PDA

View Full Version : I got a bit worried today, worried and mad!

ChrisH
06-30-2003, 06:04 PM
As you may or may not know my dog Bob tends to pick up stuff when we are out walking - anything and everything. Anyway, we were out on the field close to my home, just coming back home in fact when he picks something up, manage to get it out of his mouth and it turns out to be a syringe (picture attached, you can see where his teeth held on to it) but thankfully no needle left on the end, I took it home and put it in the rubbish bin.
I thought this might happen one day because of Bob`s picking up habit and that, come nightime, you can bet your life there will be some druggie shooting up out there. I have found syringes on the field before -the last one hadn`t even been used!- and have called someone out to dispose of it safely.

I did make inquires about if there was any risk to Bob and myself after handling the syringe today (even though I don`t really think there is) but even though I called several times I didn`t get to speak to the person I wanted. Maybe tommorow.

Well, thats about it, thanks for reading!

aly
06-30-2003, 06:12 PM
Maybe someone was using it for another purpose besides drugs? (wishful thinking, I know). I use those kind of syringes sometimes to feed my bottle babies.

catland
06-30-2003, 06:33 PM
that sounds awful. If you didn't prick yourself with the needle I'm guessing you'd be ok. (But I don't have medical training so please don't take my word on it).

I hope you and Bob are ok.

NoahsMommy
06-30-2003, 07:08 PM
That's horrible! I know those people may not be of sound mind while they are getting high...but is there no other place to do that? A field? Jeeesh!

I'm so glad there wasn't a needle.

anna_66
06-30-2003, 07:39 PM
That would be quite scary:eek: I'm glad to hear that there was no needle and Bob is alright. Tell him he shoudn't be picking up such things;)

binka_nugget
06-30-2003, 08:06 PM
I'm glad it didn't have a needle in it...that sounds like quite a scare. I remember this one time, my cousin had found a needle after sticking her hand in a pocket of a luggage bag. Very scary indeed.

AmberLee
07-01-2003, 12:08 AM
Ewww! This has got to be really unnerving for you!

IttyBittyKitty
07-01-2003, 04:52 AM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

If they must do that, why can't they just do it in their own homes? Sheesh!

I'm glad there was no needle! You should be alright (again no medical training, just common sense) as long as you disinfected well when you got home.

Randi
07-01-2003, 05:43 AM
No wonder you were worried! What an irresponsable behaviour, they could at least hae taken it to a bin. :mad:

As long as Bob didn't chew a hole in it, he should be safe. I suppose you checked that. A good thing you took steps to have the field checked for more!

Stay safe!! :)

lynnestankard
07-01-2003, 07:02 AM
Good grief Chris - that's too scary. I reckon you're OK if there's no needle in - but hey what do I know!

I feel so angry for you 'cos we've had a similar thing happening on the field at the back of our house - only this one was found by a child!

I wonder if these people who shoot up in public places have any sense whatsoever? If makes my blood boil :mad:

Would it be worth having a word with the local police? Maybe some sort of watch could be kept on the field concerned. At least if the users know there could be a police presence it might make them keep away.

Anyway I'm just relieved that Bob and yourself were unharmed :)

Lynne

Pam
07-01-2003, 07:49 AM
Wow! I'm glad there was no needle and you were able to take it away from Bob before he chomped down on it and maybe somehow licked some of the residue. I think I would alert police also so they may watch this particular area. Bob may have a future as a drug sniffing dog. What do you think? :)

Heather Wallace
07-01-2003, 01:02 PM
Sorry to hear this, yes it is sad that people leave those things lying there for kids and animals to hurt themselves on. Hope Bob is ok now.

ChrisH
07-01-2003, 03:30 PM
Thanks everyone for your responses and concern.

Maybe someone was using it for another purpose besides drugs? (wishful thinking, I know). I use those kind of syringes sometimes to feed my bottle babies.
Oh, Aly I wish. I know what you mean about the ones used at home, I have one too, to give Bob liquid medicine, but my previous experience of finding these things leaves me with no doubt that one is/was used for injecting purposes.

That's horrible! I know those people may not be of sound mind while they are getting high...but is there no other place to do that? A field? Jeeesh!
Kelly, sadly, the people who use the stuff have no other thought except how to satisfy their craving, some people around here have even found used needles in their gardens!

Would it be worth having a word with the local police? Maybe some sort of watch could be kept on the field concerned. At least if the users know there could be a police presence it might make them keep away.
Good idea Lynne, but the police are already aware of the problem, and the sad fact is that it is almost impossible to fully police this particular field, or indeed the area for drug users. Though I will say the police are making some inroads in the drug situation in general with detection and arrest numbers increasing. But I doubt that we will ever get rid of illegal drugs and the problems they bring, either here in Wales, in the UK, or indeed any country, anywhere. JMO

Bob may have a future as a drug sniffing dog. What do you think?
Pam, you could be right!:D

Well, I never tried again to check anything about the health risks, I `ve gave it some thought and decided that we, Bob and I, will most likely be ok. And if by any chance we will not, worrying about it will do no good!
Thanks once again for your thoughts and concern, it means a lot. :)

Chris & :) Bob.

RICHARD
07-01-2003, 03:58 PM
take care in picking up the syringe!!!
do not stick yourself and take care if there are any fluids within the barrel...

If you have any open cuts in your skin, hand or nail area PLEASE USE EXTRA CAUTION in touching any part of the syringe.

wash your hand as soon as possible with a good antibacterial soap or bleach, and you should be alright!

ChrisH
07-02-2003, 08:16 AM
Thanks Richard! In this instance I couldn`t be careful in getting hold of the syringe because it was in my dog Bob`s mouth :D but other than that...there wasn`t an actual needle still attached (must still be on the field somewhere), luckily Bob didn`t puncture the syringe, just made a dent, I am almost certain there wasn`t any fluid left inside, I don`t have any broken skin on my hands and when I got home I washed my hands with a bleach mixture AND anti-bacterial soap. So I got some things right sort of by instinct!:)
And now, thanks to you, I know exactly what to do, and not to do, if I, or anyone I know, find and have to pick up one again.
Once again, thanks! :)

Chris

Cataholic
07-02-2003, 01:49 PM
Chris,
How awful for you and Bob. While things seem ok this time...what about training Bob to 'leave it'? I know it is easier said than done...especially with a working dog, but, think you could initiate some training? Also, training him to 'drop it'? Just a thought!!!

ChrisH
07-02-2003, 03:39 PM
Oh, you are so right Johanna, if only.... of all the dogs I have owned/lived with Bob is the only one who has me beat on a lot of training issues!:D I won`t go into the details because I will only bore you rigid and re-live all the frustration.... but he is getting better as he is getting older, for example if it had been last year I would have had a real fight with him before I got that syringe out of his mouth whereas on Monday I only had to stand there for about 3 minutes with my hand in his mouth waiting for him to release it! :rolleyes: :D. Seriously, he IS a lot better now, most of the time he will listen and leave it, but in some cases, like Monday, he is sniffing around and I don`t always see what is there before he has it in his mouth, and he seems to go totally deaf when I say `drop it` he just stands there and doggy laughs at me, even with the something in his mouth!:D He really is a nawtee dog!

Chris