PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Stats about Pet Ownership in the US

Pam
07-06-2003, 01:46 PM
I was just reading a column in my local Sunday paper about pet ownership. Here are some interesting statistics:

In 2001 Americans cared for 61.6 million dogs and 68.9 million cats, a 16% jump since 1996.

Almost half of all pet owners (46.9%) consider pets as members of their families. I am personally surprised that this isn't higher!

51% consider them their companions, while 2.2% consider them property. :mad:

New Jersey, my state, ranks 50th in the percentage of homes with cats and 48th in the percentage of homes with dogs. Even so, 1.1 million dogs and cats live in the Garden State. :)

Pet owners make 117 million visits to the vet each year and spend more than $17 billion in the process. More than 83% of dog owners visit the vet at least once a year (and spend an average of $178) but only 65% of cat owners do (and they spend $83). I am guessing that since most people in the US (at least in my area) keep their kitties inside, and may not feel the need for routine veterinary care, this is probably the reason. :( :(

One half of renters have pets as do nearly one half of families with incomes below $20,000.

Though the pet population is increasing, the number of purebred registrations dropped 18.9% for dogs and 46.2% for cats since 1996.

Interesting! :)

KYS
07-06-2003, 02:09 PM
Interesting stats. I was dissapointed that the pet
population was increasing. Does that mean BYB's/puppymills
are on the the rise, since registered purebred dogs are on the decline?
SPAY and NEUTER!!

I can state that we at Pet Talk contribute
to the $17 billion for our pets. :)

Cincy'sMom
07-06-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by KYS

I can state that we at Pet Talk contribute
to the $17 billion for our pets. :)

Put me down for $1 billion of that :p

I had seen that info before and thought is was interesting. I think (and maybe I missed it in your post, Pam) that there was a stat about multi-pet homes....something like people with dogs, were more likely to have 2 or 3, then people with other pets.

CattleDogMom
07-06-2003, 02:36 PM
Those Stats are scary still, if you think about it.

I will take them all!!!!

Cookiebaker
07-06-2003, 08:11 PM
I found that very interesting! Thanks for sharing!