PDA

View Full Version : fencing is bad?????

lovemyshiba
07-02-2003, 03:58 PM
We are finally in the last stages of our landscaping--installing the fence!!!! I keep telling the dogs how great it's going to be!!!
Anyway, so this lady walks by with her dog today, and my husband is out with Kito, and she asks if he is friendly, hubby tells her no (we've found that's just easier with strangers and other dogs sometimes), and then she looks around the back of the house. After my husband walked away, she asked one of the landscapers "are you putting up a fence for them?" The guy tells her yes, and she says "That's so mean. I would never do that to my dogs":confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

What a moron!!!
What would she never do to her dogs--keep them from danger by enclosing them in the yard??
Ensuring that they don't run onto the street and get hit by a car??
Being responsible and keeping the dogs in her yard, so they aren't running all over the neighborhood??
Let them enjoy the outside without having to be leashed??

I could go on, but I just thought it was a dumb statement to make. I'm sure almost everyone here has a fence in their yard, and the last thing it is is mean to our dogs. We are doing it FOR the dogs!!!

Cincy'sMom
07-02-2003, 04:04 PM
I'm with you...how is giving the dogs, a safe place, outisde to enjoy themselves bad for the dogs?!? Unless maybe she thought you were going to leave them out all the time?

Well to each his own...I'm sure your dogs will ove the freedom...and so will you!

primabella
07-02-2003, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by lovemyshiba
I keep telling the dogs how great it's going to be!!!

lol your telling the dogs? I bet they're so excited ;)

You should have just told her, "It's so our mean dog doesn't get loose" Hehe ;)

Leave that moron be as irresponsible as she wants. A fenced in yard is a MUST if you want a dog (I think).

lovemyshiba
07-02-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Cincy'sMom
Unless maybe she thought you were going to leave them out all the time?

I hadn't thought about that.. maybe she did think that, and I just jumped to a conclusion.

Ha ha Prima--that's what we need to tell people --"to keep our mean dog in" :D :D

KYS
07-02-2003, 07:09 PM
That woman's statement was so silly. :rolleyes:

tomkatzid
07-02-2003, 09:16 PM
The very first thing I did when I moved here was to build a fence. Then a garage. Fence first for Tonee.:) Garage later for my car, which now is parked outside all the time, because the garage is too full of bikes:)

tikeyas_mom
07-02-2003, 11:48 PM
we have a six foot hight fenced yard, it came with the house. We also have a HUGE backyard. so the dogs love it, they are never outside anyways, they like it inside more. lol silly puppies. :rolleyes:. That lady was really ignorant for making that statement, no matter what she ment by it.

anna_66
07-03-2003, 07:16 AM
:rolleyes: Some people.

4 Dog Mother
07-03-2003, 07:25 AM
Fencing the yard is NOT being mean to your dogs. I agree that it is the safe, wise thing to do. For years when we just had Oreo and even Dazzi we did not have a fenced part of the yard. Now that we have five we do have a fenced area for them. But the point was that even with just Oreo, there were times when no matter how careful we were, she got away from us. And no matter how quiet your neighborhood is, it only takes one car to kill a dog, She was never hit but I still feel much safer having the fence,then when we didn't.

robinh
07-03-2003, 08:00 AM
My sister is here visiting from California with her four dogs and at home they can't go out without being on a leash since they don't have a yard of their own. Here they love our fenced back yard - they can wander and sniff to their heart's content and go potty in private. They will even go out into the yard, lay with their head up and close their eyes - they just look so serene and relaxed.

You and your furbabies will love having a fenced yard!