PDA

View Full Version : I am a bad mom

Glacier
07-07-2003, 12:34 AM
oh, I am a bad doggy mom today. Last night, Franklin was involved in a little tussle in the pen. Didn't seem to be anything major, just a little disagreement. There are 15 dogs here--little tussles happen! Franklin had a small nick in his ear which I cleaned up and treated. Today, he seemed a little lethargic and not his usual hyper self. It was about 25C here today and he hasn't blown his winter yet, so I assumed he was hot and didn't pay too much attention. I made sure he was drinking and he had lots of access to shady spots. When I went out to feed tonight, he didn't come running for his moose meat--very unusual. So I go to heck on him--HUGE, gapping wound in his "armpit" on the right side. It's the size of a fist and oozing. How the )&()%@& did I miss that!!?

He's at the vet overnight, getting sewn up. I can pick him up at noon tomorrow.

Somedays I think I shouldn't be allowed to own goldfish!

Fuzzy317
07-07-2003, 12:44 AM
Recently, our alpha Eli, and a foster got into a little scuffle (we thought it was little). The foster dog was moved to a new foster home. A day or so later, we were petting Eli when he pulled back from the petting. We found a 5 inch (12 cm) gash on his side (his furr hid it). He got many stitches at the Emergency Vets, with a follow-up with our vet later. :(

Cookiebaker
07-07-2003, 05:51 AM
Yikes! That sounds scary!! Dogs sure have a way of hiding things, don't they??? glad you figured out what the problem was!

clara4457
07-07-2003, 06:38 AM
Don't be hard on yourself. When Leo and Penny Lane got into their fight, I missed a pretty severe puncture wound on her chest next to her front leg until the next morning. Once they were settled down a little, she would just lay down kind of curled up so that under part of her body was hidden.

You did exactly the right thing - the minute you found it, you immediately took Franklin to the vet. You are a great furmom!!! :)

tatsxxx11
07-07-2003, 06:40 AM
Poor Franklin:( But it's very understandable that you didn't see it straight off. You're NOT a a bad Mom!! My Cody is a Husky/Shep and I know, with those heavy, thick coats, it's easy to miss something like that! Well wishes for dear Franklin! Feel better soon, sweetie!:)

anna_66
07-07-2003, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by Glacier
Somedays I think I shouldn't be allowed to own goldfish!
Oh please, you know your a good doggie mom! You can't always be expected to see everything. At least now he is getting fixed up and will hopefully be just fine when he comes home.
{{{HUGS}}} for Franklin

primabella
07-07-2003, 08:03 AM
Don't blame yourself. As long as everything works out with Franklin in the end, you have nothing to worry about. :)

Tonya
07-07-2003, 08:22 AM
Awww, Glacier. Don't feel bad. We aren't perfect. I hope the puppy heals up well!

I did someting similar with my son a few years ago. He was horsing around and he fell. I was standing right there and he looked fine, so I sent him to his room for running in the house. A few minutes later he starts screaming in his room. I run in there, and there is blood everywhere. He needed 6 staples in his head, I guess the wound just took a few minutes to bleed. I felt horrible!!!:eek:

ramanth
07-07-2003, 11:13 AM
Don't be so hard on yourself. *hugs*

I'm glad that Franklin will be better soon.

CathyBogart
07-07-2003, 11:41 AM
It's not your fault! It took me several days to find that Star had injured her dewclaw, and that was in plain sight! 0.0

KYS
07-07-2003, 06:26 PM
I agree, you are not a bad mom.
With all that fur, it could be easily missed.
Get Well wishes for Franklin.

DoggiesAreTheBest
07-07-2003, 06:44 PM
Don't be so hard on yourself. You aren't too blame. The important thing is that Franklin is on the mend. Hugs to the lil guy!

Twisterdog
07-08-2003, 12:29 AM
Ah, we've all done that. Once Lacie and Queenie got in a fight (in their younger days), and I didn't realize that Lacie had bit Queenie right above the tail ... until it filled with blood to about the size of a lemon. Nasty! I felt horrible, but hey ... dogs have fur!

And .... FIFTEEN dogs?! Hee hee hee .... you have so outnumbered me lately .... I have ten now! :D :D

Glacier
07-08-2003, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Twisterdog

And .... FIFTEEN dogs?! Hee hee hee .... you have so outnumbered me lately .... I have ten now! :D :D

Well, three are fosters! yup, they are and I am just going to keep telling myself that!:p They are still fosters after a year aren't they?

lovemyshiba
07-08-2003, 01:18 PM
You're not a bad mom--15 doggies would beg to differ, I'm sure.

When Abbey and Kito had their "scuffle" a few months ago, after I broke it up, I ran to Kito, thinking he was hurt. I was so busy checking him out, that I didn't notice the huge gash in Abbey's leg for a little while:eek:

many hugs and kisses to Franklin!!