate entering into contest because my pets hardly get any votes ever lol. it is mostly because my stupid web cam, it takes the crappiest pics in the worl. But I knw that my babies are the cutest ;). lol

binka_nugget
07-07-2003, 07:33 PM
I tend to vote for the pets that usually don't get alot of votes.

Whenever Kai's in a contest and doesn't win..I get a bit upset but then I just tell myself that he's still my special little angel.

micki76
07-07-2003, 07:40 PM
Never fails, I vote then I see the results and someone's pet has 0. Then I wish I had voted for them. :( :( :(

tikeyas_mom
07-07-2003, 08:07 PM
micki I feel the same way, but it was usually my pets that had the 0 count so I uped then one vote hee hee

Pam
07-07-2003, 08:15 PM
This brings up an interesting point. I have many, many times in the past voted for a Pet Talker's pet who is in a contest. Even though I have never met these any of them I feel I know them through their human's posts so they are special and have gotten my vote. The last few times I voted, though, I started to think of how unfair it is to vote for a pet who has a forum full of people helping to boost their numbers. I have been convicted that it's not fair to the others so I have refrained from doing any voting at all lately. I just feel that somehow it isn't right and the "win" is a bit unfair. Anyone else feel like this? (Sorry to all who have pets presently in contests. I'm not criticising you. It's just my own personal conviction).

primabella
07-07-2003, 08:16 PM
Geez I feel bad cause I hold a lot of these contests. I don't feel bad when Mickey doesn't win (he doesn't get a lot of votes either). It's just for fun...that's how I look at it. Well if you guys don't wanna hold contests anymore...:(

Barbara
07-07-2003, 08:28 PM
I never enter my pets in a contest because I know anyway they are the best and cutest and nicest and...

People who do know they can loose as well and "ours" have not always won (like Inka, as I remember).

It was easy to vote for Nakita, as she is one of the cutest kitties worldwide and it's also a fun thing -not to be taken too serious:)

micki76
07-07-2003, 08:41 PM
The funny thing is that I don't feel bad for the owner, I feel bad for the pet. Ya know, like the pet knows they're losing or have no votes? :rolleyes: Isn't that silly?

primabella
07-07-2003, 08:44 PM
But does this mean I should cancel the ears contest? I mean it's all in good fun...I don't want to hold a contest where we get like, 5 votes max and everyone else is against it.

Micki, That's how I would feel too. But I don't feel bad voting for pets. Like, I know it's a game...people who take it WAY to seriously really shouldn't be taking part in it. If they're going to hold a grudge against me because I didn't vote for them, or start crying because they didn't win, well that's just a bit far...what's gonna happen now?

Cataholic
07-07-2003, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by micki76
The funny thing is that I don't feel bad for the owner, I feel bad for the pet. Ya know, like the pet knows they're losing or have no votes? :rolleyes: Isn't that silly?

Ok, we are twins...cause I was thinking the exact same thing as I read Barbara's post...I don't care about the human...I care about the pet that got no votes...:(

Cataholic
07-07-2003, 08:47 PM
Prima, before you get all worked up thinking this might have been directed at you- it wasn't. I wasn't talking about the contests we hold here...ears, butts, whatever. I meant the online contests where you go and vote for one of the pets.....and all us PT'ers go and vote for 'our' pet...and then some poor little pet without the whole PT community behind it, gets no votes. That just makes me sad.

CathyBogart
07-07-2003, 08:48 PM
I don't feel bad if my pets don't win because the most important thing is that they're happy with me! If someone else thinks another pet is cuter than mine, or even if everyone else does, I don't mind! (plus, many of my pets are the kind that people would run away from before hugging)

That being said, I do wonder if people feel bad because their pet didn't get many votes.

primabella
07-07-2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
Prima, before you get all worked up thinking this might have been directed at you- it wasn't. I wasn't talking about the contests we hold here...ears, butts, whatever. I meant the online contests where you go and vote for one of the pets.....and all us PT'ers go and vote for 'our' pet...and then some poor little pet without the whole PT community behind it, gets no votes. That just makes me sad.

Oh I'm sorry. I got confused :o:o:o Don't I feel smart now ;) Thanks for explaining... :o

popcornbird
07-07-2003, 09:05 PM
I never submit my pets on online contests other than PT forum ones. The forums ones are just for fun and all of the the pets are PT pets, so it doesn't really count. :p As for people asking us to vote for *their* pets on other sites on a REAL contest, I agree with you Hoola Holic and I also feel bad about that. Also, there's sometimes a non-PT pet I want to vote for and then I feel bad not voting for the PT one. :o Anyway, just my 2 cents. I feel bad about this too.

KYS
07-07-2003, 09:08 PM
primabella, don't feel bad for holding contests,
I will still enter/vote at our Pet Talk sight.
(just not other sites)
I feel guilty about everything anyway. :)

primabella
07-07-2003, 09:15 PM
lol thanks Karen. I wasn't taking the thread to be directed at me anyways. I just saw how so many people felt guilty about voting and I didn't realize how many didn't agree with it. But as long as it's okay with everyone to hold them here...;)

I don't really go to vote for other pets anyway, unless they're PT pets. I knew a member from another board asking us to vote for her dog in the same contest a member here was asking us to vote for. I felt bad but I just made a decision, based on what I thought. Maybe I shouldn't hav voted at all. *shrug*

The contests here on PT are stupid things like ears, noses, butts...they don't count for anything so I don't people *should* take them seriously.

To get back with the subject, I would too feel bad voting for these pets. Another thing that 'helps' a pet win would be (stupid example) if you have a cute, fuzzy Golden Retriever puppy holding a flower in its mouth and then a senior hound sitting down (for example) it's a bit obvious who would get the most votes. That makes me feel bad.

Cookiebaker
07-07-2003, 09:23 PM
Primabella, don't take this thread as an attack against you, nor an attack against anybody else who chooses to put a contest up. You are more than welcome to, and everybody who chooses to is welcome to vote. If people don't like to see it, don't click on it!!

That being said, I *personally* don't like to submit my pets, and I don't always vote. But when I see one that is especially special, then I may vote. JMHO

Former User
07-08-2003, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by Pam
The last few times I voted, though, I started to think of how unfair it is to vote for a pet who has a forum full of people helping to boost their numbers. I have been convicted that it's not fair to the others so I have refrained from doing any voting at all lately. I just feel that somehow it isn't right and the "win" is a bit unfair. Anyone else feel like this? (Sorry to all who have pets presently in contests. I'm not criticising you. It's just my own personal conviction).

Pam, I've done the same lately, somehow, it's just doesn't feel fair anymore.
Of course I do support the Pet Talk pets, but can't vote anymore ;)

Vio&Juni
07-08-2003, 09:55 AM
I vote for the Pet Talk pets and actually, I always find that they are the best in the contest. Not that the others are not. I had the same thought about being unfair, though.
This time, I truely believe that Nakita and Kia were the greatest.
I submited one of Juni's pictures too. I will not cry if my picture is not on the first place. I only submitted because I THINK it's one of the greatest Juni's picture and I wanted to share it (the picture). It's actually the picture that wins, not the pet. OF COURSE, Juni is the winner of my heart and if other people like to see pictures of her, it only makes me happy. What makes her happy, is to see me everyday, get a good fight with the doggy, scratch my arms from time to time and sleep on my head in the mornings :D

bluekat
07-08-2003, 10:04 AM
I feel bad too, because I think all the time, the Pet Talk pets always win, and its not fair for others :( I also feel bad for the pet that gets the least votes too, then I always think that I should've voted for them instead.

NYCbabi 13002
07-08-2003, 10:42 AM
I feel bad too, because I think all the time, the Pet Talk pets always win, and its not fair for others I also feel bad for the pet that gets the least votes too, then I always think that I should've voted for them instead
same here :(

Barbara
07-08-2003, 10:59 AM
Filou and Tigris would never mind if they lose: I envy them for their self-confidence.:D

So I am not sorry for the pets. Pets are much too intelligent to take these contests too seriously:D

aly
07-08-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Cataholic
Prima, before you get all worked up thinking this might have been directed at you- it wasn't. I wasn't talking about the contests we hold here...ears, butts, whatever.

How'd I miss the butt contest? :eek:

I always get really upset when my animals barely get any votes. But I must like to torture myself because I always enter them again and get my feelings hurt all over. I also feel bad voting for one over the other, but then again, it is for fun so I try not to be too emotional about it!

aly
07-08-2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Vio&Juni
It's actually the picture that wins, not the pet.

Thats a great point I think we all should remember (especially me!).

Also, sometimes when my pets have lost by a landslide, I can't help but think the winner did a huge campaign to get people to vote. But thats okay. It doesn't really get me mad.

Originally posted by Vio&Juni
I submited one of Juni's pictures too.

Uh oh, I submitted one of Skylar's :D Now he's got some big competition!

catland
07-08-2003, 11:53 AM
Funny, I remember feeling just like this when I voted for our own lovely Nakita.

Then I thought - all the other pet owners could choose to "campaign" for their pets by sending emails to their friends and even asking their friends to send to other friends, and so on, and so on...

I think that its very unlikely that a person could just stumble across one of these contests and then think "hey, I think I'll vote" - I think most people are directed there by someone.

Finally, just a personal bias here, but our PT pets do have absolutely great photos! Maybe from lots of practice here at PT. The close-up of Nakita is stunning. So I decided that I don't feel bad anymore.:)

primabella
07-08-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by catland
I think that its very unlikely that a person could just stumble across one of these contests and then think "hey, I think I'll vote" - I think most people are directed there by someone.

Very true :)

lol aly :D It was a great contest ;)

It's actually the picture that wins, not the pet

Very very good point :)

catland
07-08-2003, 12:29 PM
All of us here at PT need remember Karen and Paul's reason for this website -

"we know every pet is special"

:D

so even if someone doesn't get a lot of votes for their pet, their pet is still just as special as all the others in the contest.:)

Vio&Juni
07-09-2003, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by aly
Uh oh, I submitted one of Skylar's :D Now he's got some big competition!

Skylar is such a cute and funny kitten! He should win. You have great photos of him :)

ramanth
07-09-2003, 08:42 AM
I feel the same way. :(

I wish I could vote for everyone at least once. I even feel guilty asking for votes..... but at the same time it's not every day that my kid's are in a contest.