PDA

View Full Version : Fridge broke down-just venting

Barbara
07-01-2003, 09:03 AM
Ok. Saturday night our fridge broke down. It's a built in fridge plus freezer. Temperatures were in the high eighties.
No chance to get something solved on Sundays here, so Monday first thing we called the service. They came this morning (Siegmar was home) and found the motor was broken and it was too expensive to fix it. Cost 84 Euro (about 90 US$).
Since then he is trying to get a new fridge. It must be the same format and with whomever he speaks tells him to take a new length (outside, inside, fridge itself, built-in space....). We could now get a fridge in one week for 749 Euro (ca. 800 US$) including the cost for getting it built in. Or maybe a fridge for 759 Euro until Friday but it doesn't seem possible to get an instant fridge. Glad temperatures dropped to high 70s.

It will cost more to get rid of the old one which was only 5 years old.

I had not planned the expenses. And in addition all that hassle:mad:

Sorry -nobody has to answer this..... It just steals you days -and they all tell you in the TV promotion life is so easy in the consumer paradise western world.

Edwina's Secretary
07-01-2003, 09:12 AM
Why do refrigerators always break down when it is hot??? (I suppose it has something to do with the extra stress on the motor....) Okay...why do they always break down on weekends or holidays???

Five years isn't much of a life for a refrigerator...and now you'll have to eat out all week! :rolleyes: ;)

babolaypo65
07-01-2003, 09:16 AM
oh man, not fun! I'm shopping for a new swamp cooler (AC) right now, because I suspect mine will die soon. But ACs are cheaper than refrigerators. Sorry you're having to do that! It sucks when you havent saved for it.

Pam
07-01-2003, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
and now you'll have to eat out all week! :rolleyes: ;)

That may be the only nice part of this whole mess! Do you have a friend/neighbor who could store your food for you until your new one arrives? When you add up the total of the $ that the food inside costs it can be staggering so I hope you can salvage most of it!

Our refrigerator broke one year on New Year's Eve morning. We took all of our frozen things to the downstairs freezer and the items from the refrigerator section went into the garage (where it was quite cold, being winter). Then we were off to Circuit City before they closed. We were fortunate enough to have the new one delivered on New Year's Day! We were dumbfounded! Good luck and don't worry about venting!

lailamara
07-01-2003, 09:37 AM
Barbara, I feel your pain. I too have unexpected bills this summer. It's been very hot here 32 C and our air conditioning unit doesn't work and our furnace needs to be replaced . This will be 5,000.00 to 6,000 ( canadian dollars of course). The bricks of our house have to be cleaned , another 1,400, the walkway replaced 1,100 and last but not least the roof over the verandah 550.00. I am depressed and financially wiped out. My husband says this is an investment for when we sell in 7 years. Meanwhile I will live on air and water !!!!!!! The cats get first dibs on the food!:mad:

Randi
07-01-2003, 09:47 AM
Oh Barbara, that sucks! Like Pam suggested, can you have at least the frozen food in your neighbours? That would help a great deal.

I agree, the worst is the hassle - getting the right size etc. is a real pain in the b#¤%!! We had the same problem when we got a new owen. Had to cut a bit off the table next to it. Arggh!!

Best of luck getting one which last more than 5 years!!

Now, go and try some restaurants and tell us all about it! ;)

boscibo
07-01-2003, 10:34 AM
Ours broke down last August, too. Luckily we have an old (like from the '50's!) fridge in the basement, and a small chest freezer. So all the food went downstairs and we had time to shop around for a new one. We got a new one because our old one was about 20 years old. I still lost some frozen stuff (the worst tragedy was a gallon of ice cream :( ) because we didn't notice in time, but most food was saved.

Barbara
07-01-2003, 11:56 AM
Thank you girls! I'm already better now. Laila, I feel with you! This sounds really tough. It all adds up and sometimes you just can't avoid spending money.

At least the new fridge will be really nice and use much less electricity than the old one:)

Logan
07-01-2003, 12:43 PM
Poor Barbara!!! I can't imagine that happening!! I buy in bulk, which means if my freezer went out, I'd be in a heap of trouble!! Scott has a refrigerator/freezer in storage that we need to get over here as a backup. It would help a lot to have it. I think you have just inspired me!!

Good luck to you. Can't believe it will take so long to have a new one delivered!! But hopefully, it will be a good one, with a long life, when you do get it!!

Logan

RICHARD
07-01-2003, 01:43 PM
barbara....

it could be worse......just think of having a plumbing problem!;)

Barbara
07-01-2003, 02:48 PM
Richard:

GRRRRRRRRR:D :D :D