PDA

View Full Version : Freakin' Sunburn...

ChloeLove
07-05-2003, 09:04 PM
I have THE WORST sunburn on my arms, back, HANDS, and FEET, and the worst is on my shoulders. I can't sleep, put clothes on, and it hurts to lift my arms up.
I spent July 4th from 12:00 PM to July 5th at like 8:00 on my friend's boat and it has been so sunny. I used tons of sunscreen, but it didn't work one bit! I tried using some aloe spray...nothing...pure aloe...nothing! It hurts to the point where I literally cannot do anything! Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to relieve this really, really, really bad pain? I alos have heat rash...:( On my face too, but not too bad.

Nomilynn
07-05-2003, 09:13 PM
If it's really that bad you might want to see a doctor. Especially if it starts to blister.. you could have a second degree burn there. For the pain, I've heard the best thing is aspirin. You also might want to try sitting in cool water.. anything to draw the heat OUT of your skin. That always works for me.. sitting in a bathtub of cool water. Also.. ice packs or anything like that would help too. I burn VERY easily and really the only thing that works is time, but drawing the heat out of your skin will help a lot, and take some aspirin or some tylenol, and hopefully it will be tolerable enough to let you sleep :)

Karen
07-05-2003, 09:14 PM
A cool bath with baking soda in the water ...

ChloeLove
07-05-2003, 09:34 PM
Thanks so much, I am definately gonna try those ideas. I burn so easily :(

GoldenRetrLuver
07-05-2003, 09:57 PM
Oh, i know how you feel, I burn easily too!... cold bath with TONS of ice or an icy cold shower does the trick for me....Feel better! :)

micki76
07-05-2003, 10:23 PM
OUCH!! Boy, have I been there!!! NOXZEMA!!! It really does work. I've been slathered in it from head to toe too many times to count. Hope you feel better tomorrow.

wolfsoul
07-05-2003, 11:41 PM
I like everyone's ideas. :)

How about some chamomile lotion? Or maybe witch hazel?

Kfamr
07-05-2003, 11:45 PM
They have after sun lotion and things like that you could go and buy but personally it always makes me feel worst.

Cold bath or shower does it for me as well.

Nomilynn
07-05-2003, 11:47 PM
I've actually heard that some lotions and things like that DO make things worse because it covers the burn and traps the heat IN.. I've always used Aloe and I also use Solarcaine. It has aloe and a pain killer right in it.. it's a spray. I've heard it's bad but I use it anyway because it really calms the burn down. However, I have always found Noxema to make me feel worse because it keeps the heat in. I hope you find something that works well for you!

LoudLou
07-05-2003, 11:48 PM
Well, I can honestly say I FEEL YOUR PAIN... as I sit here at my computer. My arms and face covered in NOXEMA!!!! And it as micki76 said It really does work!... I am DEFINETLY not a summer person!.... When does fall get here!;)

Ibprofen also helps.

So here are some remedies I found on the web:

Various Natural/HomeMade Remedies

1. Apply undiluted apple cider vinegar to sunburn.
2. Mix 10 ounces Non-fat Dry Milk, 2 tablespoons salt and 25 ounces water. Saturate cloth and apply to sunburn 20 minutes.
3. Apply mayonnaise as a skin cream to sunburn.
4. Use Aloe plant, or pure aloe vera gel.
5. Apply peanut oil to sun-burned area(s).
6. Apply thin slices of cold, raw cucumbers, apples, or potato directly to the skin.
7. Apply cold, plain yogurt, then rinse with cool water.
8. Apply cold, used tea bags to sun-burned eyelids to relieve pain and swelling.
http://www.classbrain.com/artfamily/publish/article_34.shtml

Feel better soon.

lynnestankard
07-06-2003, 08:51 AM
Just one that LoudLou forgot!! Apply sliced tomato to the sunburned parts - it really does work - Don had to use it in Spain last year - we were astonished at how quickly it worked!
Good Luck - sunburn is so horrible.

Lynne

Airedalekisses
07-06-2003, 09:19 AM
ah, you poor baby-I am the palest person on the face of the earth-one shade lighter and I'd be transparent-when I burned the doctor said take 3 cups of milk and put in a cool bath and soak for a while and then Solarcaine cream when you dry off.

tatsxxx11
07-06-2003, 09:52 AM
Everyone else has covered most of the bases. I'd suggest you definitley take an anti-inflammatory such as aspirin or Ibuprofen. Solarcaine is an exellent choice for the pain and "heat." If you start getting that "tingling" sensation under your skin, definitely try soaking in a bath of tepid water with cornstarch or ommercial "oatmeal" bath grannules; and cucumber slices on your eyes. Covering burns with any type of oil or "fat" that doesn't allow the heat to escape, it usually not recommended while you're still in the "criticial" stage!! And I too have always found Noxzema to be a miracle cure! It has menthol and camphor in it; very colling and soothing! Feel better soon! Being fair skinned too, I feel your pain:(

ChloeLove
07-06-2003, 10:54 AM
Thanks SOO much!! I'm going to get Noxzema today and try them out. Now the burns are itching like crazy!

primabella
07-06-2003, 11:03 AM
We did this in French class. They said something like you should take a sponge and fill it with cold, cold water. Then dab it on your burns. Then take a cold bath...I can't remember the rest :( Good luck though. Sunburn really sucks.