PDA

View Full Version : My weird hermit crab "twilight zone" moment.

cocker_luva
07-06-2003, 10:54 AM
today after i was done eating my breakfast of eggs, i went to put the leftover eggs to my hermit crabs, since they are considered "scavenger" animals.

then i noticed that one of my biggest hermit crabs was killed, literally, he was torn apart. :(

my biggest, eldest hermit crab, Mimi also switched shells. *my theory is that Mimi wanted Titan's shell and then she pulled him out of his shell and killed him. but then she went into another open shell. Titan was killed for no reason!!!

also there was a de-shelled hermit crab in the crabitat. i took out the hermies with shells and counted them... ok 6. but then there was the de-shelled crab (...7) and the dead crab (...8)

ok that makes 8 hermit crabs (alive and dead:( ) but i only had 7 to begin with! :confused: :confused: :confused:

so what happened???:rolleyes:

Tonya
07-06-2003, 03:02 PM
Lol. Sounds like someone was making babies. I don't know a whole lot about hermit crabs. They seem like they'd be really interesting to have though. I am sorry to hear that you lost a few. :confused:

cocker_luva
07-06-2003, 03:19 PM
they didn't have any babies, i read that they breed and, i think, give birth (however they do it) in the ocean. that's why it is hard to breed them in captivity. they the ones that died where full grown!!! :rolleyes: :) :p they couldn't be babies. i would like it though if i could get babies, breed them, whatever. ;)

Tonya
07-06-2003, 06:05 PM
Maybe one of the naughty boys snuck his girlfriend in then. lol

cocker_luva
07-07-2003, 12:22 PM
also last night i found another open shell that wasn't open earlier. i was scared that Tawny shared the same fate as Titan and was frantically looking for her, but it turned out that when Mimi switched shells, that Tawny took over Mimi's old shell. :rolleyes: oooooh that was close. :eek:

07-21-2003, 06:27 PM
Maybe it did have babies and the egg was hidden in the sand. or i am wondering if you left the crab in the cage after it died? and it came back to life or at least it didn't die