PDA

View Full Version : To Muzzle or Not to Muzzle?

BoxerLover
05-15-2001, 05:19 PM
My boxer, Nikki, has MAJOR problems with barking, especially at guys (because she was abused by a male who wore baseball hats before we rescued her). We have tried everything to make her stop, from squirt bottles to citranella to eloctronic devices. Nothing works! My family and I have been tossing around the idea of getting her one of those muzzles that lets the dog pant, eat, and drink, but doesnt let them bark or bite. She looks very scary when she barks, and she does it all the time when we are in puplic. She has been known to make ten year olds cry, just by her bark. People are scared of her, and I am scared she is going to bite one of the men that we encounter on a walk. She really HATES men! Something to do with her abusive past, I guess. Let me know what you think. She would only wear it when we go in public, and maybe she'd learn to not bark from it. Help!

aly
05-15-2001, 05:49 PM
Have you tried slowly exposing her to kind, gentle men offering treats? Maybe if she could get used to men, she won't feel as threatened and have to bark.

05-16-2001, 07:53 PM
I don't necessarily like having to use muzzles but they do help. My dogs bark only when we are gone, like they are extra protective. One of my dogs also eats everything is site while we are gone so we have resorted to muzzles. They are harmless as long as they are put on properly and not to tight. We use the nylon muzzle that allows them to still drink water. Unfortunately we have to use them while the dogs are home alone which I hate but I can't think of anything else to do. I also make sure we are not gone for more than 3 hours when one or all of them are wearing the muzzle. Putting a muzzle on your dog for public appearences seems a lot nicer than what I have to do because your dog is supervised.

I hope no one thinks that what I have to do is cruel. I already hate having to use the muzzles while we are gone but I would rather use them and let the girls run in and out the doggie door instead of locking them in the house... I am terrified of a fire or something horrible happening while we are gone http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif

Angel

BoxerLover
05-17-2001, 06:18 AM
Aly-
We have tried slowly exposing her to men with treats on the street, but she seems to get used to that peticular one, and just barks at the next one we see. I fear it will be a continuing phobia, because of her gruesome past. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif

DoggieMom-
What brand of muzzles do you use? I understand why you might need to muzzle them, considering they bark and chew so much. Do you think Nikki will like the muzzle if I get her one? How did your dogs react?

karen israel
05-17-2001, 10:00 AM
I'm no expert but have you tried a "Halti?" instead of a muzzle? It looks like a muzzle but helps you control the dog- it doesn't cover the nose it straps around it. You can give the command "no barks" or whatever as you give a yank on the leash and Nikki can eat, drink, pant, and bark but it's a good training tool. Funny that my Cody really dislikes men he doesn't know (some neighbors and relatives he's fine with)since we got him as a wee pup and he was not exposed to cruelity or mistreatment. I think cause 2 females did most of the training, he's very protective. When I walk Cody and we pass people, I still hold his leash gently but I know his every move so if I feel he's about to go crazy, I give a gentle yank, say "leave it" and walk normal. I found if I get too nervous and scared, he gets worse. I've been trying this for a month or so and he seems better. Nikki seems soo sweet. I hope everything turns out ok in time. maybe you should muzzle and chain the previous owner, the jerk.

05-17-2001, 01:26 PM
We just went to PetSmart and bought the ones they have. They are a nylon muzzle the covers their snout and buckles behind their head. They can still drink water with it, provided you buy the right size. My dogs act like we have sentenced them to death when we put them on. But, they just go lay down and pout and all is quiet. It is really funny when we take them off... they run all over the house rubbing their snouts on anything they can and use their front paws to scratch their faces.

So, they don't like them but it is harmless. You could just try it out on Nikki and see what happens. That is what's cool about PetSmart... you can bring them with you and the package with the muzzles opens so you can try the muzzle out on her right there in the store.

Angel

Angel

Dixie Belle
05-18-2001, 01:11 AM
My grandmother had a dog that didn't like men either. The bad part is that he was one of Mama Dog's puppies. Right before he turned three, he went after my dad. I hope you can find something to help with your dog. I agree with Aly. Maybe the treat thing will work. It's going to take a lot of patience and a lot of time. Good luck.

tatsxxx11
05-18-2001, 06:32 AM
BoxerLover...I have the same issue with my husky/shep Cody. She was rescued from a very abusive home (male) and WILL NOT allow any man to enter the property without a terrifying display of barking. She barks at men walking by (fenced yard) and will jump up onto the fence with her very beautiful, but frightening to many, ice blue eyes and scares everyone! Oddly, off the property, away from her territory, she is absolutely fine, though a little shy. My male vet can do anyting to her without her reacting negatively. But even my UPS man has resorted to just tossing my packages over the fence instead of waiting for a signature! I know how frustrating it is. But, the advice of the other memebers posted here is well taken. I have to gradually expose her to strangers entering the house or yard. I keep her on a leash, the visitor approaching gradually with kind, soft, positive words. She sees me responding positively to the person. Then the introduction of a treat or cookie by the visitor. After a few visits, she becomes trusting, and many of the male visitors have become great friends. Of course, your visitor has to be someone who is patient and willing to go through the "process!" I think, though, that Cody will forever bark protectively at strangers walking by, especially men. I have thought about anti barking devices too, but I can't bear the thought of "punishing" her any further than she has already been. Those devices cause her to cower and the look of fear on her face is heartbreaking. If she barks, I just get her a verbal "No, barking...It's OK" etc. and give her the "come" command. Since you have this issue off your property as well, I think the halti or gentle leader lead could be very helpful. I know of many guardians who have great success with this gentle means of control. Good Luck! I know what you're going through!

Stenograsaurus
05-18-2001, 08:52 AM
Hello, Boxerlover. I was the type of person who used to hate to see a dog muzzled. My story is a little long but you have to read it. My beloved Rottie, Kilo, started become really protective when we moved to the country four years ago. He seemed to think that everything and everybody walking by our house was going to harm us. One day this past January I tied him out. Less than five minutes later I looked out the front door and saw that he was loose. I opened the door and called him in. I looked to my right and saw my neighbor about 30 yards away with a look of terror on her face. Kilo had bit her. Fortunately it was winter and he only got her coat. Well, in Pennsylvania, there is a one bite dog law pertaining to "dangerous" breeds, so we had to have him put down. I can tell you without a doubt that if I had it to do over again, he would have had a muzzle on him that day. I used to hate to see a muzzle on a dog, but I would give anything to be able to look out the front door and see Kilo out there with a muzzle looking at me with those big brown eyes.
Good luck in whatever you decide and let us know how it's going.

BoxerLover
05-18-2001, 09:21 PM
Thanks everyone.
We are taking Nikki to Pet Supplies Plus on Sunday to try on some muzzles, gentle halti things, etc... I hope we can find something that works. I dont want Nikki to bite or scare any males...ever. Thank you everyone, I'll let you know what happens. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

BoxerLover
05-21-2001, 03:31 PM
We ended up not getting one because she just kept pawing and jumping at it. She really didnt like it.
Thanks for all the posts! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif Keep posting if you want!

*LabLoverKEB*
05-21-2001, 04:01 PM
I suggest that you eathier talk to your vet, or go to www.drsfostersmith.com, (http://www.drsfostersmith.com,) and on the left-hand-side, there will be a search box. Go there, and type in, "muzzles", and they will give you a list of different muzzles, and you can click on whatever one you like! Or, you can go to www.allpets.com, (http://www.allpets.com,) and go to the search box, and also type in, "muzzles", and they will give you a list of different kinds of muzzles! I hope that helps! The best thing to do is eathier talk to your vet, or get the muzzle you said you like, the one where the dog can eat, pant, drink, ect, and stop it from barking and biting! Good luck!!!! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

Stenograsaurus
05-23-2001, 08:33 AM
Hey, Boxer Lover. I just wanted to let you know about my Shepherd mix (Patience). She started barking at everybody like my Rottie did. I was afraid she would travel down the same path he did, so I have a muzzle for her now. The other day a neighbor came to the door. She was barking at him and wouldn't stop, so I put the muzzle on her. She didn't like it at all. The next day there were some girls in the front yard with my nephew. Patience started barking at them. I told her no barking. She barked again, so I picked up the muzzle and pointed to it. She stopped barking and didn't bark again.

RachelJ
05-23-2001, 01:18 PM
I'm sorry, I have to laugh. I pictured my threatening Hannah with a muzzle. Her reply to me would be "But first you have to catch me to put it on."