PDA

View Full Version : NAMES??

shais_mom
10-26-2001, 01:08 AM
I know we have discussed this topic several times at great legnths. :( But I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas for my new golden retreiver puppy that should be coming home in 2-3 weeks!!!
Here is some possibilties: (everyone on instant messenger laughed at me!!) :) :) b/c the list keeps growing!!!
Here are some names with K
for Kylie:
Kamali - spirit guide - protector
Kalila - beloved
Kana- powerful
Karma (I really like this one!)
Kaluha (and this one)
Khalil - friend
Kin- golden
Kyria- ladylike
Kenya
Keegan

and others
Tequila Rose (like this one also)
Sierra
Choe (Korean for beautiful)
Chloe
Cleo
Bourban( good name for a Golden and
in honor of our Pettalk's Bourban.)

~~~~I know I will have to get to know the puppy first and then decide, but I just wondered if anyone had any ideas!!!~~~~

I would really like to use "Spirit" as a middle name in honor of Shaianne. I would also like to use Shaianne's name someway/somehow on her registration papers, as a tribute to her.
for ex:
Shaianne's Choe Spirit
would mean Shaianne's Beautiful Spirit
And I just think the names Karma, Kaluha, and Tequila are neat!!!!!
Thanks for all the help!!
:D :D ;) ;)

;

[ October 26, 2001: Message edited by: shais_mom ]

shais_mom
10-26-2001, 01:14 AM
I forgot!! This would be an excellant place to Thank Aly for my banner in my signature!!She made it and showed me one night while I was instant message with her.
I think its gorgeous!!!
Beautifully done Aly!!! Thank you from the bottom of my heart!!
Hugs!

DoggiesAreTheBest
10-26-2001, 05:57 AM
shais_mom,
Got a thing for liquor? :D :D
Is your puppy going to be a female or a male?
Maybe that will help folks out making suggestions.

AdoreMyDogs
10-26-2001, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by shais_mom:
<STRONG>
Karma (I really like this one!)

Kin- golden

Keegan

[ October 26, 2001: Message edited by: shais_mom ]</STRONG>

I LOVE the name Keegan, but I think it's a more masculine (sp?) name, and not sure if you were planning on a girlie or a boy pup. Kin and Karma are also great and those could go either way in my opinion. I am a big fan of unique, uncommon names, so those are the names that attracted me. So have you met the bundle of golden fur yet? Do you have any idea if you want to get a boy or girl? Has the breeder picked one out for you yet?

Logan
10-26-2001, 07:01 AM
Staci, are you getting excited?? :D I am excited for you! I can smell the puppy breath from here! :)

There was a cat of the day this week named Mable, and I just loved that name. Also, check the names list on the GR site. Its on the left side, near the top, I think. It has an ongoing list of all the names the members have given their dogs. There is even one named Logan! :p

DoggiesAreTheBest
10-26-2001, 07:14 AM
Here are a few ideas.

Ameretto
Anais (pretty for a girlie pup)
Bailey
Bianca
Champagne
Fleur (Flower in French)
Gatsby
Hazel
Ivy
Juniper
Lily
Maple
Martini
Orion
Ruby
Savvanah

Or you could look for names in Greek or Roman mythology.

Just a thought.

AdoreMyDogs
10-26-2001, 07:41 AM
I used to work with a woman who had a golden girl named Autumn. Being that they are the color of fallen autumn leaves, I think that's a real pretty name.

Angels3
10-26-2001, 08:13 AM
Here's a site where you can type in any English word & it'll get translated into Hawaiin. If you scroll to the bottom, you can also click on Hawaiin Pet Names or Baby names.
I like the Hawaiin name 'Kalani'.
I typed in our tibbie's name 'Angel' & up came the Hawaiin match 'Anela'. I think that's pretty!
http://www.hisurf.com/hawaiian/dictionary.html

But maybe when you see your puppy, the right name will jump into your head. That's happened with all our dogs. When I first saw our new tri-colour sheltie (a rescue), he LOOKED like a 'Danny' to me.
And when we got our golden tibetan spaniel, she LOOKED like an 'Angel' to me. Yet I would never have thought of naming a dog 'Angel'!
Marie

purrley
10-26-2001, 08:15 AM
I like Karma for a girl and Karmon for a boy.

Dixieland Dancer
10-26-2001, 08:44 AM
OMG only 2 or 3 weeks away! How exciting. I can smell the puppy breath too! I just love puppy breath and think they should bottle the smell.

Here are my suggestions:

Since you seem to want K names:
Kacey
Klondike
Kirby
King
Kenya

Non K names may be:
Dakota
Harley
Darby
Gunner
Prince
Chance
Cheyenne (Close to Shaianne)

We want to see pictures as soon as possible!!!!!!

ilovehounds
10-26-2001, 08:55 AM
I have always loved the name Summer for a golden.

Summer Spirit ...... kinda has a ring to it :D

10-26-2001, 09:42 AM
I am very very very very partial to Keegan. I think I mentioned that to you on AIM. Keegan Shai is what I like -- Or Keegan Spirit... Or Shaianne's Keegan Spirt. Everyone has come up with some great great suggestions. I do agree though, that a name will just come to you that will stick. That is how I named Lexi and Maddie.

But, here are some suggestions:

Oh, wait, CRAP! I forgot if you friend picked out a boy or girl for you... I want to say boy... so here are names that I really like for boys and girls:

Keegan
Keegan
Keegan
Keegan
Keegan

ha ha ha - just kidding... I just love that name!!!

AdoreMyDogs
10-26-2001, 09:54 AM
Angel, I also have a fondness for that name. I also like the name Keegan and Keegan. Keegan is a nice name too.

Angel, I babysat for a baby named Keegan several years back. He was adorable and I absolutely loved his name.

Golden Smiles
10-26-2001, 11:03 AM
How exciting Staci!!! :D I LOVE the names Karma and Kahlua!! I bet you are having trouble sleeping, I know i would be! 2-3 weeks will be here before ya know it! Hmmmmmm Karma Spirit,.......Kahlua Spirit, I like them both! I can't wait to see pix!!

kobieeli
10-26-2001, 11:04 AM
How exciting to be naming a new bundle o' joy! I remember our extensive list of possibilities during the first week we had Eli--for every one name we'd cross off the list (hoping to narrow it down to the one *perfect* name), we'd put 2-3 more onto the list. :rolleyes: Then the ideal one just hit us like a bolt from the blue!

We had neighbors once who owned a beautiful Golden named Oro (Spanish for "gold"). The name sounds especially terrific if you can roll your R's! Another person I know has a Golden named Osa (Spanish for "little she-bear"). Kinda neat ideas, but perhaps not what you're looking for...&lt;sigh&gt; I tried!

[ October 26, 2001: Message edited by: kobieeli ]

Daisy's Mom
10-26-2001, 11:46 AM
I love all of the names! Cleo and Chloe are probably my favorites. I LOVE them! And I know a girl named Keegan, actually, so it's not a 100% masculine name. I also like the names Kahlua and Autumn. You're all so creative! Since I am doing some Spanish homework right now, I have these going through my head: Bonita means 'pretty' in Spanish, and Perrita means puppy. Estrella means star (Estrellita for little star), and Brille means shine. Okay I'm done ;) Oh and my sister would probably kill me for saying this but her name is Mackenzie and I think that's a beautiful name ;) We call her Kenzie most of the time, or sometimes Kenz.

shais_mom
10-26-2001, 12:45 PM
OK, first off I am getting a girl she is red/gold so she can go either way colorwise.
HOPEFULLY I will see her tomorrow if it is convenient for everyone.
The only reason I like the K names is b/c I think it would be cute to have Kylie and K?????.
HE HE a thing for alcohol!!! ha ha !! Well, I like the name Kaluha but it is more fitting for a Chesapeake or a chocalate lab. And she could be the color of Tequila or Champagne!! he he there is a reason for the madness!!

BUT I do have to clarify something for myself and for everyone else in case you are confused!
I only want to use Shaianne's name on the registration papers, If someone asks her name I would not say Shaianne's --- --- b.c I do not want to call her that. A friend of mine's little girl thinks I should name her Shaianne 2!! I think the name Cayenne is awesome for a golden but can't use it b/c it is soo close to Shaianne.
But when I said in my first post:
for ex:
Shaianne's Choe Spirit
would mean Shaianne's Beautiful Spirit
but that would go both ways I would call the puppy Choe and it would mean she is a Beautiful Spirit. I just wanted to clarify that for anyone who didn't understand what I wanted to do!! :)

Terri, I am not having any trouble sleepin, work keeps me busy enough that I am worn out, but I probably will be like the day or 2 before, I won't be able to sleep!
Logan, I have checked out the names on GR. I saw Lily but not Honey!! I think! maybe vice versa!

OOHHOOHH! I forgot, I also REALLY like the name Aspen.
My friend wants me to name her Autumn.
When I told another friend "I will just have to see her and get to know her, all these names will probably be forgotten." and she said "yeah, maybe you will name her Phyliss"
:) :D :) :D LOL
Thanks for the suggestions and keep them coming!!!

ShepherdLover
10-26-2001, 12:47 PM
I help out a friend of mine that breeds GSD's and this list (http://www.puppydogweb.com/names/names.htm) has proven to be very helpful.

Good luck and naming him!!! I just can't wait to see pictures! ;)

SimbaTWonderDog
10-26-2001, 03:31 PM
How 'bout the name Kiara.... Its another charactor from The Lion King II. I think Keegan is more of a guys name.. but whatever you choose it is fine as long as you like it and it fits for you!

aly
10-26-2001, 09:59 PM
Staci, hi :) I have been talking to you on AIM about names and I love every single one you suggest. I think when the time comes, you will just know what her name is. I also love everyone's suggestions. Autumn and Summer are really pretty names. And I'll always like the name Sunny (or Sunnie) for Goldens and Labs. Hmm, how about Shaianne's Summer Breeze... or , eeek, I can't think of anymore. I worked too long today, brain is mush :eek:

You have great ideas. I can't wait to see what you decide on. And tell us all about it if you get to see her tomorrow :)

Logan
10-26-2001, 10:52 PM
Staci, did you ever see a picture of Sunny from the Golden Retriever board??? Take a look......This Sunny is a "he", but just gorgeous!!! I am so excited for you! :D

http://wsphotofews.excite.com/024/82/eW/eP/Tr12278.jpg

I'm sure whatever you pick will be just perfect!!!! And I'm going over to make sure my Honey's name is on that list!!! LOL! I checked and they are both there, with the correct spellings and everything! Wonder why you didn't see them?
:confused: Well, anyway, they are there, and as soon as you pick a name for your new puppy, I'll add it too! Hope you get to see that baby tomorrow. :)

[ October 26, 2001: Message edited by: Logan ]

Dixieland Dancer
10-27-2001, 05:16 AM
SUNNY is one beautiful 24kt PURE GOLD heart warming boy! The turtle has good taste! LOL :D

tatsxxx11
10-27-2001, 05:22 AM
I love all of the names! But especially the one's with a seasonal touch...Autumn, Sunny, but most of all "Shaianne's Summer Spirit"....Since Star was named after the spirit of her Rainbow Bridge sister lab, who passed in Sept. (the day Star was born) I named her Jingle's Miracle Autumn Star. I think the idea of including Shaianne's name is a very special and lovely thought. Whichever you pick, I know it will be a beautiful name. All of the suggestions are!

Pam
10-27-2001, 06:51 AM
Staci you have some really terrific names here to consider. I like them all but I think my favorites are Summer and Autumn. They both just seem like perfect Golden names. Also you will be getting her in the Autumn so maybe that name might be nice. I also like Aspen! In keeping with liquor names... :o I know a little Lhaso named Chablis and they call her Chabby for short.

shais_mom
10-27-2001, 10:59 AM
I SAW THE PUPPY!! I SAW THE PUPPY!!
SOOOOOOO CUTE!!!
I am in love!!!!! Very very sweet!!
She is probably going to be red. As her ears are dark, her momma is blonde. And her momma is TINY!!! She is 3-4 and was the runt of the litter, and she probably only weighs 40-50 lbs, I thought she was maybe 9mos to a year that is how small she was!!
I took pics, and my friend, Stacy (yep that's her name too!!)took my pic with her, I am warning right now tho I had just woken up and went to meet her, it wasn't pretty!!! :) :O
But I don't matter its the puppy that matters!!!!
She is soooooo sweet! The name Aspen or Karma kept coming to me as I was holding her. Karma b/c I feel that Shai was smiling down on me as I was holding her. I feel she was even happier, knowing I was happy again.
She was raised with a litter of kittens running around also, so she will be used to cats, which is great. The smell of Puppy Breath was heaven!!! Anti-depressant!!
The litter is getting their pictures taken on November 18 I think, so I'm sure I can have her after then. They were all sooo cute!! Now when you see the pics after I get them developed, don't ask me which one my puppy was b/c once I set her down with them she was lost in sea of golden!!! All the puppies were swarming around all over each other I couldn't tell who was who!!!
Well, hopefully I can get the pics developed and posted by Friday!!! :( such a lonnnnng wait, I know!!
I just hope you can see them and the pics turn out!!!

Dixieland Dancer
10-27-2001, 11:27 AM
Dixie is in heat again and we are not breeding her this time. Now I feel like we should (but were aren't) cause I just love little Golden puppies!. I am sooooo jealous and can't wait to see the pictures.

Staci,
Make sure you aren't getting her too early. She should be no younger than 7 weeks and preferrably 8 weeks. Most puppies that leave the litter too soon have separation anxiety and lack proper socialization skills. Weeks 6-8 are critical learning weeks for bonding with their littermates. Weeks 8-12 are critical bonding weeks for their humans. Around week 12-14 is the fear weeks. This is when they get spooked real easy and things just really frighten them. It is really important that you make sure the little one is secure during this period.

I can't wait to see the pictures! Aspen is a wonderful name for a Golden!

ktreva52
10-27-2001, 07:47 PM
Well, I have to go against the tide here, 'cause names like Autumn and Summer for a Goldie are so (pardon--in MY opinion) common. How about Shaianne's Petit Kamali, since you say the dam is small? It's 23 letters/spaces which fits in the AKC 26. You would also be welcome to use "k'Treva" which I borrowed from Mercedes Lackey's books. Trev would be honored and so would I. What about Katrina? Phyllis is my aunt's name and she's 88, so I don't think she'd mind, either.

So, exciting you're getting a new little person in a fur suit. The thing I do when working on names is try them as though I were going to call the dog in the obedience ring -- Kamali, come! (I figure if I wouldn't be embarassed to yell that in the ring, it might work) That works for me, how about for you? Exact date of pick-up? Looking forward to pictures. :D

Angels3
10-27-2001, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Pam:
<STRONG>t In keeping with liquor names... :o I know a little Lhaso named Chablis and they call her Chabby for short.</STRONG>

Pam. we have friends who own a toy poodle called Champagne...but always called Champers, for short., (Pronounced 'Shampers.')

In keeping with the 'spirit' names, we once had a beautiful white Persian cat with blue eyes that we called 'Chaillie'.

'Chaillie' is the way the Latin word for Heaven, 'Coeli' is pronounced.
Marie

Daisy's Mom
10-27-2001, 09:46 PM
I can't wait for pictures!!!! I'm soo excited for you, Staci! I like Aspen for a name too.

Dixieland Dancer
10-29-2001, 10:09 AM
I know it's not quite the same but I have a Golden puppy picture that may tide us over until we get to see Staci's. This is our Runt of the litter being fed before the other little piglets in our last litter earlier this spring.

http://wsphotofews.excite.com/001/gG/72/Qz/0A41227.jpg

Rottie
10-29-2001, 02:52 PM
You're getting a female right?

I train a Golden in agility, his name is Kracker, but it'd probably work for a female too! :D

Logan
10-29-2001, 03:03 PM
Oh my goodness, Dixieland! What a precious, precious photograph. I know you knew that I would immediately start drooling over it....and I have :rolleyes: LOL! Thanks for sharing that precious photo. Staci, we can't wait to see yours too!!! :)

tatsxxx11
10-29-2001, 03:59 PM
HOW precious. Yes, a little piglet! :D It just may hold us over till the big day! :)

Daisy's Mom
10-29-2001, 06:52 PM
Awwwwwwww what a sweet picture! Thanks Dixie, that should help us wait just a little :)

shais_mom
10-31-2001, 01:16 AM
Crow Noir and I were discussing on IM and I think she agreed with me.
How about Trinity?? for Me, Kylie and da pup?
Shaianne's Trinity nickname Karma?? or Trinity.
I kinda like nickname Karma.

hhhhhmmmmmmm
this just popped in my head.
Lyric
Shaianne's Lyric.
mmmmmmmm

Dixieland Dancer
10-31-2001, 08:57 AM
I still really like Aspen! :eek:

aly
10-31-2001, 09:17 AM
Hehe Staci. Go with the name you feel in your heart. Whatever it is, I'm sure it will be beautiful because you have a great taste in names.

I can't wait for the pictures. I'll be here squirming in my chair until you post them later this week :D

[ October 31, 2001: Message edited by: aly ]

jackiesdaisy1935
10-31-2001, 11:37 AM
Every time I see a Puppy Picture I WANT one of them. That Golden Puppy is adorable, I WANT one.
My picks for names are #1 Summer #2 Autumn
Jackie

10-31-2001, 12:55 PM
Okay, I think Trinity is a great idea too. You will have to look at the puppy and if you feel it, and it sounds right you will know it :D

But, Shaianne's Trinity has a great symbolism to it... I pictured her in heaven with her little Angel's wings, and the 3 of you beneath the wings, like she is watching over you all. So, it would be her own little Trinity of love to watch over.

Anyway, I love the name and whatever you decide will come from your heart and you will know it's right... Just like Aly says.

I cannot wait to see the pics! :)