PDA

View Full Version : ~*~*~*Is Your Dog Scared Of Fireworks???~*~*~*

CattleDogMom
07-04-2003, 12:52 PM
Howdy All...........................

Last night we took Casey to the Rodeo to see how he would do in crowds and with fireworks. My grandma says dogs are naturally scared of fireworks. They didn't even phase Casey. The big bangs didn't even make him look up! I think 1 time he looked up at the really bright ones.

Our old lab, Lady was scared to death of fireworks, but she was given to us by a hunter because she was gunshy, so I bet that's why she hated them.

I have decided to take casey with us to the block party because he did so well last night.

Well, I hope you all have agreat 4th! Keep yourselves and your fur-babies safe and sound!

Crystal

RubyMutt
07-04-2003, 12:54 PM
As we speak Ruby is hiding under the desk at my feet because the neighbors are setting of very LOUD fireworks. It's not even dark outside yet!! So, yes, Ruby is terrified of them :( Poor pup :(

CattleDogMom
07-04-2003, 01:04 PM
I wonder why dogs are so scared of them!

GoldenRetrLuver
07-04-2003, 01:07 PM
Yup..my dogs are scared to death of them! Molly once got out of the house and ran down the street because she was soo scared! Poor guys...We'll see about this year though...

Tina
07-04-2003, 01:31 PM
Ruff is scared to death of them. Of course he's scared of noises like that. People shooting guns or the thunder. I don't know if someone shot at him in his past or not. We're always hearing people shooting guns around here.

Ginger could care less she barks at them:rolleyes:

Kfamr
07-04-2003, 01:43 PM
I'm not too sure if Nala is, I know Simba is though.

CattleDogMom
07-04-2003, 02:16 PM
I guess my Gramma was right. Well, I swear Casey just didn't even notice. A friend even said she has never seen a dog like mine...not afraid of fireworks. Of course, I would end up with the freak dog...LOL

Crystal

binka_nugget
07-04-2003, 04:03 PM
I've only had Kai since early October so there haven't been too many fireworks going off yet. I wasn't home for halloween so he may have gotten a fright.

Although, once I was home with him and there were fireworks going off. He definately noticed BUT he started barking at it and trying to find out where it came from lol. :rolleyes:

Twisterdog
07-04-2003, 05:01 PM
I have some dogs that are deathly afraid of fireworks, hiding under the bed and crying. I have some dogs that seem to like them, and watch them. I have some dogs that are oblivious.

I think one reason dogs hate fireworks, gunshots, thunder, etc. is that their hearing is so much more sensitive than ours, and the loud, sudden booming noises must hurt their ears.

I'm staying home today, like I do every Fourth of July, to watch my scaredy dogs, and all the dogs in the boarding kennel.

kingrattus
07-04-2003, 09:32 PM
Max loves fireworks, I use to take him to see fireworks all the time. He'll watch them for a few mins, & then get bored & fall asleep & I'll use him as my puppy-pillow. He could care less about any loud noises, nothing scares him except males & he shows that by growling, snorting & herding me/other family member away from the guy.

carole
07-04-2003, 09:46 PM
We celebrate GUY FAWKES every November the 5th in NZ, I only have cats, but they are really scared, they always try to go outside, silly as thats where its all happening, but I keep them in, I hate it really as i feel for all the scared animals out there, even the cows and sheep, the children love it of course, but when they ban the selling of fireworks and only have them at large functions that you can attend I for one will be in favour of that.
There are two many serious accidents every year involving children and even pets.

delidog
07-04-2003, 10:33 PM
My Two Blk/Wht..s' are Not scared at all!!!!!

Deli and Joey seem to have Nothing of which they are afraid...

However,Dear Hobo is a different story!!!!!

Poor Baby is TERRIFIED.....If He could crawl up into my kitchen cabinets right now,He Would!!!!!!

I really FFeel for Him .....I just keep going over and Hugging him and telling Him...it will ALL be Over Tomorrow!!

CountryWolf07
07-05-2003, 12:59 AM
Anna is afraid of fireworks.. any loud noises.. she wouldn't go outside earlier.. so I had to go out with her.. but she didn't last 5 minutes out there.. Rosie doesn't mind..

The Cat Factory
07-05-2003, 02:36 AM
Buddy is terrified of Fireworks!

anna_66
07-05-2003, 10:11 AM
Angus & our RB Keisha used to always go with us to watch the fireworks, it didn't bother them at all. They would watch them:D
But Huney, noooo way! She's scared to death of them, she just shakes like a left & Roxey she just gets freaked and stands beside us.
It rained all night so we didn't have to worry about it (good for them, but bad for us).
Glad that they didn't bother Casey!

CattleDogMom
07-05-2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Twisterdog
I think one reason dogs hate fireworks, gunshots, thunder, etc. is that their hearing is so much more sensitive than ours, and the loud, sudden booming noises must hurt their ears.

I agree with that. Last night we went to my grandparents block party. They were letting off the legal ones in the street. He wasn't too happy with the Piccalo Petes. The loud whisteling ones. He scooted between my legs and I covered his ears. I eventually put him in my grandparents neighbors' back yard with their dog Rex to keep him busy and occupied. Afterword, when I got him out, he wanted to go over to where the fireworks and explore.

Gone Doggin'
07-05-2003, 05:22 PM
Maple hates fireworks, she'll go crazy! she'll whine and bark and try to dig holes in out carpet to try to get out. She'll always keep herself close to people she knows.