PDA

View Full Version : ~~~~Doggie Safety~~~~

CattleDogMom
07-05-2003, 06:52 PM
Just curious:

Do any of you use safety harnesses/devices while traveling in the vehicle? I went and bought Casey one of those Safety Belt Harnesses that can be used as a regular harnes, and has a loop at the top to put the seat belt through. I did this because this dumb jerk cut me off the other night and I had to swerve real sharp and casey sort of went flying. I figured if I put my kids in seat belts, why wouldn't I put my fur-baby in one?

So, I bought the Aspen Pet brand.

Denyce
07-05-2003, 07:50 PM
I am so glad you got one. We don't have dogs right now, just cats and they always travel in their carriers. However, when I was growing up we had a collie and she was always seatbelted in with her own safety harnes. That was way back in the 60's. I hate it when I see people driving about with their dogs in the beds of pickups. *shudder*

I was reading in a recent Reader's Digest about how many dangers there are in your car that you don't even realize. One woman was killed by a CD case that struck her in the head. Anything that is not secured in your car can become a missle in a traffic accident. That includes cell phones, soda bottles, CD's, books and groceries. It is scary when you think about that and then look in the back of your car. I know I don't want my cats becoming missles. So they always ride in their carriers and the carrierer seatbelted on the seat.

Denyce

Tonya
07-05-2003, 08:33 PM
Teddy and the cats ride in carriers. Denyce, I hate it when I see dogs in the back of trucks too. My dogs are so big that I don't have a choice though. I have them fashioned pretty safely in there though. There's a chain that runs across the back of the truck. They are chained to the middle so that they cannot jump out and/or hang themselves. Another danger that people don't realize is Cornea damage. Dogs who hang their heads over the side or out the windows get hit in the eyes by bugs and particles. Over time, their corneas get damaged.

CattleDogMom
07-05-2003, 09:31 PM
I would imagine the wind alone would cause corneal damage over time. I know I don't like wind in my eyes. And isn't that why people wear goggles on motorcycles?

And Denyce:
I do the same for my cats...carrier and seatbelt...except for once, when we just went up the streat to the McD's tp get them an icecream. (Don't ask...Daddy's thing.)

Crystal

iceyshiver21
07-06-2003, 12:50 AM
All our pups stay in carriers, also seatbelted to the seat.

RubyMutt
07-06-2003, 12:52 AM
I also have an Aspen brand Canine Seat Belt for Ruby. She hated it the first time I put it on her, but she doesn't mind it at all now.

CattleDogMom
07-06-2003, 12:55 AM
LOL....I put the harness on Casey this afternoon to get him used to it because we're going bye bye tomorrow. It took me 20 minutes just to get the darn thing on him! He wouldn't sit still! He was trying to get his doggiedanna off more than the harness though.:rolleyes: