PDA

View Full Version : Microchip or tattoo that is the question..

CamCamPup33
07-01-2003, 10:47 AM
http://www.techtv.com/callforhelp/features/story/0,24330,3363593,00.html

^^heres the story.^^ up there!! ^.. Well cami has a microchip in her since we did buy her from a pet store.. i think its so cool.. I guess its kind of an easier way to find them? I was quite confused at first.. What does your dog have? I was just curious to see how many people actually have a tatooed pet.. hehe. :p So as i just read it does this mean they can find your pet?? Like a tracker kinda thing? :rolleyes:

Airedalekisses
07-01-2003, 11:02 AM
Dizzy had a chip! Tattooes look so bikerish!! and I think they would be painful.

Tonya
07-01-2003, 11:17 AM
My dogs and cats have chips. I agree with Airedalekisses, Tattooes would be to painful. I did see a white pit in a tattoo magazine once that had pierced ears and a flower tattoo on her belly. That same magazine had a little girl (probably 3 years old)with a small tattoo on her foot. I believe it was like a heart or a flower no bigger then a dime. Both repulsed me because they didn't have a choice.

My cat, Raven has a tattoo on her belly indicating that she is spayed. She came that way and the lady said it was standard. I had never heard of it until then. Does anyone else have spay tattooes on their pets?

cali
07-01-2003, 11:17 AM
all 5 are tatooed and no way will we ever microchip:)

apcrs5122
07-01-2003, 11:21 AM
Alex has a microchip, and I think it's great. My aunt's greyhound, Lee, is tattooed in both ears because he was a racer that she rescued, but that's the only reason;)

CamCamPup33
07-01-2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by cali
all 5 are tatooed and no way will we ever microchip:)

why not? just wondering.. heehe

aly
07-01-2003, 11:31 AM
Mine are microchipped and Reece has a neuter tattoo on his belly (standard procudure for the people who neutered him). He already had it when I got him.

Microchipping is wonderful and has saved many animals and brought them back safely to their homes.

Little story about tattoos:
We had a female Pit girl at the shelter I work at last year. We tattoed her when she was spayed. One day she was stolen from us in an elaborate plan and we were never able to catch the people. We had fliers in every vet clinic and shelter around. Three months later, animal control finds her waundering the streets and takes her to the kill shelter. She waits her length of time that they keep all strays, then they decide to put her to sleep because she had hip problems. They took her into the room and the sweet girl she is rolled over for a belly rub. They were getting ready to do the injection when they noticed the tattoo and recognized it as being one of ours. They called us right away and we ran to get our girl.

Tonya
07-01-2003, 02:09 PM
Awww, that's a sweet story, Aly.

Cali, I'm curious to know what it is that is tattooed on the pets? Is it name and address? A symbol? The only tattoo I'd seen on a dog was decorative.

CamCamPup33
07-01-2003, 02:12 PM
oh aly my heart dropped when i heard it rolled over for a belly rub!! i would i have been like.. um nevermind.. :D

tikeyas_mom
07-01-2003, 02:16 PM
our family refused to get ither of those on our pets, We get the id tags. I think that ppl in the future are going to have micro chips or tattoos of like bar tags to tell our itentity, I would never want my dog to have that, I dont care if she will be found better. It is just againts my religion. I will stick to the ID tags with name and number. ;). besides my dogs dont run away anyhow.

tikeyas_mom
07-01-2003, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Tonya
Awww, that's a sweet story, Aly.

Cali, I'm curious to know what it is that is tattooed on the pets? Is it name and address? A symbol? The only tattoo I'd seen on a dog was decorative.

they are numbers that are tattooed on the animals skin aND WHEN PRINTED into a computer data base the identification of the vet it visits and house address and name of animal is produced.

primabella
07-01-2003, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
besides my dogs dont run away anyhow.

You can never be too safe.

Mick is tatooed on his ear. It's written PJ and then a bunch of numbers. That's a nice example of how tatoos or micropchips can help a dog, aly. :)

tikeyas_mom
07-01-2003, 03:01 PM
I dont need to be careful. My dogs dont run away, if the gate is left open by one of my lil brothers or their friends my dogs sit at the front door and whine till someone comes and lets them in, they are very well behaved.

primabella
07-01-2003, 03:05 PM
Mick is very well behaved too but it doesn't mean I'm going to take my chances.

tikeyas_mom
07-01-2003, 03:08 PM
they always have there collers on anyways, they havve very good ID tags, they are metal and on tight with key chain things. I dont think it is a big problem. I mean, we have never had a dog micro chpped or tattooed before, it just seems pointless to my mom and dad just a waist of money and we dont believe in doing it...

SnowballPuppieDog
07-01-2003, 03:27 PM
snowball is tattoed on her tummy.. i heard its not suppoest to hurt dogs.. i got her from the pound so they did everythign B4 they let us have her.. plus she has a tag on her colar with a chip in it.. we got it from the vet.... its cool :D he he

aly
07-01-2003, 03:27 PM
our family refused to get ither of those on our pets, We get the id tags. I think that ppl in the future are going to have micro chips or tattoos of like bar tags to tell our itentity, I would never want my dog to have that, I dont care if she will be found better. It is just againts my religion. I will stick to the ID tags with name and number. ;). besides my dogs dont run away anyhow.

My dogs are always by my side. They never run out an open door. The whimper if they're more than 3 feet away from me and can't get to me.

I still microchipped them. What if something spooked them while I wasn't home? What if someone came in and left the door open and they ran away from the person and got out? There's way too many 'what if's for me to want to risk it.

You don't care if it helps them get found? Thats strange.

How is it against your religion?

You just never know what is going to happen. Chances are nothing will happen... but there's always that small chance something WILL.

CamCamPup33
07-01-2003, 03:45 PM
Im happy cami has a microchip. i belive in the future these are what they are going to use instead of tattoos.. but i dont know.. :p But the problem with the metal id tag is that the words scrape away. On camis they scratch so easy! so at least she has something else to rely on if the collar get scraped away! But its about time to get her new ones anyway! But tm just to be safe i would keep the tags on the all the time and make sure they dont scrape away! :)

aly
07-01-2003, 03:48 PM
Collars can also come off when dogs are on the loose.

CamCamPup33
07-01-2003, 03:49 PM
that happens to cami all the time!

Cincy'sMom
07-01-2003, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by aly
Collars can also come off when dogs are on the loose.

If I remember right, that is what happen when Vonney ran away from Mugsy's, and part of the reason it took longer to find him. Unfortunatly no method is fool-proof.

Our dogs all have Name tags, vet tags (rabies), Dog licenses, and are microchipped. In the off chance they get away, ( and they did once by pushing open our gate. Thankfully they never left our street and someone called from the ID tag) we want every possibilty of getting them back.

bnormal
07-01-2003, 04:26 PM
Callihan currently runs on a pentium 4 with half a gig of memory...Mitchy is still in the dark ages...(collar w/tag)

:D :D :D

clara4457
07-01-2003, 04:35 PM
Leo has a tattoo in his ear from the SPCA - my plan is to get him microchipped when he goes in for his yearly vet visit next month. Penny will also get microchipped as soon as I can. Right now I am still recovering financially from the tumor surgery last month and last night's fight. :eek:

They both have ID tags, but there is always the risk that someone could take them and remove the collar and tags, the microchip is not so easily removed.

Logan
07-01-2003, 04:52 PM
Our dogs have microchips. But the Golden Retriever rescue that I work with does tatooes. Don't even know why, but maybe it's because the shelters in our area are more likely to look for the tattoo, rather than the microchip.

I learned on Sunday, that nothing can help more than having a collar with an easily identifiable tag....it might have saved my Lilly's life, thank goodness. She escaped, unknown to us, and our neighbor was able to read her name and our address and allert us that she was out. She escaped him, but he let us know that she was gone, and we might not have known it at all!!!

Logan

wolfsoul
07-01-2003, 05:50 PM
Leather has a tatoo in her ear. It didn't hurt her AT ALL, she was put under when they did it.

Timber is microchipped. She has her liscences for her collar, but Leather doesn't. So for Leather's birthday I'm buying her a name/address tag. :)

wolf_Q
07-01-2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Cincy'sMom

Our dogs all have Name tags, vet tags (rabies), Dog licenses, and are microchipped.

Nebo has all of that too, as well as a microchip tag on his collar.

tikeyas_mom
07-01-2003, 06:41 PM
my mom says no because she doesnt agree it is right to put a micro chip in a dog, I agree, but thats just my oppinion. I am satisfied with having my dogs all natural, Exna not having testies and a uterus. ;).

doglovrforevr
07-01-2003, 07:06 PM
Rusty has a microchip! He was microchiped by the breeder. (not exactly, the breeder got him microchiped)

oodlesofpoodles
07-01-2003, 07:29 PM
All my dogs are microchiped and tatooed. Microchipping is also great for when dogs are stolen to prove who is the owner. My riley has two microchips one with the breeders info and one with my info. both microchips are recorded with the other, My name and social security nbr and birthday is the tatoo. Riley was put under to have it done. I will not tatoo a dog while it is awake. My dogs do not wear collars as it ruins their coats. I have special collars I use when I take them places.

I work at the citys animal care and control center. If all dogs were micro chipped and the information correct think of all the dogs that would not be put to sleep. I had a lady call 2 wks after the pet was missing. sounded like one we had pts because no one wanted to adopt it. I asked her why she didnt call sooner, her answer was only mutts go to the dog pound. Well i have a lot of purebred mutts in the pound. Microchipping can save many lives and stop a lot of heartache.

Kfamr
07-01-2003, 07:33 PM
Simba has a chip, rabi tags, dog liscense, personalize name tags [ his name and our number] and tattoo.

I'm not sure what Nala has, except she does have personalized tags, rabis and county liscence.

RubyMutt
07-01-2003, 07:45 PM
Ruby has a microchip as well as ID tags on her collar.

Just curious, does anyone have a photo of their dog's tattoo? I just think it would look tacky on Ruby since her fur is rather thin & light in most spots, but I've never actually seen what they look like.

KYS
07-01-2003, 08:39 PM
Sheba has a tatoo and Rocky is chipped.
Sheba tatoo has faded some.
Sheba put up a fuss
and the woman could not go over the tatoo again.

binka_nugget
07-01-2003, 08:51 PM
Kai has a tatoo on his tummy along with tags whenever we go out. I don't leave the collar/tags on because it'll ruin his fur eventually. He'll be getting chipped very soon when he goes for the snip. I think microchips are awesome. It looks like it'd take less time to microchip a dog rather than tattoo ALTHOUGH any future dogs I get, they're getting tattooed and microchipped. Tattoos seem pointless when you have the dog chipped but if my dog was ever stolen, the theives would be very likely to return the dog if they saw a tatoo. Chips aren't visible so it would take a while to get the dog back...but once they see the tatoo...it's almost pointless to steal the dog.

I heard about this new item..it's like a tracking device for dogs. I think it's about $140 or so....I think that's an okay price. Apparently, it's hooked up to a satellite system or something like that. I'm definately getting that once it comes out on the market. It'd give me piece of mind.

aly
07-01-2003, 09:44 PM
Reece's tattoo is for neutering, not identification, but here it is. They did a sloppy job on it. Most of the ones they do now are a lot thinner than that.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid41/pc2192afdef2e4eccfead2632e0817d03/fcf93d1b.jpg

shais_mom
07-01-2003, 10:41 PM
I don't understand what religion is against microchipping.
Shaianne was tattooed, have thought about getting Keegan chipped.
So Tikeya's mom, Tikeya isn't spayed?
Never say never, you might have the most well behaved dogs in the world but if something unexpected happens, that isn't going to help you any. And just b/c your dogs are well-behaved doesn't mean people are, your dogs can still be stolen right out from your yard.
Collars can slip off, tags can fall off, and dogs/cats can be hung up on their collars when they are running loose and killed.

Course listing all these things really make me thing that I need to microchip Keegan, I think I have convinced myself.

wolf_Q
07-01-2003, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by binka_nugget
He'll be getting chipped very soon when he goes for the snip. I think microchips are awesome. It looks like it'd take less time to microchip a dog rather than tattoo ALTHOUGH any future dogs I get, they're getting tattooed and microchipped. .

The microchip is just injected like a shot....Nebo had it done in just a couple of minutes and he wasn't put out for it. So it doesn't take long. He yelped but he got over it fast with the help of some treats. :)

Crikit
07-01-2003, 11:50 PM
All 3 dogs have tattos, Smudge and Winter in their ears, Tama on his stomach by his leg. They all also have id tags with my phone number and address on their collars with their city license (except for Tama who at the moment doesn't have one soon, I just have to see if I get to keep him) plus all three dogs will be getting chipped in the near future...well two for certain three if everything works out with Tama.

wolfsoul
07-01-2003, 11:53 PM
Here, you can see the very beginning of Leather's tatoo lol.

aly
07-02-2003, 01:00 AM
besides my dogs dont run away anyhow.

Maybe microchipping would help in another situation like this:

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29028

shais_mom
07-02-2003, 01:02 AM
naturally well said Aly!

Crikit
07-02-2003, 01:06 AM
Couldn't have said it better Aly.

wolfsoul
07-02-2003, 01:06 AM
A microchip would help when your dog runs behind the bushes in your front yard? :confused:

Just curious - How many people here had their dog tatooed while it was awake? I didn't even know you could do that! I would think that the dog would twitch like nuts, or that it would bite. Leather was under when she got hers...She probably would have bitten the person giving the tatoo lol. :rolleyes:

aly
07-02-2003, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
A microchip would help when your dog runs behind the bushes in your front yard? :confused:

She was obviously off leash in the front yard and wandered far enough to get hit by a van.. so she could easily have waundered much further .....

Just saying that it might be best for her safety.

oodlesofpoodles
07-02-2003, 05:38 AM
I have seen tattooing done while the dog is awake and do not agree with it. I watched 4 people hold this rotti down while the lady tattooed it. I was so upset the dog was struggling with all his might. His eyes had nothing but fear in them. My dogs have all been under when they had theirs done. If a tattoo is going to be done please have them asleep.

KYS
07-02-2003, 08:39 AM
Just curious - How many people here had their dog tatooed while it was awake? >>>>>>

Sheba was tatoo'd awake when she was a year old
at a Dog Show. She was afraid, when she had to lay
down and be rolled on her side and have strangers
work on her.
(Back than, Vets in my area did not tatoo nor chip.)
After seeing it done, I would NEVER do it again unless
the dog was givin a sedative or put under anethesia
along with another medical procedure being done.
Putting a dog "under" for only a tatoo, I would never
do. Anethesia can be dangerous.

I would chip all my future dogs, and when spayed or neutered I might tatoo too.

CamCamPup33
07-02-2003, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by oodlesofpoodles
I have seen tattooing done while the dog is awake and do not agree with it. I watched 4 people hold this rotti down while the lady tattooed it. I was so upset the dog was struggling with all his might. His eyes had nothing but fear in them. My dogs have all been under when they had theirs done. If a tattoo is going to be done please have them asleep.

i wouldn't wanna see that either! Poor pup! I agree! if anyone wants to do the tattoo going "under" is the best.. Even though it may be very dangerous.. But thats the a good reason for microchipping. You dont have to be put "under" and they dont really have to suffer As much pain.

wolfsoul
07-02-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by KYS

Putting a dog "under" for only a tatoo, I would never
do. Anethesia can be dangerous.

Leather was under because she was getting spayed, getting a tumor removed AND getting the tatoo all at the same time lol. :)

kingrattus
07-02-2003, 11:01 PM
Max has nothing, not chip, no tattoo, no collar. Max hasn't worn a collar for about 5 yrs now. & a tattoo is out of the question. But if all goes well then next few months & I get the military job, I'll be chipping Max cause he'll be living on base with me.

Kfamr
07-02-2003, 11:31 PM
I guess i hadn't seen this post.

I dont need to be careful. My dogs dont run away, if the gate is left open by one of my lil brothers or their friends my dogs sit at the front door and whine till someone comes and lets them in, they are very well behaved.

So you're saying you don't need to be careful of the safety of your animals? Any dog is capable of "running away". Simba is the most well trained dog I know, I still would never trust him off leash.

We know, your dog Tikeya has a high prey drive. What if she sees an animal she wants to chase, and runs off? I'm not saying your dogs aren't behaved, but even the most behaved dog in the world could run off.

Collars can slip off easily. No matter how tight. Collars aren't always the safest way to insure that your pet is going to be found and you notified about it. ANYONE could steal your dog, take it's collar off and call it theirs.

Microchipping is different. In the microchip YOUR information is recorded therefor, if in a situation of your dog getting stolen you can get it back 100% no matter what someone says, Your information in the chip, your dog.

Collars can also be very dangerous. A dog I used to take care of ( A Chocolate Lab named Buster) once got his leg stuck in his collar while scratching. If it wasn't for me showing up after school he could have easily choked himself to death. No, i'm not saying go take your dogs collar off.

I'm not trying to be rude, but i'm just trying to explain how great a microchip can really be. Tags and a collar aren't always the safest.

tikeyas_mom
07-02-2003, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by shais_mom
I don't understand what religion is against microchipping.
Shaianne was tattooed, have thought about getting Keegan chipped.
So Tikeya's mom, Tikeya isn't spayed?
Never say never, you might have the most well behaved dogs in the world but if something unexpected happens, that isn't going to help you any. And just b/c your dogs are well-behaved doesn't mean people are, your dogs can still be stolen right out from your yard.
Collars can slip off, tags can fall off, and dogs/cats can be hung up on their collars when they are running loose and killed.

Course listing all these things really make me thing that I need to microchip Keegan, I think I have convinced myself.

I just said ubove that my dogs are neutered and spayed. My parents just dont believe in it getting our dogs microchipped, is that so bad. ????.. If I got a dog that was already tattooed I would update info on it. I just dont think that it is nessisary to get your dog tattooed or microchipped. My parent dont like the idea. So I agree with them.

tikeyas_mom
07-02-2003, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by CamCamPup33
i wouldn't wanna see that either! Poor pup! I agree! if anyone wants to do the tattoo going "under" is the best.. Even though it may be very dangerous.. But thats the a good reason for microchipping. You dont have to be put "under" and they dont really have to suffer As much pain.

I wish I was under when I got my tattoo!! lol :rolleyes: it hurts like hell, I would never want my dogs to feel that kind of pain, + tattos ware off and get blury, I have seen some like that. and they usually have to be redone.

Kfamr
07-02-2003, 11:51 PM
Tattoos normally don't rub off if they're are done properly and well. :)

shais_mom
07-03-2003, 12:33 AM
Yup, tatoos can fade if you don't take care of them, I saw a lady the other day at the store that had a tattoo from her shoulder to her elbow and it was peeling. blech
I have a feeling it might be ok if you didn't use an ink pen! :confused:

wolfsoul
07-03-2003, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by Kfamr

Microchipping is different. In the microchip YOUR information is recorded therefor, if in a situation of your dog getting stolen you can get it back 100% no matter what someone says, Your information in the chip, your dog.

Actually, in a case where your dog is stolen, a microchip would be very little help. Who on earth (even a thief) is going to take your stoeln dog to the vet to have it's microchip checked after they just stole the dog? I'm not saying microchipping is bad lol, I quite like the idea of it, i'm just saying that in that situation it wouldn't be as helpful something more visible, like a tatoo. :)

Kfamr
07-03-2003, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
Actually, in a case where your dog is stolen, a microchip would be very little help. Who on earth (even a thief) is going to take your stoeln dog to the vet to have it's microchip checked after they just stole the dog? I'm not saying microchipping is bad lol, I quite like the idea of it, i'm just saying that in that situation it wouldn't be as helpful something more visible, like a tatoo. :)

I'm saying IF the person tries saying it is their dog, you can always say "Well, he/she has a chip" and they are able to scan it.

Cisco's Mom
07-03-2003, 05:42 AM
Wow!! What a thread.:) At the humane society where I work we tatto. This is done the same time the animal is under to be spayed or neutered. Therefore, it doesn't feel a thing. We are non-profit and this (for rght now) is the best way for us to identify the animals in case they get lost or whatever. From what I understand there is more than one type of chip so more than one type of scanner is needed. Not always practical. I have been able to return dogs to owners due to our tatto. I have had people call and say they have found a dog with our tattoo and no tags. We enter the tat# in the computer and there ya go the owner! I also believe in tags, because your neighbor down the street is going to look for tags(for sure), maybe a tattoo, but won't beable to scan for a chip.

kingrattus
07-03-2003, 08:22 AM
At L.A.W.S. all animals leaving get chipped, u have no say in it at all, & its free so whos gonna complain. They also fix the dog for free as well. U pay a fee when u get the dog & u have so many days to bring it in to their vet, & u get ur money back. Or u leave the dog there so they can get it fixed for u & u can pick up the dog a few days after its been fixed. & this shelter gets all its $$ from the comunity. Its kinda funny really, a super poor town, with a really rich animal shelter. Animals r well loved in the comunity &I've seen what happenes to people who abuse any animal. The cops come & remove it & u never see it again. I love by-laws :)

KYS
07-03-2003, 08:45 AM
posted by Cisco's Mom:I understand there is more than one type of chip so more than one type of scanner is needed. Not always practical. >>>>>>

This is very true. In CA. and I assume other states this
problems has improved in the last few years.
My vet originally refused to invest in scanning and chipping for the above reason.
But when our local shelters starting using sometype of universal scanner, my vet started chipping.

I believe hospitals/research labs in CA. (not sure about
other states) are required to look for a tatoo and also
scan a dog for a chip before purchasing a dog for research etc.
(Many dogs were/or are stolen to sell to research)
As for being stollen and sold to a private party,
I guess having more than one form of ID is a good idea.

CamCamPup33
07-03-2003, 09:13 AM
Wow!! lol all free? yeah here i dont think so! :) :p

cloverfdx
07-03-2003, 09:53 AM
Does anyone else have spay tattooes on their pets?

yeah, penny and clover has spay tats in there ears (a small circle with a line through it) and the 2 cats have the same tats in there ears also

but we requested not to have theodore (chihuahua) tattoed :rolleyes: when he was neutered because it would ruin the look of his ears:rolleyes:

may be able to see the tat in this pick of penny (in her left ear) it is standard practice and is done when still anethitised(SP?) so they dont feel it

Miranda_Rae
10-25-2004, 12:26 PM
I would love to microchip Heidi but my dad doesn't want her to be. :( I want it for a precaution, since we travel a lot and we take her with. I want it SO bad though. :(

Glacier
10-25-2004, 01:01 PM
All the critters are chipped here. Glacier the cat is also tatooed. His ear was done while he was neutered--before chips were common. They also all wear collars with id tags. Course I go through tags like crazy. Somewhere in my yard there is a huge stash of little silver bones with my address on them! The guy at the trophy store I get the tags from doesn't even ask my address anymore, just which dog name I want on the tag! The last batch has no names, just says "I belong at:...."

I've had several dogs turn up at my place with no id except a tag from the chip company. One phone call and the doggers were all returned home. At least two were returned before their owners even noticed they had escaped! It doesn't take a husky long to get away!

greysandmoregreys
10-25-2004, 02:07 PM
All NGA registered greyhound are tattooed at around 3 months of age, then registered with the NGA.

So all my crew have tat's. One tat in each ear. The right ear has the month, year and letter. Augie who is 5 his right ear reads 79A= July 1999 and was letter A pup out of his litter.
The left ear has the litter number. So every pup in his litter will have the same left ear number.

I've heard that the chips can sometimes get lost or misplaced in the dogs system. Has anyone ever had this trouble?

If my crew wasn't tattooed I would chip them :)

Better safe than sorry

Miranda_Rae
10-25-2004, 02:10 PM
I've wondered this about the tattoos. If your dog is tattooed couldn't a theif cut off the ear or something if he sees the tattoo? :confused: I know that sounds terrible cruel but I've wondered about it. :rolleyes:

Becki
10-25-2004, 04:13 PM
The two little ones are not chipped and don't have tats. Max is chipped, but does not have a tattoo. Axel has both a chip and a tattoo. We have requested his blue pet slip be signed so we can have him transferred to our names by the NGA, but haven't received it back from his previous owner. In that case, if the NGA was contacted, it would lead back to a farmer in KS, and not to us, yet. Although, they could probably track him by the adoption gropu was sent.

bckrazy
10-25-2004, 04:20 PM
Gonzo has been microchipped since the day we got him, when we first took him to the vet. He has an Avid chip, which is in the universal scanner used by all shelters and vets. He is a total baby when it comes to shots and everything, but he didn't even wince when he got chipped. Every time we take him back to the vet they re-check to make sure the chip is still in place, and it's still there. And, it only cost $20! $5 to register with the Avid database! I don't understand why more people don't get their pets chipped....

Miranda_Rae
10-25-2004, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by bckrazy
Gonzo has been microchipped since the day we got him, when we first took him to the vet. He has an Avid chip, which is in the universal scanner used by all shelters and vets. He is a total baby when it comes to shots and everything, but he didn't even wince when he got chipped. Every time we take him back to the vet they re-check to make sure the chip is still in place, and it's still there. And, it only cost $20! $5 to register with the Avid database! I don't understand why more people don't get their pets chipped....

Believe me I would LOVE to, but unfortunately my parents won't let me. :(

guster girl
10-25-2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Miranda_Rae
I've wondered this about the tattoos. If your dog is tattooed couldn't a theif cut off the ear or something if he sees the tattoo? :confused: I know that sounds terrible cruel but I've wondered about it. :rolleyes:

it's definitely happened. My friend's dog was stolen, and, when they found him, both his ears had been cut off. :( I've even heard (but, never seen firsthand) of dogs and cats having limbs removed, because the tattoo was on their inner thigh or something. Again, I've only personally seen the ear being cut off, but, I wouldn't doubt that there are sickos that would cut a leg off, too. I think my friend's dog was either on it's way or found at a lab. :( That's when I changed my mind about leaving a dog outside unattended (and, I'm not saying everyone should feel that way).

Miranda_Rae
10-25-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by guster girl
it's definitely happened. My friend's dog was stolen, and, when they found him, both his ears had been cut off. :( I've even heard (but, never seen firsthand) of dogs and cats having limbs removed, because the tattoo was on their inner thigh or something. Again, I've only personally seen the ear being cut off, but, I wouldn't doubt that there are sickos that would cut a leg off, too. I think my friend's dog was either on it's way or found at a lab. :( That's when I changed my mind about leaving a dog outside unattended (and, I'm not saying everyone should feel that way).

How horrible!!! :eek: :( Those people are oh, :mad: I can't think of anything to say! That is one of the reasons that I want to get Heidi microchipped instead of tattooed.

CamCamPup33
10-25-2004, 04:30 PM
Miranda_Rae, Just curious... Why won't your dad let you? Maybe if you printed out that article in my first post (Which not to mention was a year ago! :p) and showed it to him, he would change his mind?

Miranda_Rae
10-25-2004, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by CamCamPup33
Miranda_Rae, Just curious... Why won't your dad let you? Maybe if you printed out that article in my first post (Which not to mention was a year ago! :p) and showed it to him, he would change his mind?

Because he doesn't think its necessary because she has her tags and because he says you're supposed to trust God :rolleyes: ....sure ok I do but its a PRECAUTION!!!! Man....I want to SO bad. I hope he will let me....maybe if I have another talk with him. :D

guster girl
10-25-2004, 04:37 PM
How horrible!!! :eek: :( Those people are oh, :mad: I can't think of anything to say! That is one of the reasons that I want to get Heidi microchipped instead of tattooed.

This was years ago, when I was in junior high. I can't account for how frequently these things happen. But, I know they have happened, and, I'm sure they still do. All you can do is try your best to keep your pets safe and protected. Finn is microchipped and so is Lock (the bengal with my ex). Both my RB boys, Bruno and Dusty, were microchipped. And, all collared, as well.

guster girl
10-25-2004, 04:39 PM
Because he doesn't think its necessary because she has her tags and because he says you're supposed to trust God :rolleyes: ....sure ok I do but its a PRECAUTION!!!! Man....I want to SO bad. I hope he will let me....maybe if I have another talk with him. :D

Could you get your pet there and pay for the chipping? If that was the case, I don't see why he'd have to know. ;) Just teasing, mostly. Ha ha, but, seriously, if you took your dad out of the equation completely, as far as transportation, time, and, money, what would he be able to say? It could only benefit the pet. I mean, if you didn't spend your $20 on it, you'd just blow it on a shirt or a couple of movies or something. I don't know, that's just how I see it.

Miranda_Rae
10-25-2004, 05:16 PM
Could you get your pet there and pay for the chipping? If that was the case, I don't see why he'd have to know. ;) Just teasing, mostly. Ha ha, but, seriously, if you took your dad out of the equation completely, as far as transportation, time, and, money, what would he be able to say? It could only benefit the pet. I mean, if you didn't spend your $20 on it, you'd just blow it on a shirt or a couple of movies or something. I don't know, that's just how I see it.

I would definately pay for it myself, but the thing is I don't have a liscense yet. :( I want to get her microchipped though before we go to Winnipeg.

anna_66
10-26-2004, 09:21 AM
Both of my girls are now microchipped. And Bon will be soon.

Samantha Puppy
10-26-2004, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by aly

How is it against your religion? Duh, haven't you read the Bible, Torah, or Quran? It's in all of them. "Thou shalt not microchip thy pets."

Everyone knows Jesus was adamantly against microchipping dogs back in the day. :rolleyes:

;) :D

Spiritwind
10-26-2004, 11:46 AM
Some of my dogs are microchipped and some are tattooed.

If you have your dog tattooed by someone who knows what they are doing, its really not that bad for them - awake.

I had 2 of my girls tattooed last winter and it was quick and easy on them... the only thing they fought with was when they were put on their side on the table. After that they relaxed and were fine.

I think it just depends on each dog how they react. Some dogs dont' handle any kind of pain, even if its very minor.
That microchip needle isn't small. My smooth male screamed his head off when he was chipped... my 2 girls that were tattooed didn't fight or make a noise the whole time it was done - and it was pretty quick.

I know of a sheltie breeder who has all her pups tattooed between 8-12 wks age, and those tattoos look the same when the dog is 8-9-10yrs old, as they did when they were done.

I have a litter of Collie pups right now, and they go in for CERF eye checks in a couple weeks. The clinic I am taking my pups to for eye checks requires the puppies to have some form of permanent ID - tattoo or chipped. Most vets I know (I work for a vet) won't do microchips on pups that young... so they will probably have to be tattooed.

Janna

Miranda_Rae
10-26-2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Samantha Puppy
Duh, haven't you read the Bible, Torah, or Quran? It's in all of them. "Thou shalt not microchip thy pets."

Everyone knows Jesus was adamantly against microchipping dogs back in the day. :rolleyes:

;) :D

I am a Christian, and I found that quite offensive. There is nothing in the Bible against it, but some people feel differently about things such as that. I don't have a whole lot of time to explain, but I think you should ask tm WHY she believes that instead of insulting Christianity/Islam, etc. :)

guster girl
10-26-2004, 12:05 PM
I, myself, am confused as to what religion says anything remotely close to this topic. I'm waiting to see an answer, from anyone, because I'm confused!

Samantha Puppy
10-26-2004, 12:06 PM
I am a Christian, and I found that quite offensive. There is nothing in the Bible against it, but some people feel differently about things such as that. I don't have a whole lot of time to explain, but I think you should ask tm WHY she believes that instead of insulting Christianity/Islam, etc. :) I'm a Christian too. It's called a joke. Sheesh, lighten up. :rolleyes:

guster girl
10-26-2004, 12:14 PM
I would definately pay for it myself, but the thing is I don't have a liscense yet. :( I want to get her microchipped though before we go to Winnipeg.

Is there no one who could drive you there?

Miranda_Rae
10-26-2004, 12:25 PM
I'm a Christian too. It's called a joke. Sheesh, lighten up. :rolleyes:

I am sorry, but I didn't really take it as a joke. I'm sorry I offended you, but it bothered me. :) Sorry....

Miranda_Rae
10-26-2004, 12:26 PM
Is there no one who could drive you there?

Yes, my parents. :rolleyes: I am working on them though...i hope I make some headway. :)

ParNone
10-26-2004, 12:27 PM
guster girl writes:

I, myself, am confused as to what religion says anything remotely close to this topic. I'm waiting to see an answer, from anyone, because I'm confused!
I haven't read the whole thread, but I think this is a reference to Revelations and Christians not allowing the mark of the beast on them. I, myself, for religious and common sense reasons wouldn't go along with humans being microchipped or tattooed by the govt. But I haven't heard of anything in the Bible that extends this to animals. So Oz and Gully are microchipped. Of course that could be construed as treating our dogs as property. So those against that, may also be against microchipping.

Par...

Miranda_Rae
10-26-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by ParNone
guster girl writes:

I haven't read the whole thread, but I think this is a reference to Revelations and Christians not allowing the mark of the beast on them. I, myself, for religious and common sense reasons wouldn't go along with humans being microchipped or tattooed by the govt. But I haven't heard of anything in the Bible that extends this to animals. So Oz and Gully are microchipped. Of course that could be construed as treating our dogs as property. So those against that, may also be against microchipping.

Par...

That was what I was referring too, but I didn't have enough time to write it out. Thank you Par, for clarifying that. I personally have nothing against microchipping animals, but with people I do have a problem with that. I did not want to offend anyone with my posts, and I am sorry if I did. :)

Samantha Puppy
10-26-2004, 12:33 PM
You didn't offend me; it takes a lot to do that. I just get annoyed with people who get offended over silly stuff like that - I even put the ;) :D in there to make sure everyone knew I was being sarcastic and joking. If you knew me to be an athiest and felt I was making fun of religion, fine - I would definitely understand you saying something then. But I'm not. I am a devout Christian with a sarcastic sense of humor. I don't like confrontation, which is why I've stayed out of the Dog House politic debates. I really am a nice person, I just happen to have a sense of humor. :p :)

That said, everyone knows that John 4:52 says "And lo, people who microchip their pets shall walk on burning coals for the rest of their days and drink nothing but Pepsi..." <-- JOKE

;) :D ;) :D ;) :D ;)

guster girl
10-26-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by ParNone
guster girl writes:

Par...

Ok, thank you, as I had no idea what religion had to do with it.

Miranda_Rae
10-26-2004, 12:37 PM
You didn't offend me; it takes a lot to do that. I just get annoyed with people who get offended over silly stuff like that - I even put the ;) :D in there to make sure everyone knew I was being sarcastic and joking. If you knew me to be an athiest and felt I was making fun of religion, fine - I would definitely understand you saying something then. But I'm not. I am a devout Christian with a sarcastic sense of humor. I don't like confrontation, which is why I've stayed out of the Dog House politic debates. I really am a nice person, I just happen to have a sense of humor. :p :)

That said, everyone knows that John 4:52 says "And lo, people who microchip their pets shall walk on burning coals for the rest of their days and drink nothing but Pepsi..." <-- JOKE

Oh ok, I did not KNOW that you are a Christian. I have noticed a few negative comments about Christians a few times on here (not recently) so I wanted to say something. I am sorry I jumped to conclusions. :rolleyes: :o Gosh, I am such a dork. :o I know that you are a nice person, I have lurked for about 2 years here so yeah, I know you are nice but I did not know that you are a Christian. :rolleyes: I'm not very bright. :o

guster girl
10-26-2004, 12:37 PM

;) :D ;) :D ;) :D ;)

But, some people are just sensitive, and, no matter if it's joke or not, something almost always offends someone. I like your sense of humor. with or without the smilies. ;)

Samantha Puppy
10-26-2004, 12:45 PM
Oh ok, I did not KNOW that you are a Christian. I have noticed a few negative comments about Christians a few times on here (not recently) so I wanted to say something. I am sorry I jumped to conclusions. :rolleyes: :o Gosh, I am such a dork. :o I know that you are a nice person, I have lurked for about 2 years here so yeah, I know you are nice but I did not know that you are a Christian. :rolleyes: I'm not very bright. Stop apologizing, goof! :) No need to. Just maybe next time you are unsure of something I said (or anyone else for that matter), ask me (or them) if they meant it lightly or if they really meant it. I used to "jump" to conclusions like you did and it took me a long time to be able to ask first and then react, but it's made getting along with people online much easier!! :) 'Cuase if they were joking, you can just laugh along with them... but if they really meant it, while you're waiting for them to tell you that, you can think up really good, well-thought out responses. ;) :D

But I promise you, if you see a ;) :D in my post, I most definitely meant it as a joke. I know that some people will still get offended, but I can't change my sense of humor. :p That's part of what makes me who I am! :D

Now, back to microchipping... Samantha is not microchipped or tattooed. I am much too afraid of putting her through pain. I know that's silly and not responsible, but I don't know... my parent's dog lasted 16 years without a microchip or tattoo. I like to think that she could too (only longer, please).

pitc9
10-26-2004, 12:50 PM
Both of mine are microchipped, and wear collars with tags at all times.

Both were over a year old when they were chipped, neither felt a thing!!!

GraciesMommy
10-26-2004, 01:17 PM
My 2 cents worth here:
Gracie wears an ID tag with her picture on it. (ok the picture is for looks..lol) No chip/no tattoo..altho I wouldn't be against a chip..I have 4 tats myself..and I sure wouldn't want her to have to endure one if its anything like mine were..I had a choice to sit thru the irritating make ya wanna slap somebody pain...she wouldn't..

AND here is the main reason why I like tags....some people are more likely to stop and check on a stray dog if they are wearing a tag...or that has been my experience. If I see a dog on my street loose and its wearing a tag...I am not quite as afraid to call it to check it out..(maybe that is a psychological thing, I don't know) but for some reason a collar/tag means "more friendly"...that could be way off base, like I said, that is just how my mind works, right or wrong..lol.

She will be spayed in Dec..and I will check into the chip...if its no pain...I can see where you both gain..

Interesting topic ! Thanks for everyone's imput!

guster girl
10-26-2004, 01:33 PM
My last three pets have been tagged and microchipped. :)

Miranda_Rae
10-26-2004, 02:42 PM
YAY!!! :D :D Heidi's getting michrochipped today. I talked my dad into it! :D

sammy101
10-26-2004, 04:25 PM
Kodies not microschipped or tattoed.
My RB dal Sheena had to get microchipped b/c in Germany,all dogs have to have microchips,thats the only reason she got one.
Kodie doesnt need one b/c he ALWAYS has his collar on.:)

guster girl
10-26-2004, 04:34 PM
YAY!!! :D :D Heidi's getting michrochipped today. I talked my dad into it! :D

Very cool! Collars come off too easily for them to be the only form of id, so, I'm happy that your dad agreed! I know it hasn't bothered any of my pets to get the chip inserted. :)

Tollers-n-Dobes
10-26-2004, 04:38 PM
My dogs are have a name tag with our phone number and info on it. They alos have a liscense tag and Tango and Echo are Tattoed, we might get them microchipped though.

Miranda_Rae
10-26-2004, 05:14 PM
I just got back from getting her microchipped. We did it at the humane society, the only place that you do it. :) I think i am going to volunteer there. I would have earlier but at that time I couldn't handle it and too many things were happening in my life. So yep, excited! :D They said she was calm, lol.

guster girl
10-26-2004, 05:42 PM
I just got back from getting her microchipped. We did it at the humane society, the only place that you do it. :) I think i am going to volunteer there. I would have earlier but at that time I couldn't handle it and too many things were happening in my life. So yep, excited! :D They said she was calm, lol.

Awesome! And, congratulations!