PDA

View Full Version : Parakeets

wolf_Q
07-06-2003, 10:42 PM
My brother and his wife got a parakeet a few days ago. He's a bluish color, and his name is Peety. :) They bought a nice cage with toys, treats, etc. I was just there when they bought him, I haven't seen him again..but next time I do I'll take pics.

Just wondering if anyone has some good tips/info on caring for parakeets, and maybe some websites...in case he ever has some questions.

popcornbird
07-06-2003, 10:59 PM
How cool! :D

www.birdsnways.com is a great website with very helpful articles as well as several chat boards. Its basically for *all* birds, not specifically for parakeets. I'll have too look for some parakeet sites because I mostly know of cockatiel ones, but I'll offer some advice here.

Its very important to spend time with the bird so it gets used to people and becomes tame. Wings should be trim when the bird is new until it gets used to its humans and its surroundings. This helps keep the bird safe from flying into any dangers. If the bird's wings aren't already trim, I know many Petco's and Petsmarts do this for a small charge. Other than pet stores, vets also provide this service.

When a bird comes home, its important to take it to an avian vet for a well birdie check up. The vet should check the bird and make sure its a healthy little fella. This is as imprtant with birds as it is with any other new pet.

Most birds are young when they just come home, about 3-6 months. This is the best age to tame the bird and get them used to eating a healthy and complete diet. Apart from seeds, its imprtant that birds are fed fresh veggies, pellets, and other foods such a boiled rice, whole wheat bread, popcorn (no butter or salt), cuttlebone (very important especially for females), etc. along with fresh clean water available at all times. Things that you should NEVER give a bird include chocolate, avacado, alcohols, and several other foods, but the 3 listed are deadly and the most dangerous.

Pet birds require exercise and out of the cage time. They should be provided with plenty of toys to keep them from getting bored. Bored birdies can get into trouble (like tearing homework.............Popcorn did that to my brother last year and he had to print it all over again). :eek: Out of the cage time is very important for any bird's health, and they should never be confined to the cage only. If its not possible to give the birds the choice to go in and out at all times (like mine) they should get at least 1 hour + out of the cage time on daily basis. Birds very much enjoy playing out of their cage, but its also important to keep an eye on them so they don't chew on wires or other dangerous items.

Teflon/nonstick pots/pans are dangerous when heated to a high temperature. Its best to use stainless steel pots and pans in a bird household, but if you must use non-stick, the bird should be taken to the room furthest from the kitchen with the windows open. Self cleaning an oven can be deadly if done around a bird. The bird should be FAR from the kitchen, but best not at home when self cleaning an oven in a bird household. Do not use perfumes, chemicals, etc around the bird. Hope this helps! :D

wolfsoul
07-06-2003, 11:00 PM
Congrats on your bro's new parakeet!

Here's a good site :)

http://www.animaladventurepets.com/Parakeets.htm

Tweety_Pie
07-06-2003, 11:20 PM
i have 2 parakeets their names are Tweety and Dexter (they are in my sig). I got alot of good information from

http://www.letstalkbirds.com/budgie.htm and www.budgies.org

wolf_Q
08-15-2003, 11:19 PM
Thanks everyone! I just saw Peety last week. Unfortunately I was a dope and forgot my digital camera. :( He seems to be doing ok. He's kind of a brat, but they take him out of the cage every day and are working with him. I had him sitting on my finger for a few seconds. :) I guess somebody told them he'd bond with them faster if they removed his mirrors--that he'd think the mirrors were other birds--does this help at all?

popcornbird
08-15-2003, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by wolf_Q
Thanks everyone! I just saw Peety last week. Unfortunately I was a dope and forgot my digital camera. :( He seems to be doing ok. He's kind of a brat, but they take him out of the cage every day and are working with him. I had him sitting on my finger for a few seconds. :) I guess somebody told them he'd bond with them faster if they removed his mirrors--that he'd think the mirrors were other birds--does this help at all?

For single birds, its recommended not to have mirrors because they may bond with it more than their owners. This is not always the case but it depends on the birds. My birds have 3 mirrors in their cage but they think nothing of them other than toys to bang their heads on. :o I guess its because they're a pair that they don't care for mirrors much. Parakeets are known to fall in love with mirrors, as a general rule, so I would suggest removing it if he's falling in love with it, or at least until he's fully tame. We do need pics though, so forgetting will not be an accepted excuse next time. :p:p

wolf_Q
08-15-2003, 11:32 PM
Yeah, they did removed the mirrors earlier, I haven't heard back about how it's working. They said that he did seem to talk to his mirrors quite a bit.....course he's a noisy little bugger anyway. ;)

I'll be sure to bring the camera next time I see him, but it may be a while...I don't get up to their apartment very often.