PDA

View Full Version : Spelling does count in life!

sasvermont
07-03-2003, 01:02 PM
I am so tired of reading words typed by some of our pet talk folks. Words that they cannot spell correctly and are too lazy to find the correct spelling. I am not talking about type-o incidents, I am talking about some of the easiest words - totally wrong! Of course there are times when words and letters get transposed. That is what "edit" is all about. I am not saying that the typing has to be perfect, just a bit closer to perfect than not!

We once had a deal when I was a child and that deal was that we were not allowed to say the word unless we could spell it. I think it helped in the long run. For some folks I suppose it is too late.

So folks, do yourselves a favor and take the time to look up a word if you don't know how to come even close to the correct spelling, so that the fellow pet talkers don't have to try to figure out what the heck you are trying to discuss.

Some of the topics of the threads are just so badly spelled that I have a hard time trying to figure them out.

Thank you.

slick
07-03-2003, 01:10 PM
I totally agree!!!!!! Actually, that's what "Preview Reply" is all about. I preview almost every reply before posting and catch any spelling mistakes. I've even caught my own mistakes days later and can't move on until it's edited.

gini
07-03-2003, 01:29 PM
Gosh, did you hit on a nerve that I totally agree with.

So many times words are spelled so incorrectly that it is painful to read.

I wonder if people understand that the way you spell can tell us a lot about you. Are you young, are you just lazy, or do you really not know how to spell certain words?

If you can't stop to try to spell correctly - how do you run the rest of your life? How do you treat your pets - the same way - haphazard?

All of us make some spelling mistakes........but when a post is just loaded with them I usually skip on to the next one - where I can understand what the person is trying to say.

Logan
07-03-2003, 01:32 PM
We are thinking the same way today, SAS, Gini, etc.

I can't tell you how many times I have wished for a spell check feature on Pet Talk, just for me, and I think I do pretty well most of the time, unless my hands get moving faster than my brain! :o But sometimes, it is almost unbearable to try and decipher some things that are written (did I spell decipher correctly??)! It's as easy as opening up a new window on Internet Explorer, typing in www.dictionary.com and typing in the word to make sure you get it right! You don't even have to open a book anymore!!! :D

Today, I have really wished that all members would be a little more careful!!!

Randi
07-03-2003, 01:35 PM
Well said, Sas!! I'm not english speaking in my daily life, but I do try to get it right when I post. Sometimes I have to look up a word and sometimes I express myself a bit awkward which is very frustrating, but even I can see lots of spelling mistakes. A typo here and there is OK, but most people have a spell checker on one of their programmes.

The way some express themselves on PT is meant for chatting, but PT is not a chat session. There are people from all over the world here, and I bet we'd all like to see the correct spelling.

It's particularly sad that so many young people use this way of communicating - what are they going to do when they get a job in the real world? :rolleyes:

How lazy can you get??

Btw, this doesn't apply to "Cinder & Smoke" - because they do it really well!! :D

Kfamr
07-03-2003, 01:37 PM
EXACTLY!

I know I'm not the greatest speller in the world. I really try hard to get the word correct and if it's way off or doesn't look right, I look it up. I hate " Internet Slang ". It makes a person look really dumb.
What do I mean? Words like "Dat" , "Cuz", "iz"..or any other word with "z" instead of a "s"... The list goes on.

Dictionary.com is my best friend. I use it almost everyday. I've probably given that site more hits than anyone. Try it. :D

lovemyshiba
07-03-2003, 01:48 PM
I agree!!! I hate when words are spelled wrong--typos, ok everyone tries to get things out quickly, but just laziness, come one people!!!
I haven't seen dictionary.com, but I will use it now. Incorrect grammar bugs me too, when I am talking to someone I am that person that has to correct someone, annoying as it may be.

Nothing beats the internet slang though, itz reely gitz on mah nerveez!!!!!

gini
07-03-2003, 01:52 PM
We do need to excuse Phred from any of the above comments.

Creative writing is NOT spelling words incorrectly.

:p :p

Kfamr
07-03-2003, 01:55 PM
Phred's posts are entertaining and easy to read, even though it is in " Internet Slang " , Atleast you're able to understand it how he puts it.

Iz cuz i uhm uh VETT n meh doogg izz sikk buh daTz kEWl!!!!!111

RICHARD
07-03-2003, 02:06 PM
lololololololol...

spelling and HANDWRITING....

I ABSOLUTELY CRINGE when someone hands me
a handwritten page and wants me to decipher it..

any doctors out there???? lol, for some their handwriting is legendary for being bad... people would bring me doctor's orders to decode.....yikes!

there are times when my spelling really sucks but one word of warning to all you youngsters out there.......

one day you will be at your job and someone will read something that YOU HAVE WRITTEN AND MISSPELLED..that person will make a snap decision on YOU, YOUR SCHOOLING, YOUR INTELLIGENCE, YOUR
SPELLING-they may end up not liking your shoes for that matter.

that always goes over well when you look for a job-

Q: Why did you leave your last job?
A: Well the boss had enough of my spelling and
let me go...

All you peeps out dere!
get ur actz togetha and look edukated!
datz de way 2 get ahead in life!
U R LOTZ SMARTUR then THAT!

dogzzz
07-03-2003, 02:08 PM
I feel it is just plain lazy. I work for the post office and you wouldn't believe the letters we get. How many new states do we have............................. We all learned them in grade school, but seems people think there are new ones now.

Kfamr
07-03-2003, 02:12 PM
Richard ~ You always make me laugh, Lol.

gini
07-03-2003, 02:15 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by RICHARD
[B]

they may end up not liking your shoes for that matter.

Richard, this has nothing to do with spelling. You just triggered a memory.

A few years ago, I had to interview some young women for a receptionist job. A young woman came in who was nicely dressed and she had sandals on her feet.

I had, just by chance, glanced down at her feet and noticed that her toe nails were just filthy. Then I glanced at her hands and noticed that they too were dirty.

It was though I could not take my eyes off of her toes. And the whole time I was thinking "and what is the rest of her like?"

She didn't get the job, but the final decision was not mine.

Kfamr
07-03-2003, 02:21 PM
I'm off to shine my Chuck Taylors now....:rolleyes: :D

Logan
07-03-2003, 02:27 PM
We must remember that when Cinder and Smokey write to us, it is coming straight from them, a whole different language!!!! :)

RICHARD
07-03-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by gini

Richard, this has nothing to do with spelling. You just triggered a memory.

[/B]

for some reason the memories i trigger aren't that pleasant, eh?

lol,

a few years back i met a great gal! we became good friends and began to hang out regularly.

she was a bright and educated gal but people had problems with ther handwriting-no misspellings or grammatical errors......her printing was like reading a 5th grader's paper...i had no problem with that....until one of the other clerks came up to me and asked me if i, "could help 'C' with her writing.."

i was mad that someone had discounted this person because of the way she PRINTED..not only that, they didn't have the cojones to tell her themselves!!!

Randi
07-03-2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
... any doctors out there???? lol, for some, their handwriting is legendary for being bad... people would bring me doctor's orders to decode.....yikes!
Try translating a dentist professors speach - to whatever language you want!! :rolleyes: I did it once from english to danish - actually, it could have the other way around, I can't remember - but what a job! I got paid for it though! :D

RICHARD
07-03-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Randi
Try translating a dentist professors speach - to whatever language you want!! :rolleyes: I did it once from english to danish - what a job! But I got paid for it! :D

you didn't get paid enough i'll bet!

if they made a mistake did you correct it or translate it too?;)
i guess doctor's mistakes transcend all boundaries!! it's nice to know they are the same all over the world!

Randi
07-03-2003, 03:07 PM
you didn't get paid enough i'll bet!
No, you're right, I should have charged far more - I could have eaten caviar that whole week! ;) - not to mention Champaigne!! (spelling?)

.... if they made a mistake did you correct it or translate it too?;) i guess doctor's mistakes transcend all boundaries!! it's nice to know they are the same all over the world!
Yes, all latin! :D Yes, I would have corrected the mistakes -there weren't any!

cali
07-03-2003, 03:12 PM
if this is how you guys think then just be glad I was not here when i first started posting on boards, I was horrable people avoided my posts cuz they could not read them, now people on the same boards are commenting on how much I have improoved, my typing has improoved, my spelling and my reading have all improoved, even my temper has improoved, and i can be more rational about things etc.. etc.. be very very glad that this is the most recent board I have joined:p

catland
07-03-2003, 03:14 PM
Spell-checking can be evil when it automatically changes the spelling. How can I learn to type the word correctly when the spell-check fixes my errors without my awareness.

Also, there are victims out there of teaching methods that emphasized sight-reading over learning to pronounce and sound out words. Both my husband and my brother suffered this indignity that has plagued them their entire adult lives.

(great - you've made me so paranoid that I had to copy this and paste it into Word to make sure I have no typos:p )

Denyce
07-03-2003, 03:46 PM
I am so very glad that someone started this thread. I have been wanting to but was nervous about it. Also I didn't know about dictionary.com so that is now properly bookmarked. I too do not mind the occasional typo or even several if I can tell the person is making an attempt. There are many times my fingers get all tangled with one another and I don't realize it till I have hit "submit reply". I am in such a hurry to get my thought out there I can't wait. *LOL*

However, that being said, I really can not stand chat speak. I stop reading posts and usually tend to discount what people have to say who use this. I did not care for this in the chat rooms I used and I really do not care for it in this forum. My opinion is if you do not have the respect for me to spend the time it takes to type out those long words like...you, see, are etc then why should I have respect for you and take the time to read your post.

Kfamr
07-03-2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by cali
if this is how you guys think then just be glad I was not here when i first started posting on boards, I was horrable people avoided my posts cuz they could not read them, now people on the same boards are commenting on how much I have improoved, my typing has improoved, my spelling and my reading have all improoved, even my temper has improoved, and i can be more rational about things etc.. etc.. be very very glad that this is the most recent board I have joined:p

Dictionary.com could help you alot to improve your spelling.

babolaypo65
07-03-2003, 03:54 PM
I'm funny. There are certain words, like definitely, that most folks spell wrong, and it doesn't bother me.
It partly depends on how frequently the word is spelled wrong.

Word substitutions, like: they're/their/there or then/than or whose/who's make me cringe.

One or two words spelled wrong, no problem, but if I have to read a post out loud to understand it, there's a problem. And for several posters, I just don't, it's too annoying to do it over and over again.

I use dictionary.com and webster.com.

Kfamr
07-03-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by babolaypo65

Word substitution, like: they're/their/there or then/than or whose/who's that make me cringe.

I have trouble with those alot. I think i'm getting better though. I just wish the American Language wasn't so difficult. There's so many words that are spelt similar or sound the same.

sasvermont
07-03-2003, 04:00 PM
Cali, your typing/spelling is just about what we are talking about here. Many of us are required to put a proper sentence together and spell correctly and when some people do the internet chat thing here, it irks many people.

I know that some of the younger people here will have a rude awakening when they reach the working world and the cannot write properly. I fault the schools. My parents were very, very strict about penmanship, writing, reading, speaking correctly. I cringe at the office when I hear people use the English language so very poorly. Education, education, education.

The internet is "in" but so is "Language".

Phred is permanently excused and most people of foreign descent know three or four languages and we would expect them to not know every word perfectly.

I think our school systems are working on the "dumbing down" mode these days. Very sad.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Kfamr
07-03-2003, 04:03 PM
In English last year we didn't do much spelling.. I loved Spelling test... it was basically an easy "A".

All you had to do was study all of your words, and you got 100%

I miss those test.:)

Barbara
07-03-2003, 04:36 PM
It helps sometimes to see that the native speakers are misspelling words (there are quite some people here who write "definately" e.g.) because since I am on PT, the fat (1500 pages) bilingual dictionary lies right besides the computer -but if I looked up every single word I could never had reached pillarhood;)

If the cats and dogs write (especially the nawteedawgs) it's cute and funny -but with some of the younger internet persons I have problems to understand. But in general the level of writing here is high. It's one of the reasons I prefer this website to any other -even in my own language.

Cinder & Smoke
07-03-2003, 05:41 PM
:eek:

Gowsh, Cin - I tink summa dem is fur shure
talkin bout :eek: US!

Hope Dad duzint see dis - he mite kut our puter tyme... :(

An Dad sez...
It's ALMOST as hard to creatively MISS-spell a word
as it is to actually get it rite! :rolleyes:

"Sorry" (or iz it 'sorrie'?) if the FurKids' Grammur & Sphelling tend
to rub some the wrong way ~
Wunce Upon a Tyme we thunk it wuz kute! :p

"Dad" used to sign on as "Phred" when he wanted to be *serious*...
but that's a bit of a pain to do several times a day...
and we often "furgot" to switch back and forth with the *proper* log-in!

One thing that works - http://www.google.com can ALSO be used
as a crude spell-checker...
type the word in question into the search box and <enter>...
you will usually get at least a few hits that give you a clue
if you've got the correct spelling or it suggests a variant.
And Google is a LOT quicker than any spell-checker / dictionary we've tried.

We'll take the comments under advisement. ;)

babolaypo65
07-03-2003, 05:45 PM
That's a great idea! The "did you mean" thing on google would work great!

cali
07-03-2003, 07:04 PM
Cali, your typing/spelling is just about what we are talking about here. Many of us are required to put a proper sentence together and spell correctly and when some people do the internet chat thing here

so?? I am 15, I know I have bad spelling, big deal people may say spelling tests are good, well they certainly did not help me any. I am failing english, why? because I have bad spelling, I cant help it, I try, and i have improoved big time, just not good enugh for some people I guess. and I am sorry I like to use "cuz" and things like that, this IS the internet, and the only place I use this, so I dont feel like writing out the whole word, big whoop, I write the whole word when I feel like it. yes, I am not good at putting together senteces I never have been, nor have i ever been good at grammer, but ya know what?? I have improoved a lot and that is ALL that matters. :rolleyes: and know what else?? its not school that helped me improove its BOARDS, like this one, before I started going on these boards I really was awful, I could not type well at all, I had awful spelling, and my temper flared a lot. been on board a while people still complain about my spelling and grammer skills, but all the nice friendly people, commend me on how much i have improoved, as i said before that is all that matters.:)

Kfamr
07-03-2003, 07:11 PM
I'm 15 as well.

P.s. "Improve/Improved" is with only one "o". :)

cali
07-03-2003, 07:18 PM
lol I have been wondring about that lol neither looked right to me, but one "o" looked more like the drama, improve:p

anna_66
07-03-2003, 07:21 PM
Sorry all, but I find this thread quite cute. I don't really care if everyone spells just perfect or types cuz or whatever, as long as it's readable. I understand that spelling is very important in life, but come on...we're here to have fun, not be in school;) I know there are times I spell things wrong and I use Ask Jeeves Spell Check (http://web.ask.com/redir?bpg=http%3a%2f%2fweb.ask.com%2fweb%3fq%3dCor rect%2bSpelling%2bOf%2bWords%26o%3d0&q=Correct+Spelling+Of+Words&u=http%3a%2f%2fwww.spellcheck.net%2f&s=a&more=1&mpg=http%3a%2f%2fweb.ask.com%2fweb%3faj_ques%3dsna pshot%253DJeeves%2526kbid%253D2547522%26aj_logid%3 dF9BCCF417C546E47908150D89F2946D7%26aj_rank%3d2%26 aj_score%3d1.8%26qsrc%3d6%26q%3dCorrect%2bSpelling %2bOf%2bWords%26en%3dkb%26flwup%3d1%26qid%3dE22E16 C73A3C4338B4701FD5AB6CB864%26adcat%3djeev%26ac%3d6 2%26io%3d0%26page%3d1%26kbid%3d2547522%26more%3d1) if I think it is wrong.
I hope I haven't bothered anyone with my luv's and cuz's, I don't do it because I'm lazy, I sometimes just think it's cute:p
I hope that I didn't offend any of you with opinion (is that spelled righ, yes...I checked it.:p

zippy-kat
07-03-2003, 07:33 PM
I think abbreviations of words reflect the fact that Americans are lazy readers. (Have you ever noticed that the longer the initial post, the less replies? Not true with everyone but for the most part...)

I know I use "tho," "ppl" and "prolly" numerous times-- "b/c" is another I frequently use. Actually, I *SAY* "prolly" when among friends (but NOT in business or academics) ... I consider you all to be friends and so I guess that's why it's carried over.

I have no problem with 'cutsie' words so long as they are used intermittently within a larger, grammatically-correct, and essentially typo-free narrative. :)

Yes, I've had my share of typos but some members' posts are so hard to decipher that they quickly earn their way onto my ignore list. If I can't read your first post, I prolly ( ;) ) don't need to read the rest of 'em...

You know what really gets my goat? this --> :rolleyes: when used by the kids of pet talk. (referenced to kids because they are most often the ones who use it in a sarcastic 'tone' -- moreover because " :rolleyes: " is often the only element within the post.)

Kfamr
07-03-2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by zippy-kat

You know what really gets my goat? this --> :rolleyes: when used by the kids of pet talk. (referenced to kids because they are most often the ones who use it in a sarcastic 'tone' -- moreover because " :rolleyes: " is often the only element within the post.)

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Y0o iz silEE TonYUH!

Kfamr
07-03-2003, 07:40 PM
"Cutsie" words are allright as long as it's not all a bunch of "jibber jabber" and hard to read.

zippy-kat
07-03-2003, 07:45 PM
Yes, I fully realize that there are different spellings for many words... (and actually, I tend to gravitate to the european spellings--using -ours instead of -ors, catalogues instead of catalogs) but I'm speaking of the kids who --for whatever reasons-- insist on making the post as hard as hell to read, not only because of spelling but because of sentence arrangement. No, you don't have to be a grammarian but please(!) it doesn't take but an extra couple of minutes to make sure the post is legible.

Originally posted by Kfamr
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Y0o iz silEE TonYUH!

:D Silly Kayann!! At least you had more than ":rolleyes: " in your post! lol
PS what happened to linkin park in your sig? I LIKED that one! ;)

Kfamr
07-03-2003, 07:53 PM
:D Silly Kayann!! At least you had more than ":rolleyes: " in your post! lol
PS what happened to linkin park in your sig? I LIKED that one! ;)

Tupac took over.... I wanted the Tupac poem in my sig and since it was pretty long i thought people would get mad if I had both in.

Logan
07-03-2003, 09:05 PM
I think if you think this was posted towards the majority of pet talk members, Carole, you surely misunderstood. Heck, I didn't even start the thread, but I think I know what Sallyanne's point is, and I happen to agree with her. This is a mixture of adults and kids and sometimes I think the older (and I mean "age" older) members might do more responding and participating on some of the posts of our younger members if they took a little more time to write complete sentences and spell words a little closer to their actual spelling. No one should be paranoid though....there is no such thing as "Spelling Police"!!!!

babolaypo65
07-03-2003, 09:10 PM
Again, while I am reformed English teacher, many spelling errors don't bother me. Its when I have to read it aloud to understand it that it becomes tiresome.
I'm guilty of laziness as much as others, forget punctuation, don't look up spelling....That's not a problem.

Now, for those of you who say "oh, I don't have to be able to spell well, that's what computers are for".... keep in mind: you WILL have to spell some time on your job. I just had a police report made (drunk high school kid drove through my yard, took out a few trees). The car owners insurance DENIED MY CLAIM because of the spelling errors. My name, address, as well as the description of the accident had so many errors it was incomprehensible. Now I have to pay for things and hope its reiumbursed.

Warning: small rant follows:
I grew up during the preppy/valley girl era (think: Fast Times at Ridgemont High). We had a whole lexicon of our own, a whole grammar, the way we talked. We teased our parents for their silly way of talking, but, I would never have forced my "in speak" on others who were older, younger, of a different culture.... it's sign of respect to communicate in the manner of the majority. I also don't buy the notion that its THE way language and communication are handled on the web. Language/communciation is my CAREER, and that's NOT how it's done on the web. And it's not okay to force on others, or expect others to put up with.
okay, I'm done. Whew. :D

zippy-kat
07-03-2003, 09:35 PM
Now, for those of you who say "oh, I don't have to be able to spell well, that's what computers are for".... keep in mind: you WILL have to spell some time on your job. I just had a police report made (drunk high school kid drove through my yard, took out a few trees). The car owners insurance DENIED MY CLAIM because of the spelling errors. My name, address, as well as the description of the accident had so many errors it was incomprehensible. Now I have to pay for things and hope its reiumbursed.

Warning: small rant follows:
.... Language/communciation is my CAREER, and that's NOT how it's done on the web. And it's not okay to force on others, or expect others to put up with.
okay, I'm done. Whew. :D

First of all... :eek: I sure hope they caught that drunken creep! After having worked at the DWI Office, I've heard too many say "I wasn't drinking" or "I only had 2 beers" or "I wasn't drunk" (yeahhh, so why'd was your BAC .21 when the legal limit here is .08?!)--more importantly, I've heard of too much heartbreak.
:( Babo... I hope you're reimbursed and I hope this kid learns his lesson before it's too late.

A reformed English teacher? Is that like a recovering English teacher? (how about a recovering Lobo... ?!:eek: :D lol) Actually, the language/communication career intrigued me -- what is it that you teach and do you do so on-site or through distance courses?

Just curious... I attend Texas Tech University (MA Tech Comm) through online classes. We actually had a discussion on web-based education/language/etc. not too long ago. :)

babolaypo65
07-03-2003, 09:45 PM
So far, sadly, nothing from insurance. The parents of the drunk kid (who wrecked his mommy's volvo in my yard then ran) are saying that it was "stolen" but they haven't made a report to say it was stolen. What great role models they are for their kid, who was 16.

I teach in the linguistics dept at the university. My background is in teaching English, (my degrees are in language acquisition/rehabilitation, education and linguistics), and now I teach linguistics and signed language courses. I LOVE my job! I have done some distance ed courses, but mostly out of state (washington, etc.). I guess you could call me a reformed Lobo, in that I don't follow their games anymore!;) You're studying at Texas Tech? How do you like it?

zippy-kat
07-03-2003, 10:00 PM
So far, sadly, nothing from insurance. The parents of the drunk kid (who wrecked his mommy's volvo in my yard then ran) are saying that it was "stolen" but they haven't made a report to say it was stolen. What great role models they are for their kid, who was 16.

I teach in the linguistics dept at the university. My background is in teaching English, (my degrees are in language acquisition/rehabilitation, education and linguistics), and now I teach linguistics and signed language courses. I LOVE my job! I have done some distance ed courses, but mostly out of state (washington, etc.). I guess you could call me a reformed Lobo, in that I don't follow their games anymore!;) You're studying at Texas Tech? How do you like it?

That's awesome! I've always wanted to take a linguistics course...learn all the different brain 'controls' etc. Very cool!

Texas Tech... well, it's MUCH CHEAPER ...which I find odd. I'm not too impressed with the admin.--harder than heck to get a 'real' person on the phone; whereas I had no problem finding answers to my questions at NMSU. ('Course I'm dealing with a larger institution.)

All in all, I really like it! The faculty is GREAT and I really love distance courses; I can attend in my pajamas with my furkids and perhaps the best part...... NO FIGHTING FOR A PARKING SPACE! lol

KYS
07-03-2003, 10:14 PM
OK! I am sticking my head in the sand on this thread.
I too, tend to get a bit lazy on the spelling etc.
Many of times when I write my posts
I think to myself, "Now only if Pet Talk had spell check in it's softwear" lol

Felicia's Mom
07-03-2003, 10:54 PM
I try to spell words correctly, but I do make typos.

aly
07-03-2003, 11:35 PM
Oh my gosh. I JUST came into the Dog House to start a new thread with this exact topic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You read my mind.

I am so utterly sick of trying to decipher half the crap people write.

I can't stand it when people confuse the words 'their', 'there', and 'they're'. Also 'your' and 'you're'. Its not that hard. Its just complete laziness.

PEOPLE, PLEASE LEARN SOME GRAMMAR AND SPELLING and have some respect for those of us that have to read what you type!

Kfamr
07-03-2003, 11:41 PM
Correct me if i'm wrong hehe.

Their dogs.
They're cute.
They're over there.

You're funny
Your dog is cute.

wolf_Q
07-03-2003, 11:55 PM
I'm not sure whether I have any room to speak in this thread or not....:o

English has never been my best subject. I'm not that good at spelling, nor grammar. And indeed, if you have been in an aol chat with me you will notice that well....I'm the typo queen, and I never bother to use capitals or care about the spelling.

However, I feel the Pet Talk forum should be different then a chat room. I do try to make my posts legible...I try to spell correctly, or just avoid words I'm not sure about...I fix typos if I catch them.

What really bugs me is the lack of PARAGRAPHS. If I see a huge post with no paragraphs, I simply refuse to read it. And would it really kill people to put periods and capitals to make real sentences?

Honestly though, I've never been THAT particular about my spelling on here, so I hope my posts haven't annoyed anyone....

aly
07-04-2003, 12:09 AM
Yup KayAnn, you got em! You win a piece of cake for that :)

Amy, what the heck are you talking about? Your posts are fine. You know the kind of posts we're talking about - ones that seem like they come off that AOL translator site.

Crikit
07-04-2003, 12:27 AM
Ahh I am not alone.

Grammer and spelling were never my strong points I admit that. However when posting I make an effort to follow the correct rules and use proper english, true sometimes you get a weird mix of the British and the American spelling because well I'm Canadian, and if I'm having difficulties remembering the spelling of a word I don't use it, that simple either that or I look it up.

What's getting me lately is that more and more it seems difficult for people to do that, some of the time i don't mind all of the time well let's say it frustrates me.

In fact at times it makes me wonder if they really can't spell or if people are just being plan lazy, if it's the latter then maybe they should rest up a bit and when they have the energy to post proper posts then go right ahead.

tikeyas_mom
07-04-2003, 01:17 AM
I an os anoyed with al the spelin mistaks mad her. I relly hop that Caran dose put up a spel chek son.

LMAO.. :p

Some people have an impairment of the ability to read. So it makes them confused when looking at the keyboard. It is called Dyslexia, I am dyslexic. Some people are just young here and dont know how to spell, except for sounding things out.

I think adding a spell check is a good idea.

popcornbird
07-04-2003, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
I an os anoyed with al the spelin mistaks mad her. I relly hop that Caran dose put up a spel chek son.

LMAO.. :p

Some people have an impairment of the ability to read. So it makes them confused when looking at the keyboard. It is called Dyslexia, I am dyslexic. Some people are just young here and dont know how to spell, except for sounding things out.

I think adding a spell check is a good idea.

My friend's little brother has dyslexia and he's 9 years old and is just starting to read. I see how he reads and stuff, so I know how you feel. :)

I agree that its annoying when people deliberately mis-spell words, but we all need to understand that many people posting here speak English as a 2nd language and may not know it well enough to spell everything right or type with perfect grammer. Others are still young, and some kids just happen to catch on with spelling slower than others. Spelling was always my favorite subject and I always did well on it, but I know that I do still make spelling mistakes every now and then. It just happens while typing. For people that spell like:

Dats reely kool...............etc..............

that's REALLY annoying. I know that many people try their best in spelling, and I think the foreigners do a great job for their 2nd or 3rd language, but there are some people who tend to type on PT with chat language, and that just doesn't seem right on a forum. Forums aren't chat rooms, so there's no need for typing so fast you need to spell every word wrong, and make it unreadable. :p

Cincy'sMom
07-04-2003, 05:37 AM
I know I am a horrible typer..I think MUCH faster than I type and often can't keep up with myself. As a result letters end up in the wrong words, or the I type the wrong letters altogether. My husband recently pointed out to me how bad some of my posts are, by taking one, correcting it in red, and Pm'ing it to me. Since then, I am trying to reread what I wrote and correct my mistakes.

I don't mind the "cutesy" words thrown into a post. Some posts are done all undercase, in slang, with no division of paragraphs, and no puncutation. These are the posts that bother me.

Phred-Ralph and I love reading Cinder and Smoke's posts. Their dog language is priceless and no one can tell a story like them! Don't change a thing!!!

Pam
07-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Correct me if i'm wrong hehe.

Their dogs.
They're cute.
They're over there.

You're funny
Your dog is cute.

Yep KayAnn these are examples of some of the things that drive me crazy. I always did well in English and grammar in school (many, many moons ago) and am a little quirky about forming sentences and using proper grammar and punctuation and breaking up ideas into paragraphs. As a medical transcriptionist it is very important that I spell correctly so I really can't separate "work" from "fun" (Pet Talk).

I can totally understand some of our Pet Talkers who do not speak English as their first language having trouble with some of the goofy parts of the English language. (A few pop into mind here - hair, hare, blue, blew, threw, through, etc., etc.) It sure can be confusing! I think they do a beautiful job with their posts, though, and put lots of us to shame. :o I agree with SAS. I think it is the chat language that is most annoying. A typo here or there is easily excused. We are all human and I too have had mix-ups between my brain and the keyboard and will often go back to edit.

sasvermont
07-04-2003, 06:58 AM
I am sorry if the initial comment to this thread ended up being taken as a personal insult. It was not meant to be. It was a plea for some of the typist to clean up their acts.

Slow down, type, re-read and maybe even use a word document (allowing you to spell check) and then cut and paste it to the response/posting section.

I think some people use their laziness as an excuse to continue a bad habit. Not every person here is Einstein - including yours truly, but a little time taken while typing and consideration to the readers would be appreciated.

As I said in a previous post, Phred is exempt, of course...and anyone else bright enough to type in "pet language"....and also those not having English as their first language.

We are not the spell/grammar police, just asking for some common courtesy.

Paragraphs are NICE - I too just blow right past the massive postings......all one paragraph.

Thanks guys - for your support on this topic and you have my permission to PM me noting all my misspellings and grammatical errors.

Also, keeping the paperback dictionary / thesaurus next to the computer keyboard may help some of the misspellers/typists!

SAS
:D :eek: :D

Randi
07-04-2003, 07:21 AM
As I'm not english, I have a few questions for you all. :)

I've often noticed (latest in Cincy's mom's post here, but also in many others) that people write "then" where I would have used "than" - E.g. ...I think MUCH faster then I type and often can't keep ... Is this the right way - perhaps in USA? I'm really not sure, because in Great Britain I'm certain that people would use "then". :confused:

Another strange use of words is: E.g. I would of been .... instead of: I would have been. I've seen it used that way quite a few times in posts and wondered ...

I find some of the al/all words a bit confusing sometimes: allright/all right - already etc. Especially when I'm tired.

Can anyone enlighten me? :)

Pam
07-04-2003, 08:03 AM
Randi - excellent observations!! :cool:

First off - "Than" is used as a comparative statement - comparing this to that. (example: I am older than you!) "Then" usually refers to a time or sequence (example: "Then" we went to the store.)

I am afraid that "could of" is just slopping speaking which gets translated into sloppy typing. It should always be "could have!" You are one that certainly puts us English speakers to shame. :o

babolaypo65
07-04-2003, 08:14 AM
Oooh, the of/have one makes me a little crazy too. I got a paper last semester that spelled it ov, believe it or not.

And right, THEN is a temporal sequence word, THAN is a comparative word.

the of/have one seems to be an artifact of the popularity of conjunctions.
No US/British distinction between have/of that I'm aware of.

Cincy'sMom
07-04-2003, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Pam

First off - "Than" is used as a comparative statement - comparing this to that. (example: I am older than you!) "Then" usually refers to a time or sequence (example: "Then" we went to the store.)

That is one rule I could NEVER remember, and every time I type something I'm sitting here, then/than. then?than? And usually it gets left "then". Now hopefully I will remember which is which!!!!

allanimalswelcome
07-04-2003, 08:23 AM
I have to say I absolutly HATE those huge paragraph posts. You have no clue where a sentence starts or ends and it's absolutly CRAZY!

Most of the time I skip over them

~Rachel

Randi
07-04-2003, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by Pam

Thanks for the nice words, Pam! :) I felt pretty sure that I had it right, just didn't know whether Americans used it in a different manner, because I have seen it quite often. ;)

primabella
07-04-2003, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by aly
[b]I can't stand it when people confuse the words 'their', 'there', and 'they're'. Also 'your' and 'you're'. Its not that hard. Its just complete laziness.

ack...I mix those words up all the time! It's not laziness, I just forget. Sorry. lol I realized I had been saying 'your' instead of 'you're' a lot. lol

I also used to write in all small letters. I didn't know it bugged anyone until somebody in another thread mentionned it. Glad I changed or I would never get any replies :p

I agree, paragraphs are important. I try to paragraph my posts when I can, because I know a big post that seems like it has no end just doesn't interest me.

I don't know if I can even stand this thread. It sounds like English class all over again. lol :p The things that bug me most are pretty much mentionned already. No capitals (it bugs me too now), no paragraphs, easy words mispelled (not including type-o's - I think I spelled that wrong :o ), ect...

If you want to say a word you can't really spell, I find (sp?) very useful :cool: hehe

gini
07-04-2003, 09:32 AM
I think that this has been a good and productive thread. At least everyone was able to get a few things off of their chest. Hopefully it will make others more aware and they will want their posts to be taken seriously when they have something to say.

Pet Talk is just different. The very forum deserves respect and thought before we post. And then it becomes more fun for all of us.

I wanted to add that the one thing that probably bugs me the most is seeing "u" instead of "you". I mean come on........it is only two more little letters to type.........:)

lovemyshiba
07-04-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by popcornbird

Dats reely kool...............etc..............

um, it's supposed to be KEWL:) :) :) :)

gini
07-04-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by lovemyshiba
um, it's supposed to be KEWL:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Sure glad you caught that!:) :) :)

aly
07-04-2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by popcornbird

I agree that its annoying when people deliberately mis-spell words, but we all need to understand that many people posting here speak English as a 2nd language and may not know it well enough to spell everything right or type with perfect grammer. Others are still young, and some kids just happen to catch on with spelling slower than others.

I wasn't directing my complaint towards them. Its those people who speak with the internet lingo and replace 's' with 'z' and stuff like that.

aly
07-04-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Cincy'sMom
My husband recently pointed out to me how bad some of my posts are, by taking one, correcting it in red, and Pm'ing it to me.

Hehehehehe!!!! That's REALLY funny :D

Originally posted by Randi

Another strange use of words is: E.g. I would of been .... instead of: I would have been. I've seen it used that way quite a few times in posts and wondered ...

I think people say 'would of' because it sounds sort of like 'would've' (which you can use in place of 'would have'). I guess they just get used to saying would've and some people think its would of.

Originally posted by primabella
ack...I mix those words up all the time! It's not laziness, I just forget. Sorry. lol I realized I had been saying 'your' instead of 'you're' a lot. lol

Oh Prima, it doesn't bother me at all when you do it. If someone just doesn't know, thats fine and really doesn't bother me. Your posts are very well written so I can forgive some grammar slip ups :D (jk)

Rachel
07-04-2003, 10:51 AM
Although we should all try to do our best with the spelling and proper grammer, mistakes do happen. Half of those who were mentioning different things that bothered them had errors in their posts, so let's not get too critical in calling people lazy.

Skills that aren't used can be lost. I'd hate to think that there will be Pet Talkers who are hesitant to post for fear of making an error. Many of us have a limited amount of time to spend reading and posting. Yes, I do want my posts to be coherent and to present myself in the best possible light, not only here at Pet Talk but anyplace I put two words together, but let it be known that I will make mistakes, and I realize others will too. I'd rather people are able to communicate their stories and feelings, and express themselves freely, than to be too hesitant to post because they aren't confident in their written word.

sasvermont
07-04-2003, 12:03 PM
Think what you want, but some of the people here either don't care or are lazy or maybe both. The majority of the people posting here are fine, fine, fine and that is not the group I am addressing.

We let way too many things slide here in the USA and we end up with lackadaisical, indifferent workers in the end.

This is not a dress rehearsal, this is it. These are real time experiences and we are presenting ourselves to the world when we type here.

Of course there are mistakes made - no one has said that they are troubled by simple mistakes. It is not that difficult to spell correctly and/or maybe check your post. What about dictionaries? We're not talking perfect Rachel, just so that it makes sense.

I think we need to have much higher standards if we want to gain respect in this ever so quickly changing world ...and then keep the respect. I think it is called language skills..... minimum not maximum - that's all we're asking!

I have said just about as much as I can say about this. It is not to make anyone feel stupid or dumb or to make them feel uncomfortable so they don't want to post.

Amen.

SAS

primabella
07-04-2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by aly
Oh Prima, it doesn't bother me at all when you do it. If someone just doesn't know, thats fine and really doesn't bother me. Your posts are very well written so I can forgive some grammar slip ups :D (jk)

lol thanks :o

lizbud
07-04-2003, 12:28 PM
Skills not used can be lost. What concerns me more is that
I feel these skills were never acquired in the first place.I don't
know if it's the quality of classes offered in today's schools, the
experience of the teachers, or lack of parental involvement in
children's education. Do they even teach phonics or sentence
structure anymore? Do students still learn how to diagram a
sentence? It's really sad that these basic language skills have
not been mastered by the time students reach their teen years.

I understand typos, I do it myself, but the" every other word"
glaring mistakes makes reading some posts impossible.

zippy-kat
07-04-2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by lizbud
Do students still learn how to diagram a sentence?

Ya know, I didn't learn how to do that until college...and even then it was glossed over!

sasvermont
07-04-2003, 01:36 PM
I learned to diagram a sentence in 4th or 5th grade. It was painful to learn, as I recall..... I suspect the practice bit the dust a while ago. We also had spelling tests nearly every day and were made to write the word over and over again if we spelled something incorrectly.

I remember once handing in a paper in 6th grade that had the word radio misspelled throughout the entire paper. To this day I don't recall how I DID misspell it - I think I erased the incorrect spelling from my memory. The teacher was livid when she saw it, graded me harshly and then required that I write the word radio, 500 times. Talk about remembering how to spell a certain word!

I think our schools are dumbing down for some reason and it just doesn't make sense. Could it be "main-streaming" that is requiring our standards to drop? I can recall the children/students being classified and put in certain reading groups and I wonder if that is still being done.... Or is everyone in the same group in a very neutral learning mode? This is what I mean by dumbing down.... Going to the lowest level in expectation rather than the highest.

I know that special education is nearly a thing of the past and many of the learning disabled are main streamed.

Since I am not in the education field I should keep my trap shut about the schooling thing! I don't want to offend anyone any more than I have already done!

Off to the lake for a swim.

SAS

cali
07-04-2003, 01:51 PM
I can recall the children/students being classified and put in certain reading groups and I wonder if that is still being done....

some schools have LRP, I tranfered to several schools in my 9 years of elementry school I had tranfered 5 times, and all the schools learned different things at different times, so I really did not learn several things because of all the transfers, but in grade 2 after my first transfer I was automaticly put in LRP but its only for reading mostly. I dont know why I was in it, the only thing they did not like was my a's they forced me to make them with a tail:confused: I had been tought to make then straight at the school before that, anyway I was one of the best readers in the class, and I was paired with the not so good people to teach them to read, so why I was in LRP I have no idea, but I hated it, it made me seem dumb. so my mom and dad wrote them a note asking the school to take me out of it lol, and they had a thing for the really smart kids to, and then everyone else was just normal. I dont know if they do it any more, grade 1-6 was a long time ago lol:p

Chinadoll
07-04-2003, 02:35 PM

I have no problem with 'cutsie' words so long as they are used intermittently within a larger, grammatically-correct, and essentially typo-free narrative. :)

Ditto Zippy. That is exactly what I was thinking. I concur with everyone else who has proclaimed that this is a message board and not a chat room. Things like "how r u?" irk me. Is it really so hard to add those extra couple letters to each word? And I was being generous by adding a question mark. Too often punctuation is simply left out.

I don't mean to be overly critical but is it too much to ask for to have some basic grammar skills incorporated into posts? Paragraphs, please! Upper and lower case were created for a reason. It is difficult to read when a post is typed in either all lower or all upper case. Using punctuation to separate sentences goes a long way in making a post comprehensible.

As far as "there, they're and their", I'll admit to making those mistakes. I try to catch it and I'll usually go back and edit it. But, there(see I got it right :) ) are times I don't catch it, and I don't hold it against anyone who has the occasional lapse.

In the question of "would of " and "could of", it's always been my understanding that the correct contraction for could have is could've which sounds like could of.

Randi
07-04-2003, 04:17 PM
Sas! Is your PM box full? ;)

binka_nugget
07-04-2003, 04:28 PM
I feel guilty. :o I remember back when I first got the internet, I had spelled 3veRyTh4nG LyK3 DiZ. I got annoyed with it really fast because it takes ALOT of effort to write like that believe it or not. I soon figured out that if it takes that much effort to type like that, it probably takes more effort to read that.

I really dislike seeing "u" instead of "you" or "2" instead of "to". Come on! A few more letters isn't going to hurt you. In fact, my friend mentioned that she used "u" in her english essay.:eek: The irony is that she used less letters and it hurt her (mark).

As for punctuation, I'm horrible at that. It's not that I'm lazy but a force of habit combined with the amount I've learned. I admit, I barely passed English this year. I often find myself doing this "..." in almost every sentence I write INCLUDING in class.:rolleyes:

Primabella knows this already, I'm trying to limit myself in saying "lol" and "...". I think it's going good so far, don't you think?

As for spell check, I hate it. Although, I admit to using it right now. :rolleyes: Here’s a wonderful piece written by a fellow named Taylor Mali. Here’s the link x (http://www.taylormali.com/index.cfm?webid=30). It’s very funny. Although, it sounds a lot funnier in the recording. :D

RubyMutt
07-04-2003, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by binka_nugget
I'm trying to limit myself in saying "lol" and "...". I think it's going good so far, don't you think?

I'm trying to cut back on using "..."' as well. I didn't even realize I did it so much until I was on AIM chatting with one of my friends one day and he said "You use ... WAY TOO MUCH!!"

I know I still do it a lot, but it's a hard habit to break :rolleyes:

But I do agree, wRiTin LyKe DiS gets really annoying and can become very hard to read :rolleyes:

primabella
07-04-2003, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by binka_nugget
Primabella knows this already, I'm trying to limit myself in saying "lol" and "...". I think it's going good so far, don't you think?

lol :D You can do it! ;)

My friend was in English class and they had to write this story explaing a book they read and then exchange with a partner for peer-editing. My friend got this paper that said something like, "He was trying 2 to well and his friend said u should be a teacher and all..." lol How pathetic :rolleyes:

zippy-kat
07-04-2003, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by carole
.... if my threads are not to anyones liking or standards, then I am sorry, but maybe you should not read them.
To be perfectly honest this thread irritates me.:(

Touche - if this thread irritates you, maybe you should not read it. :)

shais_mom
07-04-2003, 08:38 PM
To be perfectly honest this thread irritates me.:( [

zippy kat
Touche- if this thread irritates you, maybe you should not read it.

I agree Carole, you seem to be telling us that all the time.
I don't think it is petty, honestly, b/c of your typing Carole I seriously doubted you were who you said you were. Course I know better now, or do I? ;)

carole
07-04-2003, 09:05 PM
As per usual, because i differ from your opinions, I am then personally attacked for doing so with some not so witty sarcastic remark.

sasvermont
07-04-2003, 09:11 PM
Carole, no one has attacked you. If you do not care to spell / type correctly etc. that is ok with us and it is your choice. It's not going to make one difference either way. Life is just full of choices. Relax. You have taken this thread way too seriously.

Are you having a bad day?

SAS

shais_mom
07-04-2003, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by sasvermont
. Relax. You have taken this thread way too seriously.

Are you having a bad day?

SAS

agreed
I honestly don't think that we attacked you Carole, this whole thread wasn't directed to you. If it was it would have had your name ON it.

shais_mom
07-04-2003, 09:46 PM
I simply meant (and I am not the only one) that the way you type makes it hard for most of us to understand, and makes you appear younger than you are. I tried to put it lightly but apparently I still am the root of all evil.
Noone is implying that you leave, and you have stuck it out thru rougher topics than this, I think that this is going to be ok.
But I have been wrong before. :rolleyes:

aly
07-04-2003, 09:57 PM
Man! The same thing is happening with this thread that happened with the sig thread. Chill out people! Some people are reading WAY too deep into it and not paying attention to what we are saying. We don't mind typos! You don't have to be perfect! But for crying out loud, put at least a little effort into your posts. It is proper forum etiquette.

carole
07-04-2003, 10:08 PM
Well I for one would like to know exactly what it is about my typing that you choose to pick on, I think you have made the comment you should back it up, why is it hard to read?, more so than anybody else who types in here, this is something I would like to know.
You inferring that I seem younger than I am, well I could take that as a compliment, But I know it was not mean't to be one, YOU are very insulting, you donot even know me.
And Aly you are right , we do need to chill out, but then the comments were not made about you were they?
All this just because I dare to disagree with this thread.
This is STUPID and quite frankly I am so fed up of this type of stuff on here, I am seriously thinking of leaving for good, I'm sure i will not be missed.
As I have too much to say, and I DARE TO DIFFER from the majority, and I donot TYPE right, and I APPEAR TO BE WAY YOUNGER THAN I REALLY AM. Actually Shais Mom I think it would have been more sensible to pm me than bring all this in here.
All I have to say to you, is when you have lived another 18 yrs or so, I hope you will not so rude.

carole
07-04-2003, 10:11 PM
While I am at it, Iv'e just taken another look at your thread and mine, and I really cannot see any difference.

gini
07-04-2003, 10:30 PM
Good grief, I have been gone all day and look what has happened to this thread.

Carole, now I want you to laugh WITH me here. When I read your post and you say donot........what I saw was donut. I could not understand why you kept saying donut? What do they have to do with this? But then I realized what you mean is DO NOT.

Oh, Carole, why leave? You won't have nearly as much fun on other forums. I am just positive about that.

Stay, spell things incorrectly and make mistakes just like the rest of us.

I think you have started some provocative subjects that have made us all think and then respond. Keep it up!

gini
07-04-2003, 10:47 PM
I think I read exactly what I wanted to read.

Unfortunately, DONUTS are my passion. I particularly like the kind that are custard filled - with a chocolate topping. My next favorite is raspberry filled.

And it is entirely your fault that I am now thinking about donuts, and can't leave to go get some.:) :)

cali
07-04-2003, 10:57 PM
carol I have to agree with everything you have said! very well put. everytime I have a diffent opinion on any subject I get personally attacked by several people here, in fact I have already sent someone to another much friendlier board, where noone freaks out about spelling or grammer or a difference in opinions, or siggys or anything, infact we agree to disagree over there:p I have complained about this board in rants over there as well, they have come to check it out, and it is now refered to as "the mean board" I am not kidding and I agree with them.

Kfamr
07-04-2003, 11:06 PM
I have complained about this board in rants over there as well, they have come to check it out, and it is now refered to as "the mean board" I am not kidding and I agree with them.

If you really dislike it all that much, Simply do not come.

There are several nice people here. Karen and Paul to a great job with moderating as well as making sure everyone stays friendly. Giving Pet Talk a bad rep isn't going to do any good and it's rather childish.

aly
07-04-2003, 11:10 PM
This is *not* a "mean" board. It is the most polite one I have ever seen. Karen and Paul do a wonderful job "policing" it.

This is the Dog House. I feel people should be able to get stuff off their chest here.

cali
07-04-2003, 11:16 PM
relax it has only been refered to it like that once, because comapred to here the other we seem like angels on the other board lol:p

Kfamr
07-04-2003, 11:20 PM
May I ask what this other board is? I'd like to look around.:)

aly
07-04-2003, 11:22 PM
relax it has only been refered to it like that once, because comapred to here the other we seem like angels on the other board lol:p

What? Sorry, I honestly don't understand what you're saying :o

cali
07-04-2003, 11:22 PM
www.mydogsite.com/boards:p

Crikit
07-04-2003, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by aly
This is *not* a "mean" board. It is the most polite one I have ever seen. Karen and Paul do a wonderful job "policing" it.

This is the Dog House. I feel people should be able to get stuff off their chest here.

Amen Sista!! ;)

People have a right to their opinions, and the dog house is the section of the board where we should be able to voice those opinions without everyone freaking out and jumping to conclusions.

cali
07-04-2003, 11:24 PM
oops sorry, what i meant to say is that compared to this board, we seem like angels on the other board, my brain got ahead of my typing, sorry:p

I did not notice I missed a word,

aly
07-04-2003, 11:27 PM
Don't worry Cali, I had no trouble reading what you wrote, and it was no big deal to me if you happened to have a spelling mistake ooops....you are HUMAN.

I HONESTLY DID NOT KNOW WHAT SHE WAS SAYING! And I asked her nicely!!!!!!!!!! And she answered nicely so you did not need to add to it.

Stop jumping to conclusions! Gooooooodness gracious!

carole
07-04-2003, 11:29 PM
oops aly my apologies, but you can hardly blame me, after all thats being going on in here today.
But I sincerely apologise to you, my mistake,I did indeed jump to the wrong conclusion.

Kfamr
07-04-2003, 11:31 PM
Cali, May I ask where this "rant" is now?

aly
07-04-2003, 11:38 PM
http://www.mydogsite.com/boards/index.php?act=ST&f=30&t=2655&

Kfamr
07-04-2003, 11:39 PM
Lol, I just registered and in the middle of replying to it.

carole
07-05-2003, 12:08 AM
I would like to be left out of this thread, if thats ok with everyone, from now on, I donot wish to make any further comments, and its ok if you all dis-regard my previous ones.
I would appreciate it, if my name could be left out of future threads, I just want nothing more to do with this , thanks.

Cincy'sMom
07-05-2003, 06:42 AM
In life, people may make observations about you ( meaning a general person, not you specific to anyone here), your behavior, your attitude etc. There are a few ways you can take this.

-Immmediatly disregard it, say the person is out to get you.

-Think about it, decide they are wrong, and move on

-Use the constructive criticism to improve yourself

Why make it a personal attack? Life is too short!

sasvermont
07-05-2003, 08:32 AM
In a way, you are what you type. Since, in most cases, looking at the (your) typing/communication is our only means of making a judgement about someone you don't know. How they appear in their posts is the most you know about them... (other than a few thousand wonderful pictures of their pets)...:)

You are what you eat....you are what you type. Think about it. If your posts (your typing/communication skills) are sloppy and unreadable, then they are the impressions you leave with your fellow Pet Talkers!

I for one, was always encouraged to reach for the top, have high standards and not the opposite. I always tried hard in school and continue to work hard as an adult. My parents were not strict, they had standards! They had rules. Life is just full of standards and rules....

It is ok if you want us to see poorly typed/communicated posts, but it certainly doesn't get leave me with a good impression of you...and I suspect the rest of the world (non-English speaking in particular) would not be impressed much either. If that doesn't bother you, then that is the way it is. It is a choice.

Live up, not down.

SAS

anna_66
07-05-2003, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by aly

That said....

I promised myself I wouldn't add anything else to this but.....

I love this site, I love "most" of the people and the way I feel....

type how you want, don't worry about spelling or paragraphs or whatever else everyone has complained about. I personally am here to have fun and chat. If noone likes how I type, I could care less. No, I'm not ranting or getting mad, I just find that this thread, like every other one that gets started like this leads to people getting their feelings hurt.
Yes, we all have the right to our opinions, and that just fine. But when people get their feeling hurt, it's something else. And I personally find that some people here have their feelings hurt. Maybe they shouldn't, but they do. So could we lay off? Please...can't everyone just get along:D
I'm done now, thanks for listening...or not:p

primabella
07-05-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by anna_66
That said....

I promised myself I wouldn't add anything else to this but.....

I love this site, I love "most" of the people and the way I feel....

type how you want, don't worry about spelling or paragraphs or whatever else everyone has complained about. I personally am here to have fun and chat. If noone likes how I type, I could care less. No, I'm not ranting or getting mad, I just find that this thread, like every other one that gets started like this leads to people getting their feelings hurt.
Yes, we all have the right to our opinions, and that just fine. But when people get their feeling hurt, it's something else. And I personally find that some people here have their feelings hurt. Maybe they shouldn't, but they do. So could we lay off? Please...can't everyone just get along:D
I'm done now, thanks for listening...or not:p

I agree in a way because message boards are for fun, but when I actually have to go crazy trying to figure out what a bunch of words that could easily be spelt correctly, it just frustrates me.

And for the record, I didn't mean to get anyone's feelings hurt. Just getting some stuff off my chest. I used to write like "u" "r" "c" on messageboards and in all small letters. This guy started telling me off. Since then, maybe I'm traumatized lol I don't know. Whatever...people can type how they want but then if they start complaining they never get any replies, well it *could* be for the above reasons.

primabella
07-05-2003, 09:40 AM
carol I have to agree with everything you have said! very well put. everytime I have a diffent opinion on any subject I get personally attacked by several people here, in fact I have already sent someone to another much friendlier board, where noone freaks out about spelling or grammer or a difference in opinions, or siggys or anything, infact we agree to disagree over there:p I have complained about this board in rants over there as well, they have come to check it out, and it is now refered to as "the mean board" I am not kidding and I agree with them.

cali I never had anything against you but you just seem to like to spend your time talking behind everyone's backs in other boards. If you don't like it here because we're so mean and attack everyone, just leave. I personally think this is the best board on the web. I have been to several boards where people are always so nice but don't seme to give their opinion much. Maybe they're afraid to speak their minds? I love this board because it's like a *real* community here. When people have a problem they let it out and aren't afraid to do so. And they are usually very mature about it.

Pam
07-05-2003, 10:09 AM
I have complained about this board in rants over there as well,

Cali, I am sorry but this just made me lose all respect for you. Just because you are having a hard time with one or two people here you don't need to badmouth this board. I have been here over 3 years and have made some awesome friendships here. Could the problem be you????? I think you really need to take a couple of deep breaths and relax. You are going way over the top!

cali
07-05-2003, 10:17 AM
ya. whatever you think what you want. I never said you had anything against me, I posted one rant on another board because I was mad about being called irrisponsable for not vaxing my dogs, prime you are the one that calmed down and agreed to disagree on the breeder thread. I have nothing against you or anyone else, here for that matter. I dont not like this board, I have it right up at the top with mydogsite in my favorites, the only thing I dont like is when people get judged and attacked for without fair trial. I have been judged unfairly my whole life(I dont mean on the computer) so I get really up in arms when it happens to others, I cant help it. its just my nature.

primabella
07-05-2003, 10:30 AM
ya. whatever you think what you want. I never said you had anything against me, I posted one rant on another board because I was mad about being called irrisponsable for not vaxing my dogs, prime you are the one that calmed down and agreed to disagree on the breeder thread. I have nothing against you or anyone else, here for that matter. I dont not like this board, I have it right up at the top with mydogsite in my favorites, the only thing I dont like is when people get judged and attacked for without fair trial. I have been judged unfairly my whole life(I dont mean on the computer) so I get really up in arms when it happens to others, I cant help it. its just my nature.

cali, if you want to rant to just get it off your chest, I suggest an online or even a regular journal. I keep one. It's better than going on other boards to just give those people a bad impression of this one. I don't care if you like this board or hate it. The thing is, if you have such a problem with it, just leave. Seeing that you don't, then stay. I just don't want you to go around mentionning names making it look like we are all bad people.

You don't need a fair trial for spelling. Just start smartening up before you click that 'submit reply'. I have been judged so many times and I hate it. But I don't think I judge anyone when I say that their spelling is bad. It doesn't mean they're a bad person.

I can't think of anything else to say :rolleyes:

cali
07-05-2003, 10:55 AM
yes maybe i should keep a journal, i used too but my brother kept breaking into it and reading everything I wrote then made fun of me. my brother moved to calgary so i guess I dont have to worry about that anymore. either way the rant is not giving thi sboard a bad rep in the least, the only thing you guys are getting is more members:rolleyes:

CathyBogart
07-05-2003, 12:17 PM
Just tossing in my two cents....I have a very hard time taking anyone seriously who can't master simple spelling and punctuation, WITH THE EXCEPTION of people who are still learning the language.

There is an extremely knowledgeable bearded dragon breeder on the kingsnake.com boards whose english is HORRID (albeit improving), but I always make an effort to understand what he's saying because odds are I'll learn from it.

However, if someone can't be bothered to type in an easily understandable way, I either will skip the post altogether, or decide that they're not worth the effort to decipher their post. I have typos in my posts frequently, but I like to think that they're spelled and punctuated enough that nobody would have trouble reading them. ^.^

sasvermont
07-05-2003, 12:55 PM
I agree with you 100%. I breeze right by the gibberish because I don't have time to try to figure out what the heck they are trying to say or type.

Why should the burden be placed on the readers? I have better things to do with my time.

This shouldn't be turned in to a battle, just a challenge. I really would like to challenge those folks who don't give a _____ to a step up their means of communication.

Play time on the internet doesn't have to be dumb down time, as far as I am concerned. Spelling correctly should be first nature. It shouldn't be a burden to have to THINK and be polite. Bad habits are so easily acquired and if you allow them to, they will become permanently yours.

How much longer can this topic go on? Well, it sure does beat me. I think it is such an important topic because so many people take language skills so lightly. I see it every day at work! Clients, staff, you name it.

Education, education, education!

:cool: :cool:

Prairie Purrs
07-05-2003, 02:49 PM
I pay very close attention to grammar and spelling, in large part because I make my living as an editor. I also spent about a decade teaching legal writing to first-year law students. So I skip over the impossible-to-read posts because they just plain irritate me. I spend too much time during the workday dealing with grammar and spelling errors.

(But I love Cinder and Smoke!)

I agree entirely that the educational system (at least in the U.S.) has failed students in the language arts areas for many, many years. When I taught writing classes, I was shocked at the poor grammar and spelling exhibited by college graduates. When I told one student how unimpressed I was, he brushed it off--told me that when he was a lawyer, his secretary would catch all that stuff. I told him he'd have to at least be able to write a resume and cover letter without misspellings, or he might not ever get a job.

An unfortunate number of my co-workers--law school graduates all--make regular mistakes in basic grammar and punctuation. Spelling errors are reduced somewhat by mandatory spell check built into our software--but mandatory spell check had to be added because of the large number of spelling errors that were occurring.

And quite a few people did not get hired by my company in the first place because they had misspellings in their resumes and cover letters.

I've been making my living as one form of writer or another since the late 1970s, and I still keep a dictionary close by. Sure, it's easier to just make it up as you go along and to dismiss any criticism. It's easier to say "I'm just not good at that."

But nobody was born speaking or writing English or any other language. We all have to work at it. If you don't care to work at it, that's OK--as long as you recognize that it will affect the impression you make on others and that it will exclude you from a number of good-paying jobs.

Cataholic
07-05-2003, 07:37 PM
How do I miss this good stuff? I am sick of ALL of you! He he.

Rottieluver45
07-05-2003, 07:41 PM
Maybe some words that are easy for some of you to spell, aren`t so easy for other people to spell!

Kfamr
07-05-2003, 07:42 PM
Shayna, you could always keep an online journal.

----------------------------------

You know, I really don't like when people say "It's just the internet."

Yes, I know this is the internet, I'm well aware of that. Just because it is the internet, your spelling shouldn't be poor.

Internet or not, spelling does matter. Spelling incorrectly on the internet isn't going to make you improve or get better, BUT - Dictionary.com can help you! :D

aly
07-05-2003, 07:45 PM
This is the internet? Crap! I'm in the wrong place!

Kfamr
07-05-2003, 08:27 PM
Lmao... Aly meant to be at the tattoo parlor getting a dragon!:D

aly
07-05-2003, 08:42 PM
Ahem, I don't have the 'equipment' for that!

IttyBittyKitty
07-05-2003, 10:32 PM
Whew! A little bit of controversy underfoot ... how did I manage to miss this thread?

I agree with the underlying sentiment behind this topic - it is a matter of courtesty to ensure that your posts are legible to other readers.

It is rather ironic that, in a thread pertaining to the use of the English language, the idea behind this thread was misunderstood. Infrequent spelling and grammatical errors are not under fire here. The true source of irritation is those users who do not even bother adhering to spelling and basic punctuation rules in their threads. All that is required is an attempt to write clearly. As for our younger users, I applaud those who do write intelligently, and admire those with difficulties who make a true effort towards coherent writing.

That said, I feel I must apologise for some of the horrendous spelling and grammatical errors in my posts. It seems, as the years have trundled by, that I have developed a mild form of dyslexia that is rather troubling. Furthermore, as an Australian, many of our spelling rules differ to those of US English. One striking example is the spelling of "Mum." I tried to PM an American user with the word "Mum" in her username, only to find that I should have spelt it "Mom," lol!

:)

Cali - you have the same right to express your opinion as everyone else. Enjoying this right means that you must extend the same courtesy, without being nasty, to other users such as Aly. This courtesty does not entail ranting on other boards about Aly and drawing our attention to it here!

kittens
07-05-2003, 11:03 PM
Carole I have never noticed anything wrong with your posts. I have noticed that you type "c" at times, but so what? I agree with Anna_66, about what she said. and someone mentioned that this thread is getting like the sig thread, well, close... an d why? because it is always allowed to, people getting mad and insulting others are alllowed to go on. and it is mean. this is getting to be a "mean board".

there may be worse boards out there, but there are better ones too. ones that have a whole different feel to them, a different atmoshere feeling. I have found 3 or 4 of them, and now that I have my new email on my cable interent set up, (no more aol) I am probably going to be on those boards.
I think Karen is a very NICE person, but I do not think that this is well monitored at least not anymore.

there are some people on here that really think they are perfect and want things just their way, and then there are some very nice people on here, and I will miss some of pt but not what it has become.

primabella
07-06-2003, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by kittens
there are some people on here that really think they are perfect and want things just their way, and then there are some very nice people on here, and I will miss some of pt but not what it has become.

It hasn't become anything. The controversy never really leaves the Dog House, where it should be.

kittens
07-06-2003, 12:45 PM
:rolleyes:
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

CathyBogart
07-06-2003, 01:56 PM
I have to agree with primabella. This forum is wonderful! I have two boards I frequent: one about rats exclusively and this one. Both of them are wonderful places to be, and I've left several boards that were just *okay*, because these are so much better.

Each board has its own quirks and pet peeves, but it just adds personality, and I like that. As long as nobody's being personally attacked I see no problems in voicing opinions. ^_^

In my mind, I can't take someone seriously who can't bother to write a coherent post. If someone else wants to take the time to muddle through, good for them, I'm not going to bother. :)

gini
07-06-2003, 02:01 PM

I think this is how you correctly spell this....

CathyBogart
07-06-2003, 02:01 PM
*chuckles*

kittens
07-06-2003, 02:13 PM
Gini
yes, of course you are right, thank you for correcting me, lol:)
I do think there are a very small number of people who have assulted the English language on their posts on here, but it would be nicer to pm them asking them...what?? or ignore it. if someone came up to you and just said gibberish, or spoke a foreign language, you would say sorry I don't understand...right? or would you you berate them for it?

Gini, is this better?:)

:p :p :p
:p :p
:p

gini
07-06-2003, 02:34 PM
Heck no, I would stand right there and berate them. But I would make absolutely sure that a number of other people would be around to hear it too.

Your new word looks like a tongue twister to me!!:)

kittens
07-06-2003, 02:39 PM
:) :D

primabella
07-06-2003, 02:47 PM

You're so mean :p :p :p ;)

Cataholic
07-06-2003, 05:52 PM
Kittens,
UNLESS you are one of those people that quits one name, and picks up another...you have been here for 68 posts...I am not sure what you mean when you are referring to what this board once was? When, yesterday?

As for Karen being nice, I agree, but to say this board is NOT well monitored? Compared to what? Goodness, I have received several pms from Karen re: my posting. I know she and Paul are on top of this board pretty tight. I also think our members police our own, too. If I had a child, besides my inner child, I would let them have nearly unfettered access to it.

The general public,

I have a very difficult time reading some people's post. I do not mean that a typo or six throws me off. Any string of words longer than twenty is too long. Any string of words without a punctuation mark of some kind, even a wrong one, is nearly impossible to read.

Spelling/grammar does matter. If one posts continually (or is it continuously?) with more typos and grammar mishaps than a bad game of Scrabble, I assume they are ignorant. Not stupid, ignorant.

Most EASL people on here do loads better than the average poster. That is a shame to me. That speaks volumes of our educational system, not to mention the individual's own personal goals.

kittens
07-06-2003, 06:24 PM
cataholic
i have been here for more than 68 posts dear, and if I have only 10 posts, are you telling me my opinion doesn't count?

I meant what I said and I really don't care if you agree or not. you should remember another thread getting out of hand and it was not monitored. if you don't agree with what I say, well don't read my posts .
I joined this site in March of 2002. I have over 3500 posts. if they are divided up it doesn't matter.

Cataholic
07-06-2003, 08:58 PM
Ah, that is the Mary we all know....off your meds again, Dearie?

Tonya
07-06-2003, 09:36 PM
Yes, bad spelling and grammer irritate me. But I think it is rude to say something about it. Perhaps there are less fortunate people out there who didn't get the perfect brains, education and upbringing that we got.

My husband's best friend is ranked high up in the air force and is a computer wiz, yet he can't spell worth a damn. He isn't a stupid person at all, he's dyslexic.

Hmmm, lets sit around and think about what else we can make people feel crappy about.

Nomilynn
07-06-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by IttyBittyKitty
It is rather ironic that, in a thread pertaining to the use of the English language, the idea behind this thread was misunderstood. Infrequent spelling and grammatical errors are not under fire here. The true source of irritation is those users who do not even bother adhering to spelling and basic punctuation rules in their threads.

I totally agree. Tonya, this thread wasn't started to make anyone feel crappy. There is a huge difference between people who have a medical condition like dyslexia, or even people who suffer from the occasional slip of the didgit, and people who purposely use "chat" lanuage because they are too lazy to type out "to" instead of "2" etc etc. Also, people who use commas, like this, and no periods, and go on, and on, and don't stop, (I think you get the point I'm trying to make) and use horrendous run on sentences make it very difficult to read. A lot of times, I skip over those posts because it's too much effort to try and decipher what is trying to be conveyed. I think this thread was ONLY intended to make people aware that reading those posts is difficult, and to ask that people make more of an effort to convey their messages more clearly.

kittens
07-06-2003, 09:47 PM
hey, there, bully, here to stir up more ? any more kids to kick around?
off my meds? nah but thanks for the concern. are you still on yours? it may be time to up the dose in your case.

Crikit
07-06-2003, 09:48 PM
This post wasn't started as way to make people feel crappy, and I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say that we don't care if the occasional word is spelt wrong, or there is wrong punctuation every now and then. We all do it we're only human.

Almost everyone who has posted in this thread has said that in some form or another. What everybody is saying that bothers them is the shortened lazy way that some people are writing.

For example is it really so hard to add two extra letters to take "u" to "you"? or "wat" to "watz"? I think not.

All we were saying is that we would appreciate it if people would take a little time and effort and I personally think pride in what they write to make it at least understandable to the general populas on the board.

lovemyshiba
07-06-2003, 10:16 PM
Let's face it--the majority of us are women posting on this thread. I don't know about everyone, but I do know that some woment just like to talk about stuff that bothers us, with no intent on hurting anyone, we just like to TALK!!
In this case, we have to type.

I don't think the intent of this post was to attack anyone, or their name would have been on it.

...off to take my meds....

Tonya
07-07-2003, 12:19 AM
I'm sorry, I must have misunderstood the thread then. I was under the impression that is was basically calling the folks that have trouble spelling and with grammar lazy. Yes, I think intentional misspellings are very difficult and annoying to read. I usually don't read them because I am online to relax, not to think to hard.

jonza
07-07-2003, 06:09 AM

Welkum bak Mary!

john

kittens
07-07-2003, 07:55 AM
thunku viry much!
sorry I guess I missed your point of the quote?
oh well
good story on your 100th post !

bnormal
07-07-2003, 11:44 AM
I'm probably as guilty as the next person when it comes to improper grammar and misspelled words. AND I'M A GUY!

Anybody wanting to sell any of their meds?

:D :D :D

iceyshiver21
07-07-2003, 12:23 PM
Wow. We are getting in quite a mess all because someone said that the grammar was getting a little out of hand, a simple plea for someone to open up Word as they sign on to pettalk. It's not that hard to copy/paste. I know there have been times where I may have spelled wrong but I fix all that I see. Some Threads of mine are a little hard to understand because I want someone to see the whole plot and why I feel the way I do about the Topic.

sasvermont
07-07-2003, 12:23 PM
I was the person who started the thread. That doesn't mean that I get to end it.

The expression " If the shoe fits, wear it" seems to best apply here!

I was hoping to bring the standard of commuication between all of us to a level that would make our postings easy to read and comprehend. That does require some conforming and some people don't feel that they want to conform. So be it.

You are who you are...and you present yourself a certain way. That is your choice. I prefer to put my best foot forward by being as careful as possible with my typing and spelling etc. I am FAR from perfect!

Be considerate and keep the standard high here... that's all! Just TRY!... You'll be surprised what a nice habit it will become!

SAS

bnormal
07-07-2003, 12:34 PM
"but I do know that some woment just like to talk about stuff that bothers us"

I've been married for 13 years and I just realized what it is that I've not been understanding! Thank you LMS;)

bnormal
07-07-2003, 12:40 PM
AND ONE LAST THING...

Sorry for yelling. I think the majority of people on this forum are very cordial, well mannered and even tempered. Occasionally someone might post something that ruffles your feathers. However, for the most part this is a pretty laid back site...except for the obvious flammatory subjects.

My only complaint is that I think Karen and Paul should rename the site to:

The Doberman Pet of The Day!!!!

kittens
07-07-2003, 03:02 PM
bnormal--
I love those dogs! are they as vicious as they look?:eek:
they remind me of the ones on the old tv show, magnum p.i !!
bet they can run fast huh?
I have varied tastes in dogs, I like the big ones like those, and would love a good guard dog, but then I love the cutsie little doggies too. obviously not to be kept near each other!

iceyshiver21
07-07-2003, 03:16 PM
Every Dobe Ive met is a regular sweetheart. My Annie and her Boyfriend Vince who is a dobe like to play togather and Annies other friend Minx is a Tan dobe.

aly
07-07-2003, 03:35 PM
One of Reece's (POODLE) best doggy friends is a ROTTWEILER. Big dogs aren't vicious at all! The owner makes them vicious, not the size. Big and little dogs can and do play together all the time.

Kfamr
07-07-2003, 03:45 PM
Since when do they look vicious? :confused:

primabella
07-07-2003, 04:01 PM
I have to say that a Dobe is one of those dogs who has that magestic, powerful look to it. I love it :D

iceyshiver21
07-07-2003, 04:34 PM
Labs are big... since when was anyone ever afraid of a Lab?

kittens
07-07-2003, 05:04 PM
ok calm down I was not insulting them. I didnt say they were vicious. they look mean to me. I asked if they were.
I would love to have a guard dog. now is my opinion going to start a big discussion again?

ok..bnormal-- are they as good of a guard dog as they appear to be in my opinion? do I need my brother the lawyer to script a post for me so I don't offend?
I love all dogs

Cataholic
07-07-2003, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by iceyshiver21
Labs are big... since when was anyone ever afraid of a Lab?

Uh, their tails get a little out of control, does that count? They can clear a coffee table in no time flat! Watch out china...he he he..

Big dogs, little dogs, it isn't their size that makes them anything...look at Binx....he is big, getting bigger by the minute, and his harm factor, if he has one at all, is about .000009.

iceyshiver21
07-07-2003, 05:40 PM
Haha..I had manny an experiance with Labs and their table clearing experiances. ;)

Kfamr
07-07-2003, 05:44 PM
They don't look mean to me at all.

Oh boy, and aobut the Lab tails.. Nala could bruise you with hers!!!:eek:

iceyshiver21
07-07-2003, 05:47 PM
Buck used to knock down my sister with his :D Then he'd lick her to death.

Kfamr
07-07-2003, 05:51 PM
Whenever i'm fixing their dinner for them Nala and Simba "get in line" right along the cupboards and Nala knocks her tail on them. :p

allanimalswelcome
07-07-2003, 06:11 PM
bnormal-Is your Callihan the doberman that was the first POTD?

I love big dogs! They are so cuddly and sweet. My best friend's dog is a golden retriver named Emma and whenever I see her she does a little "dance" and then jumps so her paws are on my shoulders and gives me tons of kisses!

KYS
07-07-2003, 06:46 PM
posted by bnormal:I've been married for 13 years and I just realized what it is that I've not been understanding! >>>

I have been married for 21 years and my husband still
doesn't understand me.
Your already ahead of the game. lol

My husbands favorite large breed is the Doberman.
Beautiful animals.

CathyBogart
07-07-2003, 06:52 PM
Dobes are beautiful animals, and I've never met one who wasn't a sweetheart!

bnormal
07-07-2003, 07:22 PM
allanimalswelcome, Callihan is in fact the very first POTD! A fact that he never fails to mention!

Kittens, your questions are fine. My Dobes do look intimidating, however they are the biggest babies in the world. The thing to remember is that hollywood gave them their reputation as being wild killers. The Doberman is actually a very intelligent animal. In fact that is the real reason they are used so much as guard dogs. Because of their ability to be trained. It also doesn't hurt to have their appearance either.

KYS, I really had to open my mouth...now the pressure is on!

kittens
07-07-2003, 07:29 PM
thank you! anyone can see by looking at them how they look! I can see that they are not cutsie tea cup yorkies! thanks for understanding that I was not insulting your dogs, its just obvious they are a "serious"looking dog. very handsome!

kittens
07-07-2003, 07:33 PM
and, I would love to have dogs like that , maybe someday. a funny story... one night at around 3 AM, years and years ago my mother heard a noise and went to look, opened the side garage door, and there staring at her was a doberman! she panicked and slammed the door. found out later it was the neighbors and it was a sweetie! but at that hour and not knowing!

bnormal
07-08-2003, 08:08 AM
Kittens, thanks! A unknown Dobe at 3am would be cause for a underwear change!

And if you ever get a Dobe you will be astounded by the loving personality of these mean killer dogs!;) (just like anyone would with a rott, a pit, a gsd and all of the other "killer" breeds)

allanimalswelcome
07-08-2003, 08:32 AM
Oh cool the first POTD!

How old is he now?

bnormal
07-08-2003, 08:38 AM
allanimalswelcome, Callihan just turned 8 yesterday. BTW, your "handle" is excellent!

allanimalswelcome
07-08-2003, 08:56 AM
My handle, do you mean my signature? Sorry I'm not exactly clear with all these internet terms:o

~Rachel

bnormal
07-08-2003, 09:10 AM
Rachel, your user name, "allanimalswelcome".

lovemyshiba
07-12-2003, 02:07 PM
I just saw a sign today, nailed to a post, that said
YARD SEAL!!
I'm going to go over later, and take the camera--I've never seen a yard seal, I thought they all lived in the water:D

zippy-kat
07-12-2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by lovemyshiba
I just saw a sign today, nailed to a post, that said
YARD SEAL!!
I'm going to go over later, and take the camera--I've never seen a yard seal, I thought they all lived in the water:D

HA HA HA!! :D

bnormal
07-12-2003, 03:15 PM
"I just saw a sign today, nailed to a post, that said
YARD SEAL!!
I'm going to go over later, and take the camera--I've never seen a yard seal, I thought they all lived in the water"

You should ask them if yard seal protects the grass against animal waste....

NYCbabi 13002
07-12-2003, 03:17 PM
LOL

iceyshiver21
07-12-2003, 03:30 PM
Omg!! Funny.

kittens
07-14-2003, 04:39 PM
as for spelling, I wish people, and not just the younger ones, would remember that there are 3 spellings for to...

to
too
two
I see several times, "to" instead of "too".:rolleyes:
anyway, what a hostile bunch pt has become, and it is let to be this way. I'm happy to make this my last post, and stay with the other boards I have found. I don't mean everyone of course. there are alot of very nice people on here. but , the others, well I wouldn't use the word pathetic( like was used elsewhere) but I will say, take a look in the mirror , you really think you are superior, sad! I'm sure there will be 10 pages of replies to this, oh well I won't see them.

iceyshiver21
07-14-2003, 05:04 PM
That doesn't mean you should leave...I don't get this. How does everyone else get them selves into such "horrible" fits and so dramaically talk about leaving. I've been in many a fight...and how is it that I always seem better friends after the fight is over? Probley because I give in when I know that they have proven a point. How superior we are...

carole
07-14-2003, 05:12 PM
Mary , Mary, you should not leave.
You have a contribution to make to Pet-talk, it may not be to everyone's liking , but still you have spirit, so don't let a few who bother you destroy that.

:)

Vio&Juni
07-15-2003, 10:33 AM
I just wish the American Language wasn't so difficult. There's so many words that are spelt similar or sound the same.

You should try and learn Romanian or Russian :) Actually, even if Romanian is my first language, I still think it's difficult. Well, not for me, but... And, I also spell Russian 1000 times better than my Russian co-workers. As to English, the spelling is not so difficult for me, because in words like affect or effect I look for the root in Romanian, and we pronounce afecta or efectua, so, no way I will ever make such a mistake. I am sure, I can make 1000 of other kind of mistakes. And I still spell French very well, although I must have and awful accent already.

I remember my colleague, our other translator, being an University teacher for years, made a mistake once, she wrote in a report to our boss instead of the word mail the word male. Our boss kept teasing her with this :)

I agree with Mary that we became a bunch of hostile people, but we should look at the roots of the problem, sometimes the ones that feel offended are the ones that interpret it wrong. As someone else has said, there are three ways to take cristicism. I learned to accept it and learn from it. This only makes me better. I know SAS didn't mean to offend anyone.

And, by the way, Sallyanne, I love reading your posts, just because your sentences are so well structured and I can really understand your words. Sometimes, when I read some posts, I have to pronounce the words, so I can understand what the meaning is :)

Randi
07-15-2003, 11:50 AM
Viorica, I agree that it's a pleasure to read people's posts which are well structured, and we can learn so much from it. :)

I too tend to skip the badly written posts, I just don't have the time.

Edwina's Secretary
07-15-2003, 02:39 PM
Once I had a guy working for me who was very smart -- he had his Phd. etc. He knew ancient Greek and Latin. His memos however, were HORRIBLE. Long, long sentences, complex paragraphs that went on for a page. Just looking at his memos no one wanted to read them. AND... he thought it amusing to make up new words using Greek and Latin root words.

I tried and tried to explain to him that communications is ONLY successful if it is read and the reader understands the thoughts, feelings, or ideas you are trying to convey. If the reader doesn't read it or understand...it doesn't matter how clever you are....you failed!

Good writing is a joy....bad writing...well it's agony!

Kfamr
07-17-2003, 01:58 PM
Mary, I had thought you left once or twice... Did you make more names on here?

As for Pet Talk being hostile, no one seemed a bit hostile when I met them all at the meeting. :)