PDA

View Full Version : They want Pjevs out! :(

Randi
07-04-2003, 05:09 PM
I just feel like posting some pics of sweet, sweet Pjevs in our backyard. He has lived there for more than 12 years (longer than any of us!) and has his soft blanketed house there. We feed him every evening, sommer, winter, holiday, X-mas etc. - and mostly also during the day. And we - or should I say I, wash his bedlinen and he's having a great time in the yard. He is the most trusting and sweet cat I've ever come across!. We may loose him. I'm feeling very, very sad. :( It's some other people in the building who wants him gone - because of their spoiled children who they think is everything in this world. :mad: I'm furious and sad/mad!!

I, or most likely John will post the whole story if it happens. :( I know I'll be in no state to post for a while after.

Please send positive vibes that he can stay - he is just the sweetest!!

Well, here he is:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid20/p310d5b82cbd3b7b6d16acec1ad27e9cb/fdc01764.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid20/p699ae2134aa4d82571e21fa1727bf57e/fdc01765.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid20/pcddb9238664a63aa22becf6a59515825/fdc0172c.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid46/pc1f9fe06c391f4411342b53f2fab91bb/fcd05737.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid19/p3d641160c531954dd126e0346189868a/fdc149f0.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid20/pf6381cfe28e932000f51d9c401fbfa74/fdc01762.jpg

ScantyNebula
07-04-2003, 05:18 PM
This is so upsetting .. I really hope Pjevs can stay :( He sounds like such a wonderful cat and it would be a shame for him to leave you .. :( I wish you luck -- Pjevs stays!! :mad:

slick
07-04-2003, 05:19 PM
What a beauty! I just want to rub that belly. Is there no way you can find a permanent indoor home for him?? I guess being outdoors for 12 yrs he's probably used to it. What does the children have to do with the kitty???? They are not living under the same roof. Are they afraid Pjevs is going to harm them??.....I don't get it.

Karen
07-04-2003, 06:55 PM
Pjevs should stay! Can you get a petition signed by caring neighbors? What hazard is he posing thpose children? None! He's the grand old man of the neighborhood, handsome and formally dressed by nature - how could anyone oust him?

zippy-kat
07-04-2003, 09:08 PM
:(

He's so beautiful... I'm especially fond of his toes!

Sending positive thoughts your way!!

shais_mom
07-04-2003, 09:11 PM
prayers and sending good vibes your way!

lizbud
07-04-2003, 09:33 PM
I remember Pjevs, you've written about him often, Why must he
leave? Who says so? Is your outside garden area a shared
space with others in your building? I'm guessing this is true.
I'd bring him inside (house & all) before I'd let strangers haul
him off to a strange place. If he's sweet & trusting and been in
the same place THAT long, it would be a sin & a shame to have him ousted from the only place he's ever felt safe and cared for.:(

Miss Meow
07-04-2003, 10:00 PM
What a dreadful attitude from the kids' parents! How will they learn compassion and kindness from such a poisonous attitude??? :mad: :mad:

I hope there's some way that Pjevs can remain where he's safe and cared for.

krazyaboutkatz
07-05-2003, 12:28 AM
This is such sad news. :( I sure hope that Pjevs will be able to stay. Since he's been living there for over 12 years now, there must be something that can be done to allow him to stay. He's such a handsome cat and looks so happy. Prayers and positive thoughts are coming your way. Please keep us updated.

Cinder & Smoke
07-05-2003, 01:33 AM
After 12 years - Pjevs SHOULD have some rights!

How many Flats share your back yard?
Hopefully more than just You and the "we don't want Pjevs to stay" family?

Even if there are only two families involved - there have to be *Other Neighbors* who will speak up for Pjevs. I'd pass the word to EVERYone in the neighborhood - and consider a Signed Petition to be presented to your Landlord! If the Landlord sees LOTS of names of folks who love having Pjevs there - he might be willing to speak to the complainers and tell them that either HE Stays - or "they can leave"! :p

And what's their *beef* (complaint) against Pjevs?
Not like an Older, Feral Cat is going to exactly "Attack" their kid!

One *scary* thought...
Are the Pjevs Haters so upset about his living there that they
might :eek: try to harm him?
Consider his safety - "moving" next door would be better than his getting hurt if there is any possibility they might do something to him.

We all hope this problem can be resolved without forcing Pjevs to relocate!

Barbara
07-05-2003, 04:59 AM
It looks as if these neighbors claim Pjevs had peed in the sand box where the children play. However Randi says she has seen him peeing in the drain. She believes it's another tom roaming there (the one who had a fight with Fister a year ago or so -I don't know the details but he belongs to somebody and from his behavior I would think it's not sure whether he's fixed).

I hope so strongly that there are more people there who understand how cruel it would be to an elder cat.

:mad:

ChrisH
07-05-2003, 08:17 AM
Sending prayers and positive thoughts for Pjevs.

Randi
07-05-2003, 09:27 AM
When we moved in to this building in 1994, Pjevs was here already. He was a grown cat (to me he looked at least 1-2 years old) he slept in an old pram someone had left. At that time a woman fed him, she told us that someone had moved and left him behind. :(

Some of us living in the building, started feeding him also, and therefore met in the yard and got to know each other. There were 5 of us and we decided to do something about the situation. We built 2 houses and put them by the house with the bins. Fister’s mom had arrived at some point after that, I don’t quite remember when – and there were another black cat there. Well, Pjevs is the only one left, but over the last few years, people with cats have moved in and let them out. One of them is a big problem! He has started fights with at least 3 that I have seen – Fister included (not with Pjevs though, as far as we know) This one cat looks a lot like Pjevs and he is peeing everywhere. We have had a “talk”!! with the mom of this cat, but she can’t see the problem. Now it seems she has ruined it for Pjevs! :(

The woman who started feeding him died a few years ago and two has since moved, so we are just two families left (a young couple) to feed Pjevs. We talked to them about this and they are equally upset! You can not just STOP feeding a cat!!! I suppose if we continue, we can be thrown out. :eek:

However, the guy who also feed Pjevs said that his sister is willing to take him - but, I don't think he’ll will adjust to being in a new place, even though it's a house with a garden. He would probably try to run back here.

The board's argument are the Regulations “It is not allowed to let dogs and cats run loose in the yard” The people with children claim that the cats pee in the childrens play area. WE have seen children do it and told them that!! We also argued that if Pjevs has to go, other cats will come and rats may appear!

No, I don’t believe that anyone will intentionally go and harm Pjevs, but they obviously want him to starve to death or have him put down. :(

We wrote a letter and delivered it right away when we got the “news” from the caretaker – who in fact don’t mind Pjevs is there, he used to have the job sweeping and cleaning, before he got promoted. He was nice enough to give us a call to prepare us. But the board decide! :(

We have not had a reply yet, but just now, I saw a note had been put up downstairs “It is not allowed to feed cats in the yard” etc.

I really doubt that Pjevs will be able to adjust anywhere else! It is really sad and I can’t see a solution.

Will try and post a picture of the yard later.

Thanks for listening. :)

bluekat
07-05-2003, 09:39 AM
That is so sad, I really hope Pjevs will be able to stay. After all, he has been there for so long, they can't just kick him out! :mad: :mad: He doesn't sound like he's that harmful to those kids. and Pjevs is such a beautiful cat, and he sounds so sweet. I'll be really mad if he does have to go.
I'll be praying and sending positive vibes:)

rg_girlca
07-05-2003, 12:03 PM
My prayers and thoughts will be with you and Pjevs, afterall he should be considered a permanent residence since he has been there for 12 years.

lizbud
07-05-2003, 12:04 PM
What about getting a sandbox cover to deter wandering
cats from peeing in the box. They are sold in many places in
the U.S. & probably available where you are too. Like these;

http://www.detailedplay.com/AccRoofSand.htm

Of course it's really the parent's responsibility to do this if it's
their children's sandbox, but I'd do it as an answer to their
complaints. If it's not possible to buy one, I'm pretty sure one
could be built to fit without to much spent on tarp,etc. If it
would help Pjevs, might be worth a try.

Pam
07-05-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by lizbud
What about getting a sandbox cover to deter wandering
cats from peeing in the box. They are sold in many places in
the U.S. & probably available where you are too. Like these;

I was just going to mention this. Around here sandboxes are often sold, complete with lids, that would prevent such a happening. It's funny too because also here in the US I think there are more indoor kitties than in Europe. I wonder if you or John could fashion something that would work.

I hate reading things like this. It just makes me once again realize how cruel people are sometimes when it comes to animals. I will certainly keep my fingers crossed that there might be a solution that would be in agreement to all parties. Please do keep us posted and more pictures would be enjoyed by all. Pjevs is one very handsome boy and certainly doesn't look his age. ;)

zippy-kat
07-05-2003, 01:46 PM
Is Pjev's feral-feral or does he tolerate pets/skritches/being held? Any way that Pjevs would tolerate being indoors? Any chance Fister would tolerate another kitty?

The sandbox cover is a great idea -- I hope the landlord goes for it!

IttyBittyKitty
07-05-2003, 08:44 PM
The poor little feller? It just makes me mad ... people are so apathetic these days, it is the cancer at the very core of all western societies. No one cares about a poor, elderly cat who will probably starve to death or be killed if he is forced to move on. They don't care that their own children wee in the sandpit - if the cat does it, then he is "bad," even though human urine is surely more dangerous to humans than animal urine is!

It just makes me so mad and sad, that this cat will lose his life and what little comfort he has to appease a bunch of bratty kids who will grow up to be scummy adults! :mad: :mad:

kittens
07-05-2003, 10:23 PM
like zippy-kat, I was also wondering if you can't feed him outside, then can you feed him INSIDE?

PayItForward
07-06-2003, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by zippy-kat
Is Pjev's feral-feral or does he tolerate pets/skritches/being held? Any way that Pjevs would tolerate being indoors? Any chance Fister would tolerate another kitty?

The sandbox cover is a great idea -- I hope the landlord goes for it!
Ditto.

If he became YOUR cat (Pending Fister's approval) and you feed him inside, he could still play in his yard and he might adjust to being inside on a part time basis. The neighbour with the kids would no longer have a leg to stand on.

Fitting a sandbox lid makes so much sense, doesn't the sand get mucky from the elements, as it currently left uncovered.

Keeps us updated.

Cataholic
07-06-2003, 08:38 AM
This is so heartbreaking. I love Pjevs. Randi and John, I know I asked you this before...but, are you positive it won't work with Pjevs and Fister? Positive?

I Love Brian, Forever <3
07-06-2003, 09:45 AM
Why don't you...... take him in?.... Foster him, try to find him a home? Instead of letting him get taken away...? Just wondering.

catmandu
07-06-2003, 09:55 AM
WE are praying for Pjevs to stay. I would let him move into my backyard if you were close enough. Weepy , Nervous and Lost soul could keep him company . there are strays that live on the back porch and may one ady be lost hotel Cats! God bless Pjev!

gini
07-06-2003, 02:25 PM
Randi, I had p/m'd you about this. But after reading these posts I had another thought.

If your neighbors feel Pjevs is the culprit.....how can they be sure?

You say there are other strays around. What a crime to get rid of Pjevs, only to find that the sandbox still has cat pee in it.

And it wasn't Pjevs at all.

How can they be confident that getting rid of just ONE cat will solve the problem.

I do think that considering the length of time Pjevs has been in the yard, that for humane reasons alone.... Pjevs must stay.

I too, feel a petition by other owner's to your Board would be a big step in assuring that Pjev's can stay in his longtime home.

Randi
07-06-2003, 03:58 PM
Phew!! Thanks for all your prayers, they helped! :) We got a phonecall from the other people who feed Pjevs. They said our letter made a difference. The caretaker was in their flat to do some other things and he told that the board has suspended the decision for now. IF we clear up after Pjevs`dinner. One of the long time members on the board was furious, she had luckily also seen the other cat (Ib) poop in the yard. And she has a cat herself. :)

We were about to send another letter to the board - glad we didn't!

I'm pretty sure that it's the new member of the board who started all this, since he got 2 children, he has been very active in the yard, planting flowers and putting up swings and a childrens house - paid for of course by us all. That whole area is covered with sand - plus there is a sandbox which is covered when not being used.

Now, we have to find out who else are feeding Pjevs and tell them not to, or clear up – sometimes people have thrown fish or chicken around.

Unfortunately, I don’t think there’s any way Pjevs could be an indoor cat only. We discussed it 7-8 years ago and the cat people then said it was far too late. He has been living in the yard and the area around for at least 12 years without being inside. I can stroke him and brush him, he is rolling around for me, but he can’t live indoors.

I’ve just been down to feed him and he got hugs from you all as well. Oh, how he enjoyed it!! :D

We have discussed sending another letter, suggesting that we put a kind of chicken fence up around the childrens area, where flowers could grow up against. We’ll see!

Tomorrow, I’ll go and wash his house and later, we’ll put a nicer roof on and paint it all. Will also talk to as many people in the building as possible about this, in case there's a next time.

Now, we need to make sure Ib isn’t let out and ruin it all!!

Thanks a lot for your support! :)

I'll post a picture of the yard tommorrow. It's on the other machine.

krazyaboutkatz
07-06-2003, 04:02 PM
This is great news!!! :D I sure hope he'll be able to stay there forever and that there won't be a next time. :)

gini
07-06-2003, 04:02 PM
HIP HIP HOORAY!!

Randi
07-06-2003, 04:06 PM
:D :D :D

And sorry for not replying to your threads or PM's, I didn't sleep much last night. I will tonight! :)

gini
07-06-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by zippy-kat
:(

He's so beautiful... I'm especially fond of his toes!

You are right Tonya. They look like the kind you just want to kiss. Rascal always looks at me like I am crazy whenever I kiss his toes.

Hmmmm.....

Barbara
07-07-2003, 09:22 AM
That sounds great!! Anyway it looks Pjevs is the only cat you can control a little. You can't control the others. And if the area is that big there is some danger in dogs too?

Randi
07-07-2003, 10:19 AM
Here's a picture of the yard Pjevs lives in. As you can see, the childrens area is covered in sand, but we have talked about fencing it in somehow. Perhaps a chicken fence with flowers growing up it. The grey covered box is the sandbox for small children to play in, but the problem is on the bigger sand area.
However, we got a formal letter today from the board saying that they will put "Full Stop" on the area and hopefully keep cats away from that area. Also they want us to remove any food from his feeding area when he has finished. That also applies to others feeding him at random, so we'll have to track them down and tell them to stop!

In the far back, you can see the back of the second dustbin shed. We have a similar one in this end, and that is where Pjevs´s house is. (see picture on page 1)

We hope this will work!!

http://www.studio16a.dk/Cats/gaarden0213.jpg

Cinder & Smoke
07-07-2003, 10:40 AM
wow! :cool:

Purdy Posh Estate you live on, Pjevs!!

NO Wonder you've stayed there 12 years!
No Kat in his right mind would want to leave!

So glad "The Board" has re-considered and will allow Pjevs to remain.

Just a thought...
Have you considered "trying" a litter box positioned in the
garden for Pjevs? Would have to be a covered one; and would require
"maintenance"... but if he would use it - another problem *solved*. ;)

zippy-kat
07-07-2003, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by gini
HIP HIP HOORAY!!

What else can be said except --after viewing that picture, can I come and visit?!?! GORGEOUS!!

Steffi N
07-07-2003, 07:59 PM
I am glad that Pjevs, with your help, will be able to stay in his home.

IttyBittyKitty
07-08-2003, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by gini
HIP HIP HOORAY!!

That sums it up nicely :)