PDA

View Full Version : Furball =\

primabella
07-01-2003, 03:03 PM
I usually brush Mick's coat out regularly and I try to get out everything. I guess I missed a spot...behind the ear. I found this huge furball. I was able to detangle most of it but there is still some hair in a tight knot. I don't know what to do to get it out. I tried my best to take it out without making it tighter. Any ideas on what to do? Since I found the furball, I've been brushing him extra well lol

Please help :confused:

tikeyas_mom
07-01-2003, 03:05 PM
time for a snip snip lol ;). just cut it out. sometimes when Oscar gets HUGE burs in his tail we have to cut them out. :eek:. it is ok though because his hair grows fast ;).

GoldenRetrLuver
07-01-2003, 03:07 PM
tikeyas_mom,
Sheltie and Collie hair is diferent from regular dog hair, if they get cut, there hair grows back abnormaly, thats why you really shouldnt cut it and you have to be careful..

I hate it when that happens...Molly gets those too..I dont know how though, I brush her out really well! Have you tried getting the rest of it out with the brush? If that doesnt work add a little water on the knot...it makes it easier to get out, at least for me..lol :)

Airedalekisses
07-01-2003, 03:15 PM
sounds odd but the stuff for kids called No More Tangles helps somewhat. the 'dales used to get these rope like cords in between their toes-a few spritzes after a bath and voila the ropes became combable.

primabella
07-01-2003, 03:52 PM
I was thinking of cutting it but then it would be uneven...as Julie said. I've tried using the brush, getting the bristle sin between in and stuff but it's nto working. Wouldn't water tighten the knot? I'll try it anyways I guess...thanks :)

GoldenRetrLuver
07-01-2003, 03:56 PM
lol, i guess thats true! hehe...works for me! ;) Oh, do you have a shedding rake? Im no sure if it will work, but its worth a try...

wolfsoul
07-01-2003, 06:25 PM
I think that scissors would be the only way out. ;) If you cut it in the middle, you should be able to untangle the hairs from there on.

wolf_Q
07-01-2003, 06:38 PM
It's very common for dogs to get those behind the ears. Depending on how bad it is, it's usually too difficult to brush it out. You may be able to cut it out with scissors, but be VERY careful. The skin back there is very tender, and usually those mats are so tight it's really hard to tell between skin and fur....somebody once brought in an aussie...they tried to cut one of those out behind it's ear and ended up cutting him really bad where he needed stitches.

Try to loosen it up as much as possible with a comb, if you feel like it's far enough away from the skin, I would cut it with scissors. Sometimes it works well if you cut the mat in half. If not, I'd take him to a groomer and see if they could just shave that out for you.

Sheltie and Collie hair is diferent from regular dog hair, if they get cut, there hair grows back abnormaly, thats why you really shouldnt cut it and you have to be careful..

Very true, I'd never recommend shaving the dog entirely, but it's common to have to shave behind the ears and I think it'd grow back just fine.

primabella
07-01-2003, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll see tonight when he's sleepy so he's not too fidgety (:p) and I'll try to cut it out. Thanks again :D