PDA

View Full Version : PETA erks me off!

allanimalswelcome
07-01-2003, 11:09 AM
Okay first I am all for animal rights. Ask anyone I know and they will tell you I am in love with absolutly every animal and respect them.

Well I support pretty much every organization for animal rights except PETA.

PETA I think only concentrates on testing, eating animals, and wearing fur. THERE'S MORE THEN THAT!

I personally don't think PETA knows diddly-squat about most animals. Did they know...
-1.4 million animals don't feel pain during testing?
-Pfizer only uses white rats for blood samples and genetics?
-It was Jane Goodal who saw that chimps will hunt wild boar?
-Scientests suggest fish do not feel pain when fished because they release more pain killers from the brain then humans?
-Many people believe deer and cow do not releaze death?

*NOTE I AM NOT FOR ANIMAL TESTING I AM JUST STATING FACTS*

PETA requests $16 a year to stay a member. Lets see PETA doesn't run a sanctuary or a shelter so what does the money go to? PETA claims that the money "goes right towards the animals"
How? Buying some cardboard to write "FREE THE CHICKENS" on? Do they give money to other sanctuaries and shelters? Nope. Did they care when I woman asked them to protest someone who was abusing primates she sold as pets and was doing "kitchen surgery"? No

So I just had to say that I'm really sick of PETA. There are better organazations people could support.

~Rachel

RubyMutt
07-01-2003, 01:36 PM
I have a feeling this will turn into a long & angry thread, I'm a little hesitant to say my opinion... oh well

I am not a card carrying member of PETA (as I am writing this I'm eating pork goyza & wearing leather shoes :(), but I do support some of the things PETA does. Even if I do eat meat & have products that contain animal by-products (believe me, I often feel guilty about that) I don't care what anyone says, I STILL DO LOVE ANIMALS!! A few months ago I donated some money to PETA (I can't remember what for ...), but consequently I have been receiving a lot of mailings from them (maybe that's where all that money goes ;)). Just the other day I got a survey asking for my opinion on animal testings. While the survey had questions on using animals for testing beauty products, household cleaners, and what not, it did not mention using animal testing for medical purposes. While I am against animal testing for the first reasons, I do support animal testing for medical purposes (however, it would be nice if the animals had more humane treatment :(). I know several people who would definitely not be alive today if it weren't for animal testing. I do not think those animals die in vain. It bothered me that PETA failed to mention that.

allanimalswelcome
07-01-2003, 02:09 PM
I eat meat. I eat organic.

Well you would think after PETA rants on about animals kept in tiny cages and battery hens, etc. they would like the fact many people have switched to eating animals that are farm raised and kept in adequete houseing but alas there is no pleasing them.

I can't wear leather. Many people think it's because I don't believe in it but I am allergic to the dyes they put in them.

I don't care what anyone says, I STILL DO LOVE ANIMALS!!

I couldn't agree more.

A few months ago I donated some money to PETA (I can't remember what for ...), but consequently I have been receiving a lot of mailings from them (maybe that's where all that money goes )

If it does think of all the money they could be donating to sanctuaries and other animal rights fondations.

Pfizer uses rats for medical reasons. They don't test but they do take blood samples and things like that. Oh but according to PETA that's a crime. Hey don't they take blood samples when you bring your pets to the vet?

~Rachel

RubyMutt
07-01-2003, 07:23 PM
Agreed.

I try as much as possible to eat range grown & organic fed livestock. The majority of fruit & veggies I eat are organic as well. I try to avoid buying anything that contains animal by-products, but it still happens. When I read some of the stuff PETA has on their website they make me feel like a criminal or something :rolleyes: I love that PETA cares so much for animals, but I agree with what you said in your first post - I think there are better organizations than PETA that you could support.

mugsy
07-01-2003, 10:13 PM
I am not a fan of PETA either, but, I think their ideas are, at heart, good ones, but they carry it way over the top. I am against testing on animals and animal abuse and killing baby seals for their fur and lots and lots of things that they fight, but, again, I don't like most of their tactics.

PS(Just to stir the pot a little bit more....Mike always tells people he is a member of PETA.....People Eating Tasty Animals.....he LOVES to joke and stir)

Cheshirekatt
07-01-2003, 10:58 PM
I absolutely cannot and will not support PETA in any way shape or form.

They advocate killing every single pit bull that comes into any shelter, regardless of temperment, to make room for the 'nice dogs'.

Wow, I see how this works. Save the chickens but kill the pit bulls.

This attitude does not impress me.

mugsy
07-01-2003, 11:03 PM
I thought their idea was to save ALL animals. Interesting.:mad:

allanimalswelcome
07-02-2003, 07:32 AM
I think PETA has the right ideas (don't kill animals for fur, testing animals, etc) but they go nuts about it. One lab stated they were getting very threatening letters for PETA and phone calls too. If you want someone to change there ways saying they are going to burn in hell isn't exactly the way to do it.

PS(Just to stir the pot a little bit more....Mike always tells people he is a member of PETA.....People Eating Tasty Animals.....he LOVES to joke and stir)

:D

I remember last year their was this girl in one of my classes who was a member of PETA. She would scream at us and say sugar was made of...whatever animal part she could think of. It got kinda funny because I was always debating with her and every time I stated a really good point everyone would cheer.

They do!? OMG well know I can tell the PETA girl that PETA doesn't want her to own her dog.

~Rachel

RubyMutt
07-02-2003, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Cheshirekatt
They advocate killing every single pit bull that comes into any shelter, regardless of temperment, to make room for the 'nice dogs'.

:eek: OMG, I never knew that! That is horrible :mad: How did you find that out? Any links?
Grr, that makes me mad :mad:

allanimalswelcome
07-02-2003, 09:25 AM
http://www.helpinganimals.com/t-facts19.html

That was interesting. The site is PETA run.

~Rachel

Cheshirekatt
07-02-2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by RubyMutt
:eek: OMG, I never knew that! That is horrible :mad: How did you find that out? Any links?
Grr, that makes me mad :mad:

I read about this on Diane Jessup's web site.

www.workingpitbull.com

allanimalswelcome
07-02-2003, 10:42 AM
I found it on the "How YOU can help"

Sheesh. Another reason to add to my "Why PETA doesn't work" list.

~Rachel

allanimalswelcome
07-02-2003, 10:52 AM
Hey PETA doesn't support having pets either! How lovely...way to get people's attention!

I wrote on a PETA message board why they don't like pit bulls and where the money they get goes to.

~Rachel

lizbud
07-02-2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Cheshirekatt

This attitude does not impress me.

I don't believe this at all... Please direct me to a link or other
reliable source for the truth of this statement.If it's your opinion
just say so, if it's a true fact, show me.....

Cheshirekatt
07-02-2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by lizbud
I don't believe this at all... Please direct me to a link or other
reliable source for the truth of this statement.If it's your opinion
just say so, if it's a true fact, show me.....

The link is in an above post.....you should read all the posts. It's not just my opinion, or I would have stated that.

Diane Jessup is THE pit bull expert in the world. I have no doubt the info on her site is realiable and correct.

Unlike PETA she doesn't rely on propaganda.

lizbud
07-02-2003, 12:22 PM
So Diane Jessup says that PETA says, etc, etc,.

I have visited her site many times, and I understand she's
against PETA's stand on the ban on breeding of fighting dogs,
but nowhere I looked did she say what you said

"they (PETA)advocates the killing of all pit bulls coming into Shelters"

allanimalswelcome
07-02-2003, 01:54 PM
Look at the How YOU can help page.

I was jus thinking PETA recieves so much money they could help probably five chimp sactuaries with their land expansion projects.

~Rachel

allanimalswelcome
07-02-2003, 02:04 PM
http://www.peta.org/feat/ar2003/17.html

That's what PETA spends there money on.

CRAP!

~Rachel

cali
07-02-2003, 05:11 PM
I know i hate PETA they are giving animal lovers a bad name, everyone assumes that because I love animals that automaticly I am a vegitarian and want to be a vet. what the heck??? PETA gives people the impression that animal lovers are nuts, and are bad people. I am against what they stand for for many reasons, they do not support companion animals, they burn down breeders kennles with the dogs in them. they have poisind captive animals, they do nothing but protest and try to insist that if you can eat meat after seeing pictures they put on the net you are a horrable person, and hate animals. they obviously sont know what they are talking about, they want us to release our pets into the wild??? :eek: IMO PETA is a nutty orginization:rolleyes:

allanimalswelcome
07-02-2003, 05:59 PM
When I went to the PETA message boards the moderators were telling people how PETA would never do that but hey it's PETA so who knows:rolleyes:

I do support what PETA is against (factory farming, animals testing for beauty products, wearing fur) but I hate how they present it.

Yet they don't care that hundreds of captive dolphins are perishing, whaling is killing off thousands of endangered whales,and that a exotic pet seller is abusing her primates. To them that is the least of the probelms facing animals.

PETA has so much money they recieve from members. With that money they could
1.Support an organic food company
2.Help a cat sanctuary
3.Help a big cat sanctuary with an expansion project
4.Help a chimpanzee sanctuary with money to buy enrichment items
5.Open their own cow sanctuary (Could be rescued from Factory Farms)

Just to name a few...

~Rachel

Denyce
07-02-2003, 06:30 PM
I have always felt complete and utter disdain for PETA. They have the ability to wield quite a bit of political power and what do they do with this ability? Do they work harder for stiffer laws against animal cruelty? Do they step in when you hear of some horrific animal cruelty occuring? No. What PETA feels is most important is to get the town of Hamburg NY to change it's name to Veggieburg :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Give me a freaking break. Like that is soooo important.

However saying all of that I do believe that PETA serves an important purpose. In this world there must be a balance. In order for there to be a balance you must have extremes so that the majority can remain in the sane middle. PETA is just an extremist organization that helps in some karmic way to balance out the extremist animal abusers. :p

PETA is an organization that uses half truths and sometimes complete lies to spread propaganda and scare people who tend to believe everything they read. They are a self-serving FOR PROFIT group. I have heard people say...Oh I don't totally support what PETA does but they let me choose when I give money what it is going to be used for....:rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes: Yea. Right.

PETA has the ability to effect great change for the good towards animal welfare. Yet they commit a great sin by squandering and wasting those potential abilities.

Denyce
In my oh so humble opinion of course:D

allanimalswelcome
07-02-2003, 06:41 PM
Oh and change a Vermont's state drink from milk, Sheese.

Lies, Yes! Forget all that Koko the gorilla has tought us about her species! She's being mistreated! LIE Penny Paterson loves Koko to death and it's a mother daughter relationship. Oh but PETA won't tell you that.

Your money will be going towards better treatment for dogs in shelters. Yea really! Paper that says "Better treament for dogs in shelters"!

Luckily many people have decided PETA is crappy and are switching to better organazations.

What really steams me up is that PETA wants ALL animals returned to the wild. Pets would die. Not only from never being wild in the first place but also from depression and loneliness. I volenteered at a chimp sanctuary and the things those chimps had learned to love from being captive at zoos and such are painting, sign language, stuffed animals (they treated them as their babies) and we were supposed to put them in the wild to die???

~Rachel

mugsy
07-02-2003, 07:12 PM
I don't like ANY extremist group and PETA and Greenpeace are both extemist. All they are really interested in is getting themselves in the spotlight, any way possible.

Can you say, "LOSER?" I thought you could. ;)

lizbud
07-02-2003, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by mugsy

Can you say, "LOSER?" I thought you could. ;)

The biggest LOSERS are the animals & those who deceive
themselves into believing that animals have no rights beyond
what humans grant them. No right to be treated humanely
wherever they are. You can "throw rocks" at the messenger
but the message is true none the less. No, I'm not a PETA
member, but I do support their aims, if not all of their methods
in getting their message heard. And yes, I do eat meat & dairy
products, but certainly think it's reasonable to expect that all
farm animals be treated in a humane way.

mugsy
07-02-2003, 08:35 PM
I would NEVER say that any living thing deserves to be treated humanely, I just can't stand the attitudes from PETA.

moosmom
07-02-2003, 08:45 PM
While some of their intentions are good, I think PETA goes a little overboard in some of their beliefs.

allanimalswelcome
07-02-2003, 08:49 PM
Same here.

I stated it before and I'll state it again: There are better organizations to support.

PETA is way too crazy in my opinoin. I can't support people who ask you to vote on "Sexiest Vegans Alive" rather then report about the cat killings in Denver, CO

PETA's methods to get the word out is threating letters and phone calls. PETA's methods aren't great sorry to say. So many members, so much money, all goes to themselves. PETA claims they need over 16million to run. Oh please:rolleyes:

~Rachel

lizbud
07-02-2003, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by mugsy
I would NEVER say that any living thing deserves to be treated humanely, I just can't stand the attitudes from PETA.

Molly, Please re-read that statement. Is that what you meant
to say?

allanimalswelcome
07-02-2003, 09:11 PM
What's wrong with it?

I think all animals deserve to be treated with kindness and respect. I don't support PETA. My reasons are all over this thread. Everyone's are.

~Rachel

allanimalswelcome
07-02-2003, 09:20 PM
I have a question to ask for everyone who supports PETA:

Born Free-This organization donates money to wild animals sanctuaries, your money goes toward rescuing animals in crappy facilities, works hard to support study of animals in the wild.

PETA-This organization wishes animal husbandary to cease, on their GoVeg page lists celebrities who are veg (all the cool people do it!), and is a for profit org., uses threats, never donates money to sanctuaries

Which would you support?

~Rachel

mugsy
07-02-2003, 09:59 PM
Thanks Liz! lol!! I've been at the shelter too long...my brain is fried. hehehe

Cheshirekatt
07-03-2003, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by lizbud
So Diane Jessup says that PETA says, etc, etc,.

I have visited her site many times, and I understand she's
against PETA's stand on the ban on breeding of fighting dogs,
but nowhere I looked did she say what you said

"they (PETA)advocates the killing of all pit bulls coming into Shelters"

Here you go.....

Knight Ridder/Tribune
January 25, 2000, Tuesday

SECTION: COMMENTARY

Some dogs are weapons - ban them
By Ingrid Newkirk

Most people have no idea that at many animal shelters across the country, any "pit bull" who comes through the front door goes out the back door in a body bag. From San Jose to Schenectady, many shelters have enacted policies requiring the automatic destruction of the huge and ever-growing number of "pits" they encounter. This news shocks and outrages the compassionate dog-lover.

Here's another shocker: People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, the very people who are trying to get you to denounce the killing of, chickens or the table, foxes for fur, or frogs for dissection, supports the pit bull policy, albeit with reluctance.

The pit bull's ancestor, the Staffordshire terrier, is a human concoction,bred in my native England, I'm ashamed to say, as a weapon. These dogs were designed specifically to fight other animals and kill them, for human sport. Hence the barrel chest, the thick hammer-like head, the strong jaws, the perseverance and the stamina. Pits can take down a bull weighing in at
over a thousand pounds, so a human being a tenth of that weight is
small potatoes to them.

Pit bulls are perhaps the most abused dogs on the planet. These days, they are kept for potection by almost every drug dealer and pimp in every major city and beyond. You can drive into any depressed area and see them being used as cheap burglar alarms, wearing heavy logging chains around their necks (they easily break regular collars and harnesses),attached to
a stake or metal drum or rundown doghouse without a floor and with holes in the roof.

Bored juveniles "sic" them on cats, neighbors' small dogs and even children. In the PETA office we have a file drawer chock-full of_ accounts of attacks in which these ill-treated dogs have torn the faces and fingers off infants and even police officers trying to serve warrants.

Today, organizing dog fights is a federal offense in this country, yet pits are still king of the ring. Humane officers and other law enforcement agents routinely break up rings in New Mexico, Massachusetts, Michigan and Florida. They confiscate dog-fighting paraphernalia, including
treadmills used to build doggie endurance and drugs used to numb pain from injuries
inflicted by opponents and to "jazz up" the dogs. They find mesh bags in which kittens, rabbits, puppies and other small prey are suspended over the dogs to encourage fighting spirit. Not uncommonly they find what's left of dogs who have lost their battles. They are not always dead.

Those who argue against the euthanasia policy for pit bull dogs are naive. One dog I know who was adopted out to a new family suddenly clamped his jaw onto the thigh of a 7-year-old boy. Two grown men had a hard time getting the dog off and the child suffered permanent nerve
damage. Tales like this abound. I have scars on my leg and arm from my own encounter with a pit. *she obviously has personal issues with pittys*

Many are loving and will kiss on sight, but many are unpredictable. An unpredictable chihuahua is one thing, an unpredictable pit another.

People who genuinely care about dogs won't be affected by a ban on pits. They can go to the shelter and save one of the countless other breeds_ and lovable mutts sitting on death row through no fault of their own.

ABOUT THE WRITER
Ingrid Newkirk is president of People for the Ethical Treatment of
Animals,
501 Front St., Norfolk, VA. 23501

This is where I found this article:

http://pitrescue.homestead.com/peta.html

captain
07-03-2003, 01:09 AM
Kat,

I never knew that ...... thanks ...:(

popcornbird
07-03-2003, 01:34 AM
I HATE Peta! They are SO SO SO EXTREME! They think all animals should be released into the wild. YEAH RIGHT! Pets would die if released into the wild, and if not, they would be VERY VERY lonely and depressed their whole lives. Pets that are raised with people think if themselves as humans and CANNOT live in the wild, whether they are domesticated dogs, cats, birds, rabbits, whatever. Do release them into the wild is cruelty and FAR from caring about animals. Peta is just crazy, and I wouldn't ever donate a penny to them. They don't deserve it.

allanimalswelcome
07-03-2003, 07:22 AM
THANK YOU Popcornbird!

Release your animals into the wild. Not only would they die, be depressed, and lonely the will think they did something wrong to deserve this. We are their family and you just don't drop your little brother into the woods because someone says it's bad to have him!

~Rachel

cheshirekatt-Wow!

Cheshirekatt
07-03-2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by allanimalswelcome
cheshirekatt-Wow!

Yeah, she reminded me slightly of Hitler in that article. They seem to have many of the same ideals.

allanimalswelcome
07-03-2003, 10:38 AM
Not only that she wants ALL the animals in shelters to be euthanized to cut down on the population.

:( :( :( :mad: :mad: :mad:

~Rachel

popcornbird
07-03-2003, 04:24 PM
THANK YOU Popcornbird!

Release your animals into the wild. Not only would they die, be depressed, and lonely the will think they did something wrong to deserve this. We are their family and you just don't drop your little brother into the woods because someone says it's bad to have him!

~Rachel

I KNOW! I once read an article on Peta that bird owners should release their birds into the wild! :mad::mad::rolleyes: They think its cruelty to keep a bird in a cage. They think its cruelty to have a bird in a house when they would be flying outside if they were wild. :rolleyes: If it was SO cruel, my birds would've flown away from me years ago because I take them outside ALL the time. Not ONCE have they EVEN attempted to run away, and when I open the door to the house and put them in the grass outside, they RUN back into the house, instead of running away. :rolleyes: If they felt so confined and sad, and whatever Peta thinks, they would never run back in the house. :rolleyes: Keeping a bird in the house is no different than keeping a cat in the house. Oh yeah, but Peta thinks its wrong to have any animal indoors. :rolleyes: Well, with that rule applied, we humans were naturally dwellers of caves, so why don't we *free* ourselves and leave our homes, and go live in caves as we're *supposed to*. Companion animals LOVE living in houses and living with humans. In fact, it seems they THINK they are humans. Peta is cruel to tell people to release their belove furry and feathered family members to the wild. That's evil. Any bird that flies away from home and gets lost dies, unless someone finds and rescues it beforehand. Pets CANNOT live in the wild, and no responsible owner would ever take Peta's worthless advice.

allanimalswelcome
07-03-2003, 04:43 PM
Well said!!

I have two birds and they run around outside their cages all day. When they feel ready they will put themselves back into their cages. My birds love each other and if I released them back to australia they would die.

There is such a thing called DOMESTIC animals and WILD animals. Domestic animals are often DOMESTIC and have wild counterparts. We aren't capturing cockatiels from the wild!

~Rachel

joycenalex
07-03-2003, 06:06 PM
i had heard, and cannot tell if this is true, that PETA had complained about the use of SAR/ cadaver dogs at the pentagon and the trade centers. then they wanted to monitor the dogs at the vet care centers in nyc and washington. can anyone tell me if this is an unfounded rumor or a true event? thanks joyce

allanimalswelcome
07-03-2003, 06:21 PM
I could find out but what is a SAR dog?

Cheshirekatt
07-03-2003, 06:26 PM
I could find out but what is a SAR dog?

Search And Rescue.

:)

allanimalswelcome
07-03-2003, 07:39 PM
Oh I see, animals help save lives but apparently that is cruel:rolleyes:

I'll do a search and report on this isssue.

~Rachel

allanimalswelcome
07-04-2003, 08:13 AM
Sorry I couldn't find anything on it.

I tried looking it up on the PETA website but it seems that their search egine is real bad.

~Rachel~

joycenalex
07-04-2003, 11:33 AM
dear rachel, thanks for checking on that story for me. i'd heard it in those awful first days after the attacks.

Twisterdog
07-04-2003, 05:57 PM
PETA started out as a decent, mainstream (well, fairly mainstream anyway) organization. However, times have changed and the new management of PETA is WAY out there.

Ingrid Newkirk is a very strange, dangerous and morally bankrupt person. Yes, PETA is opposed to the use of SAR dogs. PETA supporters are the great ball-of-fire winners who release tropical monkeys from scientific labs into the streets of cities in the winter, and break into hotel rooms and campers, steal show dogs and release them into traffic in New York City.

They oppose the ownership of pets, period. They feel that riding a horse is just as "horrible" as putting chemicals into a rabbits eyes for an experiment. I will look and find a quote by Newkirk that just sums it all up .... in effect, she says that she doesn't care if it takes just one lab rats life to find a cure for cancer, or one lab mouse to save your father's life - that it would not be worth it. Ummm .... hello.

They also spend a vast amount of their money supporting, basically, domestic terrorism. They fund eco-terrorists and animal rights terrorists, such as ALF, who use tactics such as fire-bombing stores that sell fur, etc. PETA spends a lot of money on the legal defense of those charged with domestic terrorism as well. Sorry, I don't want my money going to buy gasoline to make fire-bombs to throw through glass windows, or to pay a lawyer to defend these charmers, no matter what the cause.

Okay first I am all for animal rights. Ask anyone I know and they will tell you I am in love with absolutly every animal and respect them.

Keep in mind, animals RIGHTS in not at all the same thing as animal WELFARE. Loving and respecting animals is animals welfare. Believing that animals should have the same rights as human beings ... the right never to be leashed, owned, ridden or eaten ... that is animal rights. I'm a firm believer in animal welfare. I think even if you are eventually going to eat that chicken, you should make sure it is comfortable and happy before it is eaten. But I don't believe in animal rights ... I don't necesarily think the chicken has the same rights that you or I do. We are omnivores by nature, we eat meat. If one choses not to eat meat, good for them. I think that's fine. My brother was a vegetarian for decades, and I was proud of him. However, if one choses to eat meat, I think that is fine as well. Humans are not, by nature, vegetarians.

Denyce
07-04-2003, 07:13 PM
Yiiiipppppeeee....Hooooraaaayyyyy....someone who was able to put it all in a very concise nutshell! Love what you said and support it all the way.

Thank you:D :D :D

Denyce

CathyBogart
07-04-2003, 08:31 PM
I lump PETA in with the Humane Society as "places that want to ban the captive keeping of reptiles". Neither organization will ever get any money/support from me again.

allanimalswelcome
07-05-2003, 10:51 AM
I think animals have rights but I'm not crazy like PETA. Leashes and such are benificial to an animal just as a cane or a wheelchair is benificial to a person. A wheelchair helps someone get around without killing themselves. It applies to leashes.

I am appauled by PETA's behavior. They are obviously nuts. They have no respect for anyone with different opinoinsm, such as show dogs.

Frankly I am also VERY surprised. That girl in my class is in for a harsh awakening. She planned to show her dog...

I sincerly hope in the next years or so PETA will fail so that the rest of the REAL organizations can operate in peace.

~Rachel

allanimalswelcome
07-05-2003, 11:12 AM
I new slogan for PETA

"People Exhibiting a Terrble threat to Animals"

So I used more letters then P.E.T.A. you get the picture.

~Rache

mugsy
07-05-2003, 11:14 AM
I still think People Eating Tasty Animals is good! lol

I like yours too though.

allanimalswelcome
07-05-2003, 11:18 AM
Yea maybe I should send the name suggestions to PETA?

~Rachel

smokey the elder
07-06-2003, 07:58 AM
PETA has lost credibility. Any organization that goes fanatic is not existing in the real world. Existing in the real world is about compromise. It is completely appropriate (in my opinion, of course!) to protest against "inhumane" practices. But the rub is, "inhumane" is a moving target.

FWIW: Here are my opinions on specific issues.

1. Being omnivorous (I am): I like meat and make no apologies for this. I attempt to purchase it from properly raised animals. It's better for the animal and for the person who ultimately eats it.

2. Furs: I think we would be better off with the very high quality synthetics, but fur that doesn't come from endangered species is less objectionable.

3. Animal testing (medical): This is THE LAW! The FDA, ever since 1938, has required safety testing of all drugs which are intended to be used for humans and animals to be toxicalogically tested.

(BTW, there are VERY strict rules, at least where I work, about the care of lab animals. For example, the protocol for dogs and primates is that they must "have a mentally stimulating environment.")

4. Animal testing (cosmetic): should be VERBOTEN! I think humans should use these things at their own risk.

JMHO...

Smokey

lizbud
07-06-2003, 08:43 AM
smokey the elder,

Well you have one out of the 4 right. ;)

allanimalswelcome
07-06-2003, 10:22 AM
Thank you!

I agree with everything you said. PETA is whacked and it is loosing support.

I eat organic meat which is better then eating factory farmed. The animals are healthier therefor the meat is healtheir.

I do not particualry like fur but many people do not where it anymore so that's something.

~Rachel

RubyMutt
07-06-2003, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by smokey the elder
FWIW: Here are my opinions on specific issues.

1. Being omnivorous (I am): I like meat and make no apologies for this. I attempt to purchase it from properly raised animals. It's better for the animal and for the person who ultimately eats it.

2. Furs: I think we would be better off with the very high quality synthetics, but fur that doesn't come from endangered species is less objectionable.

3. Animal testing (medical): This is THE LAW! The FDA, ever since 1938, has required safety testing of all drugs which are intended to be used for humans and animals to be toxicalogically tested.

(BTW, there are VERY strict rules, at least where I work, about the care of lab animals. For example, the protocol for dogs and primates is that they must "have a mentally stimulating environment.")

4. Animal testing (cosmetic): should be VERBOTEN! I think humans should use these things at their own risk.

JMHO...

Smokey

My thoughts EXACTLY!

Airedalekisses
07-06-2003, 06:24 PM
I said my piece on the serial cat killer thread about PETA! They were in my will-not anymore-I'm of sound mind and body and they ain't gettin'any of my money!!

Sevens
07-06-2003, 09:50 PM
And some people wondered why I liked moving away from the Norfolk, VA area... PETA just ruins everything. They bother people at concerts, they are rude, and they are too over the top.

This is just a situation that happened to a friend of mine. It was during the PETA campaign against McDonald's treatment of cows or something. My friend was driving to McDonald's with her 4 year old daughter. The kid was sleeping. They pulled up to the McDonalds and some people were doing a protest. This crazy guy dressed as a butcher weilding a huge fake machete (sword looking blade), covered in blood, ran up swinging the thing next to her car and scared the heck out of her daughter. When my friend tried to say that they shouldn't have done that, what did they do? Did they say "Sorry, didn't mean to frighten your kid"? No, they called her a "conservative meat eating b**ch" in front of her child.

I miss my family who still live in the Norfolk area, but I most certainly do not miss PETA. I love where I live now, the area is very pet friendly.

captain
07-07-2003, 12:04 AM
I can tell you where that fake machete would end up if they came at my car like that ................ :mad:

:rolleyes: :eek: - well, I CAN'T TELL you, but I am sure you get the picture.

allanimalswelcome
07-07-2003, 07:19 AM
This is just a situation that happened to a friend of mine. It was during the PETA campaign against McDonald's treatment of cows or something. My friend was driving to McDonald's with her 4 year old daughter. The kid was sleeping. They pulled up to the McDonalds and some people were doing a protest. This crazy guy dressed as a butcher weilding a huge fake machete (sword looking blade), covered in blood, ran up swinging the thing next to her car and scared the heck out of her daughter. When my friend tried to say that they shouldn't have done that, what did they do? Did they say "Sorry, didn't mean to frighten your kid"? No, they called her a "conservative meat eating b**ch" in front of her child.

God I hate PETA. So sad less and less people are taking them seriously...NOT:D

~Rachel

allanimalswelcome
07-07-2003, 01:13 PM
Dear PETA,

I am deeply sorry to report this but someone had to.

It seems you are loosing audience. From releasing tropical monkeys into the streets of New York, to choosing to ask people to vote for "Sexiest Vegean Alive" instead of reporting on the Colorado cat killings, to approving the killing of pit bulls your attitude does not impress people anymore. You, PETA, could easily help change the way animals are treated today yet instead you choose to change Wisconsin's state drink.

You request $16.00 to stay a member. I have found most of the money you get goes as profits for the people at PETA. You could easily help out those animal sancutaries who would love to build on to their facilities or help any other organization for animal rights. Instead you choose to keep it for yourself.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news PETA but someone had to tell you.

Sincerely,

Rachel

*This was sent into an email*

RICHARD
07-07-2003, 05:06 PM
one of the funniest encounters i had with an 'animal rights/PETA' person was when the Olympic torch stopped off at the L A Coliseum before it went on to Utah.

there were people who had signs contesting the use of animals at the Olympics, apparently rodeo is/was being considered as a possible discipline.

when the gal came up to me and wanted to give me a pamphlet i explained to her that I LIKE THE RODEO..and what did the winter olympics have to do with animals??????

needless to say, when her male partner came around, with her in tow, i gave him the same line,
i then pointed to his lady friend and said, 'Ask her, I LIKE THE RODEO.'

my friend wasn't pleased about me taunting them but hey, aren't we all animals???

allanimalswelcome
07-07-2003, 05:19 PM
http://www.about-face.org/yv/action/letters/petaletter2.html

RubyMutt
07-07-2003, 07:45 PM
From PETA's site...
"We have found people do pay more attention to our racier actions, and we consider the public’s attention to be extremely important. Sometimes this requires tactics—like naked marches and colourful ad campaigns—that some people find outrageous or even “rude”; part of our job is to shake people up and even shock them in order to initiate discussion, debate, questioning of the status quo, and, of course, action. "

So they think people will pay more attention to animal liberation if they post a photo of a naked women on their website?!? That's disgusting. If they want to "shock" the viewers of their website why don't they list stats of how many homeless animals are euthanized in shelters each year.... SOMETHING LIKE THAT... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: People visiting that website are probably already animal lovers, they don't need to see sexy women to convince them to "take action" :rolleyes:

allanimalswelcome
07-07-2003, 08:40 PM
You hit the mark on that one!

God I hate PETA

~Rachel

Twisterdog
07-09-2003, 12:04 AM
So they think people will pay more attention to animal liberation if they post a photo of a naked women on their website?!?

No kidding ... I always wondered about that. I think PETA needs some new marketing people, because I don't think they are hitting their target audience. I'm thinking that they people who are searching the internet for pictures of half-naked women wrapped in lettuce leaves are NOT the same group of people who are going to be interested in a vegetarian, animal-rights lifestyle. I think the guys staring at the lettuce ladies won't have a clue about which organization or agenda was being promoted. ;)

allanimalswelcome
07-09-2003, 02:34 PM
Agreed!

Still haven't got an email back from PETA.

Perhaps they are busy planning a boycott towards Pet Talk for encouraging owning pets:rolleyes:

~Rachel